Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
What's the general route for someone finishing up a C.S. degree who wants to get into infosec? Seems like most of the jobs I'm seeing require CISSP or some other security cert along with a bachelors. I've taken a bachelor's level Networking class and most of the stuff in the Network+ book looks self evident. Should I just start with the CCNA/Security+ and start knocking out certifications focusing on infosec stuff? These job listings all seem written for people who already have +10 years of experience ie. degree, CISSP, OSCP, etc... for a infosec engineering position. Is there just no such thing as an actual entry level position in the field?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Martytoof posted:

Entry level InfoSec is being a SOC slave which you definitely don't want to do. Your best bet to avoid SOC is, unfortunately, the "who you know" approach. You may get lucky and find someone outside of a SOC looking to hire an entry level infosec analyst -- we hired one a few months ago -- but your competition will be people looking to escape from a SOC so you'll be behind the ball already :/

CCNA is great for network fundamentals. Can't comment on Sec+. CEH is apparently okay I guess but I haven't looked into that as well. OSCP is a jump up in ability and seeing as how it's a practical exam I think you should be able to prove yourself once you have that under your belt.

No real easy answer, sorry. My experience was a total "who you know" situation which was a lateral move from IT with heavy network leaning to InfoSec/Policy/Governance. I'm trying to pivot myself now from governance to audit and compliance but that's another complete skillset I need to develop.

Yeah we've got a local infosec company that is always hiring for their SOC. I've been silently waiting for a developer position to open to get my foot in the door, because that SOC position isn't going to pay the bills. Other than that I guess it makes sense that there isn't really an "entry level" engineer position. I guess I'l just start working on some certs to demonstrate networking competency and stay on as a software engineer until something pops up. Yeah I'm a dweeb and really want to see what working in offensive security or something like malware analysis is like. It's interesting. :colbert:

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I'm a software developer with a CS major and I'm tired of not knowing about basic networking principals. Where's a good consolidated place to start learning about things like what the heck a domain controller is, which subnet am I on???, what a packet is, and why you sniff them? I'm used to getting stuff crammed into my face 3 months at a time so if theres a fantastic online course around that could assist me even better.