Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

My focus has been in data storage, but only in NAS, which is pretty narrow. I've been thinking about looking into Big Data, but I don't know what's the best choice - Hadoop? Sparks? Or maybe there are courses that cover all of the important technologies? If any storage guys can offer some wisdom, it'd be much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Can you elaborate a little more on what you're interested in? "Big Data" is one of those umbrella terms like "cloud" which are so big they're meaningless (that phrase probably looks pretty good with the cloud-to-butt extension huh?)

Since you mention being a storage guy, I'm guessing you care less about the crunching and mining and analyzing of that data, and more about the nuts and bolts of how it's stored? It sounds like maybe you're interested in distributed storage. Things like Hadoop's HDFS, Ceph, Gluster, etc. where you're using a ton of cheap commodity parts to build an enormous and resilient pool, vs buying a traditional fuckoff-huge (and costly) SAN. That's definitely a good area to concentrate on. There may not be a ton of jobs, but there are also very few candidates who know anything about it whatsoever, so you will be in demand in that sense.

I'm not aware of much in the way of certs in this field. There's a lot of on-the-job learning going on. If you can find a local meetup group on any remotely relevant topic, showing up to those would be a great way to get some guidance and even mentoring.

I'd also suggest leveling up your Linux and networking skills if you really want to go down that path.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I don't know if I actually can elaborate because it's unfamiliar territory - so I'm not entirely sure what I want. It just seems to be where data storage is headed and it also sounds interesting to me. VMWare is something I might consider as well. It's also worth mentioning that my previous job was outsourced, so I'm looking for anything that would help make my resume look a bit more appealing. I know employers tend to value experience over education, but my previous employer is providing some free training money, so I might as well use it.

When you say networking skills, do you mean "plug the ethernet cable here" networking or "go out and meet some recruiters" networking?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Has anyone done any of the AWS certifications? I'm currently working on the Solutions Architect (Associate) one and I'm wondering how much rote memorization might be needed. I've been watching the A Cloud Guru videos and they have some practice tests, but I'm wondering if there are other decent practice tests available.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Excellent, thank you. Did you use any practice exams?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Working in support tech you have at least a 50% less chance of being shanked by an angry lunatic :v: