Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freezingprocess
Mar 25, 2005

At the ripe old age of 46 I have to find a new career (thanks, global pandemic).

I am falling back on my old hobby of computer repair only to find out that the A+ cert has flourished into a nightmare of too much info.

I am going for it anyway.

I have an in at a defense contractor but I need my A+.

I have prof. Messers test notes and practice exams. I also have some books . However, I question how much relevance is in them.

A+ for dummies has a lot about legacy hardware and such.

So my questions are.... Do I really need to know what an AMD Sempron goes into which chip set?

Do I need to know so much about what transfer speeds of IDE, AGP, ISA or PCI (not PCIe) are?
Is LDAP tcp/389 really that important?

I want to study the right things and not waste time trying to get my old alcohol beaten brain to slowly absorb trivia.

I love technology and computing. I want to be in that profession but I am tired of spending money on things that are not going to help.

Any suggestions?

freezingprocess fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freezingprocess
Mar 25, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

Have you done any COMPTIA+ practice tests to see what's on the exam?

Only professor Messer's and the ones that came with my A+ for dummies book.

There is a definite difference between those.

I am sure Professor Messer is the better of the two. However, I have to be cynical.

freezingprocess
Mar 25, 2005

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

754 thank gently caress I did not honestly did not expect to pass by the end of that lol.

I was so depressed when I finished the 220-1002 the last time I took it. Failing a second time is embarrassing.

got 734.

A+ certified.

loving shocked. I feel like I don't even deserve it. However, I'll take it.

Back into the workforce now. :v:

freezingprocess
Mar 25, 2005

FCKGW posted:

For me, 3/4 of the questions felt like out of the 4 possible answers, 2 of them could be the right one. I was always sweating that I knew the answer but was unsure what exactly they were asking.

It seems like most of the questions are like that. It is easy to eliminate 2 possible answers. However the 2 you are left with are usually a matter of opinion.
So frustrating.

freezingprocess
Mar 25, 2005

About to land my first job in IT. It is with the DoD.

I never wanted to be part of the military industrial complex.

However, bills aren't going to be paid with a clear conscious.

All with just an A+ cert and and AS from a community college.

Any thoughts?

freezingprocess
Mar 25, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

You can’t be picky if you’ve got to provide for yourself/family. Congrats on your new job.

It’s important to keep on learning, in IT probably even more than in other lines of work. So keep up the good work and pick another technology you’d like to learn. Set a goal (q1/q2 2021 maybe?) and start working towards it.

Will do.

I have bigger goals.

The training and experience I get here will hopefully lead to somewhere else I'd rather be.

I still feel dirty.

freezingprocess
Mar 25, 2005

I passed my SY0-601 yesterday.
I have A+ and S+ now.
Onward to AWS.
:woop:

freezingprocess
Mar 25, 2005

Cyks posted:

Grats!
Just remember to pay the lazy tax of $350 every three years to keep them active (if you care about that).

Are they seriously charging $380 for the exam now? The 301 was under $300 IIRC.

I bought the retake bundle for $550
:suicide:
I passed on the first try.

freezingprocess
Mar 25, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

Some hiring managers may care, so it can absolutely help. But to put it finely, once you get that first IT job, I’d start leaving it off your resume. You don’t want to stay in helpdesk for very long and A+ is the quintessence of a helldesk cert.

I actually don’t know much about the Sec+ these days but I’m pretty sure the government cares about it last I checked. Net+ is definitely the more technical of the two.

A+ and a security clearance got me through the door (Help Desk) with the DoD. Sec+ got me a Sys Admin position which comes with a significant pay raise.
I guess it all depends on what path you take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freezingprocess
Mar 25, 2005

My workplace made me get an ITIL4 certification.

Thanks, workplace. You spent tons of money on teaching people proprietary word salad for common sense principals.

I considered quitting. For real.