Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Who was it that was trying CCNA Data Center? Did they succeed? Im getting back into deep study on 640-911 as I got side tracked for the last 2 months with a project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Ive been reading some scuttlebutt on some other forums, seems that there is poo poo on the test about the actual Nexus stuff about licensing/hardware (slots, Rack Unit size) that is NOT in 640-911 but is actually chapter 2 of the 640-916 Cisco book in that pack.

If you dont have the 640-916 book, you can get the update on the Cisco Press book for appendix B-2

http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/images/9781587204548/updates/38_9781587204548_appb2.pdf

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I think I am getting ready, Im passing all the practice tests with 90% or better from the CD in the back of Odoms 640-911 book.

Ive spent the last few hours doing entire chapters of the one subject at at time, so to speak, IP addressing I have down stone loving cold. Usually my gently caress ups is selecting more than the answers require, 3 instead of 2, or not reading the "which one is not" type of question basically rushing a bit.

The CCNA R&S that I passed last year, really wasnt "that" difficult, even with me loving up the EIRP sim by clicking Next after answering only the first of four questions in that set.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Frame Relay was pretty easy for me. Like others said, get Spanning Tree down. Be prepared to look at a diagram and know which ports are blocking/forwarding.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
640-911 tomorrow at 2pm. Im pretty up and up on the actual CCNA R&S type stuff when it comes to how it is configured in NX-OS, I am just worried about the hardware questions from chapter 2, so much crap about power requirements, RUs used, number of fans, BS that should all stay on an accessible spec sheet, not memory!

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Failed 640-911. 723 needed 818 to pass. A few things I know I didn't study for as feared and one thing that really pisses me off is where 2 commands do the same goddamn thing but you can only pick one answer. I HATE those types. Other things mentioned are not in the Official Cisco Guide. Wrote down a bunch of poo poo when I got back to my car for concerns I gotta study up on.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
CBT Nuggets and the Odom book.

What is severely lacking is license and some specific hardware info as I think I stated. Be sure to get the appendix from the ciscopress site, which is actually chapter 2 of 640-911.

There is also some "gotcha" questions as regards to if one command works over another when they BOTH will work, but you can only choose one. Other gotchas are like some interchangable terminology where if you are with some coworkers and say this or that, they know what you are talking about, but for the test it must be exactly this specific term. I loving HATE questions like that. Other stuff talking a little bit too specific about system images and such. I need to go back into the Odom book to see if some of this stuff was mentioned. When I got back to my car I immediately started dumping what I could about questions that hung me up so I can research and see if I can lock down the answer. This is my first failed test in a while and I realize next time I will take a notepad and pen into the center and put that in the locker so I can start jotting down stuff a lot faster than waiting to get to my car so things will be fresher. But I seriously filled up a page in hasty writing on looking some stuff up.

I want to get the Lammle book just so I have exposure from a different perspective and I think I will get this book off Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1587143046/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=27WQMLUNPHSCM&coliid=I3ENM57G8L34G0

There were plenty of dead loving simple questions where you literally spend less than 20 seconds on them because the answer is so obvious as to what is correct.

Forgot to mention, the Sims themselves were very easy, its all show commands and auto complete works, cant use show run is all.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 16, 2016

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Storage+ is a bottom rank cert so I'm not surprised. Their official ranking goes A+, N+, S+. They say if you have more than one cert you only need to renew the highest level to keep them all. I take this to mean if I have N+ and pass the higher exam, S+, the N+ gets renewed.

I guess we'll see this year after I get the S+. If they want $150 for renewal I'll let it lapse.

Interestingly enough I saw 3 people taking Storage+ at my test center on Friday.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Bigass Moth posted:

Couple hundred dollars for a Cisco cert doubled my salary in less than a year.

About 2 years ago I got into my network engineering position with a 22% raise, but no yearly bonus that year, or the next, when I got my CCNA, or this one. Company is too busy buying other companies and laying off those in mergers to give out raises. Dont know why I keep trying sometimes.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
So on my 640-911 study that Im now backtracking through,

Can someone point me to different stuff on NX-OS on what you do at the (boot)# prompt and loader> prompt?

The only thing a web search is bringing me to is do an "install all" command where kickstart file is the first file referenced in the command followed by the system image. The 640-911 book didn't go over this AT ALL and a cursory glance at 640-916 in the same package doesnt contain it from what I can tell as well.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
ITIL as stated is boring, pay attention and you will pass.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

LochNessMonster posted:

Absolutely nothing except a checkmark on your skills box with some/many employers.

That wont amount to poo poo in the way of getting extra pay.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

InevitableCheese posted:

I'm studying for my CCNA using both Lammle's and Odom's books. What ways did you guys study these books side by side, since the objectives and layout are different?

What is mean is like Chapter 3 in one book isn't about the same topics as Chapter 3 in the other book. I tried doing it by exam objectives, but they do the thing where "every chapter covers this topic in some way" a lot of the time.

I may end up just reading one book and then skimming the other, and using both for the practice exams and questions.

I used Odom with CBT Nuggets Videos, this guys videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO74ZTcc648

and Packet Tracer that I got through Netacad.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Oh god, the terms of Whaling, Phishing, and other things ending in ing are flooding back from my Sec+ study.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Bigass Moth posted:

I see you haven't taken many Cisco exams.

Oh yea, that 640-911 had a doozy on there that absolutely infuriated me.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

InevitableCheese posted:

Yeah, it's still locked up outside of the NA courses. Have you checked out Cisco VIRL? I think it's around $200 a year for personal use.

$79 if you have college email I think.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

crunk dork posted:

I've seen a few different people say that the book is definitely not enough on its own.

Why is this becoming such a loving trend?

How do people break into these fields without the hands on experience or knowledge implanted otherwise if the material is not in the books?

It was like this with my CCNA DC 640-911. Ive studied a bit more OUTSIDE of the guides since failing the test, (not dumps) to find the answers because now that I know what a few of those questions were I knew what vague general direction to look for. But as in my case there were a few specific questions that were patently nowhere mentioned in the Official Certification Guide from Cisco by Odom in its 667 pages.

One thing I will always do from now on is take a pen/notepad into the testing center and put those in the locker and start dumping my concerns of questions after the test (if I fail). I did this last time, but had to wait till I got to the car and I am sure in that 5 minute walk I lost a few things.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

NippleFloss posted:

I passed the 640-911 with nothing but the Lammle book.

How long ago? Did it ask anything about system images, kickstarts, bios bullshit?

quote:

How long does it usually take for the certificate to arrive?

Bout 2 to 3 weeks for mine.

quote:

Your experience has me worried for when I make my attempt at that exam. Total poo poo lottery on what questions you're going to get doesn't make me feel any better.

Well, learn how Nexus displays a routing table, and to be vague and non nda killer, look at bootup, kickstarts, boot loaders, bios, goddamned loving licensing and which Nexus hardware has how many RUs and can or cannot support XYZ feature license.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 27, 2016

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Slider posted:

I'm leaning towards the sys admin role.

The N+ looked appealing to me because it would be a good refresh from everything I had learned in school. At one point I had stuff like OSI model memorized but nearly two years later I dont remember half of it.

Is it possible to get server 2012 for personal use without resorting to :filez: ?

Everything you mentioned sounds like it would be a good idea to practice. Are the Professor Messer videos recommended?

If you are a student, check out OnTheHub.com as well. They sometimes have time limited or even free for "Educational" purposes software for this type of stuff.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Wildcard masks are easy sauce. If you can do subnetting it's just the opposite of the subnet mask. 255.255.252.0 is 0.0.3.255.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Can you look at the exam topics and not feel fuzzy at all on what they cover and what they mean?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Auto MDIX makes it largely useless to know but if you make cables like I do that color setup will never leave your mind.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I have scheduled my retake of 640-911 Cisco Intro to Data Center Networking tomorrow.

I have reached "that point" again on study where when you see what you are looking over, you know exactly what it means, but this time, obsessing over the new content that was on my test that was nowhere to be found in the study materials that I got from both Odom and Lammle.

However, my luck will be to get a few new random questions that are also new that are also STILL not covered and probably fail....again. If I fail again I am shelving the DC track until second edition materials come out and Ill just move on to CCNP R&S.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Passed 640-911 second try. I am absolutely convinced that what got me on the first test was the hardware specific material such as model numbers license info, what to do want to kickstart image or how to boot into the bios on a certain piece of equipment. The stuff is simply not mentioned in the official guides.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Do it! I went back with 28 credits at my school and a baby on the way. Get it over with!

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I dunno what the old stuff was like but my CCNA was not terrible.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Ok bear with me here.

I am now studying for my 640-916 and it is dipping into virtualization with the Nexus 1000v.

The most I have ever done with VMWare was run Fusion on my Mac so I can have access to Windows when in the Mac OS.

Is there a crash course on VMWare/ESXi and such?

I thought all I needed was VMWare Workstation Pro so that I could then boot up the Nexus 1000v and dink around with it.

Being where I work, the server/VM and Network teams are pretty heavily segregated. They drop in a server and ask for network resources and we provide that. We really dont run anything on the systems for our own servers at all for the business, so looking for a primer is what I need I guess. I need to get a base understanding of the concepts involved in running a server with a VM environment. What would you guys recommend?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Yeah but it's on the exam objectives soooo

And on the other part, installing ESXi and such, like I said I need a primer to I can get familiar somewhat, with the VMWare side of things, the basics...uh..basically.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 17, 2016

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Got a Workstation 12 license for my workstation laptop with 16GB of Ram and a Core i7 2.7 CPU. Im not needing anything intensive, but to play around with and to familiarize myself with the setup and all.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Thanks I will give this a look.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Without breaking the NDA, go over these pages.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/video/11931536/how-restore-cisco-nexus-switch-loader-prompt

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Cisco_Nexus_7000_Series_NX-OS_Troubleshooting_Guide_--_Troubleshooting_Installs,_Upgrades,_and_Reboots

You will need to know some specific license type stuff.

There are some charts I found but cant find now that I had printed out that have a license breakdown or feature set for a device.

Know that most of your Nexus stuff can do VPC by default, but you will need a license/feature enablement for other stuff, it isnt "terrible" so much as it really is reference that should be left up to lookup in the field, not rote memorization for a friggin test.

Lookup Golden BIOS and Callhome and go over some of that stuff.

You will likely get questions like, what is 4 RUs that support XY ports and specific features.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
For what it is worth, my test did not ask any specific line card info, but more of specific model number of the router/switch in question, and types of licenses.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
What version is the "Free" version? I still have my old Netacad login and it is up to 6.3. It is no longer a standalone .exe file where you can just run it anywhere, as it forces you to login now.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Ozu posted:

The one I just downloaded is 6.3 and it asks you to log into your NetAcad account or use Guest.

I dont remember the guest option I guess.

Anyway, it is a pretty good tool, you really dont need anything past this to study for CCNA R&S in lab equipment terms.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Weird, I thought you had to have CCNP before you can do CCIE.

quote:

There are no formal prerequisites for CCIE certification. Other professional certifications or training courses are not required. Instead, candidates must first pass a written qualification exam and then the corresponding hands-on lab exam. You are expected to have an in-depth understanding of the topics in the exam blueprints and strongly encouraged to have three to five years of job experience before attempting certification.

I had always just assumed you started with CCNA R&S, then CCNP, then CCIE.....

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Man CCNA Data Center part 2 640-916 is dry dry dry dry dryyyyyyyyy. At least CCNA R&S was interesting..... This chapter on Data Center Storage Architecture is just so......guhhh

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

ChubbyThePhat posted:

NIC on a server dies; must be a NETWORK PROBLEM. Bump ticket to networking team.

In my 2 years of working as a Network Engineer I have just accepted the fact that it is always the networks fault. Even when it isn't.

You just have to suck it up and PROVE yourself and your poo poo so many goddamn times.

Hey, Vlan 230 is missing on my server connection..no it isnt. Yes it is... (gets output to show the interfaces and port channels and trunks all show that 230 is there and up,), yeah well.....there must be something wrong with the network still!

:suicide:

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
ITIL doesnt have a lot of bullshit, just a lot of boring.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Amazon Web Services

https://aws.amazon.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Well that was fast!

http://www.ciscopress.com/store/ccent-ccna-icnd1-100-105-official-cert-guide-9781587205804

ICND2 is about a month out and the combo a bit after that.