Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Moey posted:

Anyone have an idea of when VMware will stop offering the VCP-DCV510 and VCP-DCV550? I know it is probably coming soon as 6.0 should be officially announced at VMworld. I never paid attention to how long the old exams stick around after. Need to sit the VCP sometime soon.
VCP4 exams were still being offered until May 31, 2014 so I'm sure you'll have at least a year or two once 6.0 is released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Mouse Cadet posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for ITIL practice tests that are close in difficulty to the real exam?
Use the one on the official site.

http://www.itil-officialsite.com/Qualifications/ITILSamplePapers/ITILSamplePapers.aspx

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It's real.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2014/sep14/09-22pearsonpr.aspx

quote:

Delivered through a process called “online proctoring,” select exams can be delivered through the cloud and taken by test candidates from their home, office or any other location that meets security requirements. This new capability makes testing accessible to candidates who do not live or work within easy travel distance of a testing center while protecting the integrity of the certification process. Candidates will be supervised in real time by Pearson VUE proctors using webcams, microphones and other security protocols.

Those who certify via online proctoring will need to meet security arrangements, including a clean, private room or office, with a desk space clearly visible via webcam. They must also complete security-related admission steps, such as an ID check, with a greeter before testing can begin. In addition, the proctor is trained to notice telltale signs of cheating and will require the candidate to do a visual sweep of the test-taking environment with the webcam.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

1000101 posted:

Take any CCNP exam. I'm fond of TSHOOT as the most fun.
Just to verify, you can mix in older version of the exams, right? Say pass the 642-902 version of ROUTE and then study 300-115/300-135 later on.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It's probably a bit obscure but anyone ever do anything with Acme Packet/Oracle SBC certification? The company is willing to pay but as far as I can see there's 1 certification and about 20 different 5 day training courses you can take for $3500 a pop. Materials outside of them seem a bit light.

"Oracle SBC Configuration and Administration" seems like the best bet though.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Looks like I was wrong and the SY0-301 is going to be retired on December 31. Should I just study for and take the 301 while I still can? Would 2 months be enough?
More than enough. Read the Gibson book, skim it again and use common sense. Know your definitions (HIDS v HIPS, some basic encryption types, etc..) and you'll be fine.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I'm more than a little upset over how MCSE: Communication and Messaging (Lync and Exchange) require Office 365 exams now.
Lync 2013 will soon be Skype for Business. This probably plays into it.

http://blogs.skype.com/2014/11/11/introducing-skype-for-business/

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Baconroll posted:

Assuming that goes well I'm thinking of either doing Certified Ethical Hacker or CISSP next. The CISSP would be nice but the thought of a 6 hour exam is a bit of a brain killer.
As much as it gets poo poo on by InfoSec professionals, the CISSP actually holds weight with human resources and recruiters. Definitely head in that direction.

I can't imagine too many people in a position to hire looking at Certified Ethical Hacker on a resume and thinking anything other than, "Oh, ok".

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

skooma512 posted:

What do InfoSec people like as far as certs? Are there any?

Probably OSCP and the various SANS certs. I have none of them, still studying on and off for the CISSP.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Drunk Orc posted:

I take my Sec+ in about three and a half hours, I hope I don't get any dumb Linux CLI questions. I got a couple on a practice test last night and it threw me for a loop. :eng99:
You wont. You're more likely to get "Choose which one of these is hardware-based encryption". You'll pass.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Mastering VMware vSphere 6 will be released on April 6 and is available for pre-order.

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-VMware-vSphere-Nick-Marshall/dp/1118925157/ref=zg_bsnr_3740_1

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

TheEffect posted:

My question is should I bother with the MTA before jumping into MSCA? Should I get ALL of the (IT Infrastructure) MTA certs? Also, should I try to get multiple MSCA certs, or just the latest for Windows Server 2012? What about Windows 8? My ultimate goal is to become a "Corporate IT Systems Administrator", or something along those lines. Currently I'm an "Operations Systems Manager".
God no. If you're interested in being a server infrastructure administrator, focus on the MCSA 2012/MCSE: Server Infrastructure and then RHCSA/RHCE. Or flip the order if you want.

This is obviously role dependent but OS agnosticism is far more valuable in the sysadmin resumes I get than any of the specialization certs like Win 8 or Lync. Large organizations tend to be more silo'd in their technical skillsets so you'll have a linux team and a Citrix team and a Windows team, etc... but being able to work competently on multiple OS's is going to get you far more interviews and offers. Be flexible.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Oh gently caress you VMware. I'm sitting VCP550 by the end of the month.

quote:

They're here! vSphere 6 Training Courses Now Available!

VMware vSphere® is the world's leading server virtualization platform, and is the foundation of the Software-Defined Data Center. vSphere 6 builds on the success of prior versions of vSphere and extends your ability to virtualize scale-up and scale-out applications, redefine availability, and simplify your virtual data center. VMware Education Services has introduced vSphere 6 training courses to help you get more value from your vSphere 6 investment:

vSphere: What's New [V5.X to V6]
http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrreg/courses.cfm?ui=www_edu&a=one&id_subject=60896
This hands-on course explores new features and enhancements in VMware vCenter Server™ 6.0 and VMware ESXi™ 6.0. This class is recommended for customers who want to deploy vSphere 6 into their existing vSphere environment.

vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6]
http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrreg/courses.cfm?ui=www_edu&a=one&id_subject=60901
This intensive, hands-on training course focuses on installing, configuring, and managing VMware vSphere 6, and includes VMware ESXi 6.0 along with VMware vCenter Server 6.0. This course will give you a solid understanding of how to administer a vSphere infrastructure for organizations of any size.

vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V6]
http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrreg/courses.cfm?ui=www_edu&a=one&id_subject=60907
This course is designed for experienced VMware vSphere users and teaches advanced skills for configuring and maintaining a highly available and scalable virtual infrastructure. If you're ready to take your understanding of vSphere to a deeper level – this course is for you.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Finally scheduled VCP 5.5 for next Tuesday. It'll be like a year to a day after I finished the Stanly course but I procrastinate and only started seriously studying after the new year.

Failing would suck because really I just want to move onto casually studying for CISSP again instead of obsessing over poo poo like DPM thresholds.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

362/500 on the VCP-550.

Tons and tons on the features of Standard Switch v Distributed Switches and also way more minutiae about various health badges than I cared for. This at least makes up me bombing the VCP-410 badly enough that I never even re-took it. :toot:

e: terrible grammar

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 31, 2015

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Congrats! Keep grinding.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Is this online?
Yes. You can also knock out a bunch of upper level courses through industry certs. You can check out some of the transfer guidelines for various IT degrees here...

https://share.wgu.edu/sites/academi...FDocuments%2FIT

Not sure how the exact transfer forks but a CCNA + CCNA:Sec could be worth 25 credits if I'm reading it correctly? I think.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

This is asking me for a login, is there another way I can check out the available classes?
Try this for the cert transfer guidelines...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7g8vi0i9c...0-2015.pdf?dl=0

There are also straight Information Technology and Software Development tracks that differ slightly.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

alejandro posted:

So... going for my first cert. I see many going for the various MS Server 2012 ones as a starter, but I'm the only guy on my team who hasn't had the training courses and there's a lot of material to cover... even with CBT videos it feels like a bit too much right now.

As I'm doing Citrix administration day to day, I'm pretty confident that I can aim for completing the 1Y0-200 exam in a couple months time. I've not seen a lot of mention in this thread but just wondering if anyone's got some experience - difficulty, gotchas, good revision/practice material? Am I being unrealistic?
They've since revamped the exams but I did the Citrix CCA for XenApp 6.5 a few years back and it wasn't too terrible. There was a ton on load balancing and load evaluator policies. Study that. Watch PluralSight or CBT Nuggets. Most of the rest of the topics were in the exam prep and known from day-to-day administration of a fairly large multi-farm environment.

e: I haven't really touched Citrix since my last job so fairly worthless cert for me at least. Plenty of LinkedIn recruiters seem to ask about it though.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 28, 2015

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Powershell owns and I highly recommend people going through "Learn Windows PowerShell 3 in a Month of Lunches" before even screwing around with the MCSA tracks. It's a base level of knowledge that is only going to get more important in later Windows server revisions.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The MCSA SQL tracks are pretty well thought of if you're interested in pursuing junior level SQL dba positions. I can't imagine you just wing your way into a dba career though. You kinda have to want to pursue it.

People who can legitimately do MSCE Data Platform/Business Intelligence enterprise level SQL work can make some very good money.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

They really want to hire an H1B so they throw out a job description with unrealistic requirements which allows them to then say that they've exhausted all local efforts to find someone with the skillset they desire. They'll also pay 60% of market value.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

I thought you couldn't underpay H1Bs?
This is true. Law says they have to be within 5% of the local market for a position. Of course IT positions and titles are sort of nebulous anyways so there's not much to stop them from renaming the job "Network Admin, Voice" and paying a lower rate.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I'll be studying for CCNA: Sec later on this year as it's a requirement for my WGU track and the CCNA is up for renewal in early 2016. From what I understand Cisco just revamped the exam this month so hopefully it tackles more than just ASA config.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Anyone familiar with the Asghar Ghori RHCSA/RHCE books? Worthwhile? From what I understand Michael Jang is the standard but his RHEL 7 book isn't coming out until December.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Doug posted:

I've got an opportunity to teach Security+ at a local community college in the fall but I don't have the cert. I've got 5 years of industry experience, CEH and GIAC certs but I just skipped over Sec+. I imagine I could pass it without study but I just can't mentally do it. What's the go to Sec+ book?
The Darril Gibson is the go-to. You probably wont even need it to be honest.

Know all the *ishing attacks. Differentiating between them seems to be important to CompTIA.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm looking through jobs and I'm finding my certifications are being overlooked for lack of job experience. I'm 3 months shy of 2 years at a small msp, wearer of all hats IT work, and I can't get a response out of job openings above 'help desk'.

I've got comptia N+ and CCNA R&S. I'm looking at the CCNA security, but is another cert going to help if I'm still only at 2 years non-specific experience?

My other option is to start down the CISSP route and settle in at my current job for the months it will take me to complete it. Anybody do CISSP through self-study and pass?
Unfortunately you still need 4-5 years of verifiable security work even if you pass the CISSP to earn the certification, otherwise you'll be made an "Associate of (ISC)²".

Experience will almost always trump certifications and even college degrees but just keep hammering away, especially at small firms. Depending on the local market you should be able to get interviews for junior networking or maybe junior sysadmin work if it interests you. Always use recruiters. They help a ton.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Has anyone ever used TrainingCamp.com?

I've read through the Shonn Harris and Eric Conrad books and I'm pretty familiar with all the CISSP material from self-study but in an effort to force me to take the exam my employer wants to send me to the 6-day bootcamp that ends with sitting the exam. How do they compare with SANS or InfoSec Institute? SANS obviously has an enormous reputation but they're also much more expensive and don't provide the exam at the end.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Anyone thinking of studying for 410-411 should go through PowerShell in a Month of Lunches first. Really you should do that even if you're not studying for the MS tests.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Any ever used Linux Academy? Thinking about it as a supplement to the standard RHCSA/RHCE materials, $20/month.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Race Realists posted:

this is how crazy people think
This article is from 2008.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Langolas posted:

Working on my VCP right now... I am seriously lacking motivation. I got my lab built up but I just can't get myself to dig into things.

Anyone got any tips for getting motivated or words of encouragement to kick my rear end into gear? I've got a few months to get the cert done for a personal work goal. Got the other certs done on my list and this is the last one for the list and then next year Ill jump back into my networking certs.
Have your work offer you a bonus for passing. I sat on my Stanly class for a year before getting off my rear end to study.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

CrushedWill posted:

Not really an IT cert in and of itself, but I was able to pass the PMP exam on Friday. I poo poo you not, I needed the entire next day before my synapses returned to working order.

Congrats! How much time would you guesstimate you spent studying? I was sent to a PMP boot camp through work a couple months back and as seems to be a recurring theme I've been unable to motivate myself to finish it off.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Anyone take the 200-260 yet? I need to renew my CCNA in the next few months and just saw that they retired 640-554.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The vast majority of my studying for WGU and certs has been at work and I can manage 1-3 hours a day if I stay until 7pm or so. At home I rarely get anything done.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Gothmog1065 posted:

So, with the way the CE credits work, I know if you get a "higher level" cert for CompTIA, it will re up the ones below it (A+, Net+ Sec+, something at the end). A question came up with a coworker, if you take, say, your Sec+ and your Net/A+ has lapsed, does it renew those, or do you have to retake those cert exams?
If your cert has expired you have to re-take the current exam in order to regain certification. The "higher level" certs for renewal don't have to come from CompTIA though. My Sec+ expires in March and I'll be renewing it with CCNA: Security.

https://certification.comptia.org/continuing-education/renewothers/renewing-security

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

From what I can tell the price to re-take SY0-401 at Pearson Vue is $311. I believe it was $285 at the time I took it.

Unless you mean renewing it with like Cloud+ which seems sort of worthless.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Looking at their documentation the only higher level CompTIA cert that will renew Security+ by itself is the CASP. Other "higher level" ones like Cloud+ and Mobility+ only give you 10 and 13 of the 50 CEUs required. You're better off either re-taking or going 3rd party.

Really though, renewing CompTIA certs shouldn't even matter and I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. The only 8570 cat that Sec+ touches that others like CCNA Sec don't is IAM 1.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

A couple hundred dollars for a Microsoft or Cisco cert is relatively meaningless in comparison to the return you can get with a higher level position. Stuff like the SANS training and certs that are $5-6k for the course you're almost certainly getting your job to pay for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

My last job forced everyone in IT infrastructure to take a 4 day course in ITIL and then pass the v3 Foundations exam. I think like 2 people out of 150 failed the first time.

It's really just rote memorization and procedure. And echoing everyone else, it's boring as gently caress.