Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Looks like a refresh and after going through the exam material I understand why. I hope they drop CCP from the exam entirely and test more on actual security concerns in the cli.

Last date available for the 640-554 seems to be December 1st if anybody is thinking of scheduling after that date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Just remember something is happening with CCNA security and the current test as it is will not be offered past December 1st.

I now have stacks of 2800s and 2950s to sim on, I'll report back if it was any more effective than packet tracer.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I now have a stack of 2 2950 switches, a 2811 router, and a 2821 router for studying CCNA Security.

The only useful thing I've used it for over the packet tracer is running through rommon for password recovery, and playing with CCP. When I want to test or practice a configuration I spin it up in packet tracer because it's seriously faster, easier, more versatile, and more visual when something doesn't work correctly.

I wouldn't worry about physical equipment until ccnp.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

icehewk posted:

I bought Chris Bryant's video series but found out that video learning doesn't work for me. His study guides are $10 for the pair and are basically what he goes through in his videos. I bought the one for ICND2 and it broke all the topics down really well.

Ugh I was so disappointed with his CCNA security video course. It didn't cover any real terms, vocab, or concepts. It was 100% configuration overview.
It's nice, but supplementary at best.

I did the Laz Diaz CCNA r&s video course and it was extremely encompassing for topics, concepts, terms, and labs. If only he wasn't so loving annoying.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Look for an msp, they love hiring inexperienced guys with a few certs. Ccent and a+ will definitely get you on the front lines of hell desk and the rest is up to you.

During your first two years of experience make sure to finish that CCNA and dive in to any other certs you want for specialization, and then you'll be ready to jump in to a Jr admin role

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Is it the same as this course? https://www.udemy.com/the-complete-ccna-200-120-course/

Laz Diaz is annoying as gently caress and he bumbles through a lot of his videos, but drat if I didn't pass the ccna on that course and odoms ccent book. If you recreate every one of his topologies in packet tracer you will be able to easily complete the simulations on the test.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Videos work for me when it comes to certifications. It feels much more like a classroom environment and I can take notes during example instead of reading, stopping to write, then reading again.

As far as troubleshooting or day to day operations I exclusively read. YouTube doesn't do anything for me and is too slow when it comes to what commands I need to export a firewall config.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
You should be able to use a single device for practicing icnd1. There are sims on the test so I wouldn't go in blind to the cli.

Boot it, give it a name, add a user, set an enable password, give an interface an IP address, turn it on, and then use show commands to check your work. You shouldn't run in to anything more complex than this on the test.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Anybody do the aws associate cert? Found a comprehensive udemy course and decided what the hell. I can't take the CCNA security until November because my new employer won't cover it until after 90 days of employment, and I have until next summer to walk through security+ which just sounds extremely dull.

Aws should be a good change of pace but I have no idea if it's worth anything beyond giving me something to do.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Console cable is rj45 to serial. It's worth getting a serial to USB cable as well because it's a few bucks and let's you use any modern laptops.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
If you can do subnetting the cli is the least of your worries. Just ? after everything to know your options and it becomes really easy really fast.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Without going into too much detail, I failed one of the ccnax sims because of a gotcha involving an acl. They said I needed 3 lines in the acl, I met all criteria in 2. I tested every connection method they specified and was permitted/denied in all the right places.

I either missed allowing the routing protocol (which didn't affect the current environment) or I was expected to put in an explicit deny any any at the end instead of relying on implicit.

I still passed the test but I was loving pissed when the "network security" score came back at 40%.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
CompTIA uses Pearson vue, and has you go through the PV site to book a test. Pearson should hold high standards for their centers, and being a big business you should never run in to scam centers. If you have a bad experience I'm sure they have remediation procedures.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Anecdote but I made a 1 year agreement for the ccnax, and it exclusively benefited my employer. He though holding me for $300 was good enough to avoid giving me a raise for earning my CCNA.

I broke the agreement two months later and paid the $300 fee. My new salary increase covered that in a week and a half.

Might as well pay for it yourself to avoid your employer holding it over your head.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
A+ is really only good if you want to do desktop hardware support, which has low ceilings in the tech world. With a 4 year degree you're better starting with the n+ or s+, which should be easy to knock out with a 4 year IS degree. That should get you in the door, and make sure to press in an interview that you're planning on studying for the CCNA or a Microsoft cert or whatever field you want to get in to. You can even give them an estimated date of completion for it, usually 4 months out is a good bet.

Just stress that you're not done learning after your degree and you should be fine. And keep looking for jobs, you'll get a call soon enough.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Pitched up budget requests for 1 year of cbt nuggets and $1500 for exam certs, or vcp-dcv course and exam. If either one is approved I'll be very busy and very happy. If both get approved I'll have a new job by this time next year.

If neither are approved I'll sulk a little bit and keep chugging along on my own dime using the inferior udemy courses.

If you had to push for one over the other, would you prefer vcp-dcv alone or checkpoint ccsa, CCNA collaboration, vca-dcv (the associate level), sec+, aws CSA, aws sysops admin combined?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Before I started studying for the CCNA it intimidated me, because all I knew was that it was a really tough tech cert. Now that I have it, I look at the CCNP the exact same way. I know all I have to do is start studying but hell if it doesn't look like a mountain from this side.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

psydude posted:

I might end up just doing CCIE R&S since half the poo poo in the Security exam is deprecated or EoL and it doesn't look like they're going to refresh it soon. No point in spending all of that time learning about old stuff.

They're refreshing in December. Dec 1 is the last date to schedule the current exam. I tried rushing through to take the exam before then but decided that I'd rather get certified on the new stuff since CCP sucks balls.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Yeah, feels a little soon to me, too? The last change was pretty huge, too.

We were referring to the security exams. I thought he was taking about CCNA security, which is being updated in December, but I have no idea if they're changing the ccie with it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Raspberry Pis are like $25 a piece, probably less if you get the older models. If you're savvy with python you could probably script network traffic of various types to spew constantly from them, better mimicking a live network.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Gothmog1065 posted:

Is there any good resource to test knowledge on the OSI model? I kind of still get crosseyed and look at it wrong, or will I get better at it as I go through Lamelle's book for CCNA?

I had trouble remembering what happened at each step until I drew a picture visualizing the data flow. I likened it to how an Ikea desk would be shipped to a customer.

Application: An IKEA desk, fully assembled and usable.
Presentation: A break down of the desk into each component piece (what the pieces are, how big they are, what they look like, what their purpose is). Basically, the instruction manual on how to build the desk.
Session: A sales order from a customer requesting a desk be shipped to their house. A dialog is opened between the customer and a sales person to verify information, gather payment, and track the order until it's complete.
Transport: The decision of which shipping company to use, which service will be purchased (2nd day, signature required, etc), how big each box will be.
Network: Boxing up the components and slapping a shipping label on each one with origination and destination (plus some other details like which door it should be delivered to at the destination)
Data: Internal shipper notes detailing which truck the boxes need to go on to make it to the next warehouse. Each warehouse it hits will be one step closer to the destination, and each warehouse will make it's own independent decision on what direction to send the boxes.
Physical: The workers and the trucks that move the boxes around.

Again, draw the data flow as a picture and use your own analogy and you'll have a much easier time remembering it. Note where packets, frames, and bits come in to play because those questions will come up on the CCNA.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Elucidarius posted:

How difficult are the CCNP exams?

I'm currently a grad student taking a routing and switching course where we use study the guides as text books. The courses I've taken are my only real exposure to Cisco but I think I'm getting a decent handle on the material. I feel like I should take the exams just because I have a lab to text things in at school and an instructor to ask questions I may have.

Do you have the CCNA yet? From what I've heard it's the CCNA + real world scenarios, so it's more practical knowledge that you will need experience with to master.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Gothmog1065 posted:

I am studying for my CCENT right now, and have a question about subneetting form.

Is it considered 'bad form' to write down basic subnetting info each time, or should I have it memorized (Which will come as I continue to use it?)

Example:

code:
  A   B   C  
 /9  /17 /25  1         128  2/126
 /8  /18 /26  11        192  4/62
 /15 /23      1111111   254  128/0
 /16 /24      11111111  255  254

Both.

For the exam there's no reason to not write it down. You'll need to be perfect on this info to answer exam questions and having a reference in front of you will be helpful in gaining confidence.

The more you study it, the more you'll have it memorized. This will come more in handy when at work since you'll have more time to think through the math involved but basic stuff like /24, /30, /29 or whatever will come naturally.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Wicaeed posted:

What's the general consensus on Udemy? Specifically am thinking of signing up for the course here on Containers. It's reviewed pretty well but I've never signed up for anything from them before.

If you pay more than $20 you're not trying hard enough for coupons. I paid $15 for over 30 hours of CCNA videos and it was a really great resource.

It's like a community college though. The entire experience depends on the instructors which range from "really great" to "cashing a check".

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
For the CCNA you can use any of them. Every version has the same basic commands that CCNA covers. I can't imagine you'll run in to version issues with the CCNP either. Unless you switch tracks to security or collaboration version shouldn't matter.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
For N+, flash cards. There's barely any problem solving or deep analysis, most of it is "What does this? What does this stand for? If I wanted this speed fiber at this distance, what connector and protocol would I use?"

Acronym on one side, function on the other, and make sure you memorize the full name.

For harder tests it's all about taking notes, going over those notes, clarifying stuff you need to fill in for those notes, then studying them like crazy before the test.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Broletariat posted:

Passed my Network+! Should A+ and Net+ be enough for a starting help desk job?

Congrats and yes! Companies typically look for a specific kind of candidate so just keep blasting your updated resume everywhere and you'll find something solid.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

LochNessMonster posted:

What's the recommended course of action for CCNA R&S certification, going for 200-120 or doing both 100-101 and 200-101?

I took the 200-120, don't regret it. They have less questions to hit you with so you get to skip on some of the crazy broadness of the 100-101 and less of the minutia of configurations on the 200-101.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Who knows what "soon" could be; but you'll mostly be fine. The only concept I could see going away in the near-ish future is Frame Relay. I'm not sure how often it's used in the States, but in Canada (Alberta specifically) it's rarely seen.

But the concept behind it is really important. MPLS is growing fast and regardless of what protocol it uses, it's critical to understand private ethernet on public networks. Frame Relay is an OK protocol to use to learn the concept.

I just looked up the new exam topics for CCNA Security v3 (introduced december 2015) and am satisfied in my decision to skip learning CCP. It's nowhere on the bullet list. Because CCP sucked balls.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Ozu posted:

If your cert has expired you have to re-take the current exam in order to regain certification. The "higher level" certs for renewal don't have to come from CompTIA though. My Sec+ expires in March and I'll be renewing it with CCNA: Security.

https://certification.comptia.org/continuing-education/renewothers/renewing-security

If you use non-comptia continuing education credits, you also need to pay $50 a year to keep your cert ($150 at time of renewal).

It's more cost effective to study up for a month and take another comptia test for $150. It renews the old cert and gets you a new one.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I've got my job paying for certs this year. My N+ is up in June and even though I have a ccna I'll rush the Sec+ first thing this year to renew it. It will be a good compliment to the ccna security I plan on getting right after the S+, even though the two ccnas are worth way more than anything comptia can offer. 4 certs are better than 2 on the resume regardless of prestige.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Watch out about this because it can bite you in the rear end. If your CompTIA cert has a CE on the end of it, and you're planning on renewing it by getting a higher level cert you will still need to pay your CE fees to CompTIA before they will renew them. My co-worker, who is our EMC vendor rep, took Storage+ last week for shits and giggles and CompTIA accepted the scores and gave him the new cert, but he was told by them that his Sec+ and other certs wouldn't renew until he was current with his CE dues. Couple minutes after he shelled out his $150 his certs were renewed and all was well with the world.

Storage+ is a bottom rank cert so I'm not surprised. Their official ranking goes A+, N+, S+. They say if you have more than one cert you only need to renew the highest level to keep them all. I take this to mean if I have N+ and pass the higher exam, S+, the N+ gets renewed.

I guess we'll see this year after I get the S+. If they want $150 for renewal I'll let it lapse.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

crunk dork posted:

Is 210-260 as theory based as the boson practice test lets on? A lot of the questions were over where things are in the ASDM/CCP GUI. I can get access to ASDM but CCP isn't available to me unless it's free or included with IOS and I'm unaware.

Ccp is free, but cisco dropped it from the 2016 exam curriculum.

You do need to simulate and practice asdm though.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

psydude posted:

It's still in the official study guide. Did they get rid of it entirely from the exam?

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/security_ccna/iins-v3/exam-topics

Exam topics used to include CCP, it has been wiped from every section for the 260. ASA 9.x is still explicitly stated so ASDM will be on the new exam.

If any section required using CCP for configuration it would be stated as an exam topic.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 22, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
What the gently caress is with CompTIA and their insistence on War Chalking being a real thing? From what I can gather, some dipshit web developer came up with warchalking around 2001 / 2002, it never caught on despite (extremely light) media attention insisting it was the next big thing, and it was never utilized past 2003. Now we're in an age with so much loving free wifi everywhere you go nobody could possibly bother to give a poo poo about marking territory of open wifi networks.

Let alone looking like a giant stupid tool for chalking a building to help fellow "hackers" that also don't give one solitary poo poo about wifi networks they're not explicitly attacking.

And yet, CompTIA's N+ and S+ have entire sections on how war driving and war chalking works, why it's a threat, and how to look out for the symbols to see if you're a target of "hackers". Grow the gently caress up CompTIA.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

HPL posted:

Pretty much this. Roll your eyes, answer the question, move on.

Back when I had 0 experience and getting my N+, I thought "holy poo poo this is a thing?? I'll start looking out for these symbols!"

Now the S+ feels... cheapened for including it. Unprofessional, I guess.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
S+ is still valuable within the first 5 years of experience. My workplace is paying for it anyway so it certainly can't hurt.

I'm mostly trying to sell that I'm anyways learning, even if it's quick pickups like S+ between ccna r&S and ccna security.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
My company has three serial WAN connections! If you're working with point to point t1 you still see these, and not everybody has converted to mpls yet.

I find the S+ extremely easy but I've already studied a lot for the ccna security. I think it's prior knowledge rather than common knowledge, and I imagine most people get their s+ after a few years of experience.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Ozu posted:

I feel like if you have a wife or live-in girlfriend the sounds of a harrier jet emanating from your home office wont last very long and you'll be back to using Packet Tracer or GNS3.

I never realized how loud these things were until I had to work on a 2811 router at my office desk. Replaced a fan, powered it on in a quiet environment, and holy gently caress. Server racks do a great job at being so noisy you hardly consider the sound of a single unit.

I also considered building a rack in my garage but temperatures ranging from 0 to 90 are not conducive to electronic longevity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Vadun posted:

half the questions weren't in the official study guide

Were you looking at the old study guide for 2015? Or the new one for 2016? I plan on taking this exam soon so I'd really like to know which resources are out of date and which have the good info on it.