Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
So I've got CompTIA Security+ and Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7 (70-680 and 70-686). I want to go for more server-y stuff next, so I think I'm gonna go for the Enterprise Administrator certs. 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, and 70-647. Are there any reasons (other than time/money) I may want to just go with the Server Administrator track instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.

Strike Anywhere posted:

See the link below for a list of MCTS certs. If you scroll down and expand the Windows Server section, you'll see asterisks next to exam numbers. Scroll down farther to see what expiration date those exams have (where they'll no longer be available).

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcts-certification.aspx

I'm currently pursuing my MCITP: EA cert. The expiration deadline helps keep me motivated. I have my 70-680 so I still need the 640, 642, 643, and 647 within a 6-7 month time frame, leaving a little time buffer in case I fail one. Madmaan told me the 680 and 642 were the worst tests so I went for those first for some reason.

That's what I'm thinking for myself. If I know I have to have all four tests done in the next 7 months, I will be motivated to study. From now, that's a little less than 8 weeks study time for each exam.

Sulphuric Sundae fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 22, 2012

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Alright, I'm switching to a new IT job that will not reimburse me for certs like my current one will. Trade-off is I should be getting hands-on experience with some Cisco equipment and Windows servers on-the-job. So I'll hold off on my plan to get an Enterprise Administrator cert at least until I get used to this new position.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
A company was talking about hiring me on, contingent on me getting a Solaris 11 System Admin cert within the first few weeks. 1Z0-821, I'd imagine. Anybody take a Solaris cert before? The only study materials I can find is the official Oracle book.