Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Another random tip is to check online in your city for something called Workforce Development Centers, they sometimes offer IT prep classes for all the main certs and cam even have full-scale labs with things such as Cisco network sims/actual hardware installed.

Also the price tends to be more competitive for the in-state student costs compared to private company cert prep classes. The Centers also offer basic introduction classes as a good way to interest check the IT field.

etalian fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MrBigglesworth posted:

I still contend that the one question about Fiber Optics having a valid option of "not as susceptible to RFI and EMI" is loving wrong. Fiber is immune to that poo poo, or was as explained in the material and was my understanding as compared to copper networks.

We start Routing and Switching Essentials on Wednesday.

It's basically simple EM spectrum, light is on a completely different spectrum than potential sources of interference such as cell phones(800 to 2200 MHz)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

IT Guy posted:

What is the easiest way to get Microsoft ceritifications without taking a course? I want to get a few to increase my chances of finding a better job but my currently employer won't send me on a course unless it is benefitting them (understandable) and I'd feel pretty scummy anyway by getting them to pay for a bunch of courses and then loving off. However, I really don't want to drop thousands of my own money taking courses. Is there a cheap way to learn online and take the exams?

It's much better to get your employer to pay if possible especially since IT training is seeing some bubble-like costs for things such as real hands-on CCNA lab training.

Just think of employer education help as a handy way to improve your skillset but also not have to worry about the money side of things.

It also helps to study the terms and conditions in taking employer education health, there's also strings attached such as having to stay with the company 1 year after taking the classes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BigT posted:

Pointless? No. Cisco will be here for a long time ago. Its in virtually every major infrastructure there is for networking.

Yeah it's the Microsoft equivalent for telecom hardware.