Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Does anyone have any experience with itpro.tv?

I've watched some of their CISSP course and the material they cover seems pretty basic. Is that the nature of the test or just a lack of depth from the course?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

New job offer wants me to get my CISSP within 90 days of higher. I've been studying casually with the sybex book and itpro.tv . their material makes the test seem fairly basic though. Anyone here have any insight as to the scope/depth of the material?

Is it mile wide / inch deep like compTIA exams or is it pretty in depth?

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm sure you checked this, but are you able to obtain the other prerequisites to get the CISSP?

Yeah, I meet the requirements.
The job, however, is looking less appealing considering everything. Amazing location and work but upfront costs associated with the relocation make it more of a gamble with this contingency than I think I'm willing to risk.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Passed the CISSP today. Woo. Took a little over 4 hours.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

psydude posted:

Congrats! How was it? And how did you prepare?

I bought the Eric Conrad book and his 11th hour review and used those primarily. I bought the Shon Harris tome and ended up not even opening it.

Read the Conrad book two weeks prior to the test and watched some of the cbd nugget videos (you can sign up for a free seven day trial) and read the sunflower guide the day before the exam.

My exam experience is pretty much the same as others here. Read the questions carefully and you will be alright. I marked 70 or so for review and went back and changed my answers on a lot of them.

Overall opinion: it's a long expansion of the security+.

Dr. Kayak Paddle fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 13, 2015

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Without going into detail (NDAs and whatnot) I'd say mine way 80/20 non-technical/technical...But that supposedly can vary wildly from test to test.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Immanentized posted:

Is this the place to post questions about the CISSP, or is there a dedicated thread for those?

I'm curious as to whether or not there's a difficulty gap between the Shon Harris brick and the actual exam. I'd also like to know if there's any sort of testing software floating around for purchase. I have a Total testers packet, but it's so riddled with errors and glitches it's nearly unusable.
Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

I bought the Shon Harris tome and then proceeded to not use it at all for studying. Welp.

The Shon Harris book is insanely detailed and the Eric Conrad study guide manages a nice balance between detail and readability and also manages to condense the 1400+pages to about 500-600. The two books I used were both by Eric Conrad. ( The study guide and the eleventh hour cram guide.)

freepracticetests.org is great (although the free version is limited.) $50 for 6 months subscription gets you a lot larger question pool and access to quizzes for several other tests as well. I started with 50 question closely related tests in each domain and built up some endurance to 250 question in all domains to simulate the real thing.

Also you sorta have a deadline of April 15th when the new test comes out. Not sure if any new study material is out yet since it was only announced a couple weeks ago.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Swink posted:

On that note, are there VMware Certs (entry level) that don't require class time?

It looks like associate level certs (VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV etc) only have a recommended course but not hard requirement.

Dr. Kayak Paddle fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 11, 2015

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Gooble Gobble posted:

Finally scheduled and passed the OSCP exam after managing to put it off for ~1 year. Next up is probably CISSP, but I can't take it before April. Should I buy materials now or wait for the new ones to come out?

New exam on April 15th. I'd probably wait.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Does anyone have any experience with any of the securitytube.net courses? Specifically interested in the python course http://www.securitytube-training.com/online-courses/securitytube-python-scripting-expert/index.html

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Immanentized posted:

So I'm doing pretty good on the CCCure quizzes for my CISSP but I'm getting kind of worried that the material is out of date in the question bank- this stuff hasn't really changed since the early 90s so I'm guessing physical and networks comms questions from 2001 and 2004 are still valid, right?

That said, I'm hitting 90% so I think I'm good to go for next Thursday- any last minute tips?

https://cccure.training/m/articles/view/Cram-Study-Guide-for-the-CISSP-Exam

Check out the "sunflower" guide and the Michael Overly guide. The last and first respective download links at the bottom... Good last minute study notes. Otherwise I wouldn't bother doing anything the day before. If you don't know it by then you aren't gonna learn it.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Immanentized posted:

Passed the CISSP. What a weird test, I'm assuming this year's layout was pretty heavily influenced by the upcoming change to the CBK.

For the record, I'd say the Conrad, and Dupois materials I used in my prep were lifesavers.

Congrats!

Now the fun part; Getting the endorsement. It looks like its taking 4-5 weeks. They sent me an email saying they recieved my paperwork on the 11th of Feb and I'm still waiting.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

5 weeks to the day that ISC2 received my resume for verification I received the email saying my CISSP was approved and that it would be an additional 8-12 weeks before I received my cert. I took the test on January 15th. Good grief.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Anyone here have OSCP course/certification experience?

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Doug posted:

I'm actually taking the OSCP course right now. I haven't done the cert attempt but I can answer any questions you might have about the lab/class.

I actually opted to do the eLearnSecurity PTP course as it has a more realistic timeline for me.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

psydude posted:

If you work in security, the various CISSP self study books (especially the Conrad book) are more than enough to pass. I thought it was a fairly easy exam so long as you follow the order of operation of the ISC2 when it comes to answering questions.

I still haven't put it in my email signature because I'm not a pretentious dick, but every time I come across an uppity GS-X or contractor who tries to give me poo poo for some minor CIS or STIG technicality on a high level design it makes me reconsider it.

I don't understand putting certs in an email sig in any context, but the ones that put Sec+ in it are my favorite :allears:

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Vintimus Prime posted:

Holy poo poo, nearly a 1000?? Nope

I was just looking at this last night and had the same reaction. I laughed my rear end off. It's actually $1050, because if you don't take their $850 training course you have to pay a $100 application fee to determine eligibility.

What a scam.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Status: currently hating myself for serioisly considering taking the CEH because employer won't pay for SANs class/test. (GCIH specifically.)

I know the class isn't required but anyone have any experience taking SANs tests without it?

Edit: additionally... Reasoning is a new job wanted either of those two certs before making me an offer because DoD.

Edit 2: "Greetings of the day." And some misspelling...even their emails read like spam, ugh.

Dr. Kayak Paddle fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 9, 2017

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Anybody here take CEH recently? How hard / technical is it compared between Security+ and CCNA security?

Study material makes it seem... Not that difficult. But it's gotta be somewhat hard, right?

I'll be scheduling it, as soon as my aplication is processed I guess.

All the test material makes it seem like useless poo poo that doesn't need to be committed to memory. i.e. command arguments for nmap etc... things I can reference on a man page instead of like fundmamental principles etc.

So a more expensive Sec+ and/or a DoD sponsored scam.

Boludo posted:

I passed GCIH without taking the course, but had access to the course books. I wouldn't attempt any GIAC certification without them, but it really depends on your comfort level with the material. You can reference the course syllabus to self study and create your own notes for the test.

Will the new job pay for SANS? If so, I'd go CEH first and then have the new job pay for subsequent SANS training.

I got them to do 5k as a sign on bonus, but I haven't discussed training after the fact. But the class by itself is $6200 and the test w/ class is 800 or $1699 w/o

Dr. Kayak Paddle fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 9, 2017

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Took the CEH. Passed in 54 minutes.
I'll state the obvious, joke test...the Sec+ was probably harder but I took that like 4 years ago so who knows. Obvious money grab with typos and all.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Laranzu posted:

Pretty sure it's only highly regarded by non technical organizations and HR. It has the buzz words they like. Certified. Ethics! Hackers!!!!

If someone came to me with only a CEH and nothing else to back it up I'd be super wary.

Pretty much this. I explained my disdain for having to get the cert, because lol. They understood and are giving me 5k signing bonus, so I'm okay with it. I'm doing labs/self-study for OSCP so I didn't have to study anything specific to the CEH. Turns out the CISSP helped too, because there was random ALE/SLE questions.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Diva Cupcake posted:

This is an interesting thing I saw on Reddit. Google is putting out their own entry level IT support coursework because they feel the current certification environment is not providing them with enough qualified candidates. Might be an option for those debating the merits of A+ and MCSA stuff.

Could also be good for people with gaps in their fundamentals knowledge like IT Automation.

https://blog.google/topics/grow-with-google/it-support-professional-certificate/

https://www.coursera.org/specializations/google-it-support

Wonder if it will have any effect on compTIA. They need some healthy competition in the entry level arena, because their current offerings are garbage tier BS, IMO. But I'm jaded because of the BS I have to put up with in the DoD/cleared sector.

Clearance, pulse, and a sec+. = Job regardless of whether you know anything or have a desire to learn.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

I think if you purchase licenses you get some credits for use with the advance classes, but otherwise it's $$$

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

I just submitted TA request for GCIH course+test. If that gets approved I'll knock that out, otherwise just gonna start the OSCP.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Got the SANS course approved/paid for today. :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

apropos man posted:

So I'm thinking of going to India to do my RHCE. One of my workmates recommended Koenig, as he did his there.

https://www.koenig-solutions.com/redhat-training-certification-courses.aspx

I did my RHCSA in the UK and studied at home. Koenig have quoted me £2150 for the course, which includes hotel and full-board for 6 days full training and exams.

By the time I add flights from UK it's looking at not far from £3,000, so I'm not so sure. I'd really like to visit India in about 6 months time, work through the day and kick around to see the sights at night but I'm wondering if there's a cheaper company that provides the same service.

Anyone have experience with Koenig?

Had a co-worker do it back in 2010. I believe he went to the facility in Goa. He had good things to say, but thats about all I can add.