Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I have a question about Cisco certification so forgive me if this sounds like a idiotic question.

What is the correct order that certification should be acquired? My alma mater was offering summer classes under the Networking Academy and I was trying to figure out which order or programs I should take. I was thinking CCNA and CCNP but they were offering CCENT and CCNA Security as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
This is sort of a followup to my CCNA question but is it would attending a CCNA Networking Academy course cover all the topics for CCENT? I would have a conflict with the CCENT course but CCNA was fine and the cert I was looking for anyway.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I'm preparing to take the CCNA by taking the Cisco Networking Academy courses with CCENT next week and the CCNA proper in late July. I have a Cisco book from 2006 in my possession but is their anything else available I can use to prepare for either exam?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I have a question with registration for the exam:

I set up my test time at a training school since they were the only times that did weekends, Do they have to accept non-students for the test or do I need to change locations?

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 16, 2013

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Alctel posted:

Just redoing my CCENT from 4 years ago since apparently they expire after 3 years. Lots of differences, it's a lot better laid out now (Cisco Press)

Good Points: No more ring network stuff, Almost no OSI stuff, routing/WAN section is a lot better laid out and easier to understand

Bad Stuff: IPv6 fuuuuccccckkkkkk yooooooooooooooooooooooou

That's the reason I'm doing CCENT/CCNA now, I do not want to take a IPv6 exam.

What should be the next cert to go for after CCNA?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Just took a CCENT (640-822) exam and failed with 788:bang:. Looks like I'll have to take it again while going thru my CCNA Academy course and if I can find another weekend date. I want to say my lack of lab know. doomed me but I really don't know.

Are there any good websites besides CCENT Questions for studying up on the exam or it it just reading Odom's and/or Lammle's books that should get me those last few points?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Charles Martel posted:

How long do Cisco certs last before they expire?

3 years

edit: 749, This is me-->:downsbravo:

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 20, 2013

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

DropsySufferer posted:

I'm finally taking the 640-822 exam on Friday myself. I've done nothing but lab and study this week and last week. I'm in the same scoring range myself and feel the same way. I'm trying not to think about it too much.

What I plan to do as soon I sit down at the testing center is to write down last the 16 subnet masks by prefix and decimal notation as well as the increment. It takes me too long sometimes to figure what something like /21 is my head and no time to risk errors. I'm also going to write down the powers of 2 up to 12 or so for those questions that ask how about maximum hosts or subnets.

Good luck to you though! Hopefully by this time Friday we'll both have passed.

That's what I did on my second go around, it helped a bit for me but not enough to pass.

I only found out yesterday though I was taking by mistake the harder 100-101 test which would partially explain why I failed twice since I didn't look at EIGRP or OSPF related material until this week while reviewing the test in my head. At least I wasn't too late to sign up to take the easier ones.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
It took a few tries but I knocked off the CCENT by the thinnest of margins (812). Does anyone have any advise on how I should handle studying for the CCNA?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

dotster posted:

I generally don't kill myself studying for certification tests for my first try. I like to take them, see what is on it and what I have problems with and then study hard and go to pass on the second try. I have killed myself studying for weeks only to take a test and it be nothing like the study guide or vendor example.

That's what I did taking the ICND2 exam Sunday and I think it helped since I thought the new test came out already since I needed a 825 on 45 Q within 75 min. when I thought it was 804 on 50 within 60 min. 7 questions (I counted) also dealt with IPv6 which I had been told wouldn't be on a test pre-9/30

Obviously I failed it (566) but I don't think I wasted $150 on it it gave me a better idea of what the test expected me to know for when I take it again in 3 weeks.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

dotster posted:

Taking the test again soon is key. I know tons of people that fail a test and the wait 6-8 months to take it again only to get a whole different test version and basically start over.

I actually wanted it sooner but the only weekend slot was 3 weeks out. The issue now is having the time to actually study the material (It's almost impossible to do from work).

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

geera posted:

Sitting the ICND1 100-101 exam this afternoon. I've scored over 90% in 3 of the last 4 practice tests I took, still kinda anxious though!

Wasn't the 640-822 still available? I made that mistake twice before.

Hopefully you passed regardless

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

QPZIL posted:

Why is it a mistake? The newer test has updated topics and is a great idea if you start out studying it.

My Cisco Academy courses were set up with the 640-8xx courses in mind and I was advised the x00-101 courses were much more difficult. That's why I thought everybody wanted to pass the two before 10/1 when the 640 tests get removed.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

insidius posted:

I have not completed nor am I near completing my CCNA as my employer wanted by October. After some posts in this thread I decided to slow my pace regardless of what my employer wanted as I actually want to LEARN the content, not just cram a bunch of crap in.

Anyhow I am lucky in that I have the ability to be already operating on the devices in production which along with my labs is assisting me greatly. At the moment most of my work revolves around ACL's and VLAN's but its fun enough for the most part and keeps me hands on. If I am unfamiliar with anything I am able to to cast an eye over the production configuration, test concepts in my lab etc. Having access to that wealth of information has been great.

Another resource which I have been making use of is the Nuggets CCNA courses. Jeremy does some great work in my opinion and the Nuggets team themselves have gone to some pretty impressive lengths to assist with the process. Asking for feedback, providing feedback, providing assistance on study methods etc. Worth a look for anyone going down that path I think.

The point anyway is that studying for this certification has relit my interest in IT. While my career for the most part has gone from strength to strength I had found over the last 18 months that my will to come home and play around with technology had died off severely. I am having such a great time with all my new lab gear and simulators etc that I actually find myself sitting at and thinking *Man I cant wait to go home and test out new concept X in my lab* as opposed to *Man I cant wait to get home and sleep*.

Who knew the benefits to certification would start well before I actually achieved it.

I'm in the same boat. I don't believe I'll be passing my test for the 640-816 on Saturday and that I'll have to take the 200-101 to pass it but it's triggered to need for me to catch up in IT since I left college. I know want to find out how to build off the CCNA in order to get a better career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Which VCA cert. should I go for if you are relatively new to VMWare?