Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

ninja edit: anyone know a place in central mass (or anywhere nearby) that can rebuild injectors for a ~60 year old multifuel?

I can't help you with close by, but I can point you to a great guy who does really good work and is priced well: http://www.mrinjector.us/

Give him a call. I've had him rebuild stuff and I've also just had him send me rebuilding parts. He's quick (not that you need it - you've got another year before that thing can be registered, right?) and does a good job. Just not positive if he has the right stuff for your injectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, I'm not sure where to even get parts or I'd give it a shot myself. That site looks like he only does gas engine injectors, maybe he just doesn't list diesel services?

And yes, I have another 13 months before it's registrable as an antique, so it's relegated to long term project status.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
This guy is good for TDI injectors. No idea about larger Diesels.
http://www.dbwllc.net/

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Large diesel injectors are pretty easy to rebuild if you can get parts or a kit. Replace tip, change o rings, set popping pressure, test, put in. I can't imagine small injectors are any harder. Only real important part is to get everything extremely clean and be a little bit of a perfectionist.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 12, 2013

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

lightpole posted:

Large diesel injectors are pretty easy to rebuild if you can get parts or a kit. Replace tip, change o rings, set popping pressure, test, put in. I can't imagine small injectors are any harder. Only real important part is to get everything extremely clean and be a little bit of a perfectionist.

Yeah, I did the injector nozzles on my TDI for the rebuild myself, just make sure to torque the retainers down equally

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Billy Tully and I did just the nozzles on my TDI (he did all the work really). I can tell from VagCom now that one of the injectors is flowing a lot more than the other three. TDI injectors are fancy and have two stage popping at different pressures and things. Definitely check/set the popping pressures.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't really want to mail the only set of injectors I have out to Idaho, looking for something local like I said before.

Alternatively, if I could find rebuild kits for them I'd give it a shot. TNJMurray has parts kits but after my previous experience buying parts from them I'll let it sit in the yard with no injectors in it at all before I go back to them. Looks like eriks military surplus doesn't have any... got a few more places to try before I give up.

e: vvv I don't think they're going to have a starter for a White/Continental LDS-465-1A engine in a 1958 Kaiser Jeep M54A2, but I could be wrong. vvv

kastein fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 12, 2013

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

kastein posted:

My starter is the one thing on my diesel that hasn't exploded yet.

If it ever does, O'reilly has lifetime warranty starters. I've made good on that a couple times with my TDI.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

keykey posted:

If it ever does, O'reilly has lifetime warranty starters. I've made good on that a couple times with my TDI.

The fact that you've had to "make good on it" a couple of times is the whole problem. They are absolute poo poo rebuilds, just like their alternators.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Motronic posted:

The fact that you've had to "make good on it" a couple of times is the whole problem. They are absolute poo poo rebuilds, just like their alternators.

The fact that I've had to make good on it in less intervals than the actual Bosch part speaks volumes of the factory parts quality. Original starter lasted 2 years, got replaced by VW warranty, it lasted another 2 years, I got the vehicle when it was 3 years old. I replaced the starter with an o'reilly starter after it was 4 years old, I just recently replaced it 4-5 months ago because the one I purchased died so the o'reilly part lasted 10 years whereas the Bosch poo poo lasted 2 years a pop. I just assumed they made faulty starters for the 98 AHU engine.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

keykey posted:

I just recently replaced it 4-5 months ago because the one I purchased died so the o'reilly part lasted 10 years whereas the Bosch poo poo lasted 2 years a pop.

Oh, so you just got a poo poo one this time. 10 years ago they weren't getting rebuilt by Pablo in a prison camp-style maquila somewhere outside of Juarez.

I'm not joking.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I purchased one a little over 10 years ago, I've replaced it once which was 4-5 months ago. I've not had any more problems. I didn't intend for my paragraph to be hard to follow. Maybe this timeline will help. 1998: Brand new. 2000: replaced starter under warranty from VW, 2002: replaced starter this time with an o'reilly part since VW has the worlds shittiest manufacturer warranty, 2013: o'reilly starter failed, they gave me another one free under lifetime warranty. 2013-current No problems. Does the timeline help?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

keykey posted:

I purchased one a little over 10 years ago, I've replaced it once which was 4-5 months ago. I've not had any more problems. I didn't intend for my paragraph to be hard to follow. Maybe this timeline will help. 1998: Brand new. 2000: replaced starter under warranty from VW, 2002: replaced starter this time with an o'reilly part since VW has the worlds shittiest manufacturer warranty, 2013: o'reilly starter failed, they gave me another one free under lifetime warranty. 2013-current No problems. Does the timeline help?

Sorry, but you seem to be the one confused here.

It's really simple: they weren't poo poo rebuilds 10 years ago. The one you replaced the 10 year old one with 4 or 5 monts ago is most likely a poo poo rebuild. They seem to last anywhere from "bad out of the box" to a year or so.

This diminished quality has been going on for 4 or 5 years.

Again, the one that lasted 10 years was not the type that is getting put together with lowest bidder parts by unskilled labor in a NAFTA zone.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

As I will be needing one soon do any of the chains carry decent rebuilt ones or will I have to go online/new?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

As I will be needing one soon do any of the chains carry decent rebuilt ones or will I have to go online/new?

Ironically, Autozone. It was cheaper than Oreillys and looked a LOT nicer for a reman.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

I've found that professional smaller chains have decent rebuilds. You know...the ones with trucks that deliver to service stations (even through I understand that Advance/AutoZone/etc do this in areas where there aren't many other choices). NAPA can be hit or miss depending on who owns it. But for the most part they have decent stuff available (note: available....they also carry crap at lower prices).

I've had the best luck with getting mine rebuilt. Check around, you might be surprised to find that there is still a rebuilder in your area.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I can think of 3-4 rebuilders in my area, including one that a friend of mine and his dad have had great luck with. Not sure of their name but I can get it in a matter of minutes if anyone needs a good starter/alternator/general electromagnetics rebuilder in central mass.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

double post: Holy poo poo, I just found brand new injectors for my truck for $55 each from a surplus dealer that's very well respected. Whole, new old stock. And unlike TNJMurray (douchebags...) they list two separate part numbers for the LDS-465 and the LD/LDT-465 injectors, which is as I suspected, so it's a good thing I didn't buy from TNJMurray.

Think I'm gonna jump on that when I get paid. $330 for a full set of brand new diesel injectors is something I can deal with.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

A friend has informed me that one of his friends 98 jetta TDI is totaled out from a hit to the rear and he is selling his TDI in its entirety for $700. It looks like my TDI is about to have a heart and lung transplant. The donor only has 150k on it. You have to let the cat catch the yarn occasionally otherwise it loses interest.. The back country commute mobile will live to see at least 1 more smog check! :)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I ended up getting the starter rebuilt at a local shop. The bearings were worn out and the brushes were down to nubs, but the actual armature and windings were in great shape apparently.

Sure looks a hell of a lot better.

The neighborhood cat helped out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmdB8qfUZVo

Muuuuch better.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Well that sounds a whole lot better.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Shifty Pony posted:

I ended up getting the starter rebuilt at a local shop. The bearings were worn out and the brushes were down to nubs, but the actual armature and windings were in great shape apparently.

Sure looks a hell of a lot better.

The neighborhood cat helped out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmdB8qfUZVo

Muuuuch better.

You already had the new style starter. You should have seen the monster I pulled off the 6.9L.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

InterceptorV8 posted:

You already had the new style starter. You should have seen the monster I pulled off the 6.9L.

Yeah, I didn't realize that the front of the starter held a planetary gearset so I thought it was direct drive. I was only able to get the torque wrench onto two of the three bolts, so gudentight that will have to be good enough on the top one.

$127 for the rebuild, most of it due to the solenoid. He said they get a ton of the 7.3 starters through, most burnt to bits because someone on the work crew just kept cranking when the truck wouldn't turn over.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

kastein posted:

double post: Holy poo poo, I just found brand new injectors for my truck for $55 each from a surplus dealer that's very well respected. Whole, new old stock. And unlike TNJMurray (douchebags...) they list two separate part numbers for the LDS-465 and the LD/LDT-465 injectors, which is as I suspected, so it's a good thing I didn't buy from TNJMurray.

Think I'm gonna jump on that when I get paid. $330 for a full set of brand new diesel injectors is something I can deal with.

That's a fantastic price! That's only just a little more than the price per injector for my tdi Toyota!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Ferremit posted:

That's a fantastic price! That's only just a little more than the price per injector for my tdi Toyota!

The wonders of driving (well, owning...) a 5mpg military surplus shitpile that they made hundreds of thousands of and then surplused out ten years ago and sold the spare parts off at scrapmetal prices :v:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Am I going to kick my own rear end for picking up an 04 Ford F350 with the 6.0L Diesel?

I need a new hauling vehicle and I'd rather go diesel this time for longevity, overall gas savings (compared to my current truck) and overall ease of hauling my trailer, hay, lumber and Warhammer figurines and other country style stuff (plus, I'm sick of throwing dead deer in the back of my Tahoe, I need a truck with an actual bed), plus, I like the thought of being able to plow (it has attachments already) when I'm in the North, Winter is Coming you see.

But seriously, I've been looking for a new truck and was helping a friend out with a new car deal today and this dealership has an 04 F350, nicely appointed and in good shape with 78k miles on it for a pretty good price. Seems to run out pretty well too.

The bad. It's got a (nice, expensive, pro installed) drat lift kit on it, which will have to go and be returned to stock, that poo poo drives me nuts.
I think there are some mods on the motor, I know there's some electrical box and a K&N filter, which will probably have to go. It's got a new exhaust as well.
I'm pretty sure they'll let me run it over to a Ford dealer tomorrow to have them give it a once-over prior to buying it.

I don't necessarily THINK it's been beat to hell, the body's in great shape, the interior has been taken care of, and I'm aware that the 6.0L apparently had some issues in the past, but I'd imagine they're more or less worked out and that by 78k it would have imploded by now, right? Would it be a huge headache to dump the lift? I'd imagine someone might want to trade me stock parts for it from their truck, plus the wheels/tires.

Any hints or advice on what, specifically to eyeball tomorrow? Google has turned up a lot, but a huge amount of it has been people bitching and old information, so any help would be appreciated.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I would recommend you stay the hell away without a fairly bulletproof warranty, and if you do buy, make sure you romp the hell out of it till the warranty is up so it fails in warranty if it is going to.

I would also stay far away from any modified diesel, it probably had a tuner in it and was turned way up by some idiot diesel bro, beaten and put away wet, then had the tuner removed and was traded in at the first sign/worry of trouble. A lift in a diesel fullsize and K&N filter are serious warnings of a stupid previous owner.

The 6.0 is not something you want to sign up for without paperwork and preferably physical evidence of its shortcomings having been addressed, especially with telltale marks of previous owner retardation involved. If you are going to buy one, buy a different one.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was afraid of and more or less the conclusion that I came to after entirely too much reading last night.

I'm going to check on a warranty today, if not, meh it's not a big thing.
Thanks man.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

iostream.h posted:

Am I going to kick my own rear end for picking up an 04 Ford F350 with the 6.0L Diesel?

I need a new hauling vehicle and I'd rather go diesel this time for longevity, overall gas savings (compared to my current truck) and overall ease of hauling my trailer, hay, lumber and Warhammer figurines and other country style stuff (plus, I'm sick of throwing dead deer in the back of my Tahoe, I need a truck with an actual bed), plus, I like the thought of being able to plow (it has attachments already) when I'm in the North, Winter is Coming you see.

But seriously, I've been looking for a new truck and was helping a friend out with a new car deal today and this dealership has an 04 F350, nicely appointed and in good shape with 78k miles on it for a pretty good price. Seems to run out pretty well too.

The bad. It's got a (nice, expensive, pro installed) drat lift kit on it, which will have to go and be returned to stock, that poo poo drives me nuts.
I think there are some mods on the motor, I know there's some electrical box and a K&N filter, which will probably have to go. It's got a new exhaust as well.
I'm pretty sure they'll let me run it over to a Ford dealer tomorrow to have them give it a once-over prior to buying it.

I don't necessarily THINK it's been beat to hell, the body's in great shape, the interior has been taken care of, and I'm aware that the 6.0L apparently had some issues in the past, but I'd imagine they're more or less worked out and that by 78k it would have imploded by now, right? Would it be a huge headache to dump the lift? I'd imagine someone might want to trade me stock parts for it from their truck, plus the wheels/tires.

Any hints or advice on what, specifically to eyeball tomorrow? Google has turned up a lot, but a huge amount of it has been people bitching and old information, so any help would be appreciated.

I'm with Kastein on this, this looks like somebodies bro truck that has probably been abused more than Michael Vick's dogs.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

More validation. (that read poorly, I meant that the above responses have validated my initial feeling of 'uhhh, maybe not so much awesome here')

I'm going by again today since I said I would and they really kicked rear end on my friend's car deal last night (brand new Volkswagen Sportwagon TDI I'm so jealous), I figure hey, they're not one of the lovely lovely dealerships so I owe it to them to at least stop by and discuss it instead of just ditching out on them, besides I have nothing else to do today.

I spoke with the sales rep and he's open to the concept of a warranty and he said absolutely I could take it out today and to feel free to run it by a dealership and to take as long as I wanted, so there's that I guess.

Could someone distill the 5 billion Google results of 'the 6.0L killed my kittens and raped my wife on the Thanksgiving turkey' into a simple(isn) bullet list of things I need to look for and ask? At this point, like I said, I'm not interested in it anymore unless there's a great warranty and the Ford dealer signs off on the motor, but why not enjoy the shopping.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Everything about the 6.0 is terrible. Here's a great resource to start with: http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine/129-1208-every-six-liter-power-stroke-diesel-issue-solved/

Quick list:
Head bolts suck (blown head gaskets)
EGR system sucks (clogs easily, multiple locations and EGR valve itself)
Fuel system sucks (leaks commonly, multiple locations)
Fuel injectors suck (get stuck open/closed)
HPFP leaks, fails and sucks
Turbo sucks (variable vanes stick)
Turbo oiling system sucks (oil backs up in turbo, gets cooked and cokes up)
Oil cooler sucks (clogs up easily)
Fuel Injection computer failures (early models mostly)
Engine wiring harness failures (WTF Ford, this is the kind of non-moving part that shouldn't be subject to regular failure)
Access to engine sucks (lifting the cab off frame is necessary to do many of the jobs above)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

trouser chili posted:

Head bolts suck (blown head gaskets) - Olds Diesel (maybe a little bit out of Rovers book)
HPFP leaks, fails and sucks - BMW This is a problem with them, still trying to fix it.
Engine wiring harness failures - Mercedes Remember the late 90s?

Who the gently caress did they let design this motor? Its like they took every lovely automotive failure and crammed it into this truck.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Who the gently caress did they let design this motor? Its like they took every lovely automotive failure and crammed it into this truck.

Funny you should say that, it was a Euro company that drew up the engine. I guess the 6.0 aren't bad in the heavier trucks because they don't run as high of a EGR temps which leads to most of the problems.

God bless the EPA. :allears:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

trouser chili posted:

Everything about the 6.0 is terrible. Here's a great resource to start with: http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine/129-1208-every-six-liter-power-stroke-diesel-issue-solved/

Quick list:
---wall of wtf---
Holy mother of God.
Yeah, I'm going to run it over to the ford dealer but regardless of their diagnosis if I'm not handed a sterling warranty it's a no-go.

Thanks a ton, it's what I expected and where I was leaning anyway, but nice to be reassured.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Is this all fallout from Ford losing their diesel supplier years ago and they had to design an engine in-house?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dreesemonkey posted:

Is this all fallout from Ford losing their diesel supplier years ago and they had to design an engine in-house?

International built their diesels since the 6.9. The 6.0 sucked, ford sued international, international replaced it with the 6.4, which sucked just as bad, so ford started designing their engine in house.

Ford had an agreement with international that said only international could build diesel engines for ford, so when ford started designing their own, international sued them for it. The contract expired on december 31st, 2009, and january 1st, 2010 the 2011 super duty came out with the Ford build and designed 6.7 which seems to be an extremely reliable engine.

The gen II comes out next year, they haven't said what the power level is going to be, but they said they reinforced the bottom end, went to a 5 layer headgasket, and put a big fuckoff turbo onto it to increase the power levels.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

International built their diesels since the 6.9. The 6.0 sucked, ford sued international, international replaced it with the 6.4, which sucked just as bad, so ford started designing their engine in house.

Ford had an agreement with international that said only international could build diesel engines for ford, so when ford started designing their own, international sued them for it. The contract expired on december 31st, 2009, and january 1st, 2010 the 2011 super duty came out with the Ford build and designed 6.7 which seems to be an extremely reliable engine.

The gen II comes out next year, they haven't said what the power level is going to be, but they said they reinforced the bottom end, went to a 5 layer headgasket, and put a big fuckoff turbo onto it to increase the power levels.

Its kind of sad, because I like International motors just for their design, even if they are poo poo :smith:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Just a follow up, no surprise but I walked away. EGR busted, puking tranny fluid, multiple other fluid leaks, some horrific rust spots (I'm honestly surprised that's still a thing, even up north) but just, blah.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

I thought Navistar farmed out the 6.0/6.4 which lead to more dipshittery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Holy poo poo:

quote:

No other engine in the world pressurizes oil as high as the 6.0L does (4,000 psi, stock)

I thought 100psi oil pressures in gas motors were crazy.

• Locked thread