Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Been dealing with -20 and -30 temps the past couple weeks, but still getting over 30mpg averaged over a tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CommieGIR posted:

T6 is the good poo poo. Rotella is awesome, and is well purposed for a TDI.

You are on the right track, what you have to avoid is bone stock 10w30 and cheap filters (FRAM)

I run T6 5w40 in the winter and 15w40 in the summer.

drat shame that Shell has said they have no plans to get it or any other Rotella product to pass VW's 507.00 common rail TDI spec.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

drat shame that Shell has said they have no plans to get it or any other Rotella product to pass VW's 507.00 common rail TDI spec.

Did Rotella ever meet the VW specs? Either way, Rotella is still probably the best 'Non-VW approved' oil you can feed your TDI

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CommieGIR posted:

Did Rotella ever meet the VW specs? Either way, Rotella is still probably the best 'Non-VW approved' oil you can feed your TDI

No, they never did. Apparently there is something in the VW spec that directly conflicts with another specification, I think in agricultural or industrial applications. Shell looked at the markets and decided that passenger diesel engines were less a priority.

But yeah it is good stuff.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I'm on the bringing Rotella T6 to random oil change shops / mechanics bandwagon.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Helped change the injector pump seals on my buddies Golf TDI today. That triangular security bolt is a pain in the rear end and it took us more time to go to Home Depot to pick up a grinding bit for the Dremel in order to grind down 3 of the points on a 7mm socket than it did to do the rest of the work.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

had my first encounter with filling up where the station's diesel nozzles were too small and the misfuel adapter wouldnt ley me put in the clearly labeled yellow diesel nozzle... anyone with a 2013 tdi encounter this issue at any specific chains?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

neckbeard posted:

had my first encounter with filling up where the station's diesel nozzles were too small and the misfuel adapter wouldnt ley me put in the clearly labeled yellow diesel nozzle... anyone with a 2013 tdi encounter this issue at any specific chains?

I've only seen it at smaller independent stations. They're just putting regular gas nozzles on.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGlOuk4wEn8

Jetta with an exhaust flapper.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
What's the best way to clean an injector bore? My Peugeot's started blowing combustion gas back out from underneath an injector I replaced around a year ago and presumably the bore is now coated in gunk.

Likely as not I'll be back later to ask how to get a stuck injector out. :v

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

jammyozzy posted:

What's the best way to clean an injector bore? My Peugeot's started blowing combustion gas back out from underneath an injector I replaced around a year ago and presumably the bore is now coated in gunk.

Likely as not I'll be back later to ask how to get a stuck injector out. :v

Steel wire bottle brush.

Does your injector have a copper injector seal? You probably need to replace that.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I managed to eek out 42.7 mpg on my last tank with winter fuel. I guess there actually is a difference between running 19s and 15s :)

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

CommieGIR posted:

Steel wire bottle brush.

Does your injector have a copper injector seal? You probably need to replace that.

Yes it does, and it got replaced when the injector was done. It's all academic at this point anyway, the leak is way worse than I thought it originally was and I don't think that injector is ever, ever coming back out of the head. The carbon's made it all the way out and has been spraying up the side of the head, I hate to think what the injector bore looks like.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CommieGIR posted:

Steel wire bottle brush.

If you do this, do something to make sure the metal bristles that inevitably fall off won't end up inside the engine.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Question: What do you do when you've got a bad glow plug seized in your head and you can't throw any codes to pass inspection?

Answer:

Not mine.

Opensourcepirate fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 22, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Sell it and let it become some else's problem. It's a VW and it's just the beginning of odd poo poo that's going to go wrong if it hasn't already started accumulating.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Was out messing around today and test drove a Q5 with the 3.0TDI. God drat I want that engine in an A4.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

fknlo posted:

Was out messing around today and test drove a Q5 with the 3.0TDI. God drat I want that engine in an A4.

The 245hp 3.0 TDI is an engine option on the A4, so buy one? :confused:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

The 245hp 3.0 TDI is an engine option on the A4, so buy one? :confused:

Maybe in commie land. 2.0T or bust here. Also, you want a wagon? :lol: here's an allroad(also only available with a 2.0T!).

fknlo fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 28, 2014

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Why have a wagon when you can have a tiny crossover!!! The Q3 is coming out and I'm sure it'll have a diesel 2.0TDI only most likely

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Picked up a 2011 Golf TDI earlier this week, seriously loving the car so far! What's the consensus on fuel stations in the northeast (specifically NY/Long Island)? I filled up at a BP the other day but I can't find any specifics on cetane ratings out here. The PO of my car always put stanadyne additive in the fuel to boost cetane and increase lubricity in order to help preserve the HPFP. I haven't found any locally so I'll be buying online, I suppose. Still thinking about dropping the $400 on the 2micron fuel filter kit from tdiclub that supposedly isolates the HPFP in case of failure.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I found online that people claim all BP stations on LI are marked (or should be marked) 45 cetane. I can't say one way or another if stanadyne matters or not. I'm lucky enough to be in an area which uses an up-to 5% bio blend in all diesel fuels so I've never been too concerned about lubricity.

On another note: I had pulled out the tuner chip on my 7.3 while trying to diagnose a battery drain, and I'm trying to decide whether to put it back in or not (I found the battery issue somewhere else). It was a towing tune apparently, although I don't know what performance claims the manufacturer made about the tune on it. The transmission likes to use the torque converter more without the chip in place. It honestly seems to better fit driving around the city without the chip in place, so I'm leaning toward just leaving it out.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

I found online that people claim all BP stations on LI are marked (or should be marked) 45 cetane. I can't say one way or another if stanadyne matters or not. I'm lucky enough to be in an area which uses an up-to 5% bio blend in all diesel fuels so I've never been too concerned about lubricity.

Thanks for the response. I've never paid this much for a car so I want to do everything I can to take care of it even if that means weird additives or only specific fuel stations/brands.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I'm coming up on 30k on my 11 and I have not used any additives. But then again I pretty much only fill up at 1 station which claims to have a much better diesel blend than standard and is also a fairly high turnover station.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
The Q5 and A8 with the 3.0 are an absolute blast to drive. Furthermore, if you can find an A6 avant 3.0tdi, buy it.

Edit: US diesel quality sucks though, and have a higher gelling point than what would be convenient in this weather.

Any other Audi/vw techs seeing ice in the inter cooler causing cylinder 3 bent rod?

Edit2: rod not valves

interwhat fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 4, 2014

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I was looking to bump the Porsche thread, but it looks like I'm too late. I've been only driving my 944 since I broke my kneecap as the seating position keeps my legs a lot straighter and the brakes are a lot better.

This thread needs a bumping as well. My Jetta has a dead battery, but I plan on jumping her this weekend.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I bought another car, so I'm ditching my Jetta TDI on Craigslist. gently caress the P01550 trouble code, gently caress it in its sorry undocumented 45 possible causes rear end.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I do wonder if the GM ignition problem being missed for years and years and Toyota's huge settlement admitting fault will cause the TDI HPFP trouble to get more attention.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Honestly, it's VW and they have the shittiest warranty/customer support in the business, my inclination is to say no.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

keykey posted:

Honestly, it's VW and they have the shittiest warranty/customer support in the business, my inclination is to say no.

They just did a recall on new Passats for 'The wiring in the low beams breaking if you close the hood too hard'

And yet I still have Audis and VWs...whats wrong with me?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

That's why I think that the NHTSA represents the only way the issue will ever be resolved, because VW sure as hell isn't going to admit the part is defective.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

keykey posted:

Every car company is out for the bottom line. Honestly I've had 0 issues with warranty support over the last 20 years of driving VW. VW people just tend to be more vocal than people driving toasters and 'Merkin vehicles.

VAG is even covering fuel pump shits when people admit to misfueling and cars well out of warranty. Even then the % of failures is still under 1% of TDIs on the road. It is -way- blown out of proportion. Meanwhile Toyotas drive through walls and Fords catch fire in your garage. I'd say having your fuel system poo poo the bed and having to get towed in for a warranty issue is a far cry from a lot of the poo poo that Toyota and other companies have been trying to brush under the rug in the last few years.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 19, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

Every car company is out for the bottom line. Honestly I've had 0 issues with warranty support over the last 20 years of driving VW. VW people just tend to be more vocal than people driving toasters and 'Merkin vehicles.

VAG is even covering fuel pump shits when people admit to misfueling and cars well out of warranty. Even then the % of failures is still under 1% of TDIs on the road. It is -way- blown out of proportion. Meanwhile Toyotas drive through walls and Fords catch fire in your garage. I'd say having your fuel system poo poo the bed and having to get towed in for a warranty issue is a far cry from a lot of the poo poo that Toyota and other companies have been trying to brush under the rug in the last few years.

True. Volkswagen gets a lot of poo poo, and honestly I've not had a lot of issues with any of mine beyond things that I myself caused.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 19, 2014

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!
The stories online of people having to pay $8k-$10k after VW says "well you MUST have put gas in instead of diesel" are enough to scare me away. If VW would actually extend the warranty to 100k on the HPFP like BMW has then I'd probably get a JSW. Unless Acura will just make the TSX wagon with a stick that I and exactly 3 other people want to buy.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

VacaGrande posted:

The stories online of people having to pay $8k-$10k after VW says "well you MUST have put gas in instead of diesel" are enough to scare me away. If VW would actually extend the warranty to 100k on the HPFP like BMW has then I'd probably get a JSW. Unless Acura will just make the TSX wagon with a stick that I and exactly 3 other people want to buy.

Hey, I would have bought it. I liked it so much I even considered one with automatic and gas motor. There was hope though, I held out for hope of a diesel manual, but it never came. Then came Mazda, and they talked up their new skyactiv-D and swore we would see it this year, but I gave up waiting. And good riddance too cause all those fuckers backed out of their poo poo. I was excited though, I've owned Mazdas and Hondas before, we had history and I was ready to repeat it. Fuckem though, if they're not going to make the car I want, I'll buy it from those who do. So I did, and so far I really like my TDI JSW.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

VacaGrande posted:

I haven't heard any stories of VW not covering the cost of HPFP replacement.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Diesel thread resurrection because of my 7.3 again.

I had a shudder and loss of power the other day that felt like a fuel starvation issue. So I replaced the fuel filter and gave it a whirl today.

As soon as the engine got hot the same drat thing happened :(

Injectors? Something else?

I about want to just sell the thing, I get nowhere near enough use out of it to justify even the insurance payment and I swear most of the problems are a product of it not being driven like it should be.

edit: I just drove back from lunch where I had posted that from my phone and it ran just fine. Maybe it was just a bubble in an injector fuel line even though I made sure to do the full repeated 30-seconds of purging when I put the cover back on the filter. Still thinking about selling it...

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 20, 2014

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Was finally able to do some highway only driving this weekend and test out the fuel consumption on my Golf, did 506Km (480 highway) and used 27.85L for an average of 5.5L/100Km

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Found an interesting conversion that y'all might enjoy. Not sure why, as the motor options in '75 weren't terrible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271492162044

Looks like another generic AMC.

Maybe a bit of rust, but that's normal.

That pump on the left doesn't look stock.

And this Mercedes engine sure wasn't an option in '75.

At least he kept the drum brakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

edit: I just drove back from lunch where I had posted that from my phone and it ran just fine. Maybe it was just a bubble in an injector fuel line even though I made sure to do the full repeated 30-seconds of purging when I put the cover back on the filter. Still thinking about selling it...

Usually prior to a filter change, I cycle the key a few times to push air out of the lines that will no doubt get trapped in there and cause starvation issues post filter change.

• Locked thread