Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

My diesel bitch. 37mpg while cruising at 85mph is pretty sweet.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SwashedBuckles posted:

Awesome car! I had one of those as a loaner a few years back. I liked it better than the 335i, but couldn't you only get them with a Tiptronic transmission?

Yeah, but I have a Triumph 675 for when I want to hit the canyons or do a trackday. :v:
It's got a JBD tuner on it and is enough to surprise people and have fun with a full car.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

JosephStalinVEVO posted:

Only drove it the ~10 miles home so far, but it's pretty amazing. Got passed by a Honda Odyssey going up hill.
I posted the picture of mine but it's an '11 MSport with a JBD Tuner. There is something wrong if your car doesn't accelerate downhill and you're getting passed by an Odyssey going up hill. I've killed a Lotus Evora in this thing... yeah, Evoras run mid 13's but it's still enough to tell you that it's not balls-rear end slow. It doesn't really slow down acceleration wise until the 130s.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
A few weeks ago I sold my track/DD Triumph Daytona 675 that I put a few trackdays and like 12k miles on over 8 months because I kinda wanted a car / I didn't want to wad a bunch of money at the track.

Soooo I bought a beat-rear end 2000 Jetta TDI for way too much money ($4800).

Since I bought it I've put 2k miles on it, replaced the DMF with the Sachs quiet SMF clutch kit, and fixed a bunch of little poo poo. Total into the car is about $5600 now.

When I bought it the IQ was around 9 at idle so I 'hammer modded' that down to 4-ish; the timing was so far retarded that it made smoke on cold start and wouldn't show on the VAGCOM map - I just fixed it to this:

drat thing is pretty quick for what I had expected and the gas mileage is almost at what my Triumph was doing... I think I kinda like this car. Time to finish my 2000 Yamaha R1 trackbike before I lose my poo poo though.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 14, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

savesthedayrocks posted:

I like this, I'm going to use it for my car to log maintenance. I'm wondering, what's the difference between "paid" and "market price"?

It was something I was too lazy to hit delete column on from my last car

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Opensourcepirate posted:

Does it have a tuning chip? I'd highly recommend getting one.

Not yet - bone stock. I'm kinda not certain on modding the thing yet because I see myself picking up nozzles ($250-300) and a stage 2/3 tune ($250-350)... then a VNT17/22... then coilovers and wheels...

I keep telling myself that it's going to be a stock DD. We both know that never happens. :)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 16, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

veedubfreak posted:

Now if only the price of diesel would go down. It's not supposed to stay more expensive than gas during the summer god damnit.

I note it varies wildly around where I live - some parts of town it's more than premium and other parts it's below unleaded. :psyduck:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Mine too. VE. What does it take to make 175/300 on these? I'm looking for something more like 150-160hp. Seems like that's VNT17 or VNT17/22 territory. What is the VNT15 with a tune/nozzles good for?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

CommieGIR posted:

I'd love a 6th gear :(
http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/the-102/A4-5th-gear-conversion/Detail
http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/the-178/A4-.658-5th-Gear/Detail
:v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I do 40 flat on average with like 35/65 highway split. If I'm super nice to the car I get up around 42... 2000 TDI.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

schmagekie posted:

I don't know what you guys are doing... I average 48-52 in my 2012 Golf TDI.

Either you are going by the (incorrect) OBC or you're a saint that commutes on a 55mph highway 100% of the time.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/golf/2012

Look at the averages by years:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/golf/diesel%20l4
In my case, it's a 50mph limit on surface streets with a fair amount of red lights, a 65mph highway limit with 75mph traffic flow, and Arizona cranked AC.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 7, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Where is the cheapest place to get nozzles? I was going to go DBW PP520s for $415 but maybe there is a cheaper place.
My car has all of the beautiful symptoms of hosed injector nozzles - rough idle when cold that clears as the car warms up, white smoke on cold start, returning to idle hangs, etc.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NitroSpazzz posted:

poo poo I brought in oil and a filter so the VW Dealership could change my oil when they did the timing belt. I may be an idiot but this engine has been running for the last 200k on this stuff (Rotella T6), I'm sticking with it.

T6 is more than fine. I run that poo poo in literally everything I own - including sportbikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KozmoNaut posted:

Not significantly more than a similarly modern 4-cylinder gasoline engine.

How bad is it? If it vibrates this much, you may have a busted dual-mass flywheel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D3xgi1d5gQ

Haha, that's my video. The car did have a bad DMF.

• Locked thread