Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Anyone have any thoughts on the audi A3 tdi?

I am really reconsidering selling the 2008 forester I have. 23-25mpg is not so great and I'm not sure I should bother with AWD here in Seattle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

It's a lot of money for a Golf with a slightly nicer interior.

Sorry should have been clearer, I was looking at 2010 models which don't seem too much more than the jetta wagons of the same year.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How do you like it so far? They are finally getting under 30k.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

trouser chili posted:

I've been considering a new Jetta Sportwagon. The ol 240d still works great but I've put 50,000 on it and and it's a bit rough in places where it's never really going to get better without an undue infusion of cash and time. I'm interested in a vehicle that's a bit more "get in it and drive it" than the 240d. Not that the Mercedes has been unreliable, far from it, but at 31 years old there are things wearing out that had no expectation of having a maximum lifespan. It's also not that great at road trips and the a/c, while functional, is probably in need of a complete overhaul.

So that brings me to the TDI Sportwagon. I drove one the other day, an automatic 2013 model, and I liked it a lot except the transmission. This DPF thing worries me a bit, but I'm guessing it's ok and the minute it's not ok anymore I can find a DPF delete kit. I'm also a bit worried about VW reliability, which has a history of being not so great in the US. How about timing belts, is it a tough job?

I just picked up a brand new 2013 sport wagon TDI last month with the DSG and navigation package and I really like it so far. Normally I wouldn't have considered the DSG over the 6 speed but I was thoroughly impressed by how well it drives.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I really love the DSG on my 13 Jetta SW

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

blk posted:

A friend of mine might be moving overseas and leaving behind his 2012 Sportwagen TDI DSG. I'm considering buying it from him for my wife, it has about 24k mile on it now and 12k left on the warranty (he might not be moving for a few months so I don't know what the situation would be at that point). I don't know much about modern VWs - anything I should know about the drive train, electrics, or other issues? I've typically been scared off by VWs but might be willing to give this a shot.

I've got 8k on our '13 JSW TDI (DSG) and I love it. Best mileage I've gotten so far is 42 on the highway, going 70-75.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah, I love the seats. Much better than the forester we had before it.

• Locked thread