Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Sire Oblivion posted:

Since when are Ultra David and James Chen rich? And is P4A still dead as poo poo?

It's shocking how far the joke has gotten!

It was never dead, but netplay is slowing down lately, specially xbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Chacmool posted:

Shout outs to BananaKen taking out Wolfkorne from losers at Frosty Faustings, really nice Ken play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=i_e5J3lAQB8

wahooo :toot:

I honestly didn't think I'd win since I've barely been playing AE, but I guess everyone's been getting a bit rusty lately. I felt pretty confident in P4A though, specially when grand finals was a 7-3 matchup in my favor (rip yukiko)

apple
May 18, 2003

The Dark Wind posted:

I've never gotten all the hate for Champ. Yeah sure he's a trash talker but he's never seemed extremely malicious or done hardly anything terrible outside of that. He's an incredible player and some of the things he does are hysterical. Watching him troll the gently caress out of XBL was hilarious, what with his optimized Dormammu teabagging combos and all

Honestly it's hard to tell if his trash talk and "zaniness" is part of his shtick or if he really acts like he does normally. He's thrown matches for the sake of money before and he plainly admits it 8:00 minutes into this interview. To be fair this interview is like 2 years old now but it says a lot about him, and these were one of the first impressions people got from him having just won a major at the time. It's not just his supposed "persona" that people hate, people hate him because he says/does retarded poo poo on a regular basis, but he happens to be a great player so people put up with him I guess.

apple
May 18, 2003

Death Bot posted:

I talked to him some at youmacon before I had much exposure to the scene (actually bought a stick from him that he won in a raffle) and was a decently nice guy. I was pretty surprised to hear about his reputation after that!

Looks like someone (FChamp) needs to read up on Playing to Win.

I think he's been trying to clean up his act because he wants to make himself more marketable and ultimately earn more money through sponsors and twitch.tv followers. It's definitely not a bad thing, but from my interactions with him, most of his actions are money oriented; it's just that before he embraced being a bonafide douchebag and his money source was from tournaments, money matching random people and raffling stuff.

Haha, piling up raffle winnings to sell them for cash is a classic move by Fchamp. Did he at least sell it to you for cheap? He used to raffle his raffle winnings so he could essentially re-sell a $150 MSRP stick for $200+, until people started getting sick of it and calling out the practice. I think he still does the "CPU tournaments" though.

Sorry if it just seems I'm whining about him/digging up dirt, but no, he's not "nice", not the first/second/third times I've met him. He will happily take your money though!

apple
May 18, 2003

Minorities posted:

I'm happy about sub only chat but mostly for the reason that chat spam is the #1 reason for my streams freezing up temporarily when something hype happens. People mash emotes and words and everything slows to a crawl and I miss good stuff.

Not only that, without sub only it's just plain illegible past a certain amount of viewers. Weeklies don't quite hit those numbers yet, but it's starting to become a pain to keep up with it. I'm lucky I have mod status on the TS channel I guess :v:

apple
May 18, 2003

That match was fake as gently caress.

apple
May 18, 2003

Coca Koala posted:

I take back everything I just said about ChrisG's morridoom. Watching Flocker do the same thing actually makes it crystal clear how differently Chris does it. Wow.

It also made it pretty clear just how oppressive morridoom with meter is. Sure ChrisG has by far the best morrigan, but why should that stop any top player from taking up morrigan? The match where he just switched to zero/morrigan/doom, flocker made ChrisG's morrigan kick the bucket through chip damage mostly.

I think if Flocker mains that 2nd team for a while theres potential to "counter" ChrisG's team. The idea I got from his last ditch effort was to maintain a passive defense with Zero since he's pretty decent at avoiding morrigan; meanwhile harmonizer assist builds meter for his turn to use morridoom.

apple
May 18, 2003

Those grand finals were shameful, as expected nowadays (sadly)

I think Viscant summarizes it nicely:

Viscant posted:

It's not about pot splits or having friends. It's not about what you do with the money. That's your business and your business alone. It's hard to say no to your friends if they want to split the pot and it's REALLY hard to turn down a split if you don't want the pressure and you need the money. The pressure of playing a 3 out of 5 money match for $2500 to pay your rent is something most stream monsters will never know. Screw em.

What it's about is not spitting in the face of people who care about the game and care about you. If you're one of the best players at a game you're one of the leaders of your community. You're someone that people look up to and develop an emotional response to. Pooh pooh that all you want, that's the truth. People on 20 forums 45 minutes ago were arguing about matchups and man vs. man and now are just frustrated with both the players and the game.

Even if you don't care about the game and even if you don't care about what people think of you, those people are paying your bills by supporting events. Those people are paying your bills by patronizing your sponsors and keeping your scene going. Even if you don't care about them, you should care enough about yourself to not spit in their face.

Marvel is about hype. For better or for worse. If you kill the hype and the passion, you'll kill the game.

apple
May 18, 2003

uXs posted:

Nothing is stopping them from having a written agreement.

No one ever does that for splitting, not in the FGC anyway. Even money matches with thousands on the line are agreed upon verbally, though there might have been an exception here or there.

ToastyPotato posted:

This, and once word gets out that the player isn't trustworthy, they lose out on any future deals with their opponents. And let's be honest, it is a small group of players that this would even be relevant for.

Yeah pretty much this. No one trusts Wolfkrone nowadays.

As an aside, it's very possible to pot split and play your best either way, but this is not what Justin/ChrisG did. They stood up after the 3-0 from ChrisG including the all random match (they were forced to play again after that). They stopped caring after GF's. I've been on the receiving end of ChrisG's "not give a gently caress" mode simply because he was losing to me in SFxT. He picked random characters vs Bala in KOF since he felt he couldn't beat him. I don't care much about the pot splitting as much as the message it brings when "top players" don't respect the competition anymore. If you really do feel that way for whatever reason, then just forfeit and don't waste people's time, simple!

As for Justin, I don't know what was going through his head but it's anywhere between agreeing to split, just conceding that he would lose to ChrisG or just not wanting to play late (this is actually a thing).

apple
May 18, 2003

Yep

apple
May 18, 2003

PS3 really does suck for marvel, specially when xbox is the console of choice in your area or in tournaments you typically attend. That doesn't excuse ChrisG's ridiculous response to his loss though, and attributing every loss to PS3 lag is a lovely cop-out when you've been willing to playing marvel at a high level this long anyway.

apple
May 18, 2003

Double Bill posted:

But only do this if you're a butthurt little baby.

You're serious, aren't you?

apple
May 18, 2003

just a butt posted:

People were saying this after SF25 ended. BEAR or not Seth still has the fundamentals to at least be a threat to Infiltration.

IMO seth plays a little too nutty to work over the long term, relying on "hard reads" more than he should be getting away with. However, we need to see people *really* abusing tiers to see this bite seth up the rear end and that might never happen, so he might be safe :shobon:

apple
May 18, 2003

graynull posted:

According to Flash and Fanatiq(which is probably the prelude to a sentence that doesn't mean much), the Judges were being given little $20 giftcards for keeping their pools running smoothly and on time. This is what made them so DQ happy, so they say.

2 hours to run a 16-32 man bracket with 4 stations is NOT hard. There was no pressure whatsoever to cut corners through DQ'ing people outside of the conditions they were explicitly told to DQ people on. To add to this, any players that had time conflicts and thus had to delay matches on one or more pools would not result in judges being penalized and not receiving compensation.

In regards to DQ'ing conditions, they need not exhaust all available matches to DQ people. Just not checking in is enough to get you DQ'd, even if it means you losing to a bye. You were just sent to losers and if you still didn't show up by the time your losers match is up then you finally get eliminated. If you were in multiple pools or semifinals you had to *check in* to every single one of them while telling them of the time conflict, in which case staff would accomodate for this conflict.

apple fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 29, 2013

apple
May 18, 2003

Yeah, couldn't go unfortunately, had a meeting today :(

apple
May 18, 2003

Brett824 posted:

The sad part of this is that Fanatiq is literally the entire reason that almost anyone who owns an AGE product actually owns one. Say what you want about him being obnoxious about promo codes, he did end up selling a lot of products.

Sure, he's managed to get AGE products sold with his apparent shtick of plugging in promo codes at inopportune times, but someone else could have easily done a much better job. Fanatiq used to be my favorite marvel player, but he hasn't taken the game seriously in forever, and as of late all I see from him is drama and gambling. ChrisG, while being the star player, does little outside of wearing too many headsets at once and has a personality that ranges from super chill to that of a constipated brick during tournaments. He's undeniably a talented player, but that by itself won't convince me to buy stuff from your sponsor. If anything, it's thanks to those two that I've never bought an AGE product.

apple fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 18, 2013

apple
May 18, 2003

Brett824 posted:

I think you're denying successful AGE has been in terms of just a product sponsorship for some reason. Credit also probably goes to how visible they are on the player, but I cannot think of another more successful product because of a player being sponsored. MCZ sponsors tons of players, but not many people wear Tritton headsets around to every tournament -- and their sticks were successful before they sponsored half the FGC, and they probably sell sticks more due to events they sponsor with promo codes + having booths at events. Razer sponsors some teams and players, and I don't think anyone in the FGC has ever purchased a Razer product (tbh I don't know what FGC-relevant products they have). Players have been sponsored by Gunnar, some shirt brands, some e-cig brands, etc and none of those have had the same results. At every goddamn tournament I go to, local or major, I see a minimum one dude with an obnoxious glowing controller or a goofy headset. I don't even know if they're particularly good products. I just know the time from Fanatiq using one and running his mouth about it to everyone in the goddamn world having a PDP product was far more effective than any other sponsorship I've seen in the FGC, even if it did piss people off. PDP/AGE really has never sponsored an event, don't really sell products at events themselves and don't make anything that is really unique. I think Fanatiq is at least partially responsible for that.

I'm simply stating that I've been dissuaded from buying AGE products because of how some of their players portrayed themselves. I don't feel that "wow, I really want to support these guys" vibe (and I'm not too big on all the glowy peripherals I guess). Plus, I dunno about calling the whole thing successful if their current manager leaves and Fanatiq is removed from the team..

apple
May 18, 2003

may contain peanuts posted:

Is Flocker banned too?

Flocker's in Miami, Mashfest is a NYC local thing

Tae posted:

"We're too scrubby and terrible to even attempt to beat ChrisG, so we're going to intentionally make our tourney a fraud just to outfraud a guy when he beats everyone anyways."

This is probably much smaller than whatever numbers TNL gets, so it's not like there's significant money involved anyway. Attention whor-ey? Sure. At least he explained people like JWong have done a similar thing then apologized, while there was no such thing from ChrisG. Instead of dealing with the mess of proving collusion/underperforming on the spot they just ban him after the clownshow at VxG. I know I would be upset if I was a TO, so I can understand, even if it wasn't the best way to go about it.

apple fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 30, 2013

apple
May 18, 2003

Brosnan posted:

Yeah that is definitely what happened!

The funny thing is people like Arturo have gotten banned from tournaments before for something like that, but yeah this hasn't happened since the 90's or early 2000's.

apple
May 18, 2003

That tweet is as informative as your average OBS show

apple
May 18, 2003

Equilibrium posted:

I kind of buy it? It's not like this is the first time that Chris pulls out some janky team or character in grand finals, especially at a local. I mean this is the guy who got sent to losers at EVO for sticking with his dumb Magneto team and then played Ammy/Morrigan/Phoenix his next match in losers. When he pulled out his garbo Batman vs Rico the first thing Rico said on twitter was, "I want to make it clear I did not split the pot", so idk maybe Chris really was just practicing his Batman/Yang, or maybe he really didn't care.

Link all of Sanford's Balrog counterpicks to Yang players

apple
May 18, 2003

Brett824 posted:

You know why I'm honestly pretty inclined to believe Sanford? Back during the period of Sanford vs Dieminion GF that everyone joked about, every week Sanford picked his poo poo and tried his hardest against his friend and teammate who he most likely was splitting with every time. Maybe he really was just counterpicking until Chris actually picked his poo poo.

It's more likely his ego won't let him just pick Sagat because he felt he doesn't need him to beat his Yang. I swear it's like ChrisG does it on purpose. Then again they both looked at Spooky and laughed at him after the picks. :downs:

apple
May 18, 2003

AkumaHokoru posted:

Honest Facts. Real Talk.

they tried to pull one to see if we would enforce the rule.

Long and short is I asked chris would he have picked yang if they werent splitting. he said no. end of story that triggers the exact loving rule.

Sanford counterpicking chris is a valid counterpick...except NO ONE could vouch for sanford playing rog. People have seen and fought chris's pocket yang. the counterpick is what made poo poo really weird and it was just like gently caress you guys. so action was taken.

Pot splits are nothing new. its when people make it obvious that they are splitting by playing a throwaway/super gimmicky match in grand finals is when people will take issue with the problem if it happens because teammmates meet in the 3rd round or something I doubt anyone will bat an eye but in grand finals? thats a giant gently caress you to everyone watching, entering, and running the event.

Grow up. Play your poo poo...

It was pretty goddamned obvious they just wanted to test it, I can't believe they had the audacity to try and lie their way out of it.. smh

What the hell would this have achieved other than feed their egos? I don't think they realize the whole anti-collusion thing has been around at EVO for-loving-ever thanks to the players themselves forcing the rule to be set and they treat it like it's some recent, shady rule to abuse the players.

apple fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 1, 2013

apple
May 18, 2003

heiden posted:

I feel like Chris G is tired of the fgc and bitter because he feels like there won't be enough money in it for him in the future either, so he's chosen to troll and enjoy the ride while it lasts - perhaps he knows/feels like his run of tournament wins is slowly coming to an end. I can certainly sympathize with such a position, whether you think it's the players or the streamers/TO's that make the scene. In conclusion, Chris G owns & his Morrigan play will be called legendary someday, noone else is bringing that to the table.

Maybe there won't be enough money for him in marvel? But if he keeps doing his thing with next-gen fighters and works on his image a little bit, then yes there could certainly be money. I don't know about you, but at this rate all ChrisG is going to be remembered by is that he's another immature manchild that's good at fighting games. We have a lot of those, he's not irreplaceable trust me.

apple
May 18, 2003

just a butt posted:

Doesn't KOF13 also have links, except with stricter timing?

Some links using normals require strict timing, but otherwise you can hold down the button for specials and super moves to make most bnb's and even HD combos much easier. Some combos will still require manual timing since not all of them require doing a move immediately after you recover from your previous move.

As far as comparing SF4 with KOF, it's hard for me to compare them.. there's tradeoffs between the two ranging from how the game buffers button presses to input shortcuts which can help or sometimes even screw you over.

apple
May 18, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

I didn't know you could get across a full jutting lower lip pout with just a tweet.

It might be more like an exaggerated wink while he thumbs up Candace

apple
May 18, 2003

Parallax Scroll posted:

Wow, the evo site looks nice.

I appear like 30 seconds in, behold my wonderful striped color shirt

apple
May 18, 2003

Last time something similar happened it was called galaxy4gamers, Wolfkrone milked it for well over a thousand dollars and killed all interest on it (He would enter every single tournament bracket). You can set up 1v1's as well but people entered used G4G mostly for online tournaments with bonus pot/prizes.

Maybe they're doing something better than galaxy4gamers, best of luck to them!

apple
May 18, 2003

Zhi's commentary was pretty good during grand finals of AE2012, but you could tell he reverted into normal Zhi immediately after v:shobon:v

Mago and Tokido both played amazing, that was a great set.

apple
May 18, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

I'd kinda wondered why Poongko wasn't at the CafeID tournament. Turns out he posted on his twitter a few days back that he's boycotting CafeID events; though he won't say why there was evidently some sort of falling out there. He does say he's still training and plans to participate in foreign tournaments on his own money, but still. I think it's a shame as a spectator.

Yeah I don't know what's going on there. Aside from Poongko having some kind of personal issue, the only two things that seemed weird to me is the location of the tournament and the prize distribution.

For one, Jeju is a really expensive place. It's an island south of South Korea and it's almost all tourism/vacationing/conferences. There's not many cheap places to stay and they sell out quick on busy weekends. I went there for some school related conference and everything except the most expensive places were sold out. You could get cheap, decent meals on 7-11's ($3 to $5), but eating anywhere else I would spend anywhere from $12 for an average meal to $20+ for stuff like black pig. Any food sold on hotels will be even pricier.

The prize distribution (or lack thereof) was crazy, 1st place getting all the bonus pot is really rough for people who get top 3.

apple
May 18, 2003

I second the notion that TTT2 is just hard to grasp for non-tekken players. The people at levelup do a pretty good job commentating it, but I used to play tekken myself so it's easy to recognize what's going on. I'm not sure if there's people that do a good enough job to at least get your average viewer interested in what's going on.

apple
May 18, 2003

ToiletDuckie posted:

As someone who has never played Tekken, it's practically impenetrable from a "I know why he did that" perspective. I don't know if it's because there's so many characters or if it's because the characters have so many moves, but I've never thought something like "If I was this guy I'd do ____ right now". Everything (at face value) seems completely arbitrary besides the general goal of "launcher -> tag team combo for half of the other dude's life -> catch the tag in ".

Are most moves in Tekken "bad"? Or is it a matter of plus and minus frames on certain moves? Or is it because there's low/mid/high blocking plus the possibility of jumping plus the possibility of side stepping, back dashing, or forward dashing, much less grabs? Whatever it is, it's really hard to figure out the flow of things. Soul Calibur V is somewhat similar when I watch that, but it "feels" simpler because there's less life and no tagging? In contrast, while DOA5 is kind of ugly to watch in motion it's pretty easily understood from a game mechanics perspective.

Just my opinion, of course.

What constitutes a Good Thing, a Bad Thing, and what a player could have done is best left for a good commentator. The unfortunate part is that the lightning fast pace of fighting games makes this hard to point out regardless of the title, and it's even harder in Tekken (though I don't see why you couldn't achieve this).

And yes actually, most moves are "bad" in the sense that when both characters are in a neutral position, you can only expect a small fraction of the movelist. This is because many of the moves serve very specific purposes and sometimes are just very gimmicky one-time-use moves, while others are either combo fillers or continuations of a chain of moves (which are listed as an extra move in the movelist). For example, you wouldn't ever try to do a very slow unblockable move against a good player at the start of a round, as they would simply move out of the way or interrupt you on reaction. You generally want to break the ice by doing specific moves which reliably grant you some momentum without too much commitment, which then lets you start your offense. While this can paradoxically give the opponent some foresight as to what moves to expect, you will want to be using moves that are hard to deal with regardless of their anticipation in a "neutral" situation.

In a sense, Soul Calibur V is simpler because it has a great deal more of guessing, mostly because movement is riskier and overall inferior by design. One of the biggest things that separate an average player from a great player in Tekken is movement, since it's easily the biggest factor in "controlling the chaos" that are these huge movelists. If you're elusive with your movement while having solid blocking/throw breaking, suddenly the opponent will only have a tiny subset of his movelist as viable options against you.

As for DOA5, I have no idea about that game. v:shobon:v

apple
May 18, 2003

HoneyBoy posted:

Jaha already got at Valle about that and Noel is no longer on mic.

I don't know Noel Brown very well, but I feel people like him are always given second/third/fourth chances after hosed up poo poo happens because they've never shown passion/vested interest in anything else. I imagine from a friend's point of view having him ostracized from the FGC is the worst thing for his mental health right after getting out of jail. I don't defend his behavior at all, just seeing things from their perspective.

Still though, FGC amnesia strikes again (except for JaHa, that came out of the left field)

apple
May 18, 2003

LogicNinja posted:

Banishment to the abyss is like a mixup you can block 95% of the time but the 5% you don't it takes your whole lifebar.

Unless you Daigo parry your way out of it

apple
May 18, 2003

Caitlin posted:

I love that anytime someone puts in shitloads of work and comes back, turns it around and wins it's collusion.

Oh FGC. :allears:

PR Rog was definitely playing better than before, but Infiltration also played significantly worse than what's usually expected of him. It's not collusion, but maybe Infiltration played too much USF4 or whatever, and continuing to practice and maintaining your level of play is something you have to do to stay consistent, which is something that PR Rog has proven to do, so props to him~

apple
May 18, 2003

Being on the same team for fighting games rarely matters, if at all. EG guys mostly do their own thing. In the words of ultradavid: https://twitter.com/ultradavid/status/466021531324149760

Team PIE is a notable exception I suppose, they've shown a track record of regularly playing/training together on streams, but to this TO's should just answer "tough luck" if they run into each other. What should have been done is simply better seeding in the first place. The whole "preliminary bracket" poo poo is just pussyfooting on the whole player floating issue, there's no way you can't have a clear outline of who from each pool goes where in the top 32 bracket. If you're moving players around after the tournament started, you're floating! It's not rocket science.

It's even worse they were "fair" about it and took into account team PIE's proximity to each other. With these guys's standards you could create team GoonerZ and use that along regional seeding to make sure you guys never run into each other.

apple
May 18, 2003

Yet another blowup, apparently Ricky originally requested the float: http://www.twitch.tv/iplaywinner/c/4251000?t=18m30s

HonzoGonzo may act like a retard on twitter but he seems legitimately sick of bracket rigging (a lot of us are), he's being serious on the subject at hand at least. After the Ricky thing, Honzo goes into detail on why floating/re-seeding is a Bad Thing as well as how often there's instances of it in majors.

Anyway, if this is true it doesn't take away any responsibility from ECT TO's, but it probably means Ricky Ortiz dodged a bullet by having LI Joe and SJC take all the blame and deny any involvement.

Also, I love Smug. :allears:

apple
May 18, 2003

Hypocrisy posted:

It we match up the stories Ricky and K Brad both knew (since Ricky asked K Brad).

No one said a thing about Justin knowing but if we have 2 EG members knowing about it...

In the youtube upload, it's clarified that it's just some dude called Brad, Honzo mistakenly says KBrad in the video though. Someone should ask the Brad guy for confirmation!

Death Bot posted:

When you banish the EG squad to opposite ends of the bracket, you end up with the Rufus Mirror Grand Finals, which makes everyone turn the loving stream off.

Yeah that's what I was thinking of too. ECT has had a history of floating "for hype matches", but this kind of floating is almost definitely by player request. That, or LI Joe/SJC have the worst definition of hype on Earth.

apple
May 18, 2003

EX Quesadilla (or any other version, they're all -17) can definitely be punished better than was shown in that Spring Fighter stream, but that move is still kind of overpowered. It does a lot of things and it does them well. Although he can HK tatsu, walk up sweep or U1 blocked quesadillas, Valle's Ryu still looked pretty helpless, not sure if knowing these punishes would be enough.

Max punish on quesadilla is basically a pre-requisite to fighting El Fuerte now, though. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

That picture is apparently after at least two hospital visits, so it's not like he isn't trying to get it cured. He'd also been to a doctor prior to Evo, back when they looked like glorified bug bites and not whatever gross nastiness he actually has.

Despite being told that he could technically go, the doctor advised against going to EVO anyway (and of course he ignored this advice, he's Marn). Thanks to this he probably delayed proper diagnosis and treatment on his exploding legs. He probably got prescribed medicine for treating Henoch-Schönlein Purpura initially, didn't bother waiting to see if it got any better and just went straight to EVO. The fact he's seeing a dermatologist for the first time NEXT TUESDAY is mind boggling.