Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Any suggestions for small-medium Christmas gifts for my brother? He's the kind of tech guy who wants to be a post-collapse woods hermit. Likes dicking around in the woods and that kind of aesthetic, not hardcore hiking, not camping afaik. I usually get him things along those lines, but I'm running low.

I'm already getting him a book about a hermit and an AllTrails t-shirt. Past hits have included Muir books, little emergency things (firestarter, whistle), Swiss army knife, insulated enamelware mug, socks, etc. Things that are useful for hiking are good, but just everyday useful things with a hiking/woods aesthetic are cool too. He also likes cooking, a little vegetable gardening, and alcohol.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Headlamp or little LED camp lantern?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
REI has some gift ideas available. My suggestion would be a Hydroflask decked out with a rubber boot.

https://www.rei.com/s/gifts-for-him

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Hip flask always works for a cool little thing to tote some whisky/rum/etc. out into the woods in a manageable package. Aeropress if he likes his coffee, for purposes of having outside in his fancy insulated enamel mug.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

smartwool socks are literally never a bad gift. If enough people give them to me i'll just wear them every day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm the idiot that doesn't like smartwool socks, they're too thick and my feet feel like they're in a sauna, especially if I'm wearing heavier duty shoes. Trail runners are okay.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

xzzy posted:

I'm the idiot that doesn't like smartwool socks, they're too thick and my feet feel like they're in a sauna, especially if I'm wearing heavier duty shoes. Trail runners are okay.

:confused: I’m wearing some thin smartwool socks right now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Freaquency posted:

:confused: I’m wearing some thin smartwool socks right now.

Well I don't have their entire lineup memorized! :v: I buy what REI has on the hangers and they always have insanely thick socks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I bought a collection of smart wool socks and some are thin and some are thick and I have no idea which ones I bought

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

xzzy posted:

Well I don't have their entire lineup memorized! :v: I buy what REI has on the hangers and they always have insanely thick socks.

To be fair I went to their website after being snarky and I have no clue which are the ones I have. They are like the thin running socks but are the crew length. They’re really nice for summer hiking.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I just like the uh "normal" thickness ones for hiking, they have always done the best for me in preventing blisters. They also dry out fast tied to the side of a pack which means easy washing and keeping them semi-fresh after multiple days on the trail.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I like the regular thickness ones with the terry knit bottoms, I wear them year-round, every day. Not smartwool, but similar. If I need something beefier, I just wear thicker wool socks on top as a second layer. Keeps my feet nice and toasty, even in freezing temps and in leather boots without liners or membranes.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 14, 2021

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Question: do any of the fancy wool socks (smart wool, darn tuff, etc) make compression socks? I miss fancy wool socks, but sadly can't wear ANY that band/stop at the ankle/calf these days for more than an hour or so.

Upside is hiking in compression socks means basically a perfect fit, no rubbing extra cloth, no blisters. Downside is now I think of $25 a pair of socks as a great price.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Indeed they do!

https://www.smartwool.com/webapp/wc...erm=compression

https://darntough.com/collections/mens-compression-socks

E: And I'm sure there are a bunch more brands that make them.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 14, 2021

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Darn Tough supremacy :colbert:

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Darn right

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have spent the last ~2 years phasing in Darn Tough light cushion socks and getting rid of lovely cotton socks.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Darn Tough's warranty is extremely real btw. Every spring I sort out any socks that have developed so much as a thin spot in the cushion, and get them replaced for free.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My other sock problem is that once upon a time I teased my wife too many times about finding clean socks, so for my 40th birthday she bought me 40 pairs of haines cotton socks. I refuse to do a wholesale migration to darn tough until I wear through them all because I hate wasting stuff. It's been 5 years..

Lesson learned, don't tease wife.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
Last week my first order of Darn Tough socks came in. I got 2 different styles. Middle weight, but one has more cushion than the other. I am a 10.5 USA shoe size so I bought the socks in an L.

They are not loose on my foot, but I don't know how they should be fitting. Any thoughts? I am used to cycling socks, which are generally thin and TIGHT. That said, I wore each pair for a whole day. No hikes, but there was a lot of walking during the day. My feet seem happy at all of the usual contact points, so I guess I can declare victory.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm an 11.5 and their size chart says I should be a large. Bizarrely though, their large full cushion boot socks fit me fine, but the large mid cushion hikers are WAY too small, I need an XL for that style.

Generally the heel color thingy should be on or close to your heel. But they should otherwise be snug.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Snug, but not so tight that you can't wiggle your toes. Keep in mind that all wool socks will shrink a bit when washed, depending on the proportion of wool in them.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Do they shrink even on full cold?

Will definitely try those. The Sockwell brand compression socks are not bad, but I am a damp feet person, and after a few hikes this fall my feet felt soft from just being kinda clammy for hours. That said, I did love that the ticks at least had to work a bit to get to me. Bought some of the permithrin(sp?) Spray to treat my hiking socks and favorite pants.

I am curious what random hiking things I might get for Xmas, since that was my big thing all late summer and fall.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It feels like they shrink a tiny bit even in a cold wash, but that may just be the agitation scrunching them up.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Darn tough for life. The best socks. I much prefer them over smart wool because they feel more durable while still being comfortable, plus the return policy.

They do shrink a tiny bit when washed especially the first time but I've always had luck stretching them back out length wise.

I've got several pairs of wool socks. Darn tough feel more rigid because of their wool content being higher. I've got other wool socks which are thin and feel almost like a cotton sock. I've got some wool blend socks from Costco that feel exactly like plush cotton socks.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Cold wash and hang dry anything wool and it'll last a very long time

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

The clothes dryer is an abomination.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

You also want to use a specialty detergent. Woolite or similar.

Seconding the fact that dryers are evil. Kind of a necessity for cotton clothes in cold damp weather tho.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I have been told by several wool experts that woolite is bullshit and you're better off washing delicate wool stuff in just water or maybe with a bit of vinegar.

For darn tough socks though i have honestly always done fine with a light amount of my usual scent/dye free detergent in a load with other stuff.

I also don't wash them super often, i rotate through them and let the dirty ones air out until it's time to wear them again and it takes a while for them to actually get dirty.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use kookaburra on my merino stuff once or twice a year, which I guess is probably a woolite analog but basically every site out there suggests using something to preserve the anti-stink benefits of merino.

If actual wool experts think that's bullshit that's pretty interesting but they really ought to SEO it better so google can report on it. :v:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Woolite is all marketing and basically all SEO is marketing and bloggers with paid product placement so that's not gonna happen.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

alnilam posted:

Woolite is all marketing

New thread title?

In any case, all of this sock chat has been really helpful. I ordered a pair of the Darn Tough compression style and hope to try those out this weekend.

And just washing the boot length pairs I got last week in cold, and then air drying them seems to have been just what I needed as far as sizing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

alnilam posted:

I have been told by several wool experts that woolite is bullshit and you're better off washing delicate wool stuff in just water or maybe with a bit of vinegar.

I use generic supermarket wool and delicates detergent and it seems to work just fine, the critical thing is that is must not have any enzymes. For general washing, I use acetic acid instead of fabric softener (for all washing, not just wool). It helps against limescale and supposedly keeps colors vibrant. I haven't seen any negative effects whatsoever in over a decade.

For wool items that are not worn in direct contact with the body, I sometimes skip the acetic acid and use Sonett wool care instead, to add some lanolin back in, which helps outerwear be more water and dirt repellent. You don't want to use it for socks and underwear, since those are supposed to absorb moisture :)

Belated edit: For very affordable merino wool blend socks in a proven quality, the Finnish army's standard M05 liner socks are extremely hard to beat. There's no marketing hype or fancy features, they're just solid well-made socks. I will never buy another pair of cotton socks as long as these are available.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/finnish-m05-liner-socks/5041

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 16, 2021

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Dang and here I've just been tossing my wool socks in with the rest of my laundry without a second thought for years

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Same, but I use woolite/cold water/gentle cycle for everything and air dry anything wool or synthetic

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Anyone have experience backpacking in the Tetons? Specifically - the Teton Crest Trail. I'm gonna shoot for an early September permit with the following Itinerary:

Night 1 - Marion Lake
Night 2 - Basin Lakes area (outside the park)
Night 3 - North Fork Cascade Canyon
Night 4 - Holly Lake (going to stay at Grizzly Bear Lake)

Hopefully I get the spots and no smoke and no snow.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I have not but the cascade canyon area is mind blowing and I remember seeing backpacking spots up in the alpine meadows and being so jealous. Good luck!

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
We did the Solitary Lake in and out of Cascade Canyon this summer. Other than some moose on the trail we had to get uncomfortably close too on the way back it was an amazing hike and I want to do it again.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Naramyth posted:

We did the Solitary Lake in and out of Cascade Canyon this summer. Other than some moose on the trail we had to get uncomfortably close too on the way back it was an amazing hike and I want to do it again.

Yeah that was the route we did. The moose were incredible. So were the pika. Easily a top 5 all time day hike and a top 2 wildlife hike, for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What's up, hikers? Did you do something you're proud of this year? Maybe you hiked a new trail or scaled a new peak. Get it burned into your rap sheet forever by posting in the 2021 Achievement Sixxer thread!