Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Muir posted:

What lens/lenses do you bother to bring? Last time I backpacked on Mount Whitney, I brought an 18-200 lens and my Peak Design carbon fiber tripod in its lightweight short configuration.

Kinda depends on what I'm doing. Usually I'll bring that 24-70 and a 135 prime. I am planning to get the FE 12-24 f2.8 GM in the next month or so for climbing photography because I typically find I want something wider than 24 when the climber gets up near me. I don't have a carbon fiber tripod, but if I did I wouldn't bring it for climbing photography although I likely would for general landscape stuff when out hiking. I get a lot of use out of wide apertures for climbing photography, whereas for landscape stuff I would typically be shooting at something much narrower so something like an 18-200 that only goes down to f4 would be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bare minimum I lug a 24-105 because it's so insanely versatile. If I want all the range I bring my 150-600 super tele. But it's the first thing to get left behind if weight is a concern.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Muir posted:

What lens/lenses do you bother to bring? Last time I backpacked on Mount Whitney, I brought an 18-200 lens and my Peak Design carbon fiber tripod in its lightweight short configuration.

Edit: oh duh, I realized you already said, you bring the 24-70. I think that seems like a good range, I didn't find myself using the 200 end much, though it was nice at times to help frame up a shot differently. I suppose I could've achieved the same thing with less weight by just cropping in post given how many megapixels we have these days.

Sunrise from Trail Camp, Mount Whitney

Yeah I'll use the 135 if I need to reach out further, but the a7riv has 64 mp so you have a ton of leeway to crop in post to frame things better if you can't do it in the moment. Most of what I shoot is either landscape or climbing, so I tend to work more on the wide side than in close. The 135 is handy for shooting from a nearby high point, and is what I typically go to if I see some interesting wildlife just off the trail that stays still long enough for me to swap lenses. My intent over the next year or so is to also pick up the FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM, at which point those 3 GM zooms should be all I need for a long time. The 135mm is also great for outdoor candids at a party, bbq, etc, and it's really good for shooting trail or road running races as well. You don't really need a zoom for races because you can plunk yourself down by the sideline and shoot whatever comes through the frame.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

If I can’t shoot it at 60mm it’s not worth shooting at all, imo

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I shoot 90% of everything on my 35mm 1.8, including weddings, landscapes, and milky way shots. It's not quite as small and light as the Rf 16 2.8 and 50 1.8, but it's the sweet spot between the too focal length wise.

That said, I do often shoot on the 70-200 2.8 for landscapes, the compression really makes some compositions work.

EDIT: imgur compression looking way worse these days, but you get the idea

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Bottom Liner posted:

I shoot 90% of everything on my 35mm 1.8, including weddings, landscapes, and milky way shots. It's not quite as small and light as the Rf 16 2.8 and 50 1.8, but it's the sweet spot between the too focal length wise.

That said, I do often shoot on the 70-200 2.8 for landscapes, the compression really makes some compositions work.

EDIT: imgur compression looking way worse these days, but you get the idea

Those shots are great. I will likely use the 12-24 for night sky shots once I have it. I have to get some settings dialed in for that though, the a7riv can be noisy. I don't have the 35mm f/1.8 but I have the 50mm f/1.2 and I love it. My friend has the 35 and 85 primes, and the 70-200, so between us we have a decent set of glass.

I think the bottom line (no pun intended) here for hiking with camera gear though is that you'll hike with what you have to some extent, weight permitting, and make use of it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

For my Grand Canyon hike a few weeks back I just took a fujifilm disposable film camera. Sent that off to indie film lab today, eager to see how those turn out. I burned through most of the shots on the first day but South Kaibab was definitely deserving of that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I don’t know about cameras but I’m absolutely loving these pictures.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

For my Grand Canyon hike a few weeks back I just took a fujifilm disposable film camera. Sent that off to indie film lab today, eager to see how those turn out. I burned through most of the shots on the first day but South Kaibab was definitely deserving of that.

It really is. That was a dope hike, even if the boots that feel and fit perfectly here in the flat midwest were just a bit too tight for the ups and downs and I bashed my toes every step of the way.

I brought my Fuji x100s along, but didn't take it out at all. My Pixel 6 pro is good enough for sharing poo poo on the internet, and I just dread booting up lighroom and loving around with RAWs anymore.

Also, the ravens at the south rim were loving massive and fearless.

This guy was 100% ready to fight me for my pbj.

Edit: couple more from South Kaibab cuz the Grand Canyon is spectacular and it was one of the best hikes I did this fall.

Also the best sign ever. Dude is having a rough day. :lol:

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 18, 2022

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Casu Marzu posted:

Also the best sign ever. Dude is having a rough day. :lol:

He has a name! It's Victor Vomit :v:

But yeah, Grand Canyon is such an amazing and incredible place. And it's constantly changing—like, yeah, the rocks are all the same, but your perspective can completely shift depending on the weather, lighting, and wildlife. Absolutely one of my favorite places on earth.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Muir posted:

Sunrise from Trail Camp, Mount Whitney

A couple more from that Mount Whitney trip and nearby Eastern Sierra

And a couple black and whites from Yosemite

Acebuckeye13 posted:

But yeah, Grand Canyon is such an amazing and incredible place. And it's constantly changing—like, yeah, the rocks are all the same, but your perspective can completely shift depending on the weather, lighting, and wildlife. Absolutely one of my favorite places on earth.

I'm spoiled for choice in California but I really need to get out to the Southwest. I've briefly been to Petrified Forest, but I haven't been to Grand Canyon or any of the Utah parks.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Some of my Grand Canyon shots

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Finally getting around to posting about backpacking the Teton Crest Trail in September with my wife. We were lucky enough to snag my preferred itinerary for a 4 night, 5 day trip on the TCT. We entered via Death Canyon and exited at Leigh/String Lake. Camping zones were Death Canyon - Alaska Basin - North Fork Cascade - Upper Paintbrush.

We flew into SLC and headed to the Sawtooths to hopefully avoid the Labor Day crowds in the National Parks. Idado was super smoky at the time but somehow, there was hardly any smoke in the Sawtooths. We ended up disperse camping for a few nights outside Stanley and then went on a small hike up to Alpine Lake which may have been one of my favorite parts of the trip.

From there we drove through Idaho and stopped by Craters of the Moon (pretty cool) and EBR-1 (also pretty cool) before spending a few nights in a hotel in Jackon to get organized. We started our 5 day backpacking trip in Death Canyon.

We ended up camping at the upper end of Death Canyon and saw a moose and a few mule deer during the day which was pretty cool. From there, we headed up Death Canyon Shelf which was spectacular.

We crossed into Alaska Basin late in the day and set up camp next to Sunset Lake.

The next morning we headed over Hurricane Pass, down South Fork Cascade, and to the upper part of North Fork Cascade.

This was my favorite camping spot of the trip. Next to a cold river to soak in. Also had 3 black bears in camp at one point.

The next morning we hiked over Paintbrush Divide which was brutal and set up camp in the upper part of Paintbrush Canyon before heading out.

The TCT is definetly a once in a lifetime trip and I'm super stoked we got to experience it. The weather was amazing and there was very little haze.

Afterwards, we chilled in Jackson for a few nights to eat, drink, and sleep in comfortable beds. We headed to Yellowstone then for 4 nights which I might do a seperate write up about.

10/10 would do again.

marsisol fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 18, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Muir posted:

I'm spoiled for choice in California but I really need to get out to the Southwest.

You really do, it's a special place. Here's a few of my favs from Utah

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

LiterallyATomato posted:

Does anyone have any experience hiking with camera equipment (like a DSLR and some lenses, not just a cell phone.) I want to go in a couple day hikes on the Olympic Peninsula in WA state. Wondering what's the best way to pack. I am a novice hiker.

I regularly hike and backpack with my dslr and extremely highly recommend this clip to sling it off a backpack strap: https://www.peakdesign.com/products/capture. It’s been comfortable with a D7500 + 18-300mm lens slung from it on 14+ mile hikes and I am a very big fan of having my camera more or less always at the ready so I’m not slowing down people I’m hiking with to get shots on the trail

I really want to find a way to backpack with my 200-500 but I think it might be simply Too Big

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Trip Report! Thanks to the folks in this forum for the slot canyon recs.

Over Thanksgiving week we headed to Utah to do some hiking. We stayed in Escalante and hit Peekaboo and Spooky slot canyons first. Very cool hike. We (Me: 47 yo woman, husband: 47 yo man, two kids: 9 and 12) could not get up the entrance to Peekaboo, despite bringing a climbing rope and some belaying gear. That’s my fault—I run and hike, but I have literal T. Rex arms.

Entrance with smaller child for scale:

So, we headed to Spooky, which is aptly named. Very narrow, very fun and creepy. We had a good time until I ruined it by not being able to haul my rear end up an extremely steep climb. No problem: family left me behind in the canyon to climb up by themselves.

Spooky with larger child for scale:

We climbed out of Spooky and up along the top of the canyon (pretty freaky looking down into this narrow crack), and went into Peekaboo from the top. We got about halfway down before it became too difficult, so we climbed back out and hiked down on rim. Husband and small daughter climbed up the entrance and hiked through the whole canyon. About six miles that day.

Next, we headed to Little Wild Horse Canyon (on our way to Moab). Favorite hike of the trip! Very much recommended. Amazing slot canyon with narrow bits, and wide open breathtaking bits, and climbing bits that even I could handle. Also long, so you get a lot of bang for your buck. We got about 4 miles up the canyon before heading back. There’s an option to do a loop down through Bell Canyon, but we didn’t take it.

Then we headed to Moab and Arches NP. Really fun. We’d been here before, but it was nice to come back. We did a small loop on day 1 (from Sand Dune Arch to Broken and then Tapestry Arch) then the whole Devil’s Garden loop trail on day 2 (about 7.8 miles). Very terrifying for me (I’m a huge pussy) but the kids had a great time. We saw all the arches.

Kid crack in a crack:

Vagina rock (no one would pose inside it for me):

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm looking for some recommendations on places to disperse camp in the Washington Cascades or Olympic Peninsula for 2-3 nights during spring or summer.
We've done Camp Handy and Dewey Lake a few times over the past couple years and are looking for a new place to check out. Honestly, we'd do Dewey again, but fires aren't allowed within 1/4 mile of the water, and that's something a few people have deemed as high desire. We camped at Anderson Lake (which is a few miles past Dewey) but it's not really a good spot.
Marmot Lake is a place we've been considering, with a day trip to Jade Lake, but TBH I'm not sure everyone would by physically up/conditioned for it. There will be 2-5 people. Some of us have been hiking and backpacking since our time in the Scouts, to folks who have 1-2 years of experience.
We're not super concerned about finding sites in dispersed areas, as this trip will be in the middle of the week. We'd prefer a place with some sort of toilet, but it's not entirely essential

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

its all nice on rice posted:

I'm looking for some recommendations on places to disperse camp in the Washington Cascades or Olympic Peninsula for 2-3 nights during spring or summer.
We've done Camp Handy and Dewey Lake a few times over the past couple years and are looking for a new place to check out. Honestly, we'd do Dewey again, but fires aren't allowed within 1/4 mile of the water, and that's something a few people have deemed as high desire. We camped at Anderson Lake (which is a few miles past Dewey) but it's not really a good spot.
Marmot Lake is a place we've been considering, with a day trip to Jade Lake, but TBH I'm not sure everyone would by physically up/conditioned for it. There will be 2-5 people. Some of us have been hiking and backpacking since our time in the Scouts, to folks who have 1-2 years of experience.
We're not super concerned about finding sites in dispersed areas, as this trip will be in the middle of the week. We'd prefer a place with some sort of toilet, but it's not entirely essential

No fires allowed at Marmot Lake (it's above 4000 feet and west of the crest), and really there shouldn't be any fires happening anywhere in the backcountry of the Western US in summer anymore. With how wildfires are these days, there should be a blanket fire ban everywhere but campgrounds.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

its all nice on rice posted:

The hard part about summer is most places, especially national parks, typically enforce a fire ban often starting around July, especially backcountry sites. It just depends on conditions but I feel like the fire season is starting earlier and going longer.

Spring is so dependent on snow. You might be limited to areas based on what's snow free. Low elevation. Not super far north.

What kind of mileage and elevation are you looking for? Wta.org is a great resource, but some of the hiking sites/apps lack longer multi day routes leaving you to connect your own, which is more than doable. There are a few backpacking books for the state that link together some smaller trails which are nice.

Generally I'd suggest pasayten wilderness just east of the north cascades. You can disappear for a week and see nobody. It's mellower than north cascades but very beautiful. More flat routes with less gain. You can hike up to Canada. It's beautiful and mostly empty but it's a long drive when 20 is closed. Regulations are more relaxed and you can often have fires but it all depends on the conditions. It's also significantly less traveled. Too late in the season and it might get smoky out there.

Anything else in the cascades likely has to wait until July to melt out.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Yeah fires are nice but difficult. We did boat in camping on Ross Lake last year, and there was no burn ban in the NCNP. The people camping next to us had, essentially, a bonfire. We left the next day and went down to Diablo, where there was less than 1/2 mile visibility and ash on our car. Regardless of how some people in the group feel about fires and how essential they may be to camping, we adhere to the rules.

If I'm being realistic about our group's distance capabilities, I'd say 5 miles a day at about 1,000-1,500' total gain. That also depends on starting elevation.
We're set on a canoe trip in May, so the backpacking will most likely be mid to late summer. At that point, fires are definitely a non-starter.

Pasayten wilderness looks like a great area. It wouldn't take us much longer to get out there than to the upper Dungeness trailhead.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Ingalls Creek is open early.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Super pumped for my first winter trip post child!

Going to be a pulk pulling trip, and not sure how many miles I'm going to get in on snowshoes. The snow depth in Northern MN is pretty high, 40+ inches in most places, and I havent done anything but long dayhikes in a year. Got a route planned that puts me past a few established campsites depending on how I feel.

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

Discord: everwake#0311
Steam: Everwake
Xbox: everwake#3338
PlayStation: everwakePS
Nintendo: SW-0815-2733-9404
Mastodon: https://gamepad.club/@everwake

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Going to be a pulk pulling trip, and not sure how many miles I'm going to get in on snowshoes. The snow depth in Northern MN is pretty high, 40+ inches in most places, and I havent done anything but long dayhikes in a year. Got a route planned that puts me past a few established campsites depending on how I feel.

I also live in Northern MN and just started snowshoeing this year. I've only done a couple jaunts around the local parks to build up my stamina but I'm hoping to do a dayhike around Turtle River park next weekend with some friends.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

It can be exhausting. Most of the time I end up breaking trail most of the way. There have been times with a full winter pack that I only end up averaging 1 mph. I can easily get 2-3 on my back on in and outs. If you end up doing longer overnight or multnight trips the best advice I can give to you is to properly layer and control your sweating by quickly taking layers on and off.

It looks like my trip will be super warm by our standards with daytime temps in the 20s so I'll have to be extra mindful of that myself.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Looking at getting or building a pulk for a presidents day weekend trip. Any advice? It would be a pretty easy in and out to a cabin, so nothing too major

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Going to be a pulk pulling trip,

Being from SoCal, I did not know what a pulk was until now.

I have decided to spend the rest of my day at work watching pulk pulling vids.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Looking at getting or building a pulk for a presidents day weekend trip. Any advice? It would be a pretty easy in and out to a cabin, so nothing too major

I mostly watch this guy for his photo explorations of the Cascades, but he also has a video on making a sled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z3FzX8rybE

As I've never done this I have no idea how good his advice is. But it doesn't seem like it's rocket science.. attach some poles to a sled so you can drag it behind you. Maybe with some fins on the bottom to prevent it from sliding laterally downhill.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhB2B3WoV4A

This guy has the best walk through on how to make a cheap setup that I've come across. If you want to spend more check out skipulk.com. I have their siglin pulk and poles and they're fantastic if you don't overload it.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
How difficult is summiting Mt Washington in the Whites? I went last summer and we hiked around a smaller peak but I’d love to actually do Mt Washington itself. Is it silly to get a guide? No one I know would be up for it and I don’t really want to do it solo.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I did it on my own last year. Honestly not that difficult in good weather, much more pleasant than the Adirondacks.

For reference I'm an experienced hiker but overweight and severe arthritis.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

liz posted:

How difficult is summiting Mt Washington in the Whites? I went last summer and we hiked around a smaller peak but I’d love to actually do Mt Washington itself. Is it silly to get a guide? No one I know would be up for it and I don’t really want to do it solo.

It’s not bad and no guide is needed. You can just follow the AT portion up and down and be okay.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've never done it but I hear it's not terribly difficult but people severely underestimate it considering it's an easy first mountain, they don't pack well, and the weather can be the biggest factor. People have died on it and lots have needed rescue.

I'd wager to guess if you're reasonably comfortable in the backcountry, you've hiked before, and you're responsible about what to bring and knowing your limits, you should be fine. Watch the weather.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

It really isn't bad assuming good weather. Unfortunately, good weather usually means crowded summit thanks to the auto road. I've only summited via Ammonoosuc Ravine and Jewell loop. Ammonoosuc is a fairly quick ascent to Lake of the Clouds and not a bad trip up the cone from there. I remember Jewell trail going on forever and demolishing my knees.

George H.W. oval office posted:

It’s not bad and no guide is needed. You can just follow the AT portion up and down and be okay.

The AT traverses the length of the presidential range. I'm assuming you're not suggesting a full traverse or out and back on one half.

carticket fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 14, 2023

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I'm trying to figure out two trips to take this year. Most likely guided backpacking since I don't have local friends that want to go backpacking and have available time. I want to get a trip in over the winter, so I was looking at REI's trips. They've got a Catalina Island traverse that looked like it might be a good time.

I've also got the week of the 4th of July off, and was trying to find a more taxing trip for around then. An interesting option I came across was the Long Range Traverse in Newfoundland (or Labrador?).

Anyone personally familiar with either? I'm in NH, so my day hiking is mostly the Whites, 8-12 miles, 3-5k feet. I have not been able to get a lot of backpacking done, so I don't know what I'm capable of doing for multiple days on end.

I'm open to other ideas as well!

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Newfoundland is an incredibly rugged beautiful place. I'd just caution that when you're that far North you can have really unpredictable weather and very very bad bugs. It's also very remote.
Triply so on every count if it's Labrador.

Edit: you should absolutely do it though. Just have some bug shirts or hoods and never be surprised by a snowy morning no matter the time of year.

Math You fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 14, 2023

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Newfoundland/Labrador was one of the only times survivorman had to abort mission as well due to the ice melting at the wrong time. It's no joke of an environment.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Yeah, I would definitely only do it with experienced people. This is the company that does that trip: https://www.greatcanadiantrails.com/Newfoundland-and-Labrador/Long-Range-Traverse

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Newfoundland/Labrador was one of the only times survivorman had to abort mission as well due to the ice melting at the wrong time. It's no joke of an environment.

Yeah I've seen a guy have to be choppered out of a 100+ day canoe expedition because a blizzard rolled through and froze everything over in October a good solid month ahead of schedule. Guy was obviously super prepared and his planned emergency exit was by float plane but suddenly there was nowhere for hundreds of miles that a plane could land. This was in Northern Quebec just west of Labrador.

Shoulder seasons are super unpredictable, but going in early July you're mostly going to need to contend with unpredictable weather around freezing, lots of rain and fog.. oh, and you'll get to know the black fly very intimately.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Uh, yeah, NH has black flies covered pretty well, too. For some reason they don't like me as much as anyone else I hike with, though. I have a bug net with me for spring into summer hiking around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Math You posted:

Yeah I've seen a guy have to be choppered out of a 100+ day canoe expedition because a blizzard rolled through and froze everything over in October a good solid month ahead of schedule. Guy was obviously super prepared and his planned emergency exit was by float plane but suddenly there was nowhere for hundreds of miles that a plane could land. This was in Northern Quebec just west of Labrador.

Shoulder seasons are super unpredictable, but going in early July you're mostly going to need to contend with unpredictable weather around freezing, lots of rain and fog.. oh, and you'll get to know the black fly very intimately.

this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys-xDACRGlE

he just undertook a 10-day journey to go retrieve the canoe he had to leave behind