Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

God Hole posted:

this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys-xDACRGlE

he just undertook a 10-day journey to go retrieve the canoe he had to leave behind

That's the guy, yeah. Had to watch the video, now I'm wanting to get out there.. only 4 more months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Mount Washington is not exceptionally difficult during th summer if you keep an eye on weather. The most common route up Tuckerman Ravine is about 4.5 miles and 4000 feet of elevation gain. Some of the other routes (such as Huntington) can involve scrambling.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Looking for a general recommendation for hiking gear. Anything good at there?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Nope. All hike gear is garbage. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

its a good idea to have a backpack

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Don't believe the lies that Big Pants is selling. Pants are overrated. Shoes are pretty good though.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
The happiest looking people I have ever seen hiking were buck naked. They were wandering around up in Tuolumne Meadows miles away from the nearest road just having a grand old time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Makes checking for ticks really easy I guess.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

REI is trash. Better off going to Walmart and getting a Coleman setup

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

the REI virgin vs the Walmart/Coleman chad

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

walmart's stuff is surprisingly good

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

COPE 27 posted:

walmart's stuff is surprisingly good

Seems to be all over the place. My local one has Sawyer filters and legit camping hammocks and such, but others just have cheap one use junk.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

They brought in an white label brand a couple years ago that is cheap but not total garbage, so if I forgot to pack something I can usually get a not terrible replacement from a retailer that is everywhere and always open. It's actually saved me a couple times already.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

armorer posted:

The happiest looking people I have ever seen hiking were buck naked. They were wandering around up in Tuolumne Meadows miles away from the nearest road just having a grand old time.

They were probably definitely on mushrooms.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

A Walmart tent saved our bacon on a trip in college. My SO forgot to pack the poles for her family tent and we were five-ish hours from home with rain overnight in the forecast. The Walmart in town had a two-person tent for 30 bucks. It only leaked a little bit!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

pretty sure coleman stuff was standard issue when I was in boy scouts in the early 90s.

Those propane lanterns were hell to prepare, though. I remember that you had to put a thin cotton something or other, then you have to burn it, or something, but I always ended up putting holes in it or something and screwing it up.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Verman posted:

They were probably definitely on mushrooms.

Oh 100% yes. That went without saying.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
For car camping, a white gas Coleman lantern is so great. Yeah wicks can be fragile but I've never had an issue with mine, especially as an adult. I store it in a plastic tote with the rest is my car camping gear and keep a few wicks with it. It's super bright and sips on cheap gas. Plus I don't burn through heavy steel propane canisters regularly.

For backpacking, technology has improved so much. There are certain things to skimp on and other things to splurge on but honestly most new gear is great.

Get a great pack. It carries all your poo poo and bears the weight of it. How it does it, and at what comfort is going to make or break how much you enjoy the trip. Most people will carry 30-40lbs for a multi day trip. A good pack will make it feel like part of your body. A bad one will feel miserable. A good hip belt and shoulder straps are important. Making sure it fits you it very important. A favorite of mine is the osprey Atmos 65. It's not cheap $200 on sale, $270 regular price but osprey has the best warranty and repair, feature rich packs, and great performance.

Get a good down bag unless you plan on being in routinely wet weather. The default suggestion here is the kelty cosmic down 20. It's about $170 regular price, usually 130 on sale, it weighs 2.5 lbs. Packs down small and had a great three season rating. It should easily last you 10 years. It's not *cheap* but it's a great price for a down bag of that quality. Down bags can be washed and refluffed, plus it packs down smaller. Synthetic insulation wears out as it ages.

Get a good sleeping pad. It depends on your sleep style. Side sleeper? You might only be able to enjoy a thick air pad like a big Agnes insulated q core ($200+). It will keep you warm and feel plush. If you're not picky and a back sleeper, you might get away with a z pad ($50). Pads vary in comfort, warmth, packability/weight, and cost. Noise is a surprising factor. Lots of ultra light pads are very noisy and crunchy sounding. Personally my favorite is the big Agnes insulated qcore.

Cook wear. A lot of people enjoy jetboils if all you do is boil water. Others like mini stoves like the pocket rocket. There are so many cheap knockoffs you can find something inexpensive but the pocket rocket and jet boil are the two most common stoves I see.

For tents, this swings wildly between options. You could go ultralight and use a tarp or you go plush and get a traditional tent. In general I would suggest a 1 or 2 person backing tent that at most, weighs 5lb.

Budget option is the REI passage 1 or 2, usually $100 on sale, $160 regular and weighs around 5 lbs. Or you could upgrade and go with something like a Nemo hornet which weighs 2lbs but costs $375.

There's a lot of things you can skimp on but those are the big ticket items and make up the bulk of your pack weight. That doesn't include water filter, food storage, clothing, outerwear, footwear...

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I use an REI passage 2 that I bought on sale, and it has been fantastic. Easy set up and comes with a footprint. The amount of space inside a 2 is perfect for one person. Myself and all my gear fit very comfortably inside no problem.

Also big recommendation for picking up some cheap sit pad. Helped my knees out tremendously when I had to kneel down to fiddle with stuff or get inside the tent. Well worth a few bucks.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I've heard hiking in a kilt is great. Any opinions here?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I don't know what it offers that good running shorts don't. Those already feel like you're not wearing anything, even with liners.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't know what it offers that good running shorts don't. Those already feel like you're not wearing anything, even with liners.

Agreed. Kilts feel very gimmicky to me. They use a lot of material but don't provide any more coverage than a pair of shorts. Plus most running/trail shorts are very light, have pockets, and are made out of good technical materials that are light and breathable, plus they dry quickly.

I do see a lot of women opting for hiking skirts but most of those still have shorts underneath so I guess I'm not sure what the benefit is other than style. The idea of having free legs/groin seems appealing during periods of high activity but if you're still wearing shorts underneath, just wear good shorts in the first place.

I mostly wear Patagonia nine trail shorts and they're incredible. They're nice and light with a boxer brief liner. They're not even the lightest thing out there compared to true running shorts which feel practically invisible. The three zippered pockets are fantastic.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I'm a guy, so this is just speculation, but I would think skirt with the shorts allows for very form fitting thin shorts without putting everything on display. I know a lot of women (and men) are fine with wearing such shorts, but it's not for everyone.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Howdy folks. I’m not sure if there is a dedicated thread for flashlights but I figure you all might know what I’m looking for. I’d love to get a clip for my Streamlight Strion that I could put on a backpack strap so I don’t have to dig around for it when I want it. Solutions exist for that sort of thing but the brand seems popular with the “tactical” crowd so most of what I’m seeing are gun rail mounts or other things that would frankly make me look like a jackass.

Are there good universal options? The thing has an awesome little charging dock that I love and it’s a shame they don’t seem to offer a portable version.

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

Warbird posted:

Howdy folks. I’m not sure if there is a dedicated thread for flashlights but I figure you all might know what I’m looking for. I’d love to get a clip for my Streamlight Strion that I could put on a backpack strap so I don’t have to dig around for it when I want it. Solutions exist for that sort of thing but the brand seems popular with the “tactical” crowd so most of what I’m seeing are gun rail mounts or other things that would frankly make me look like a jackass.

Are there good universal options? The thing has an awesome little charging dock that I love and it’s a shame they don’t seem to offer a portable version.

I haven't seen anything like that but figured I'd throw some ideas at you (I hike/backpack with headlamps so I haven't thought too much about mounting a flash light) - wondering if you could DIY something to go on a backpack strap with something like this: https://www.zoro.com/streamlight-helmet-mount-black-use-wmfr-no-67750-68085/i/G5380352/.

You might also want to look at cycling lighting solutions. You'll probably find a lot of helmet-mounted options, but there might be something workable.

Edit: Maybe this? https://www.amazon.com/TwoFish-9-Lockblocks-Flashlight-Holder/dp/B001CJXB5E/ref=asc_df_B001CJXB5E/

Beezus fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 6, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That bike one is actually pretty close. I grabbed this off of Amazon to try out and it’s decent but is focused on being mounted on your belt and so on. Unfortunately I don’t wear belts that often but it mostly meets my needs.

https://a.co/d/5eDj9Vk

I don’t want to mount it so much as have it accessible easily if I want to get at it. The one I have here does a reasonable job at it. If I could swap out the clip for something I could tension down on a vertical strap it’d be about perfect.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Gossamer gear has some nice shoulder strap pouches I use to keep gear at hand.

https://www.gossamergear.com/products/shoulder-strap-pockets?rfsn=2106874.7c7a83

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That looks perfect, thank you!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Glad to hear! These are ungoogleable thanks to the surfeit of tacticool molle pack attachments, but it's been life changing for me since I bumped into someone with it on the trail.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
I use a Helikon chest pack often. Great counterbalance and makes things easy to access, and I find it extremely usefull when skiing. Think Hill People make one very similiar and comes in non tacticool colors.
https://www.helikon-tex.com/en_eur/tb-nmb-cd-chest-pack-numbat.html

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

COPE 27 posted:

Gossamer gear has some nice shoulder strap pouches I use to keep gear at hand.

https://www.gossamergear.com/products/shoulder-strap-pockets?rfsn=2106874.7c7a83

these types of should strap bags are great. when i got my current pack from ULA i made sure to get one and its great for a snack, sunglasses, and other stuff you want at the ready

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dick Ripple posted:

I use a Helikon chest pack often. Great counterbalance and makes things easy to access, and I find it extremely usefull when skiing. Think Hill People make one very similiar and comes in non tacticool colors.
https://www.helikon-tex.com/en_eur/tb-nmb-cd-chest-pack-numbat.html

Chest packs are great. I've been using one of the cheap Wynex ones from Amazon when I hike with my 1y/o in a child carrier backpack. It's black and slightly tacticool but I don't really give a poo poo - I've got diapers, wipes, and formula in it!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I had also tried hiking with a fanny pack previously and it was horrible.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

They're definitely tacti-cool but I love my old HPG Kit Bag: https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1

I wear mine in the winter when I'm pulling my pulk, or anytime I need some storage and I have the baby carrying backpack on. Sometimes even on quick day hikes I'll opt for it instead of Mountainsmith lumbar pack depending on how much I plan on carrying. Highly recommended!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but felt like enough of a match to try.

I'm travelling to Europe for a month in a couple of weeks (March 6, so start of spring?) and I plan on doing a lot of city walking; what are some good "city walking" pants? Or like, walking in general. :v:
I don't care about how they look, just that they're good for walking a bunch.

My first stop is London, so I'll probably buy them there if that matters.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but felt like enough of a match to try.

I'm travelling to Europe for a month in a couple of weeks (March 6, so start of spring?) and I plan on doing a lot of city walking; what are some good "city walking" pants? Or like, walking in general. :v:

I'd look at lists of best hiking pants at reputable sites (eg Switchback Travel, Clever Hiker, Outdoor Gear Lab) and prioritize lighter ones without a bunch of pockets (just for style, personally). Any hiking pants will probably work for you, but I wouldn't want to do city travel in something heavy duty.

From experience I can say that Prana Brion and Outdoor Research Ferrosi are both very good for both hiking and every day wear. However I'm shaped weird so I'm a bit more picky out pants and like to try them on first. I'm not sure if you have a particular reason to buy them during your trip, but I'd prefer to go to REI or something beforehand and try on a bunch of options.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My feeling is that underwear is more important than pants for walking, even if it's just around a city. Get rid of all cotton and consider stuff that fits close, to avoid chafing. Get some good socks too.

For the pants go for whatever's suitable for the temperatures.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Underwear definitely more important for chafe prevention and overall comfort.

Prana and Outlier for tech-y pants that don't look it (or retain odor like it), but they're not cheap.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I love my Prana Strech Zion for everything. Seconding the underwear angle as well. Ex Officio Give-N-Go is my preference by far, and I've tried a lot of synthetic hiking underwear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Levi’s, yo.