Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Drymax socks (not waterproof) have treated me well for trail running in all kinds of conditions for all kinds of distances. Just take em off and wring em out and they are dry again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

blista compact posted:

Spent the summer using the Exos series from Osprey. It's super dope. Around 2 lbs and can carry nearly 100 percent of pack weight on your hips. I felt very comfortable with 15-20 lbs in it, but I think it's rated to like 35lbs. Definitely a step up from the REI Flash pack I was using before that.

Re: trailrunner chat: everyone on the PCT uses the Brooks Cascadias, Altra Lone Peaks, or the La Sportiva Wildcats. Gotta be a reason for that...

I've heard pretty good things about the exos but I love my ULA

I used Innov8 trail runners on the JMT. lighter weight than a lot of others but it worked out well. Really comfy on the feet

If I were doing a lot of peak bagging on talus and scree I'd look for the most comfy approach shoes I could. The sticky rubber is fantastic but the ones I've used aren't as comfortable as trail runners

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My 130L external frame pack is great and has lasted 20 years now.

Crocs are a good camp shoe idea, thanks.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Are Darn Tough socks darn tough?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Thoren posted:

Umm is this a joke post? It says so right in their name :confused:

they really are. They're my favorite sock, also they replace them for free when they wear through! I'm slowly replacing my entire sock fleet with darn tough as my smartwool socks wear out.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Thoren posted:

They're the best socks.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I keep adding 2 or 3 things to my Amazon wishlist every day because of this drat thread. :negative:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

mastershakeman posted:

My 130L external frame pack is great and has lasted 20 years now.
I can see why you prefer boots over trail runners.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006
whats a fyad :(

Levitate posted:

I've heard pretty good things about the exos but I love my ULA

Oh yeah, I was totally in the minority with the Exos. 50 percent or more of people had the ULA circuit and some were even downsizing to the OHM (incredible pack btw).

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Going on a three-day hike in the Brecon Beacons on Friday, and I've just remembered that the waterproofing is shot on my boots. Anyone have any re-waterproofing products they'd recommend? I stupidly wore them sailing a few years back and they just don't hold out the moisture anymore, which is a problem in Brecon (mostly pretty swampy).

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I have some darn tough socks that stretched a bit around the cuff after getting wet during a trip, that was annoying. They eventually kind of got back into shape and I might use them on my next trip though. They're a bit thick but with trail runners that's not as big a deal. I used some Stoic merino socks on the JMT and they survived but did wear thin around the heels. They're incredibly comfortable socks in general but not the most durable

blista compact posted:

Oh yeah, I was totally in the minority with the Exos. 50 percent or more of people had the ULA circuit and some were even downsizing to the OHM (incredible pack btw).

There was a guy using an Exos on the JMT last year who resupplied at Muir Trail Ranch at the same time as me and he was at like 55 lbs resupplied and feeling miserable about it :v:

If I was light enough to keep my weight at 25 lbs for a week long trip I'd probably downsize to the OHM but at just under 30 lbs for a week the Circuit carries wonderfully and the hipbelt pockets rule.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Would a trail runner, something like the Brooks Cascadia, be recommended for a 10+ mile hike up and down mountains, and/or for the AT? I know they're highly used on the PCT, but I don't know if that's mostly for flat hiking or not.

I'm bad at shoes.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

El Grillo posted:

Going on a three-day hike in the Brecon Beacons on Friday, and I've just remembered that the waterproofing is shot on my boots. Anyone have any re-waterproofing products they'd recommend? I stupidly wore them sailing a few years back and they just don't hold out the moisture anymore, which is a problem in Brecon (mostly pretty swampy).

I always use Sno-Seal, it's a beeswax based salve that works great on leather. Haven't experimented much with other products, tried a spray once that was okay, because Sno-Seal has always done the trick.

Sock Chat: we got some sock liners from REI that we wear under our thick wool long distance socks. Thought it might be a gimmick but they're really nice to have, they suck away the sweat so your feet feel dry inside the shoe. Rinse at night, hang up, and in the morning they're ready to go. Feels rather nice to have a fresh-ish liner to put on your feet when the wool starts to get crunchy.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Levitate posted:

There was a guy using an Exos on the JMT last year who resupplied at Muir Trail Ranch at the same time as me and he was at like 55 lbs resupplied and feeling miserable about it :v:

If I was light enough to keep my weight at 25 lbs for a week long trip I'd probably downsize to the OHM but at just under 30 lbs for a week the Circuit carries wonderfully and the hipbelt pockets rule.
about 35 pounds is the most I've ever had in my Exos 58 without getting mad at it.

Darn Tough socks are.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

Would a trail runner, something like the Brooks Cascadia, be recommended for a 10+ mile hike up and down mountains, and/or for the AT? I know they're highly used on the PCT, but I don't know if that's mostly for flat hiking or not.

I'm bad at shoes.

Trail runners are great for hiking in the northeast. I have done some sections of the AT, and in my experience it is pretty easygoing until you get to NH and ME. Even in those areas, I would use trail runners unless it was very cold out. Right now there is still ~2 ft of snow in NH, but the trail is packed well enough that sneakers are perfectly usable if you use microspikes.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Koivunen posted:

I always use Sno-Seal, it's a beeswax based salve that works great on leather. Haven't experimented much with other products, tried a spray once that was okay, because Sno-Seal has always done the trick.

Sock Chat: we got some sock liners from REI that we wear under our thick wool long distance socks. Thought it might be a gimmick but they're really nice to have, they suck away the sweat so your feet feel dry inside the shoe. Rinse at night, hang up, and in the morning they're ready to go. Feels rather nice to have a fresh-ish liner to put on your feet when the wool starts to get crunchy.

I've always heard of sno-seal being the recommended one, though I've never needed any on my boots.

Thin nylon liner sock + wool outer socks are awesome. I almost never get blisters wearing that combo.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

turevidar posted:

Trail runners are great for hiking in the northeast. I have sone some sections of the AT, and in my experience it is pretty easygoing until you get to NH and ME. Even in those areas, I would use trail runners unless it was very cold out. Right now there is still ~2 ft of snow in NH, but the trail is packed well enough that sneakers are perfectly usable.

My neck of the AT is North Carolina, so more the southeast :)

Either way, as long as they're grippy, I think they'd be okay for the hiking I do.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

blista compact posted:

Re: trailrunner chat: everyone on the PCT uses the Brooks Cascadias, Altra Lone Peaks, or the La Sportiva Wildcats. Gotta be a reason for that...

I'd venture to guess those specific runners are the shoe of choice because the PCT is so long, and only WA/OR is all that wet, so a more protected/durable/reliable upper would make more sense to bring than a quick drainer. Yeah I'd go for a runner on the more maximalist side on a super long hike like that, but if I'm just using them for dayhikes and short backpacks I'm not too worried about the minimalist type catastrophically failing.

A Kpro posted:

As it would turn out Idaho is full of massive scree fields on all the major peaks. The ones that aren't scree are scrambles on rocky terrain. Actually looking back on all the ones I've climbed the last couple of years, trailrunners would have sufficed on a bunch of them. Still, my last pair of boots was well worth it and took an awful lot of abuse.

I don't get too much of that in WA so I never really base my shoe choice around scree, but I personally find trailrunners to have an advantage over boots in a scramble. Would venture to guess for you it would be a tradeoff between better at scrambles, and better at crossing scree fields. Would recommend a runner with a more padded upper like the ones in the quote up there to you ^^^ so you don't feel every rock that hits your foot, and going with thick wool socks (rei, costco brand) vs thin ones (darn tough) and sizing accordingly. also gaiters like the ones linked last page, if you ever feel like giving runners a shot. Not going to lie I would probably wear a boot on that 3 seasons and use runners only during the summer for that poo poo though.

COOL CORN posted:

I'm bad at shoes.

Pack weight under ~20lbs? Have decent amounts of muscle development in your ankles? Should be zero issues, if anything runners are preferrable for ascent stuff because your feet aren't as heavy. Descent, boots have the advantage (weight doesn't matter as much, no ankle rolls) but ascent is usually the hard part. Traction is the same or better than a boot with decent runners; not all treads are made the same, but Brooks Cascadia is a good one. I'd recommend bringing trekking poles while you're first getting used to them?

Thoren posted:

Yes, they also warranty pretty much everything including wear and tear so while it's a $30 sock it's a $30 sock that will last you a lifetime. I don't use them because I'm into thick socks + runners, but don't get me wrong I'm envious of the thin sock crowd among whom these are The Sock.

quote:

how about those internal vs external frame packs???

External is making a comeback now that there are ultralight material/design externals coming out. For me it's frameless under 20lb for long distances, internal frame for >20lb long distance, and internal frame + trekking poles for dayhikes and 1days where I'm not fastpacking because comfort and saving your back >>>>> weight sperging.

If you have back problems, internal frame and trekking poles 100% of the way, having all the weight shifted to your hips/arms is way more important than like 2 pounds.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 15, 2015

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

I'd venture to guess those specific runners are the shoe of choice because the PCT is so long, and only WA/OR is all that wet, so a more protected/durable/reliable upper would make more sense to bring than a quick drainer. Yeah I'd go for a runner on the more maximalist side on a super long hike like that, but if I'm just using them for dayhikes and short backpacks I'm not too worried about the minimalist type catastrophically failing.

Yeah, that and those shoes last about 400-600 miles so anything less durable and you're looking at a new pair of shoes like every 3rd resupply.

Darn tough socks are insane. You can get them for sub 15 dollars if you look in the right places online.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

blista compact posted:

Yeah, that and those shoes last about 400-600 miles so anything less durable and you're looking at a new pair of shoes like every 3rd resupply.

Darn tough socks are insane. You can get them for sub 15 dollars if you look in the right places online.

I've gotten similar-to-more durability out of some of the newer minimalist type runners, but reliability's one of those things where you always want to go with the tried and true option even though a better shoe might be available. So it always takes a few years for new tech stuff to find its way on the bigger hikes. A new shoe design could come out and change everything and be the best thing since sliced bread, but you won't see it hit people's PCT lists until they've used that shoe for a year or two.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Yes, they also warranty pretty much everything including wear and tear so while it's a $30 sock it's a $30 sock that will last you a lifetime. I don't use them because I'm into thick socks + runners, but don't get me wrong I'm envious of the thin sock crowd among whom these are The Sock.

Their full cushion (or "Extra" for more!) socks are somewhat thick, and has the same thickness throughout the whole sock, compared to lighter cushion versions of their socks, where the cushion is only in certain areas (sides/bottom of the foot, and then thinner and stretchier on the top). They have socks in six different cushion levels - I haven't tried the ultralights but have a pair of full cushion (nice sleepin' socks) and regular cushion for hiking as they're a little lighter weight.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

dedian posted:

Their full cushion (or "Extra" for more!) socks are somewhat thick, and has the same thickness throughout the whole sock, compared to lighter cushion versions of their socks, where the cushion is only in certain areas (sides/bottom of the foot, and then thinner and stretchier on the top). They have socks in six different cushion levels - I haven't tried the ultralights but have a pair of full cushion (nice sleepin' socks) and regular cushion for hiking as they're a little lighter weight.

I just wish they made toe socks. I want Darn Tough quality with Injinji toes and I would pay $20 a pair.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

I've gotten similar-to-more durability out of some of the newer minimalist type runners, but reliability's one of those things where you always want to go with the tried and true option even though a better shoe might be available. So it always takes a few years for new tech stuff to find its way on the bigger hikes. A new shoe design could come out and change everything and be the best thing since sliced bread, but you won't see it hit people's PCT lists until they've used that shoe for a year or two.

I'd disagree. People are always out to find the best replacement for their gear when they're in a big resupply town. I switched shoes 3/4 of the way through because I needed some more cushion. People switched out pads, tents, backpacks. I think people just gravitate to those choices (especially the Cascadias) because they work the best for long distance hiking.
Durability really is huge.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Word of mouth is huge I think. The communities for through hiking are really big on information exchange and when something becomes "the best thing" that's what gets recommended. Of course it usually needs to be good in the first place.

If darn tough made a 1/4 cuff light cushion that'd be the bees knees

E: oh god they do they're just listed under running socks. Need to try some out

Levitate fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 15, 2015

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

blista compact posted:

Levitate posted:

Speaking of packs, now that I have the rest of my Big 3 sorted (Neo X-Therm pad, Hammock Gear 40 degree quilt, etc), I'm trying to figure out what to carry it all in. The array of choices, even when sticking to a sub 2.5 pound, 40-50 litre pack is kind of overwhelming. It seems like there are a lot of great options, but the difficulty lies in many of them being cottage industry bags that I can't try out in stores (ULA, Gossamer Gear, Zpacks, etc) and the unique shape of people's bodies making a big difference.

Since my first set of gear I'm putting together now is fairly light weight and I'm shooting for a low, but affordable base weight, it seems like some of the best options are ULA Circuit/Ohm, Gossamer Gear Gorilla/Mariposa, or Zpacks Arc Blast. I doubt I would every carry more than 30 pounds, I'd like it to be durable but light, with the ability to hold a bear can as I'll be doing a lot of my trips in the Sierras. Is it crazy to order a few and then return all but the one I like the best?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I've wanted to get a pair of light shoes like trailrunners (or equivalent), but I hike in the Whites, which means lots of rock. Lots of wet rock. I tried a pair (can't recall the brand) on one trip and ate poo poo three or four times on a descent I could handle pretty well in my boots, and since then I've had a pretty hefty fear of replacing my lovely, heavy, torn up boots that don't cause me to fall down mountains. I'm sure the problem is just my particular shoe selection, so does anyone have recommendations for something which will hit that balance of durable and comfortable over many miles of pointy rock, but still have reasonable traction for a clumsy fucker on wet rock? My wife has a pair of Merrill Moabs that work great, but I'd like something lighter and more trail-runner-y.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah go for it. Might have to pay return shipping but it's really the only way to try out some stuff.

I kind of feel like gossamer gear is kind of like the mainstream big market type of lightweight equipment but some people like their stuff.

ULA is heavier but more bombproof I think.

Any of them will be great for the Sierra. Got any trips planned?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I've wanted to get a pair of light shoes like trailrunners (or equivalent), but I hike in the Whites, which means lots of rock. Lots of wet rock. I tried a pair (can't recall the brand) on one trip and ate poo poo three or four times on a descent I could handle pretty well in my boots, and since then I've had a pretty hefty fear of replacing my lovely, heavy, torn up boots that don't cause me to fall down mountains. I'm sure the problem is just my particular shoe selection, so does anyone have recommendations for something which will hit that balance of durable and comfortable over many miles of pointy rock, but still have reasonable traction for a clumsy fucker on wet rock? My wife has a pair of Merrill Moabs that work great, but I'd like something lighter and more trail-runner-y.

Your problem is with the tread. It sounds like you want an approach shoe with good cushion and some regular tread. Try the Salewa Mountain Trainer, Wildfire, or Firetail.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I have used a pair of Inov8 rocklites in the Catskills, Adirondacks, and a single trip to the Whites - plenty of wet rock and mud. I love them and will almost certainly buy another pair when I wear these out. The tread is super knobbly, they're really light, and they dry out quickly.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Levitate posted:

Yeah go for it. Might have to pay return shipping but it's really the only way to try out some stuff.

I kind of feel like gossamer gear is kind of like the mainstream big market type of lightweight equipment but some people like their stuff.

ULA is heavier but more bombproof I think.

Any of them will be great for the Sierra. Got any trips planned?
I'll be up in the Soda Springs/Donner Pass area the first weekend of May to test out my gear (time to see if a 40 degree quilt will work at 6k feet in early May!) and then someone is planning a late July trip up one of the High Sierra passes and then down the JMT to Yosemite. Pretty excited.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The sticky rubber that approach shoes use is going to be by far the best thing for use on rock of really any kind when you're looking for traction. Boots and trailrunners aren't gonna be close, that poo poo is made specifically for gripping rock and is fantastic. That's what approach shoes are made for

turevidar posted:

I have used a pair of Inov8 rocklites in the Catskills, Adirondacks, and a single trip to the Whites - plenty of wet rock and mud. I love them and will almost certainly buy another pair when I wear these out. The tread is super knobbly, they're really light, and they dry out quickly.

I used last years model of these things n the JMT and like them. I hear this years has a softer rubber that grips better which is good cuz that was the one drawback to the ones I have, they aren't great at gripping rock

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Funny you mention hiking in the Whites. One of my favorite hiking blogs is Section Hiker and he raves about hiking in La Sportiva Ultra Raptor trail runners.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

This might be a dumb question, but when you travel with a group, does everyone bring everything? It seems redundant for everyone to have a stove, a medical kit, water filtration, etc. Maybe this is one of the cardinal rules of backpacking and I'm exposing myself as a noob by asking :ohdear:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

cheese posted:

This might be a dumb question, but when you travel with a group, does everyone bring everything? It seems redundant for everyone to have a stove, a medical kit, water filtration, etc. Maybe this is one of the cardinal rules of backpacking and I'm exposing myself as a noob by asking :ohdear:

My wife and I split gear, but each carries a small first aid kit and some food just in case. I understand that's probably overdoing it but I'm cautious.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

cheese posted:

If you're able to split things up, then it's generally a good idea. Typically you'll see those three items in particular be divided up amongst the group to save on weight. Often this will also extend to tents and other camp supplies, or even food and water (particularly if group meals are planned). That said, it takes coordination and trust to do this sort of thing, so it depends on the group. At bare minimum, everyone should have the gear they'd need if they were separated from the group - some basic food and water, and the equipment they'd need to ride out a night in poor weather. That might just be a couple trail bars, a water bottle, and a warm jacket, or it might be much more. Spreading out supplies and having some redundancy will often be worth a bit of extra weight, but it's a personal call. I've been on treks where everything was tightly organized, and trips where everyone just carried whatever they were planning on using. The conversations before a regimented trip can be rather daunting, but they also can take 5-10 pounds of unneeded supplies out of your pack.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 16, 2015

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

cheese posted:

How much do you trust the person who says they are bringing their stove to a) bring it, and b) remember to bring fuel for it? Stuff happens, groups split, people bail, and having a backup never hurt anyone.

A cold dinner is one thing, but I wouldn't rely on anyone else's water treatment or medical kit though, you should bring some spare water tabs and a few basic supplies.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Tigren posted:

I just wish they made toe socks. I want Darn Tough quality with Injinji toes and I would pay $20 a pair.

God yes.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Discomancer posted:

How much do you trust the person who says they are bringing their stove to a) bring it, and b) remember to bring fuel for it? Stuff happens, groups split, people bail, and having a backup never hurt anyone.

A cold dinner is one thing, but I wouldn't rely on anyone else's water treatment or medical kit though, you should bring some spare water tabs and a few basic supplies.

If your friends can't be relied upon to show up the day of a trip and or remember to pack important items then you probably shouldn't be hiking with them. No offense but clear communication is important and if this is an actual issue with someone, trusting your life to them in a lovely situation in the backcountry seems like a bad idea. I have to fly to all my backpacking trips so last minute flakes are not likely to happen as airfare and plans are made far in advance and require more commitment than a weekend trip. We go over whose bringing what and if duplicate items are needed. We go over a meal plan and get groceries and supplies like fuel at our destination. If someone flakes out then you have time to reassess the situation and acquire gear.

Also if you fly to your destination then you can't bring fuel with you on the plane and have to buy it at your destination. I personally keep a spreadsheet of gear that gets updated after every trip. You can keep track of whose bringing what etc. It makes packing very easy and it

Items like stoves and tents are often shared and there's no reason everyone needs to bring their own. That's space and weight that can be saved or used for food, water you name it. Everyone should have a first aid kit. In my opinion it's irresponsible not to. What if someone loses their pack or it gets destroyed? What if you all get separated? Everyone might have different medical needs (asthma, allergies, bee sings, diabetes, migraines etc) so your first aid kit should be catered to your needs. It doesn't have to be huge and someone can have a bigger kit but I feel everyone should have something even if it's small.

I bring a group water filter but keep aqua Mira tabs in my first aid kit just in case. I feel that water purifying tabs are so small that they should be in your first aid even if you have a filter.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I know Osprey discontinued the Momentum 34 but does the Momentum 30 still have that gap in between the laptop compartment and back panel that allows you to store a hydration bladder? And are the zippered side pockets big enough now to accommodate a Nalgene Silo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I feel very lucky that I haven't really had to deal with not knowing whether I could trust a backpacking buddy or not. I've been in three situations: solo, packing with an equally competent person who I live with so we evenly distribute everything together (husband), or going with complete noobs who I know shouldn't be responsible for anything important so I basically act as their hired guide and take care of all that poo poo myself. There was a couple of occasions through school where I went with others, but if they forgot anything it would cost them grades so everyone was on the ball with what they were responsible for.

I totally agree that every single person should have their own first aid kit though. To me, it's on level with toiletries and clothes. Personal and important.