Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm trying to decide on insulation for my Hennessy Hammock. I've decided that since I'll be setting it up/taking it down every day that speed and efficiency are key (e.g. an extra 2 minutes a day times 5 months equal 4 MILLION hours).

So that means keeping the tarp and hammock together in the same snake skin for quick set up and take down. My two options for insulation right now are the insulation system developed by Hennessy (https://hennessyhammock.com/products/supershelter-4-season-insulation-system-1-zip) and the Potomac UQ (http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/p308/Potomac_UnderQuilt.html),

The Hennessy has the bonus of the undercover being clipped to the hammock permanently, which means it can be rolled up in the snake skin. The down side is that the foam pad has to be removed and might take up a lot of space. But they also have the Radiant Pad which is good for 5c that goes inside the hammock, and is only $30.

The Potomac has to be set up separately but clips on in seconds and the reviews are fantastic. It looks a bit bulky though.

The consensus is pads suck and UQs are the way to go. But which one? And maybe it won't even get that cold on the AT and I could just get away with that Radiant pad and a nice sleeping bag?

Goddammit Leeroy.

Get an UQ. I like the DD Underblanket, will keep you comfy down to freezing point unless you're a cold sleeper, is fairly inexpensive and doesn't weigh a ton. For TQ I use the Snugpak one with the flaps you tuck under yourself. Really nice and affordable piece.

As far as setup/teardown: Get a compression sack you can comfortably shove hammock, UQ and TQ into. Cut a small hole in the bottom to feed one of the lines through. Do so. When you want to pack it up, just disconnect one end and roll/shove the whole mess into the compression sack, close it off, and compress the poo poo out of it with the straps. When you want to setup, just attach the end sticking out, release the straps, open bag and pull other end out. Quick and easy and you have the TQ ready inside the hammock and the UQ already attached. If the tarp's dry you can stuff it in there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That's a great idea about the stuff sack combo. I'll give that a go, thanks!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

They're called bishop bags. You can buy them like that if DIY isn't your game.

Picnic Princess posted:

The Canadian Federal Government just approved a pipeline through Jasper National Park and Mt. Robson Provincial Park. I am so angry I have no more words to say right now.

Meet the new government, same as the old government :smith:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Yeah, the Liberals are basically the CPC except that they actually seem to like minorities.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Went on a bishop bag hunt and found SLUG TUBES - http://wildernesslogics.com/THE-LAZY-SLUG-TUBE-Lazy-Slug.htm

They can hold my UQ, hammock and sleeping bag, and according to some take less space than packing them separately. Seems like a good idea!

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have field experience with alcohol stoves? I've been reading way too much DIY gear stuff and decided to make a quick cat food can version (http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/fancee-feest.php).

I hammered it out in like half an hour and got it lit with some isopropyl alcohol, and ~1/3 of a shot glass boiled a pint of water in a few minutes on a cold night and no wind screen.

The concept is so simple and elegant that I want to take it out for overnight, but I'm worried about reliability and ease of use. I understand that its limited to boiling water and whatnot, but I'm fine with that.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I have a Trangia alcohol stove and I quite like it. I always make simple, fast-cooking meals so it works perfectly for that. From what I understand, they become significantly less efficient when the temperature outside is colder, so they're not ideal for winter cooking. But I make pasta, minute rice, oatmeal, etc with mine and have never had any problems, everything cooked quite fast. I love how lightweight they are, and not needing a metal canister and hose for gas is great. Any leftover alcohol in the stove can be poured back into its plastic bottle for use later. We have a big jug of alcohol under the sink that we refill our bottle with before every trip.

We've also experimented with constructing beer can stoves and what the best perforation pattern is for cooking and boiling water, and hilariously ended up using them when our power was cut for a day to add warm water to our tropical fish tank to keep them from being too cold.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
People use them for thru hikes so the reliability is fine if you're used to using it

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I went through a phase last winter where I was obsessed with making little alcohol stoves.

All of the homemade ones require a pretty wide pot to work effectively, which for me defeated the purpose, which was space saving. I found that the penny-stove seem to be more fuel-efficient than a cat food though.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I looked at alcohol stoves (along with a cool wood burner that also charges your phone). Isn't the alcohol you have to carry pretty heavy though? Compared to a canister?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

You can carry a more exact amount and in a lighter container, but I don't know exactly how all the weight works out

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Here are some helpful comparisons of fuel weights.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

Went on a bishop bag hunt and found SLUG TUBES - http://wildernesslogics.com/THE-LAZY-SLUG-TUBE-Lazy-Slug.htm

They can hold my UQ, hammock and sleeping bag, and according to some take less space than packing them separately. Seems like a good idea!

They basically look like oversized snake skins. Should work great, though I prefer to be able to compress things with the bag.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

I looked at alcohol stoves (along with a cool wood burner that also charges your phone). Isn't the alcohol you have to carry pretty heavy though? Compared to a canister?

Somebody else posted about fuel weights, but wanted to mention that if you use gas canisters then you always end up facing the issue where you have one that is half-ish full and you really want to use it up but it miiiiiight not be quite enough so you grab a new one and the next time you have the same problem times two... and if you bring two then you have two canisters to lug around both size and weight wise. Been using gas on and off but I kind of prefer the alcohol stove setup since it's so basic and simple and you can just top the bottle you're bringing off before heading out if you are worried about running out.

Have a Trangia 25 (I think it's called, the bigger one) as well as a Mini. The Mini is not very good with wind, but any super cheap and simple wind shield will make it boil stuff faster than the regular Trangia.

ronaldreagan
Mar 25, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

you always end up facing the issue where you have one that is half-ish full and you really want to use it up but it miiiiiight not be quite enough so you grab a new one and the next time you have the same problem times two... and if you bring two then you have two canisters to lug around both size and weight wise.

Yes - this is a pain in the rear end. I end up using them up when car camping but it's still annoying.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The pro move is to use Everclear as your fuel so you can just drink any excess. And I am also in the camp who would agonize over how full my gas bottle was and likely freak out and carry a second one.

Change of topic, the idea of shoving the hammock and both quilts into a single sack is amazing. I wanted to buy a quilt set on BF but fishing gear won out. I am done trying new workarounds and freezing my rear end off, so it's quilts or bust at this point. I do have a question though; assuming I want to use the top quilt year-round, would it be reasonable to buy like a 0f under-quilt but like a 40f top-quilt? It rarely gets below 20f here and I don't see myself camping in such low temps often. I am worried about being cold though, last trip I was in a 20f bag on top of a inflatable pad and I froze when it hit like 40f at night. It was pretty windy but still.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
i don't take a stove i just eat m&ms

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

I do have a question though; assuming I want to use the top quilt year-round, would it be reasonable to buy like a 0f under-quilt but like a 40f top-quilt? It rarely gets below 20f here and I don't see myself camping in such low temps often. I am worried about being cold though, last trip I was in a 20f bag on top of a inflatable pad and I froze when it hit like 40f at night. It was pretty windy but still.

Self quoting, but

Guest2553 posted:

I just got a down underquilt this month and personally love it, it's amazing how much of a difference it made. I originally avoided it due to cost but ended up throwing more money away overall after messing around with a couple homemade pads and synthetic quilts that all sucked. The advice I heard and will echo is that unless you're Scrooge McDuck and money is no option, 20 degrees is the sweet spot for quilts. You can loosen it for warmer temperatures, layer for colder, and the weight penalty either way is marginal since it's all lightweight anyways. Appropriate clothing and tarp hanging can also buy another 15-20 degrees.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've done a ton of research for my thru-hike and concur that 20 degrees is the consensus unless you're planning to camp in super cold climates. Look at the Enlightened Equipment Revelation bag, it's got fantastic reviews and is one of the cheaper options (lol at $260 being cheap but you get what you pay for, and it should last you for years).

I figure I'll be sleeping in this drat hammock for 4+ months, and I will REALLY regret it if I skimp and use a pad instead of an under quilt, or a huge heavy bag instead of a light down one. That's why I've been obsessed with figuring out a perfect system with regards to take down/setup and weight. I think these slug tubes are the last piece of the puzzle. I should be able to put the UQ/hammock/sleeping bag in there, and shove it in the bottom of my pack, saving me a lot of time. I've decided to forego carabiners and whoopie slings and just use lashings like Hennessy Hammocks recommend to set up.

This is all new to me because I have never used a hammock before, and since I'm not in America I cannot even try all this out, I've gotten everything delivered to a friend and I'll have to try it out in the field. Here's hoping it all works out!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I feel like committing to hammocking a thru hike before trying it out regularly is a disaster in waiting. Are you sure it's right for you? I enjoy hammocking. I enjoy camping. I don't think I'd enjoy hammock camping.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

George H.W. oval office posted:

I feel like committing to hammocking a thru hike before trying it out regularly is a disaster in waiting. Are you sure it's right for you? I enjoy hammocking. I enjoy camping. I don't think I'd enjoy hammock camping.

Srsly. At least go a bit early if you can and do a some overnight camps in a backyard or park. I was surprised how much I learned about pretty mundane but important things like how to quickly pack/unpack, where to stash things like shoes and water bottles while sleeping, dialing in suspension (I didn't figure this one out until like my 6th or 7th overnight), getting the right distance between your tarp and hammock, what changes in the rain, etc. Tent camping/fieldcraft experience was kinda-sorta applicable, mostly the how to cook/layer/not die in the woods, but hammock related qweep can be pretty different.

e. That said, if time and money aren't issues you can hammer that poo poo out on the trail. Something like a third of the AT thru-hikers have very limited experience, so I don't doubt you can finish it, but gear familiarity is (imo) a pretty big QOL thing.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 2, 2016

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I get what you're saying, but sadly this is the way it has to be. I decided on hammocks after reading a few books by people who had used them or switched to them on the AT, and their incredibly positive experiences swayed me. Because I don't live in America/job/life this is the only way I can do this. It's definitely not ideal, but I'll be as prepared as I can be. I'm planning on finishing my first day early so I can really take my time setting it all up.

Right now I'm watching Tom Hennessy set up his hammock AGAIN for like the 12th time. I've done so many hours of research I should be OK, plus I've done a lot of camping and backpacking before. And like you say, there's plenty of stores and help available on the trail in a worst case scenario. I'll let you know how it goes when I'm out there.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Why can't you buy the stuff you need where you live and fly over with the gear? You're setting yourself up for comedy at best and misery at worst. What gear are you currently using for backpacking? Why can't you bring that? I find that sleeping in a tent / hard ground only really sucks for the first day or two. I have never done any hammock stuff (I tend toward car/raft supported camping these days). I'm sure it's great for some people / situations but I'd want to be darn sure I liked it before committing to months of it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I have no backpacking gear right now. Hong Kong is expensive as hell to buy camping gear, and America makes all the best/cheapest stuff. I could have spent $$$ getting it shipped over here only to take it all back to America, but that's a massive waste of money.

I don't mind sleeping in tents of course, but you never really get a great night's sleep and the ground is hard, plus you have to search for a good spot with no lumps/rocks. With a hammock you can set up anywhere in a forest, and quick too.

Worst case scenario, if I really really hated hammocking, I'd buy a tent on the trail and send the hammock stuff back to my friend and sell it later.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I actually kind of hate camping, or rather I hate sleeping and waking up in anything but perfect comfort. Even lovely motels kind of get me down.

I used to work as a stagehand and it's very common to bring a simple hammock along to outdoor shows so you can set it up under the stage and sleep. I find a hammock, in ideal weather conditions in any case, to be as comfortable as a crappy motel mattress.

I've also spent a lot of time sleeping on hard hotel floors when the stage was not high enough to hang a hammock, and it took an incredible amount of padding underneath me to feel even remotely comfortable.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

I get what you're saying, but sadly this is the way it has to be. I decided on hammocks after reading a few books by people who had used them or switched to them on the AT, and their incredibly positive experiences swayed me. Because I don't live in America/job/life this is the only way I can do this. It's definitely not ideal, but I'll be as prepared as I can be. I'm planning on finishing my first day early so I can really take my time setting it all up.

Right now I'm watching Tom Hennessy set up his hammock AGAIN for like the 12th time. I've done so many hours of research I should be OK, plus I've done a lot of camping and backpacking before. And like you say, there's plenty of stores and help available on the trail in a worst case scenario. I'll let you know how it goes when I'm out there.

Have you read this thread?: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480

Please read it.

You're obviously smarter than that guy, but there's a reason people keep acting concerned.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I'm not so concerned about first hammock, but brand new pack and no recent backpacking has me wondering a bit...

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I don't think you're as bad off as the hike-across-america dude. The trail is pretty clearly defined and well traveled, you'll be at or near a built up area every few days, and you have camping experience. It's not ideal to be unfamiliar with your gear, sure, but if you're as experienced as you say you are then all it'll likely do is make the process rougher than it needs to be at the beginning. Hell, there've been dudes who completed the AT without bringing any of their own gear, they just used discarded items from hiker's boxes. If you know what you're doing then equipment is going to be secondary to knowledge imo.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Alan_Shore posted:

I have no backpacking gear right now. Hong Kong is expensive as hell to buy camping gear, and America makes all the best/cheapest stuff. I could have spent $$$ getting it shipped over here only to take it all back to America, but that's a massive waste of money.

I don't mind sleeping in tents of course, but you never really get a great night's sleep and the ground is hard, plus you have to search for a good spot with no lumps/rocks. With a hammock you can set up anywhere in a forest, and quick too.

Worst case scenario, if I really really hated hammocking, I'd buy a tent on the trail and send the hammock stuff back to my friend and sell it later.

I dunno I felt like I was sleeping pretty well after a few days on the JMT. If you're doing a thru hike I think most people get used to pretty much anything after several weeks/months.

Watching someone set things up isn't the same as doing it yourself, but honestly you'll probably be OK

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I'm not so concerned about first hammock, but brand new pack and no recent backpacking has me wondering a bit...

Yeah that's probably the bigger concern. New gear that isn't broken in and you're unfamiliar with is kind of asking for trouble, but at least the AT is fairly easy to switch gear on if you need to.

If you really do know your poo poo when it comes to backpacking and aren't getting in over your head, you'll probably be fine. If "backpacking" means hiking for a couple of miles and then staying at a campground then you might be setting yourself up for some trouble.

e: gently caress me I wish I could setup some big backpacking trips for next year... :smith:

I might swing a trip with my dad in the Grand Canyon but not sure that'll happen...also hope to swing a 4 day trip or so in Idaho. Other than that maybe just some camping with the new kiddo.

Also need to wash my quilt but I don't have a bath tub...

Levitate fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 2, 2016

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Have you read this thread?: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480

Please read it.

You're obviously smarter than that guy, but there's a reason people keep acting concerned.

:magical:

That loving CART

That was a magical read, thank you!

Guest2553 posted:

I don't think you're as bad off as the hike-across-america dude. The trail is pretty clearly defined and well traveled, you'll be at or near a built up area every few days, and you have camping experience. It's not ideal to be unfamiliar with your gear, sure, but if you're as experienced as you say you are then all it'll likely do is make the process rougher than it needs to be at the beginning. Hell, there've been dudes who completed the AT without bringing any of their own gear, they just used discarded items from hiker's boxes. If you know what you're doing then equipment is going to be secondary to knowledge imo.

Yeah, the AT is pretty "easy" in terms of long distance hikes. Well marked, lots of shops and towns, a big helpful community. Not bringing ANY gear sounds absolutely bonkers though!

It would be ideal to get to familiar with my gear first, and I might be able to, it depends on my friend putting me up for a few days. I'll be staying at the Hiker's Hostel in Gainesville the night before, and they have a shop and will be able to help with any problems I have. I'm familiar with the clothes, backpack, filter, cooking etc. The only real unknown is the hammock, which is a pretty big deal. That's why I'm doing SO much research on it.

I feel like I'll be in pretty good shape. I'll have enough food to start, I'll check all my gear works, my pack weight is super low, I'll go slow the first few days with low mileage, and I'll stop early on the first day to really get familiar with dat hammock. Plus I've been reading and researching about the AT for years. Thanks for all the concern and tips though!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm familiar with the clothes, backpack, filter, cooking etc.

What exactly does familiar mean? When I look at your post history you ask pretty basic questions about using a filter and using a stove. I honestly could care less about how prepared you are for the trip, but if you want to be successful you might want to do a few multi night trips prior to it so you don't totally hate life the first few weeks.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I test my gear before doing anything more serious. I guess it is harder in a big city, but in Finland there are no big cities so you can try out your gear pretty much anywhere.

That way you can find out what works and what not. At least test your shoes and backpack. Otherwise you can get by...

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

n8r posted:

What exactly does familiar mean? When I look at your post history you ask pretty basic questions about using a filter and using a stove. I honestly could care less about how prepared you are for the trip, but if you want to be successful you might want to do a few multi night trips prior to it so you don't totally hate life the first few weeks.

Well, first if all it's "couldn't care less" ;)

Familiar as in owned a lot of similar equipment before. For example I owned an amazing Gregory Z55 when I backpacked through India. I had a water filter there too (kinda needed it), similar to the Sawyer. And a Platypus 2L bladder. Also used lots of different small stoves like the MSR Pocket Rocket but never the Jetboil. I'm basically interested in comparisons, and advice! Just research, you know?

I totally agree that a few multi nights would be perfect and sensible but sadly it's not feasible.

I will definitely wear my shoes in first. I'll get the same ones I had in India, Merrell Moab Ventilators. Very comfy and light, and incredibly durable. Just ordered 2 pairs of Ex Officio (best underwear ever) and Darn Tough socks.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
So, is there like a good online resource for looking up trails and such? I would like to plan a few 3-4 night trips in the coming year but I am fussy and would love to be able to like sort a list by "mostly follows a river" or something. I live in the mid atlantic and the part of the AT around here I have seen are not super interesting to me and other than just clicking around google maps looking for parks, then searching for trail maps, I haven't found a really good way to find new places.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I always use a combo of physical Nat Geo maps and openstreemap.org. Sometimes I'll check atlantatrails.com and georgiatrails.com. You might have a state-specific site like those two.

OpenStreetMap is nice because users can edit it themselves and pay attention to specifics like trails.

The Nat Geo maps are good because I can actually bring them with me.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

OpenStreetMap is nice because users can edit it themselves and pay attention to specifics like trails.

This is not at all what I am looking for but holy gently caress this site is amazing. I am gonna waste all day tomorrow loving around with it, so cool!

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Depends what you mean by "mid Atlantic." Southern New York and New Jersey has the NYNJTC; their website has lots of day hike suggestions, but you can also buy some pretty good maps of the Catskills and the north Jersey hills and so on from them. Further south, I would imagine there are resources for hiking around DC and NoVA, but if you're in eastern PA, you're kinda out of luck. There are lots of trails, but the land is locked up as wildlife management areas, and there doesn't seem to be any effort at compiling trail info into any useful resource site.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Alltrails.com is a decent resource as well.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Kind of surprising to me but my best luck has been with various guidebooks and such. The format lends itself to providing a little more information about the various trails, camps, etc. than you would typically find online, and you can always follow up with a call to the park / looking online / eyeballing some maps to confirm details. Depending on your area you might find a Moon guidebook valuable or any number of individual authors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Falcon Guides have been getting better over the years, though they're still more of an entry point to finding out what's around you. For longer outings especially, you gotta do a lot of supplementary research.