Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
https://twitter.com/CoconinoNF/status/1407073110487027713

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

There are already 2 fires in Oregon with some "Level 3 Get loving OUT" orders for the fire near Klamath falls. I'm heading over to Central Oregon this weekend for some Gambler 500 shenanigans (and hiding from 100 degree Portland days in the desert) and am already nervous about fires. I'm just glad I know the right folks so I can pull up to the VIP side spot and not have to worry about the whole huge mess that is GamblerTown.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's perfect timing that just as we're already to creep out of our caves the entire west half of the continent gets even drier and hotter, guaranteeing a record setting fire season.

As if earth was all "lol you guys thought pandemic was your biggest worry? gently caress you, polluting the poo poo out of the planet is still going on and it's time to pay up."

highme
May 25, 2001

Did you say Hotter & Drier? oof

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/1407068340661653505

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's pretty drat depressing but climate change is here, now. It's not a future generation thing anymore and nothing is gonna stop it. If you're an outdoors type, November-May is your new active season.

Maybe avoid buying property in the southwest too.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i'll take this opportunity to mention that the bo burnham special 'inside' is extremely good

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Saturday I went out to do Cascade Mountain, one of the less climbed peaks in the Wasatch

The ridge is real long

The front side is real populated

The back side not so much

On Monday since I had the day off I thought I would try something different and get to the ID-WY-MT tri-point. The other tri-points I had been to like ID-UT-NV and CO-WY-UT and even AZ-NV-UT were fairly easy, just drive on up and that's it. I feel like they made this one intentionally hard to get to. There's very little information on it outside of two or three pages on the internet. The closest road is closed and it's 6 miles of walking or biking just to get to the spot to leave the road. Then it's 2-3 miles of walking through deadfall hoping the GPS coordinates to find the one rock cairn are going to be good enough. I ran out of time and turned around before I could get off the road. Looks nice but that's some rugged going

Fun fact, the tri-point is actually in the Yellowstone boundary, so you could say you got into Yellowstone for free

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Hotel Kpro posted:

Fun fact, the tri-point is actually in the Yellowstone boundary, so you could say you got into Yellowstone for free

Watch out for homicidal law professors!

That does look like a good backcountry adventure. Don't grizzlies live in most of the park?

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 23, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah but you're gonna miss out on a lot of really awesome hikes if you avoid them because of bears. Or any form of wildlife that could easily turn you into ground beef.

Just lug some bear spray and make a lot of noise, you'll be fine (but will still be nervous because we have primate brains).

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Just about every national forest in Arizona is closed to the public now because of the fire risk :smith:

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Doing an overnight at Flapjack Lakes in the Staircase area Sunday/Monday. Planning to hit the trail at 6am so it will only be 80 when I hit the steep grade, and only 95 when I start setting up camp. And then planning on jumping in the lake and not getting out for 8 hours or so. Hope I beat the crowds and can find some nice shade, all backcountry permits are snatched up, unsurprisingly.

On the plus, expecting crystal clear skies so should have some fabulous astro photography and won't need a bunch of rain/cold weather gear. Still a bit nervous, definitely the hottest temps I've ventured out in. If there wasn't water immediately accessible to jump in and cool off I'd bail.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hiking in 80-90 degrees isn’t fun but the biggest thing driving me to set an early alarm is the people that come to the trail at 11am.

I loved my Rocky Mountain hike and everyone should get to experience it but urrrrgh the last 2 miles back to the car was the worst hiking ever. Sorry your suburban brats are miserable but they’re sulking in the middle of the trail next to the guys who brought a speaker.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Rolo posted:

Hiking in 80-90 degrees isn’t fun but the biggest thing driving me to set an early alarm is the people that come to the trail at 11am.

I loved my Rocky Mountain hike and everyone should get to experience it but urrrrgh the last 2 miles back to the car was the worst hiking ever. Sorry your suburban brats are miserable but they’re sulking in the middle of the trail next to the guys who brought a speaker.

My group tends to break camp around 8:30-9. Later than some, but we normally plan around 8-12 miles a day since we stop for a lot of pictures, good lunch spots, etc, and that's plenty of time to the next site. However if its a first come first serve site we are headed to we are on trail ASAP

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Oh man, I think I'm going to stay home this weekend with those temps. I've been itching to get out so bad but it's going to be brutally hot. Hopefully the temps drop as you increase elevation.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

xzzy posted:

It's perfect timing that just as we're already to creep out of our caves the entire west half of the continent gets even drier and hotter, guaranteeing a record setting fire season.

As if earth was all "lol you guys thought pandemic was your biggest worry? gently caress you, polluting the poo poo out of the planet is still going on and it's time to pay up."

Hell, last year the Colorado fires were so bad I ended up getting tested a couple of times because it turns out many of the symptoms of smoke inhalation are COVID symptoms when the smoke gets bad enough.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
One in our group is dead set on camping this weekend. We will be by the Teanaway and above 3000 in shade, so hopefully it won’t be too bad

highme
May 25, 2001

I have had tomorrow scheduled for PTO since December for the https://www.gambler500.com in central Oregon. A combination of “holy gently caress it’s hot” and work things have me thinking hiding my ginger rear end at home with AC and Games Pass is a better plan.

Though think of all the souls I can claim. Also I’m mostly concerned about driving home in the worst heat on Sunday so I should buck up and just plan on all the sunscreen on Saturday and being on the road early Sunday.

Edit: I think I’ve convinced myself to go.

highme fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 25, 2021

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Verman posted:

Oh man, I think I'm going to stay home this weekend with those temps. I've been itching to get out so bad but it's going to be brutally hot. Hopefully the temps drop as you increase elevation.
I mean sure, in as much as Rainier summit is only supposed to be at 52F Monday, Muir at 60, Paradise at 88F, but there's still 1200W/m^2 coming in so it'll still feel like 100.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Has anyone here ever portaged solo? I'm planning on going back to Isle Royale National Park this August and would like to see it by kayak this time. The trail/water guide I have says the route I want to do could be done comfortably in 6-7 days, and none of the portages are longer than 2 miles and most are moderate difficulty. I have a few days experience on a sea kayak (I think that's what they rent there), went on a few backpacking trips and did my last one to the park solo and hiked more than twice what I'll be doing on this trip, but something about open water scares me a bit. This route is supposed to be beautiful and if I found anyone who both wants to go and has the PTO to do it I'd bring them along, but it looks like it's just me. Do y'all think I have a fair chance of not dying or needing a coast guard rescue?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Dance McPants posted:

Has anyone here ever portaged solo? I'm planning on going back to Isle Royale National Park this August and would like to see it by kayak this time. The trail/water guide I have says the route I want to do could be done comfortably in 6-7 days, and none of the portages are longer than 2 miles and most are moderate difficulty. I have a few days experience on a sea kayak (I think that's what they rent there), went on a few backpacking trips and did my last one to the park solo and hiked more than twice what I'll be doing on this trip, but something about open water scares me a bit. This route is supposed to be beautiful and if I found anyone who both wants to go and has the PTO to do it I'd bring them along, but it looks like it's just me. Do y'all think I have a fair chance of not dying or needing a coast guard rescue?

Are you circumnavigating the island or are you taking the kayak/canoe routes through the interior of the island? Lake Superior is always dangerous in rough weather but I'd assume you would be close enough to shore at any moment that if dangerous weather seems to be kicking up that you can find a spot pretty easy to get the kayak out of the water. I'm going to be heading there this summer for a backpacking trip as well.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

I'd be going through the established route down Rock Harbor to Moskey basin, through the North inland lakes to the Five Fingers, then portaging back to Rock Harbor. It's theoretically all sheltered from the open water and there are spots that it gets choppy but nothing like rawdogging Lake Superior in a kayak.

What's your itinerary? I took the Rock Harbor trail to Lake Richie then followed the Greenstone Ridge trail to Windigo and had a blast. Ran into a few moose too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=immPGBeEIwg

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Dance McPants posted:

I'd be going through the established route down Rock Harbor to Moskey basin, through the North inland lakes to the Five Fingers, then portaging back to Rock Harbor. It's theoretically all sheltered from the open water and there are spots that it gets choppy but nothing like rawdogging Lake Superior in a kayak.

What's your itinerary? I took the Rock Harbor trail to Lake Richie then followed the Greenstone Ridge trail to Windigo and had a blast. Ran into a few moose too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=immPGBeEIwg

Heading up the Minong from Windigo. Then over to Lane Cove as it's one of the most picturesque sites I have ever camped at, then finishing at rock harbor.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

I heard that about Lane Cove from the hikers I met, and I'm gonna budget an extra day or two to hopefully camp there for a night after I return the kayak in Rock Harbor. I also heard the Minong is rough and rocky but doable and I'd like to try it next time I go (or this time if the kayak plan falls through), and to avoid the Feldtmann Ridge trail as it's "a waste of time" according to some random people I met in Windigo.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Took the wife out on her first backpacking trip today near Mt. Baldy in SoCal. Temps weren't too bad once you get up to elevation but it was right at the edge of too hot to get a good nights sleep. Temps only dropped to around 70 at night which would have been fine with a nice breeze but it was still air so using any type of sleeping bag just made us sweat. No mosquitos but enough flies to ruin your dinner.

She seemed to enjoy it enough to want to go out again though so maybe I won't have to solo backpack every time now :)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Dance McPants posted:

I heard that about Lane Cove from the hikers I met, and I'm gonna budget an extra day or two to hopefully camp there for a night after I return the kayak in Rock Harbor. I also heard the Minong is rough and rocky but doable and I'd like to try it next time I go (or this time if the kayak plan falls through), and to avoid the Feldtmann Ridge trail as it's "a waste of time" according to some random people I met in Windigo.

Yeah the minong is supposed to a lot of up and down all day, so I'm expecting those days to be a bit rough, but worth it. I doubt it will be as rough as stuff I have done in Glacier, at least there is no elevation to worry about.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT

FCKGW posted:

Took the wife out on her first backpacking trip today near Mt. Baldy in SoCal. Temps weren't too bad once you get up to elevation but it was right at the edge of too hot to get a good nights sleep. Temps only dropped to around 70 at night which would have been fine with a nice breeze but it was still air so using any type of sleeping bag just made us sweat. No mosquitos but enough flies to ruin your dinner.

She seemed to enjoy it enough to want to go out again though so maybe I won't have to solo backpack every time now :)
Nice! I was planning to do a little 3-night route I designed that goes around the Cucamonga Wilderness and summits Mt. Baldy, but now I'm glad I didn't go out - I only have a 15º sleeping bag and I would have roasted. If you don't mind me being nosy, where did you park and how did it work out? I was planning to park either in front of the visitor center or directly in the Icehouse Canyon lot, but I've heard it gets swarmed with LAites and can be hard to find parking.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
To the Lake Superior Goon, I say go for it.

I mean, absolutely underscoring the fact that Lake Superior is one of the most dangerous inland bodies of water on earth, but you aren't looking to circumnavigate it or anything.

I'd just say that you need to be cognizant of air and water temps. You can get hypothermia in that water any time of year, but I wouldn't say it's very risky in the summer when you are close to shore. I'd wager those inland lakes are a lot warmer, too.

If you're doing this in the fall or something though? Not unless you are experienced and equipped (dry suit).

I say all of this as someone a little familiar with superior but with no knowledge whatsoever of that park.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Honestly I wasn't prepared for my first trip but survived and that is giving me some faith. My pack was waaaay too heavy for the seaplane before I left (like over 55lbs) and I was running fuel and food back to my car and stuffing stuff in the clothes I was wearing so my pack would meet the weight limits, then bought more fuel and food at Rock Harbor to weigh it down again. Not balanced great either so I was using those trekking poles so much one of them started to crack around the locking pin towards the end of the trip. But once you get into a hiking rhythm and pass boredom and stray thoughts into just focusing on the steps in front of you and the sounds and scenery you feel like you could hike from dawn till dusk.

Paddling on those lakes and inland waters should be even more meditative and I'm p excited. Only thing that sucks is the kayak rentals are $55 a day, and even if I could find/haul a kayak 8 hours up there I called the ferries and they won't transport a kayak without a passenger to load and unload it. I can't do it cause I'm taking the seaplane again (I get seasick and don't want to lose a day on the park to 5 hours on the lake and the rest of the day recovering.)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

The inland lakes on IR are indeed warmer, and where OP is going top be in Superior, they will never be far from shore, so worst case is having to just drag the thing up on a rocky beach and wait out a storm. On the northern end of the island its hundreds of small islands, so the waves are also not as dangerous if they kick up since there are a lot of things to break them up. But in general Superior is always something to be wary of.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

snailshell posted:

Nice! I was planning to do a little 3-night route I designed that goes around the Cucamonga Wilderness and summits Mt. Baldy, but now I'm glad I didn't go out - I only have a 15º sleeping bag and I would have roasted. If you don't mind me being nosy, where did you park and how did it work out? I was planning to park either in front of the visitor center or directly in the Icehouse Canyon lot, but I've heard it gets swarmed with LAites and can be hard to find parking.

We parked at Ice House Canyon. The lot is filled by 7am on the weekends but was only half full when we came down on Monday. If you’re going during the week you should be fine. If you are headed up on the weekend you can still find parking along the highway down from the lot but you might need to hike a while uphill just to get to the trailhead.

You’re right that the trail is pretty packed with dayhikers but they mostly disappear once you get past Ice House Saddle. A lot of the small creeks have dried up this year so make sure you check your water sources before you head out.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 30, 2021

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Dance McPants posted:

Honestly I wasn't prepared for my first trip but survived and that is giving me some faith. My pack was waaaay too heavy for the seaplane before I left (like over 55lbs) and I was running fuel and food back to my car and stuffing stuff in the clothes I was wearing so my pack would meet the weight limits, then bought more fuel and food at Rock Harbor to weigh it down again. Not balanced great either so I was using those trekking poles so much one of them started to crack around the locking pin towards the end of the trip. But once you get into a hiking rhythm and pass boredom and stray thoughts into just focusing on the steps in front of you and the sounds and scenery you feel like you could hike from dawn till dusk.

Paddling on those lakes and inland waters should be even more meditative and I'm p excited. Only thing that sucks is the kayak rentals are $55 a day, and even if I could find/haul a kayak 8 hours up there I called the ferries and they won't transport a kayak without a passenger to load and unload it. I can't do it cause I'm taking the seaplane again (I get seasick and don't want to lose a day on the park to 5 hours on the lake and the rest of the day recovering.)

Heyo seasick buddy. I spent my first boat ride on the Queen III and vomited non-stop for 5.5 hours. Pretty much ruined my entire trip.

Odd with the ferries and the boat, last time I went (with a scop patch) the boat crews did all of the loading of kayaks and canoes.

Was at Lane Cove the last night on that trip, it was nice but I thought McCargo was better.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

When I did a backpacking trip at IR 20 years back there was a storm that came in on our departure day, so instead of taking the bigger and smoother of the two ferries we had to take the smaller one in 4-5 foot swells and it was a nightmare

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

When I did a backpacking trip at IR 20 years back there was a storm that came in on our departure day, so instead of taking the bigger and smoother of the two ferries we had to take the smaller one in 4-5 foot swells and it was a nightmare

Yeah, if you can afford it, take the plane, its a dope as gently caress experience, and its only 45 mins. Only negative is you need to be ready to get stuck there if weather comes through. My first time there we got a sliver of service on a short 2nd to last day, saw 24+ hrs of rain, and ended up pushing through all the way to Windigo. We then sat at the windigo visitors center the entire next day drinking wine and eating lovely pizza with other people stuck there since the planes were not flying. It actually kinda owned lol.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

my last day in Windigo the ferry came and dropped people off but the water was too rough to go back and like 40 people were stranded there an extra day. The seaplane could takeoff just fine so I was outta there :parrot:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
So I went back to do the ID-WY-MT tri-point. I brought the right equipment this time

Of course I hadn't ridden my bike in years so I had to get it tuned up, and I forgot that if you aren't used to sitting on a bike seat that poo poo hurts like hell. But it did take what was 6 miles of walking one way and cut the time down to well less than an hour. A lot of it was downhill on the way back. The speeds I was going, man falling would have been a bad time for me

Into Yellowstone! I may or may not have grabbed one that had fallen onto the ground upside down

There was lots of this

And this

For almost four miles it was nothing but rocks and trees and maybe some grass or whatever low lying shrub was growing. And mosquitoes, holy gently caress there were a lot of mosquitoes. Finally I knew I was close

And then finally I loving got it

Yup just gotta find the right pile of rocks

I did get the Strava track as well https://www.strava.com/activities/5582245130. Zoom in at the finish to see me struggle to find the waypoint I had set on my GPS

So you'll notice on the Strava map the lines don't match up with the actual tri-point, and the same is true with Google maps. The other tri-point areas are real close to what the maps say, so I can only conclude that nobody gives a poo poo about this area and everyone phoned it in when it came to getting the true coordinates lined up with the lines on the map.

Also Google insisted that the area to the left was a viable road

The forest service had done a ton of work to make a lot of the old roads disappear and Google maps hasn't quite caught on

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can report those errors to google, but it takes literal years for them to update it so the jury is out on if it helps, maybe they only fix that stuff when they get updated maps from their sources. I found a spot in eastern Oregon where google's map followed what looked like an old wagon trail and the satellite images clearly showed the modern gravel road that cut into a hill for a smoother grade. I did the report thing and I think it was almost two years before the road updated.

As you've discovered, FS roads are particularly untrustworthy. I once made the mistake of assuming a road would be navigable and when I got there had to hastily change plans for two nights of camping because there was no way in hell a stock subaru was gonna handle it. An ATV probably would have had trouble. So yeah, they're more like guidelines. The MVUM maps are annoyingly low tech but they do annual updates and are a little more useful for determining road existence, if not conditions.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hotel Kpro posted:

For almost four miles it was nothing but rocks and trees and maybe some grass or whatever low lying shrub was growing. And mosquitoes, holy gently caress there were a lot of mosquitoes. Finally I knew I was close

What is 26 LKS here, in the Direction box?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Safety Dance posted:

What is 26 LKS here, in the Direction box?

Maybe "links"? Distances were measured in chains and links where a chain was 66' and a link was a little less than 8"

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
That's probably the right answer, I'm guessing the guy or girl who put that there switched boxes and the 26 LKS was meant for distance. This website seems to agree https://www.northcarolina.ctt.com/docs/Appdx%2027%20-%20Common%20Surveyor%27s%20Symbols.pdf although the distance seems off, elsewhere I found 66' as well

The alternative that I found was Liver Kidney Spleen so a bit darker of an image if that's what it took to set that up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is definitely survey links. Survey chain is 66 feet and made of 100 links.

withak fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 7, 2021