Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Lacrosse posted:

There's actually one for sale right now, for $200,000 you too can watch your home and all of your belongings be taken by Poseidon. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1094-Blue-Pacific-Dr-Grayland-WA-98547/108179666_zpid/

quote:

Do you hear the Pacific Ocean calling your name? Well, you just come on home!

Edit: just to be clear this is a real quote from that zillow lonk

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I have one day in Zion during a roadtrip to Colorado. September 31st. What hike do I do?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Dawn hike (beat the crowds) up Angels Landing if it's open then The Narrows around mid-day if it's not too cold

West Rim if you want a big day

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want to avoid people you can take hikes through any of the random washes that line the roadway. If you load up the park in caltopop you'll see little trails branching off everywhere.

If you want the iconic scenery it's gonna be narrows or angel's landing.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Thanks. I will probably be bringing my bike along with me (weather withstanding) and am thinking about getting in early on the bike.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Lacrosse posted:

Every year I'll see another house in the news that had fallen into the sea during a wind storm. There's actually one for sale right now, for $200,000 you too can watch your home and all of your belongings be taken by Poseidon. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1094-Blue-Pacific-Dr-Grayland-WA-98547/108179666_zpid/

What a way to end up with an underwater mortgage.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Buying a home in Nebraska starting to look like a smart move.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Lacrosse posted:

Anyway, I've always wondered if it'd be uncouth to poke around Washaway Beach with a metal detector.

Possibly but do it anyway

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Did what will likely be my final canoe camping trip of the year, unless I do something very spontaneously in October.

Twas a beaut.

Scorch Lake, Algonquin Park

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Since smoke is making it very difficult to plan trips in the Sierra Nevada, I'm thinking about using some PTO and heading up to Washington for some backpacking. I've spent some time up there before during the summer in most of the national parks but I'm not that familiar with the mountains around there, or late season conditions.

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for routes that fall into some of these criteria:

1.) Not too hard to get a permit for in October
2.) Preferably not too busy or super popular
3.) The more time at or above treeline the better, but it would be good to have reasonable options to descend and modify/abort in a storm
4.) Routes roughly in the range of 2-5 days in duration
5.) Off-trail, nearby peak objectives, or scrambling are OK and even desirable, but would prefer to keep it class 2, and avoid things that require dry conditions or good weather to be reasonably passable or safe..

I'm not really familiar with when snow starts piling up or at what elevations. Around here it's unusual to get any major snow accumulations before the end of October, but again, I'm not so familiar with late season conditions in the PNW. My partner and I both have winter backpacking & winter mountaineering experience, so winter or winter-adjacent conditions aren't necessarily a problem. But I don't really know when roads/trailheads close or at risk of getting snowed out, and I'd like to avoid routes where we need to bring full-on winter mountain equipment or where there is significant avalanche hazard.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Morbus posted:

1.) Not too hard to get a permit for in October
2.) Preferably not too busy or super popular
3.) The more time at or above treeline the better, but it would be good to have reasonable options to descend and modify/abort in a storm
4.) Routes roughly in the range of 2-5 days in duration
5.) Off-trail, nearby peak objectives, or scrambling are OK and even desirable, but would prefer to keep it class 2, and avoid things that require dry conditions or good weather to be reasonably passable or safe..

October is a great time of year up here (earlier is probably better) but the weather can obviously vary a lot. It can be really wet, cold and windy or clear and sunny. Temps will be dropping fast, especially overnight. Odds are some precipitation will likely happen especially the later you get into the month with snow more likely each week and higher elevation.

My only other consideration is some seasonal roads might be closed or being close to closing throughout October depending on snowfall.

I might suggest looking at goat rocks traverse or some modification of it. It's a beautiful area and this time of year might be a lot less trail traffic. There are lots of peak scrabbles nearby.

Pasayten should probably have favorable (dry) weather given it's usually in the rain shadow but it might be a really long drive from Seattle, especially if highway 20 is closed for the season. Cathedral pass loop would be a fun few days and great scenery.

Verman fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 27, 2021

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Holy gently caress. In my neverending quest to hike all the mountains but only doing dayhikes I thought I would go out to the Wind River range in Wyoming and give Fremont Peak a shot. I had only really budgeted about 15 miles worth of hiking one way and as it would turn out, 15 miles only gets you so far

At that point I just turned around but I definitely plan on coming back. It is absolutely an amazing area

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wind River and the Bighorns are two semi-secret little gems that someday I will spend weeks exploring.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Does anyone know good places to camp in Shenandoah, Monogahela, Cherokee, or Allegheny with extremely dark skies? I'm recovering from a stress fracture so I can't walk so much, maybe a mile or two, but I want to see some very very dark skies while I'm driving up past the DC area into Pennsylvania next week.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dark skies east of the mississippi are extremely difficult to find:

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=5.05&lat=39.3165&lon=-76.8751&layers=B0FFFFFFTFFFFFFFFFF

There's two obvious spots sorta near the places you mentioned, but I got no idea on their accessibility.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
And for context the darkest sky I've ever seen is a bortle 4 and that was pretty amazing, its mustard yellow on that map.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

xzzy posted:

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=5.05&lat=39.3165&lon=-76.8751&layers=B0FFFFFFTFFFFFFFFFF

There's two obvious spots sorta near the places you mentioned, but I got no idea on their accessibility.

Cherry springs is a bit west of ANF https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/FindAPark/CherrySpringsStatePark/Pages/Stargazing.aspx

the yeti fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 27, 2021

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Verman posted:

October is a great time of year up here (earlier is probably better) but the weather can obviously vary a lot. It can be really wet, cold and windy or clear and sunny. Temps will be dropping fast, especially overnight. Odds are some precipitation will likely happen especially the later you get into the month with snow more likely each week and higher elevation.

My only other consideration is some seasonal roads might be closed or bring close to closing throughout October depending on snowfall.

I might suggest looking at goat rocks traverse or some modification of it. It's a beautiful area and this time of year might be a lot less trail traffic. There are lots of peak scrabbles nearby.

Pasayten should probably have favorable (dry) weather given it's usually in the rain shadow but it might be a really long drive from Seattle, especially if highway 20 is closed for the season. Cathedral pass loop would be a fun few days and great scenery.

Thanks very much for the suggestions!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

xzzy posted:

https://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html#4/39.00/-98.00

Anything green or better is pretty good and you'll be able to see the milky way core with the naked eye.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Verman posted:

My only other consideration is some seasonal roads might be closed or being close to closing throughout October depending on snowfall.

This is all good advice. Here's the list of dates Highway 20 has closed. An October closure would be very unusual for recent years.
https://wsdot.wa.gov/travel/highways-bridges/passes/closures-openings

My big concern with October weather, besides the chances of a major storm would be that you'd just get socked in with clouds and not be able to see anything. October can be a very gray month.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Dumb question that may be buried back somewhere. For not super aggressive hiking, how much water per mile should I be budgeting? I have both under packed and over packed in the past.

Got my first big hike planned Sunday, after a number of smaller (7-8 mile) ones, and goal is 18.7 miles. I normally average about 30 minutes a mile after 5 miles. No crazy terrain. I will be bringing my mcr hand pump water thingies, but it's been dry so not sure if I will be able to top up. Ice Age Trail in Wisconsin.

(44 year old goonette, fwiw).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Arkhamina posted:

Dumb question that may be buried back somewhere. For not super aggressive hiking, how much water per mile should I be budgeting? I have both under packed and over packed in the past.

Got my first big hike planned Sunday, after a number of smaller (7-8 mile) ones, and goal is 18.7 miles. I normally average about 30 minutes a mile after 5 miles. No crazy terrain. I will be bringing my mcr hand pump water thingies, but it's been dry so not sure if I will be able to top up. Ice Age Trail in Wisconsin.

2 liters in a water bladder will get me through a 4 hour hike in the summer when I'm sweating.

I also bring a backup 1 liter bottle in case the bladder breaks or I need to share water, or I just run out in the bladder with no water source to refill

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Any Colorado inhabitants in here? This weekend I'm driving through the state, have about 7 days to chase fall color. Current plan is Kebler Pass a few days, then Last Dollar Highway (assuming the rain stays down and the road stays passable, I don't have a kitted out 4x4), then Conejos river valley until I'm due in Santa Fe on the 10th.

I'm finding a lot of conflicting reports on how things are going, lots of warnings about drought and warm temps pushing things out a week, but the handful of photos I've seen taken show pretty advanced colors. Am just curious if anyone has their finger on the pulse of things in the state.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Arkhamina posted:

I think REI has some excellent basic field guide material if you have more questions about this sort of thing. Their rule is "About a half liter of water per hour of moderate activity in moderate temperatures." https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/hydrate.html

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

xzzy posted:

Any Colorado inhabitants in here? This weekend I'm driving through the state, have about 7 days to chase fall color. Current plan is Kebler Pass a few days, then Last Dollar Highway (assuming the rain stays down and the road stays passable, I don't have a kitted out 4x4), then Conejos river valley until I'm due in Santa Fe on the 10th.

I'm finding a lot of conflicting reports on how things are going, lots of warnings about drought and warm temps pushing things out a week, but the handful of photos I've seen taken show pretty advanced colors. Am just curious if anyone has their finger on the pulse of things in the state.

I live in Colorado and someone posted these photos from last weekend on a community I'm part of

Apparently aken out by Fairplay/Breckenridge.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

on hiking water: i used to use hydration bladders for all the convenience reasons you can think of, but eventually i switched to bottles for the simple reason that they are harder to drink out of. it keeps me from sip sip sipping my whole supply away faster than is called for, and bottles are easier to check the level of by sight as well. not everyone is going to have that issue, but once i realized that i did and addressed it i stopped running short of water earlier than expected.

for backpacking or longer hikes i also bring a cnoc bladder for hauling/filtering, but that all goes into bottles for drinking.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Just did a quick 3 day trip in Shenandoah, was a ton of fun. Can't wait to get home and go over the pictures

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

BeastOfExmoor posted:

This is all good advice. Here's the list of dates Highway 20 has closed. An October closure would be very unusual for recent years.
https://wsdot.wa.gov/travel/highways-bridges/passes/closures-openings

My big concern with October weather, besides the chances of a major storm would be that you'd just get socked in with clouds and not be able to see anything. October can be a very gray month.

If a good storm comes through its already starting to get snowy at the higher elevations, I saw the Crystal Mountain cam already had snow. I did a day trip up to Teanaway with the rock club to do some field collecting and it snowed on us the first weekend in October 2018. I slept at a campground in NE WA earlier that week and it was 22F out overnight.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

Which section of the IAT are you planning?

During the summer, I'd be doing right around a liter every 3-4 miles. I do feel like the longer hikes I tend to slow my water intake during the middle section.

For that long of a hike, I'd prob fill my 3l bladder, as well as my two nalgenes on the side. And probably toss my sawyer squeeze in just in case.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Does anyone know good places to camp in Shenandoah, Monogahela, Cherokee, or Allegheny with extremely dark skies? I'm recovering from a stress fracture so I can't walk so much, maybe a mile or two, but I want to see some very very dark skies while I'm driving up past the DC area into Pennsylvania next week.

From that dark skies map, the southwest dark blob is Cranberry Wilderness in Monongahela National Forest. Extremely rough and secluded with backcountry campsites. Lots of stories of people getting lost there. Lots of bears too. Idunno if you have anyone else in your party but I would be wary of going in there alone when recovering from an injury. It's a magical place though.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Thanks everyone, I used the Cherry Springs state park as a guide and I've got 3 good candidate sites within a reasonable radius. I'm going to head up and check it out this Thursday, should be a nice way to break up my drive and its not too far out of the way.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

Casu Marzu posted:

Which section of the IAT are you planning?

During the summer, I'd be doing right around a liter every 3-4 miles. I do feel like the longer hikes I tend to slow my water intake during the middle section.

For that long of a hike, I'd prob fill my 3l bladder, as well as my two nalgenes on the side. And probably toss my sawyer squeeze in just in case.

Itinerary
Jefferson Co.- 18.7 miles - 9.3 hours.
Whitewater segment - 4.6 Miles (3/2)
(water - camping whitewater lake campground)
Blackhawk Segment - 7.0 miles (3/2)
water - Kettle Morrain State Forest SU camping
Blue Springs Lake Segment - 7.1 (3/2)

That's the plan. Going to also carry a bit more gear than needed, as I am working my way up to through hiking, and it will be good practice. The #/# is the incline, difficulty from the guide. This is also for the Mammoth Challenge, 41 miles in October. I have another 18 mile one planned, and if I can do 2 of those, and one normal hike, I'll have my 41 :unsmith:

I am sad too this year to find my older dog really can't do more than 5 miles. She's 8...

Thanks for the water tips!

Arkhamina fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 29, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

Itinerary
Jefferson Co.- 18.7 miles - 9.3 hours.
Whitewater segment - 4.6 Miles (3/2)
(water - camping whitewater lake campground)
Blackhawk Segment - 7.0 miles (3/2)
water - Kettle Morrain State Forest SU camping
Blue Springs Lake Segment - 7.1 (3/2)

That's the plan. Going to also carry a bit more gear than needed, as I am working my way up to through hiking, and it will be good practice. The #/# is the incline, difficulty from the guide. This is also for the Mammoth Challenge, 41 miles in October. I have another 18 mile one planned, and if I can do 2 of those, and one normal hike, I'll have my 41 :unsmith:

I am sad too this year to find my older dog really can't do more than 5 miles. She's 8...

Thanks for the water tips!

Heck yeah, that sounds like a pretty good itinerary. It's been gorgeous through there.

There should be more than a few spigots/bubblers available along that route, you could probably get by with carrying a lot less water between trail heads.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Slimy Hog posted:

I live in Colorado and someone posted these photos from last weekend on a community I'm part of

Apparently aken out by Fairplay/Breckenridge.

Looking drat nice, and that seems pretty far along to me. Hopefully it still looks nice next week.

thanks!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

If I were to visit Grand Teton and Yellowstone for some backpacking in mid-late October, what should I definitely do, and what issues should I plan for? I'm thinking about two weeks, with most of it in the backcountry but some breaks for bathing and recuperating. I know weather can be dicey at that time, but is snow likely to be a major issue?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've never been through at that time of year, but I used to get reports every year from my mom who lived in the region for a while, winter closures start early. A quick google says Yellowstone has already had closures this year related to winter weather, so yeah, it's gonna be an issue. Permanent seasonal closures start on October 12.

I think the Tetons region stays accessible for longer, but getting out of there requires going over some fairly high passes. I say go for it, snow is loving awesome, but know what you can handle.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I can hike in moderate snow and ice just fine, but I'm not set up for heavy snowfall (only a 3-season tent). The averages for October don't look too bad (lows in the 20s, only several days of precipitation), but I know extreme events are possible. The amenities I'm interested in seem like they'll be open through early November (mostly just backcountry access and the roads required to get there). I'm trying to thread the needle of necessary planning (backcountry permits) and flexibility (potential snowfall might make plans impossible). I wish recreation.gov wasn't such a pain in the rear end.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
We spent October 9 - 17 in Yellowstone and Tetons last year. We were just doing day hikes and dispersed camping (no campgrounds), so not exactly backcountry.

We lucked out on the weather. It was cold but mostly clear. Nights regularly dropped into the low teens or single digits. Relatively little precipitation until the end when some snow moved in and I believe roads were closed in Yellowstone (we were in Tetons by that point).

It was an awesome trip, and the reduced crowds made it completely worth it. Many trails were entirely empty. To be honest I was hoping for some heavier winter weather. But we went in a 4wd vehicle with snow tires, slept in our vehicle most nights, and packed snowshoes. Not sure how much I would be praying for snow if I had been backpacking.

I seem to remember seeing the weather a week or two after we left and it had dropped into near/sub zero temps at night with much more snow on the way. I suspect mid October is right on the edge of the real winter weather.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i hate being cold, so for me lows in the 30s are my limit for backpacking, anything more and i get cranky fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Hello new thread.

We are backpacking for the first time, we’re doing ten lakes in Yosemite. Going with two very experience people, and we’ve spent about two weeks in Yosemite this year including high altitude backcountry day hikes that rival what we’re doing except this time we’ll be carrying a pack.

We took it around the park fully loaded and it’s obvious I gotta do a better job getting the strap on my lilac crest. I figure it will just take time to get the hang of

Our hike will be total of 12.4 miles and 2950’, one day of hiking in, one day of enjoying, and then out on the third day

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 30, 2021