Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

alnilam posted:

Yeah I was thinking more for checking my location periodically (double checking versus map navigation). Phone would be off most of the time.

For what its worth, I was doing a similar thing before buying a gps. My battery doesnt last long when GPS is constantly on and I would just start it up every now and then to check elevation or whatever.

The problem with my phone was that it would take forever to connect if I was under any tree cover/vegetation. Steep rock walls also cut off my signal. At certain points it wouldn't connect until I was out in the open. I think in general cell phone GPS receivers are pretty weak compared to dedicated units.

I also started considering the cost of damaging my phone while hiking and a $100-200 gps was a cheaper alternative if anything were to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

mastershakeman posted:

Any recommendation on breathable waterproof pants? I plan on using them for winter camping but if possible in the summer during storms too if at all possible.

Arcteryx or Mammut are the Best. Choice is yours about hardshell or softshell. Really depends on the activity and conditions. I would generally prefer Mammut softshells and Arc hardshells.

The trick can be finding hiking pants instead of ski pants.

Unless you're on a budget, then idk, look at Marmot.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Speleothing posted:

Arcteryx or Mammut are the Best. Choice is yours about hardshell or softshell. Really depends on the activity and conditions. I would generally prefer Mammut softshells and Arc hardshells.

The trick can be finding hiking pants instead of ski pants.

Unless you're on a budget, then idk, look at Marmot.

I have a beat up pair of REI convertible pants & a pair of Kuhl convertible pants so I'm probably good to go in terms of softshell. I'll look into AR. I wish I could buy these but they're apparently only available in XXL :iiam:
http://www.rei.com/product/803362/arcteryx-beta-ar-pants-mens-regular

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Speleothing posted:

Arcteryx or Mammut are the Best. Choice is yours about hardshell or softshell.

Is this true for jackets as well? I can't get Arcteryx where I live, but Mammut is available.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I think there's a bit more competition in jackets. Rab makes good stuff as well. But generally yes.

One thing about Mammut is that there's a very big range in quality between their best stuff and their inexpensive stuff. Arc'terys is just expensive stuff.

The reason those pants are reduced price at REI is because they're clearing out of the previous inventory. Nobody has last year's pants anymore. The current pants are made with a new fabric, and aren't likely to be available marked down anywhere for at least a month.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mcustic posted:

Is this true for jackets as well? I can't get Arcteryx where I live, but Mammut is available.
I don't think the patterning is as good, but they're very well built.

Regarding pants: they're getting rid of old stock now, and will have the 2014 stuff soon is my guess.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

For people backpacking with a phone for GPS, it's worth noting that the iPhone 5 apparently drains the battery when the sim is locked/things turned off/etc like a sonofabitch. The iPhone 4 (and probably lots of android phones) can be brought all the way down to ~%4 drain while asleep per day.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 27, 2013

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Hypnolobster posted:

For people backpacking with a phone for GPS, it's worth noting that the iPhone 5 apparently drains the battery when the sim is locked/things turned off/etc like a sonofabitch. The iPhone 4 (and probably lots of android phones) can be brought all the way down to ~%4 drain while asleep per day.
It doesn't though. Evidence: I have used it for days while off/airplane mode and it only went to 90%.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Yes, airplane mode got me through a week's worth of camping.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Hypnolobster posted:

For people backpacking with a phone for GPS, it's worth noting that the iPhone 5 apparently drains the battery when the sim is locked/things turned off/etc like a sonofabitch.

Not really. This weekend, I had my iPhone 5 in airplane mode from 6am Saturday til 5pm Sunday, and it was at 99% when I woke it up to check for my ride at the trailhead. I would expect it to drain the battery in GPS mode, of course, but that's why I use a dedicated GPS and carry spare AA batteries for it.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Instead of waterproof pants, just wear gaiters and an ultralight rain skirt/kilt.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/rain-kilt.htm

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

beefnoodle posted:

This is probably too late if you were looking for somewhere to go yesterday, but head down Hwy 7 to Wild Basin. Some great hikes with water features there.

Thank you to everyone for chiming in, headed there this weekend. :)

Zen Punk
Dec 26, 2005

interfaced
I'm suprised more people don't use an external GPS receiver like this with their phone. The ones with lithium batteries last 20-40 hours, the GPS chipsets are generally faster and more accurate than phones, and the bluetooth connection uses less battery than the phone's internal GPS. Am I missing something?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hey, so I don't think it's unreasonable that a lot of you would be opposed to local culture, considering that it kind of goes in tandem with environmental issues that affect you and your hobby? Anyway, if there's any forum community that would appreciate a bunch of Canadians dancing in the streets of Kuching, Malaysian Borneo, with a bunch of local performers, it would be you. It may not be hiking, but I think a lot of hikers would love this kind of thing because we have a standard not commonly found. That being said, I really really want to go back to Borneo. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPrOqE2nxsE

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

BeefofAges posted:

Instead of waterproof pants, just wear gaiters and an ultralight rain skirt/kilt.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/rain-kilt.htm

That's kind of cool. But I was thinking about something I could lay in the snow in while building a quinzhee or repeatedly falling while skiing.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

mastershakeman posted:

That's kind of cool. But I was thinking about something I could lay in the snow in while building a quinzhee or repeatedly falling while skiing.

Yeah, that's a bit of a different use case. Even "breathable" waterproof pants probably aren't going to be that breathable, but you can probably find some that have side zips for ventilation.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

You can have breathable or waterproof but not both. I'd suggest basing the decision on your level of activity while you're wearing them. You're going to sweat while skiing, so you want breathing more than waterproof; you're less active laying in the snow :cheeky: so you want waterproof more than you need breathable. You probably won't find one pair that's perfect for both.

Recent replies sponsored by the Beef Council.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

mastershakeman posted:

I have a beat up pair of REI convertible pants & a pair of Kuhl convertible pants so I'm probably good to go in terms of softshell. I'll look into AR. I wish I could buy these but they're apparently only available in XXL :iiam:
http://www.rei.com/product/803362/arcteryx-beta-ar-pants-mens-regular

I have a pair of Beta AR's and they're pretty incredible. Great slim fit make them ideal for snowshoeing/cross-country skiing/mountaineering or any winter activity where bulky snowboarding pants don't make sense. They're super-durable, I've done some glissading on my rear end in them and they show scuffs but other than that no tearing.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

beefnoodle posted:

You can have breathable or waterproof but not both. I'd suggest basing the decision on your level of activity while you're wearing them. You're going to sweat while skiing, so you want breathing more than waterproof; you're less active laying in the snow :cheeky: so you want waterproof more than you need breathable. You probably won't find one pair that's perfect for both.

Most waterproof mountaineering pants that I've looked at have side vents. In the case of the Beta AR's they're full-length. Whenever I'm cross-country skiing in them I typically have the vents open about halfway down to regulate temperature, if it starts to snow on me or I'm sitting on the ground or something I'll zip them back up. I still think it's fair to call them breathable if you have the option for ventilation.

mystes
May 31, 2006

beefnoodle posted:

Other things to consider: depending on conditions you may not actually need any level of waterproofing at all when you're more active. For winter hiking in the snow I usually just go with just nylon pants and gaiters. Then if you don't need the waterproof pants to be great while you're being active you can get pretty cheap ones.

In some situations you can deal with lack of breathability by either staying slightly cold, or if all else fails maybe just getting sweaty if you aren't going to be staying out overnight.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

mystes posted:

Other things to consider: depending on conditions you may not actually need any level of waterproofing at all when you're more active. For winter hiking in the snow I usually just go with just nylon pants and gaiters. Then if you don't need the waterproof pants to be great while you're being active you can get pretty cheap ones.

In some situations you can deal with lack of breathability by either staying slightly cold, or if all else fails maybe just getting sweaty if you aren't going to be staying out overnight.

I'd say this is true for most any outerwear conversations. It all comes down to comfort really. Sure you can get away with not having waterproof pants for snow sports but it's certainly nice to be able to sit down on snow or kneel to fix your boots/bindings or have a bite to eat w/out worrying about getting soaked through.

It might not be a necessity but if you can afford to have goretex pants and you actively participate in winter activities then it's certainly nice to have them. I don't anticipate I'll ever use my snow pants enough to wear them out but hopefully they'll last me a lifetime of comfortable snow-trekking and I'll never have to re-purchase snow/mountaineering pants.

mystes
May 31, 2006

MMD3 posted:

I'd say this is true for most any outerwear conversations. It all comes down to comfort really. Sure you can get away with not having waterproof pants for snow sports but it's certainly nice to be able to sit down on snow or kneel to fix your boots/bindings or have a bite to eat w/out worrying about getting soaked through.
It makes sense for skiing I guess, but I just wanted to point out that in other situations if you only need waterproof pants when you stop you could also just wear really cheap light nonbreathable seamsealed polyurethane laminate pants that you could probably find somewhere for like $20 or less. You'll probably be more comfortable when you're actually moving and not wearing them than if you were wearing expensive waterproof breathable pants.

Edit: This thread seems to be advocating $500 dead bird gear lately which I'm sure is great if you have the money to blow, but I really don't think you need it.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 27, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mystes posted:

Edit: This thread seems to be advocating $500 dead bird gear lately which I'm sure is great if you have the money to blow, but I really don't think you need it.
Dead bird gear is worth it for the patterning in some cases, but I certainly wouldn't advise all of their stuff.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Yeah, for x-country a good pair of leggings and something to sit on are probably all you need. For downhill/touring you're almost surely going to be a lot more aggressive. Side-vents are almost standard now and that's where most of the temperature control will come from.

Flylow makes good pants, too, and you're a lot more likely to find them on clearance since it's less of a big-name. I tour in their bibs and I know several people with the Stash or Magnum BC as their touring pants. They don't use GoreTex, but they're still fantastic. I can't get excited about their coats though. The reason I didn't mention them earlier is because I thought you wanted more of a pure mountaineering pant.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What's the preferred DWR treatment? I decided to stick with my old Gore Windstopper softshell, but it's in serious need of a reapplication.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Josh Lyman posted:

What's the preferred DWR treatment? I decided to stick with my old Gore Windstopper softshell, but it's in serious need of a reapplication.

I use Granger's XT Waterproofer, but mostly because someone at REI recommended it to me. I'd already dont some reading on my own and it was one of the ones I was looking at so it was more just that they confirmed it as a good one.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I've used Granger's and Nikwax and both attained *great success*

Watch the instructions though. Usually you want to wash (double rinse) -> apply DWR -> tumble dry mid.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Josh Lyman posted:

I use Granger's XT Waterproofer, but mostly because someone at REI recommended it to me. I'd already dont some reading on my own and it was one of the ones I was looking at so it was more just that they confirmed it as a good one.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

REI has Granger for $3 cheaper than Amazon so I tried to pick some up just now, but even though they sell it on their site, they don't sell it in store. :wtc:

Amazon it is. :negative:

Zen Punk
Dec 26, 2005

interfaced
Are there any Android GPS navigation apps anyone thinks are better than backcountry navigator? I'm wondering what other apps I might want to check out before I go ahead and buy BCN Pro.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Zen Punk posted:

Are there any Android GPS navigation apps anyone thinks are better than backcountry navigator? I'm wondering what other apps I might want to check out before I go ahead and buy BCN Pro.

I used to use MapDroyd and it worked well when I had a gps signal

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Not sure if these have come up in this thread, but if you're considering a Sawyer Squeeze filter system, plan on bringing along a widemouth "dirty" container to actually fill at your water source and pour into the Sawyer dirty reservoir. I took my new Sawyer backpacking this weekend and the narrow-mouth containers were virtually impossible to fill from a still lake, and not much better in a creek.

I'm glad I had a spare Gatorade bottle with me. Other than that, it's a nice compact system that filters pretty quickly.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Sorry I should have phrased it better, while the Sawyer is a cool idea and I think perfect for day hikes, I prefer the Platypus gravity system for longer trips.

http://www.rei.com/product/813799/platypus-gravityworks-water-filter

You can get away with buying just the filter for $50 and connect it between a dirty and clean reservoir.

I cant even begin to describe how amazing it was to use a gravity system on this past trip. Everything worked perfectly, super easy to do, and it gave us all kinds of time to do other things than pump/filter water. Might possibly have been the best $100 I've ever spent on anything backpacking related.

Verman fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 28, 2013

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

I thought you could just use it with any water bottles or any platypus http://stateoftactical.com/filter-water-easily-with-the-lightweight-and-simple-sawyer-squeeze/

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

I've used and really liked a Platypus gravity system, but it was overkill for a solo trip where I was trying to keep weight and pack bulk down. I didn't need 4 liter bags and didn't want to store all the hose. I was hoping the Sawyer would be a better solution. And with a wide-mouth bottle, I guess it is.

As for using the Sawyer with any water bottles, the narrow throat of a platypus bottle is still a problem for filling. I didn't have a regular stiff-sided bottle with me to try.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MMD3 posted:

evil_bunnY posted:

I've used Granger's and Nikwax and both attained *great success*

Watch the instructions though. Usually you want to wash (double rinse) -> apply DWR -> tumble dry mid.
I treated my softshell and a pair of rain pants. The rain pants, even after the spin cycle, had soaked up enough water that it was dripping when I pulled it out of the washer. The softshell did a bit better and was only damp. I probably used way too much Granger's on my softshell (there were microbeads of liquid on the outside toward the end), but I suppose it's better to be overly thorough. Washed with liquid hand soap, extra rinse, doused with Granger XT, then into the dryer on low (mine only has low/medium).

In any case, the Granger's really worked! However, at $15 for 9oz, it's certainly not cheap. I might give the Nikwax a try next time since it's $30 for a 34oz bottle on Amazon.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Thursday and Friday I went on my very first overnight backpack! I did 17.5 miles in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness in Adirondack Park, summiting Pharaoh Mountain and staying (not really sleeping) at the Watch Rock campsite on Pharaoh Lake. It was a laughable tale of unpreparedness, dehydration, and poor fitness, but I learned some basic lessons, and I'll be sure not to repeat certain mistakes. And now I get to look through the pictures and start remembering the awesome stuff instead of the pain, the whining, and the sleeplessness.

Pharaoh Mountain was probably my toughest climb so far, something you fit folks out west would laugh at. I started just this side of the Paradox Lake, center right. It was about 6.5 miles from trailhead to summit.

This was the best view I've seen east of the Rockies, and totally worth the effort.

It began to sprinkle and I heard the faint sound of thunder while on the summit, so sadly I couldn't avail myself of the lovely (and legal!) campsite there.

After a couple years of hiking only in southern New York and vicinity, Pharaoh Lake looked to me like the setting for a fairy tale.

It was a rough night, but someday (when I'm better prepared and have actual gear and maybe a buddy along) I'd like to try this overnight thing again.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Can anyone give me some advice on how to clean up a katadyn filter post-trip for storage? I just used mine for the first time yesterday and want to make sure I clean it properly.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

What I do is: backwash it, then filter a very, very, very weak bleach solution through it (like 1/4 tsp in a gallon), rinse it with clean water and let it air dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I went to Ecola Park. It had just rained and four miles of the trail was literally a wet, ankle-deep mud pit. It took four hours to go through it.

Otherwise a nice place.