Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Levitate posted:

It was really warm for the season so it didn't test the lower limits or anything, but I was drat warm up top. My feet felt a little weird...not cold but cooler than other stuff? Maybe I just have bad circulation cuz it felt like that regardless of my position. I'll have to experiment with it, play with moving the down from baffle to baffle, play with the straps some more, etc.

I did find that I need to figure out a pillow that works better for me cuz I spend too much time trying to get my head comfortable
I struggled with pillows for a long time, bought all kinds of different inflatable/compressible things, until someone said "stuff your fleece inside it's sleeve."

It's not the Hilton, but it's as close to perfect as I'm gonna get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
What if I need to wear my fleece :ohdear:

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Thanks for the responses guys, I'll check those models out. In the meantime I'll just clip my Jetbeam to a hat. :v:

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Levitate posted:

I did find that I need to figure out a pillow that works better for me cuz I spend too much time trying to get my head comfortable

Cut a water wing so it lays flat instead of as a circle, and put it in a stuff sack or spare clothing.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I pack my toilet stuff in a little flannel sack, and stuff any clothes I don't happen to be wearing into it for a pillow. Even if I'm layering up,I can usually scrounge enough volume of cloth to make an okay pillow.

Chroisman
Mar 27, 2010

yellowjournalism posted:

What headlamps (and flashlights) do you guys use? I'm looking at Fenix lights right now but also hear good stuff about Zebralight, though they don't offer models as cheap as some of the Fenixes.

I could've sworn there was a flashlight thread somewhere, possibly on TFR, but I can't find it any more.

I can't speak to headlamps (actually looking for one myself right now as well), but my flashlight is the Four Sevens Quark QT2A. It's not too big, has a bunch of different modes (inc. strobe, beacon, SOS), you can program two settings for when the head is tight and loose, and all Four Sevens lights have 10 year warranty. I've been really happy with it so far and the brightest mode throws incredibly far (even though it drains the battery pretty quick).

My little keychain backup light is a Fenix E05. Very reliable, and it's only as long as a key so it doesn't really add bulk to what's already on my keyring.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Princeton tec remix for me. It was decently priced and its been amazing the last few years. 100 lumens, 4 modes (dim red led high/low) (bright white high/low). Takes 3 AAA batteries and lasts forever.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah I've normally used my clothes and stuff sack for a pillow and even tried my dads exped pillow, just doesn't work great for me. I'm really picky about pillows apparently

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

yellowjournalism posted:

What headlamps (and flashlights) do you guys use? I'm looking at Fenix lights right now but also hear good stuff about Zebralight, though they don't offer models as cheap as some of the Fenixes.

I could've sworn there was a flashlight thread somewhere, possibly on TFR, but I can't find it any more.

TFR had one, and there was probably one on GBS, but those always turn into nerds dick-waving their million-lumen self-defense flashlights. The three most popular headlamp companies (assuming you don't want a full-power caving light) are Petzl, Black Diamond, and Princeton Tec. Personally, my top choice for day-to-day use is the BD ReVolt, but just look at what you like in terms of features.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
I finally got around to posting some photos from various Adirondack (Upstate NY) high peak hikes from this summer:

I'm jealous of you guys out west that have dozens of crazy-looking, tall, rocky mountains to hike... but I guess our short green mountains are ok, too.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Gambl0r posted:

I finally got around to posting some photos from various Adirondack (Upstate NY) high peak hikes from this summer:

I'm jealous of you guys out west that have dozens of crazy-looking, tall, rocky mountains to hike... but I guess our short green mountains are ok, too.

Third photo is fantastic.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

So my feet sweat. A lot.

I typically wear merino wool socks when hiking. They keep my feet cool and I keep an extra pair in my pack to switch out. This doesn't seem to keep my feet from getting kinda macerated on the bottom, though. The majority of it happens on the pad of my foot, right below my toes. Any suggestions on how to better my feet?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Gambl0r posted:

At least you have some terrain. Chicago is flat and lifeless mountain wise. I have to fly or drive 8 hours to get to more interesting spots.

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

So my feet sweat. A lot.

I typically wear merino wool socks when hiking. They keep my feet cool and I keep an extra pair in my pack to switch out. This doesn't seem to keep my feet from getting kinda macerated on the bottom, though. The majority of it happens on the pad of my foot, right below my toes. Any suggestions on how to better my feet?

More breathable shoes/boots? What are you hiking in now?

Chroisman
Mar 27, 2010
Does anyone have any advice on what to do with hiking packs when checking them in to airline companies? I'm hiking overseas and depending on how heavy my pack is I might need to check it in (haven't fully assembled all my gear yet so I haven't had a chance to weigh it). I'm just concerned about things like loose straps, bag security (do I just padlock every conceivable zipper?) etc.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Chroisman posted:

Does anyone have any advice on what to do with hiking packs when checking them in to airline companies? I'm hiking overseas and depending on how heavy my pack is I might need to check it in (haven't fully assembled all my gear yet so I haven't had a chance to weigh it). I'm just concerned about things like loose straps, bag security (do I just padlock every conceivable zipper?) etc.

So from personal experience, the straps and everything can easily get tangled in the conveyors and such. Tie them up or tuck them places if you can to decrease the chance of them getting caught on something or ripping a hole in your bag. Most places actually supply large plastic bags to keep anything from falling out. I loosen my hip belt and wrap it around the back of my pack.

I actually like to fly with my backpack in a large clear plastic bag or a large nylon duffel. Military style duffel bags also work well for keeping everything in good shape. I've seen some baggage handlers take extra care with hiking packs and large gear, and Ive seen other baggage handlers treat my stuff like a bag of trash.

Chroisman
Mar 27, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I also just 5 minutes ago learned about the existence of tote covers for backpacks (e.g. http://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/osprey-airporter-medium-transit-backpack-tote-cover/OSP0293), do you reckon that would be a good idea, or is that just overkill?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Chroisman posted:

Thanks for the advice. I also just 5 minutes ago learned about the existence of tote covers for backpacks (e.g. http://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/osprey-airporter-medium-transit-backpack-tote-cover/OSP0293), do you reckon that would be a good idea, or is that just overkill?

Use one of the clear plastic bags provided by the airline. The one you linked isn't free, and it's an extra pound to carry around with you when you're hiking.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

So my feet sweat. A lot.

Give thin liner socks a try if you haven't already. I have very sweaty feet as well and they help keep my feet from getting water logged and avoiding the related lousy consequences even in clunky barely-vented boots. I don't even day hike without them.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

So my feet sweat. A lot.

Do you take your shoes off when you stop for a break? Doing that, using mesh running shoes, and using thin merino wool socks will help keep your feet dry throughout the day.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Thin breathable socks and lose the "waterproof" shoes/boots if you're wearing those.

When I'm hiking in snow my feet of course get wet from sweat; fresh socks at night and maybe some balm on them takes care of that and they're good to go the next day. That's a good tactic for not-snow conditions too.

omgmofohomolol
Apr 27, 2009

Tender Pervert,
Queerly Swampy.

alnilam posted:

Someone was posting here recently about a lovely park that was either almost or entirely in transit range of NYC. Remind me please?

It was me! As Time Cowboy noted to get to Harriman State Park I took NJ Transit from NYPenn to Secaucus, transferred to the Port Jervis line and got off at Tuxedo where the trailhead is down the road from the station. Off the top of my head the train fare was around $40 for two, and it only took an hour to get there, but trains on that line run slow on the return so we had to wait until 11pm to get a train back to NYC (apparently there's a bus that leaves sooner, same price as the train).

There's a ton of hiking available without a car from NYC; here's the public transit link from the NYNJ Trail Conference I'm using to plan my hikes.
Also, AMC's Best Day Hikes From NYC is a pretty good book that has a ton of hikes nearby.

Edit: if you're in NYC you should probably just go into REI and get the NYNJTC maps of Harriman which have a bunch of info (not to mention, you know, all of the trails). The new edition just came out I think, which of course happened only a couple of months after I bought the "old" ones. :negative:

omgmofohomolol fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 8, 2013

omgmofohomolol
Apr 27, 2009

Tender Pervert,
Queerly Swampy.

Time Cowboy posted:

It was a rough night, but someday (when I'm better prepared and have actual gear and maybe a buddy along) I'd like to try this overnight thing again.

All these pictures are great, but I am sooo jealous I couldn't just sit and watch the fog roll in over that lake -- you're totally right that it seems like another world. Congratulations on your first overnight!

Gambl0r posted:

The fog on this one is great too; what trail was it? If I ever save enough to splurge on a car my goal is to go to at least an Adirondack high peak or two.

omgmofohomolol fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 8, 2013

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Took a day hike up Saddle Mountain on the Oregon coast yesterday, good thigh burner

the iPhone panos don't show it very well but in the second one you could see from Tilamook head (Ecola state park) to Seaside, to Astoria, across the Columbia River into Washington, and then it was a clear enough day that we could see Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Baker, and Mt Hood.

great day to be hiking!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Business of Ferrets posted:

Use one of the clear plastic bags provided by the airline. The one you linked isn't free, and it's an extra pound to carry around with you when you're hiking.

Word to the wise: some US carriers do not provide these bags or even know what they are.

Every European airline I've ever flown has insisted that I put my backpack in a free giant clear plastic bag that they give me, which I am very happy to oblige. Every US airline I've flown with a checked backpack, I've asked for "one of those giant bags" at the baggage check, and they've had no idea what I was talking about. One of those times, they asked around if anyone knew what I meant, and ended up borrowing one from the neighboring Lufthansa desk :lol:

Point is, might want to bring your own bag. Large garbage bags are helpful for backpacking anyway, so you can use it over again when you get there.

omgmofohomolol posted:

It was me! As Time Cowboy noted to get to Harriman State Park I took NJ Transit from NYPenn to Secaucus, transferred to the Port Jervis line and got off at Tuxedo where the trailhead is down the road from the station. Off the top of my head the train fare was around $40 for two, and it only took an hour to get there, but trains on that line run slow on the return so we had to wait until 11pm to get a train back to NYC (apparently there's a bus that leaves sooner, same price as the train).

There's a ton of hiking available without a car from NYC; here's the public transit link from the NYNJ Trail Conference I'm using to plan my hikes.
Also, AMC's Best Day Hikes From NYC is a pretty good book that has a ton of hikes nearby.

Edit: if you're in NYC you should probably just go into REI and get the NYNJTC maps of Harriman which have a bunch of info (not to mention, you know, all of the trails). The new edition just came out I think, which of course happened only a couple of months after I bought the "old" ones. :negative:

Thanks! Very helpful. I'm taking a week-long trip to NYC this October with a friend, and I was thinking a day hike would be fun in the middle.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Colorado goons! Can anyone recommend a good overnight backpacking route in RMNP for me, with a permit still available or walk-up permits the day of? I am going to Denver for a work week and would like to stay the weekend checking out the park.

I guess around 8 miles per day? Don't really care.. I can certainly handle longer as well. And epic majestic views are a plus, this is my first time in Colorado.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Nifty posted:

Colorado goons! Can anyone recommend a good overnight backpacking route in RMNP for me, with a permit still available or walk-up permits the day of? I am going to Denver for a work week and would like to stay the weekend checking out the park.

I guess around 8 miles per day? Don't really care.. I can certainly handle longer as well. And epic majestic views are a plus, this is my first time in Colorado.

I would hike to lion or thunder lake in wild basin. We just returned for a day hike there and it's incredible.

i_heart_ponies
Oct 16, 2005

because I love feces

Levitate posted:

What if I need to wear my fleece :ohdear:

Buy a down sweater and use the weight savings to justify carrying a travel pillow.

So my feet sweat. A lot.

As JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted above, ditch the waterproof boots / shoes. You don't need them. Seriously. Your feet are made of leather and inherently waterproof. You might also want to move to a shoe with a lower drop from heel to toe (doesn't stretch the fat pad out as much across the pad of your feet, giving you a bit more natural cushioning) or try a lacing trick to hold your heel more securely back into the heel cup to eliminate any kind of front to back sliding motion. Post your boots and I can give you specific suggestions.

Since we talking 'bout shoes: the shoes below have been magic for my feet this summer. I call them my "hiking slippers". Between both pair I have been up seven 14ers and logged well over 400 trail miles in all kinds of terrain (rocks, mud, willows, pine duff, scree, etc.) without so much as a hotspot. The mesh is so light and breathable that I can come back from a trail run, take my shoes off and walk on concrete without leaving a sweaty footprint. I'm pulling the trigger on my third pair this Friday - not that the others are even close to being retired; I just love them that much. Zero drop, 6mm midsole, full length rock pad, a Vibram outsole with a braking heel and they only weigh 8oz each.

BONUS PHOTOS:
(It's been a fun summer)

Mt. Democrat's summit, just after sunrise - Alma, CO

Kite Lake Campground, Alma, CO

The summit of Mt. Lincoln.

Scouting the 3rd class east ridge of Bierstadt, the hardest route up Colorado's wimpiest 14er.

A better look at the full east ridge.

Guanella Pass Trailhead at 11am. This is why you start your 14ers at 6am folks. We passed sooooo many people just getting started when we were almost back to the parking lot. They were hiking into that... which included thunder so violent that it was setting off car alarms.

i_heart_ponies fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 10, 2013

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Ropes4u posted:

I would hike to lion or thunder lake in wild basin. We just returned for a day hike there and it's incredible.

Seconding this. It was amazing and its usually pretty available. I was just there a month ago.

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI

yellowjournalism posted:

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll check those models out. In the meantime I'll just clip my Jetbeam to a hat. :v:

Late response but I do love me some torches.

After a bit of trial and error, I've concluded my Zebralight is the best. I've got a number of other torches, including Fenix and Surefire, but the Zebralight wins for having a headband, being bright but variable, and using AA batteries (I use rechargeable eneloops). I took this and my Surefire E1L Outdoorsman on my last hike and preferred the Zebralight. I'll also take a little photon or nite-ize or something to hang in the tent.

Anyway, for content, I did the same hike I did a few months ago on the weekend in Kosciuszko NP out to one of the high country huts. This was a postponed attempt to do a snow-shoe trip, but there was basically no snow. Drove past Thredbo and all the runs appeared to end in mud :australia:

Was still good, better weather and I lugged an SLR along and pointed it at the sky at night.

Ended up being quite a mild night, so I pitched my tent with just the groundsheet and fly, and pulled the fly halfway back over the frame so it was more like a tarp and I could look up at the sky. I want to do it more in summer but I am kinda concerned a snake might decided to spoon with me, which I'm reasonably sure is a pretty paranoid thought.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Whenever I've gone backpacking in the Grand Canyon, I've just brought a sleeping bag and ground cloth (tarp) to sleep on, and always been vaguely nervous I'm going to end up cuddling with a scorpion at night or something...

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Truth. My biggest reason for carrying a tent is to keep mosquitoes from buzzing by my ears. Even though I have a bugnet for my head/face, the sound will keep me awake if I sleep outside.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

I woke up with a scorpion under my ground cloth once. I took a photo of it and later looked it up, only to discover that its sting isn't even as bad as a bee (according to wikipedia). It never even tried to sting me, though.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I guess a tarp, ground cloth, and bug net would take care of all my worries, but that's a good chunk of change to replace a tent I'm already happy with and adds 12 ounces.

Hopefully I can try it out someday.

Is there not some sort of huge A-frame tarp that has a big net built into the open ends and an integrated ground cloth? Then you get the ventilation and space of a tarp, and the protection of a traditional tent. You could just make the netting and floor baggy so you can still pitch the tent at a variety of angles. The increased ventilation/no more condensation is more appealing to me than the weight savings, really, when it comes to tarps and all that.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I was wondering how comfortable a tarp shelter is verses an actual real tent. I haven't built up much strength yet, so I'm trying to save as much weight as possible. I don't intend to backpack until next (late) spring since I'd be backpacking in the Cascade Mountains, so I'd probably only be using the tent in good weather or a light rain. My friend seems to think I'd be better off just carrying the extra weight and get a real tent. Trouble is I'm doing this on a budget, which is another reason the tarp has appealed to me. There's no horrible poisonous things that crawl on the ground where I live that I'd be worried about interacting with. Mostly just black bears, cougars, and mosquitoes.

My tarp-pitch of choice is a pyramid with a hiking stick/trekking pole holding it up. The front entry is small enough I could jam my backpack in it to prevent the weather from getting in. My tarp is the cheap blue kind that's 8x10, along with a 1mil plastic painters cloth as a groundcloth, 8 tent stakes, and reflective guyline. I might get a space blanket to glue to one side of the tarp to better reflect heat.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I guess a tarp, ground cloth, and bug net would take care of all my worries, but that's a good chunk of change to replace a tent I'm already happy with and adds 12 ounces.

Hopefully I can try it out someday.

Is there not some sort of huge A-frame tarp that has a big net built into the open ends and an integrated ground cloth? Then you get the ventilation and space of a tarp, and the protection of a traditional tent. You could just make the netting and floor baggy so you can still pitch the tent at a variety of angles. The increased ventilation/no more condensation is more appealing to me than the weight savings, really, when it comes to tarps and all that.

Look up Henry Shires tarptent. That are exactly that.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

I'm going to have a weekend to myself in Seattle while on a business trip, but no car. Any Seattle Goons able to recommend a good day hike I can get to on public transit?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

On the ultralight topic, I finally made one of those fancy feast can stoves.

I have seen the light. It's awesome.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Don't forget to make a windscreen.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

I keep wanting to make one, and save some weight over my Jetboil, but then I look at water boiling times at my altitudes and impatience wins every time. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

You got somewhere you need to be?