Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Can someone recommend a Camelbak or similar? Until now, I’ve been using a drawstring gym bag with 1L water bottles for hiking and festivals, but the inside pocket tore off during my last trip and the shoulder “straps” aren’t great when I’m carrying more stuff.

My main concern is how small it can pack down since I try to avoid checking bags when I travel. The nylon drawstring bag takes up basically no space in my carry-on and every Camelbak I’ve seen is substantially bulkier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
A lot of hiking backpacks have space for a camelbak bladder and tube, which might be the best option for you if you already have a bag you like.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Josh Lyman posted:

Can someone recommend a Camelbak or similar? Until now, I’ve been using a drawstring gym bag with 1L water bottles for hiking and festivals, but the inside pocket tore off during my last trip and the shoulder “straps” aren’t great when I’m carrying more stuff.

My main concern is how small it can pack down since I try to avoid checking bags when I travel. The nylon drawstring bag takes up basically no space in my carry-on and every Camelbak I’ve seen is substantially bulkier.

I just got this Nathan vest for $20 (clearance) at Walmart of all places to replace my old Nathan. It packs down flat and holds a deceptive amount. It's smaller than the vest I used for my ultra but it holds more thanks to the strap sleeves and pockets.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nathan-6-Liter-Hydration-Pack-w-Bladder-Black-Marigold-OSFA/2565570800?from=/search

Aside from that specific one, any Nathan vest would be good. My old worn out one was great too.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The osprey daylite pack packs down incredibly small but doesn't have a compartment for a reservoir. The shoulder strap (and waistband) are definitely better than nylon cords.

IMO it's not worth $65 retail though, I got mine for less than half that

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

alnilam posted:

My fav birk socks, aesthetically speaking, are olive colored darn tough hikers. Looks nice with the leather. But if i ever buy any more socks they will probably be loud and ridiculous so i can really lean into the "yes i am rocking birkensocks" aesthetic
I have a pair of beer mug socks with realistic 3D handle that I wear with my birks maybe once a year but it gets some good reactions.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Thanks for the recs. Amazon has the last gen 3L Camelbak Mule for $92 so I grabbed it: https://www.amazon.com/M-U-L-Mountain-Biking-Hydration-Pack/dp/B07WKNZZQR/ It has the tube magnet and Reddit seems to think it's a great size for water capacity and storage space without being too big.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Looks like a great bag, enjoy!

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Went up a few benchmarks in Storm Canyon at Anza Borrego Desert State Park on Thursday, saw no one at all. The weather has been from low 60s to mid 70s this month and not too much wind up top.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

The first saddle I drove to had an avalanche warning so I ended up going to the south fork of eagle river valley. The switchbacks were almost drifted over so I went up the old steep trail on my snowshoes. This is where the heel elevators saved me from any ankle discomfort at all, and I never slipped thanks to the grip from the cleats and frame. Had to turn around after just a mile though, there was too much wind on the shoulder above the saddle and I couldn’t see it being any better on the completely exposed ridge

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

edit n/m

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 29, 2024

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Just trying to get some thoughts and ideas here. I mostly do day hikes in south eastern PA, so big rocks, trees, lots of water. I have a pair of five fingers that I used for many years that now need to be replaced. They were the older model of their outdoor, Trek or something I think? I really enjoyed hiking in them even though they are goofy looking, they suited my needs. I am not sure if I should get another pair, or try something different. I would probably go with another minimalist shoe, but something like a trail runner might work better. Kinda hard to know without dropping 100+ bucks on something I might not like. I was eyeing up the V-Trail https://www.amazon.com/Vibram-Trail...C61&sr=8-4&th=1

This is my backyard, so I can just go right across the creek and hike around for a few hours:

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Think I'm gonna try to summit St Helens in a month (May 4th). Figure there's some chance I'll need to cancel if weather is bad but its getting to the point where weekend slots are filling up rapidly and it would be nice if I could get this done and have an idea of what I'm in for before I need to think about locking in a date for Adams or guided Baker.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Did a loop that hit up Pyramid Peak, Marble Peak, and Rosa Point over the weekend. The goal was to also bag Mile High Mountain but I was gassed at Rosa Point so to add another 1100ft over four miles after going up 4700ft was not appealing.

Never met the guy but Steve Fausset has been the desert peak muse for my friends and I, his name is on a bunch of the registers back to the 90s, so it was sad but fitting to find out he passed on this way.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Basin and range is my new addiction, it just looks so cool to be on top and seeing layers of plains and ridgelines all the way to the horizon. Especially near sunset or sunrise, the layers look even cooler.

Though looking it up it appears that hike is apparently just barely outside the "official" boundaries, but I'll still count it.

I get to drive Nevada next month and I got hikes/camps picked specifically to maximize basin and range witnessing.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ready for my AT thru hike plz let me know if I forgot anything

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Where's the AR15?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Ready for my AT thru hike plz let me know if I forgot anything

The boots on the bed is loving killing me.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

The boots on the bed is loving killing me.

They have never been on a trail.

I found his insta and he is STRUGGLING

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Every few years I go back and read that one goon's manic attempt at a hike across the US. This guy at least knows that you have to use a backpack. The radio is truly insane though.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Wait you mean that isn't a joke? I thought it was satire.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

that's what you get for buying mountain house.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Are you gonna post screen shots or...?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5gf2LpOGaY/

I like the comments suggesting he add a microwave for hot food :lol:

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 11, 2024

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

armorer posted:

Wait you mean that isn't a joke? I thought it was satire.

Oh no he is posting on insta and showing how he is building crosses at campsites and poo poo, meanwhile his comments are begging him to get off the trail and get good gear because he is clearly in danger

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

He'll be fine. He hasn't made it anywhere remote. I'm up in that area all the time, and it's always crowded this time of year.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Past coworker made it a month and change in, but got a combo of medical stuff and had to bail. He prepared so well, but if I remember correctly, it was knee issues, feet raw, and GI stuff.

I have my first hike of the year tomorrow, starting reasonable with a 7.5 mile. Did all the vacation, etc calculations and I have just about 80 hours of PTO unallocated. I do want to do thru hiking for at least a stretch of the Ice Age Trail (my local trail). Last year absolutely sucked with air quality in the Midwest, and I hid in the basement with a HEPA filter for like 2 months. The 15lbs I gained want me back out on the trail!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

That’s a giant power bank, not a radio

Wtf

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

GC (1 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (2 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (3 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (4 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (5 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (6 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (7 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (8 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

GC (9 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

grandcanyon (1 of 1)-2 by david childers, on Flickr

GC (11 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

3rd Grand Canyon trip, this time I took my full camera/lens setup that weighed more than my pack including water. This was just a day hike rim to river and back, but Bright Angel is closed for water pipe construction so it was down and up South Kaibab. I made great time, starting at 7am and getting back to the sign at 2:30. I didn't waste much time at Phantom Ranch this time; got a lemonade and ate some snacks, cleaned my feet, and got back moving. I previously ran R2R2R in a day and then hiked it with a night's camp at Cottonwood in the corridor, so this was the easiest overall but going up SK without much rest was definitely a struggle and it all caught up to me the next day with cramps and pain. Worth it though, SK is my absolute favorite trail.

I saw some outrageously unprepared people well below the rim, including a woman in dress shoes and long jean skirt carrying only a small 16oz water bottle. I saw a man carrying the largest pack of the day at the Tip Off barely moving, with ~4.5 miles to go to the rim. Wonder how they fared.

Forgot to crosspost this here. I think I've gotten what I want out of the main corridor at this point, next trip will be on some into the less traveled trails in the area.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Well it was either that or a REALLY REALLY long extension cord, so

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Forgot to crosspost this here. I think I've gotten what I want out of the main corridor at this point, next trip will be on some into the less traveled trails in the area.

Beautiful pictures.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Oh my god, in one of the videos he's talking about his morning workout he's trying to do on the trail with rocks and trees :wtf:\

EDIT: and taking 2 hours in the morning to pack up and get moving.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 11, 2024

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh my god, in one of the videos he's talking about his morning workout he's trying to do on the trail with rocks and trees :wtf:

The domino's pizza on a rock made me snort laugh coffee.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

I always love your pictures and these are no exception! Did you happen to capture the eclipse?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Thanks. Not this time, back in 17 I had a perfect view of it surrounded by cows and turkeys, that was a great experience. Shot a decent photo of it with the pretty short lens I had with me at the time:

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Bottom Liner posted:

Ooof gorgeous! I just did a backpacking trip there last October, it’s one of the best things I’ve ever done in my life. We ate at phantom so no extra food weight besides snacks. I *loved* being at the bottom and may try for a fall/winter permit this year.

You must be in incredible shape to have done R2R2R in a day! SK is no joke but the trail is absolutely incredible. We took BA up and I’ll never forget the feeling of walking over the Colorado predawn. What other trails were you thinking of doing? R2R is on my list but I wanna take multiple days to just absorb everything.

After seeing the unpreparedness of people on those trails, I’d absolutely love to do PSAR there. I’m an introvert but the outdoors brings out the extrovert in me.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
PSAR folks at the canyon are absolute lifesavers. The ditch is like a magnet for people making bad decisions.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

have you talked about your setup/process anywhere? if no, will you?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

liz posted:

You must be in incredible shape to have done R2R2R in a day! SK is no joke but the trail is absolutely incredible. We took BA up and I’ll never forget the feeling of walking over the Colorado predawn. What other trails were you thinking of doing? R2R is on my list but I wanna take multiple days to just absorb everything.

Hermit and Tanner are my next to see, and would ideally create a few loop options for multiday backcountry stuff. R2R2R is a lot, but I was carrying almost nothing so it was easier than my second trip where I camped below the rim and carried a full pack, even with spreading the effort over multiple days.

The Fool posted:

have you talked about your setup/process anywhere? if no, will you?

Sure, what are you curious about?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Sure, what are you curious about?

Biggest thing is what lens are you using on those big scenery shots. Also, generally curious about what you do in post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

As well as sharpening set to 40/1/25/30

Everything there was taken on the RF 24-70 2.8 on an R6. I did some panoramas for the really wide shots. Editing wise, it's all pretty simple stuff to dial in the contrast and some slight color tweaks. Hard lesson I've had to face lately is that high end glass really makes a big difference in non-optimal conditions. The color and contrast you get out of these lenses is really worth the weight and size difference.