Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

gohuskies posted:

There are far, far more dumb hikers than there are dumb hunters. The problem is that when a hiker is dumb, they're doing stuff like leaving orange peels all over the place, which sucks but is not as bad as what a dumb hunter does, which is shoot someone.

Huh, I saw a ton of orange peels on the trail yesterday. It's like they're everywhere.

I'm trying to break into backpacking without knowing anyone in the area who does (Maryland) and just need a couple more things before I finally just go solo. Any recommendations for best water filter for east coast backpacking? I keep wanting to go into my local shop and ask, but the covid thing is making me go further away from people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Thanks all for the practical advice. I was considering both of the two mentioned, so it looks like that's an easy decision.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Not a Children posted:

Been getting into backpacking with my SO on the east coast over this summer. Worked our way up from 3 -> 5 -> 8 ->10 mile hikes culminating with hiking Old Rag last month.

We're loving the hobby but since it's been summer and we've only been doing day hikes we've been more or less operating on easy mode with daypacks and t-shirts/shorts. We're a little overwhelmed with options for extending hikes and continuing into colder weather, and I was hoping to ask for a little advice in this thread to give us some launching points.

Re: layers/clothing:
- Looks like there is a huge selection of basic stuff at varying price points. $80 for a smartwool base-layer shirt at REI is hard to justify when you can get 2 similar-seeming long-sleeve 32 degree tees at costco. Is there a good resource for researching materials/brands/suppliers for this to sort out what's legit and what I'd regret buying? I'm happy to spend more for quality but I honestly don't know how to evaluate at this point.

Re: Extending hikes
- We're hoping to eventually be up for overnights or entire weekend hikes. Is there a way to ease into that or is the best way to just buy a tent/pad/sleeping bags and a pack to shove all that in and just go for it?

For what it's worth we're in central Maryland, so typically 35-45 degrees on good days when it's cold and the lowest we'd probably hike is just below freezing in the winter. Hoping to get further into the Appalachian trail as we get more experienced.

Another central Marylander here who has also not yet ventured into overnight yet though I've got my mind set on a low stakes option in November.

I've found my smartwool to be more than adequate for nights when car camping and for day hikes/running in freezing temperatures. But I was okay investing in it because I do a lot of outside stuff even in the winter. I've also had the same set for probably a decade now and it's still going. So you could get by with other stuff I'm sure, especially with other layers. But it's kinda nice to have and depend on.

Would love to hear other places you've hiked. Kind of been a home body lately and need inspiration to get out more.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Not a Children posted:

The bigger hikes have all been out west past Frederick - think Annapolis Rock area, or the Maryland Heights/Louden Heights at Harpers Ferry. Sugarloaf was a good challenging hike but I wouldn't go again unless it was a weekday or the offseason, just gets really crowded. Locally, I haven't found anything that would be great for multi-day hikes but Patapsco Valley State Park and Gunpowder Falls State Park made good light day trips and would be great for running/biking. Would love to find more stuff close to Baltimore, driving an hour just to get to the barest of hills for a morning hike isn't the greatest

Rocks state park isn't too far from you and has some gorgeous scenery. I haven't done a lot of hiking there since I went with my toddler and a pregnant friend and they weren't that keen. So can't vouch for the actual trails and hiking.

Patapsco is lovely but I've never felt like I was getting away from people and the urban sprawl even while on the trail which is another problem with the places around Baltimore.

I am super close to the Annapolis Rocks portion of the AT and love to run up there when I get spare moments. And if you're coming this way, Catoctin/Cunningham Falls are wonderful as well.

Sugarloaf and Harper's Ferry get crazy busy as have the the other outdoor areas since the pandemic. So easy to get here from the metro areas.

Thinking I'll have to plan something into Virginia or Pennsylvania to get any big hiking done or else just keep going on the AT. Let me know if you ever want to do something together.