Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Hey there westward-living goons. My wife and I are traveling out to the "Golden circle" area in august for a week and a half of vacation. we have recently gotten into light day-hiking and were wondering which parks in utah/arizona are worth spending a day hiking in. We are definitely going to hike at Zion and bryces, probably will just drive through monument valley, goosenecks, and arches (unless we are missing some great hikes there). I am interested in "The wave", and maybe going to see the delicate arch, but not sure what sort of hike that is.

Are we missing anything really cool and fun out in this area of the US? Any help or suggestions from those of you who live nearby or have spent some time out there would be great. If this question has been posted earlier and I just missed it, sorry for being repetitious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

alnilam posted:

Yeah, I've learned to subtract 25% of urgency/seriousness from most literature about hiking, after being misled too many times by claims of "highly strenuous, dangerous conditions" only to find that they meant "you have to walk on boulders and among trees instead of on a nice trail." I guess they write those things for your casual national park tourist?

This is a question I had after reading some of the simple frommers guidebooks for the midwest national parks. Every park from canyonlands to grand canyon to arches all say "hiking is strenuous and difficult" etc. Its freaking my wife out who gets paranoid about these things and I dont think it is nearly as bad as they might make it out to be.

What are the things we should prepare for if we hike in Utah / Arizona in early August? Presumably water is the biggest thing. Does anyone have any feel for the actual difficulty of most day hikes in that area? (needles, fiery furnace, bryces, zion)

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Very helpful advice and information from everyone in the thread so far, thank you guys!

We have beginner/moderate experience hiking, no more than maybe 6 hour trips at a time, however not in the kind of terrain and climate that we will be encountering in utah. We are east-coast people, hiked a number of the trails in Great Falls and gunpowder falls, and some other small local ones. We do mostly light hiking as exercise and to build up our stamina, so this will be stretching us a little bit. I am usually overzealous and she is usually over-cautious, so we make a good team...

I am excited to spend time out there though, I've wanted to return since I went as a kid in highschool.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I am not sure if it has been covered here or not, but are there any good android apps which let you download trail maps and give you approximate GPS guidance?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Hey all, my wife and I are traveling out to Tetons and Yellowstone the second week of September. neither of us are particularly conditioned or in the best of shape but we enjoy a challenge and appreciate the chance to see things along the less-travelled path (read: hate crowds, love views, love remoteness).

I'm looking for some advice on moderate difficulty day hikes within the parks that are maybe less traveled and unique, compared to the obvious road overlooks and famous sights. Anyone have any experience hiking in September in the Tetons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Sweet, thanks, I will try to catch them. we have some lonely planet guides we plan to use also.

My wife just reiterated to me how she isn't up for long distance or strenuous hiking, which is disappointing to me, but I don't think I will be disappointed in the destination. Can't wait to see this place and get the hell out of Maryland for two weeks.