Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I need a packable waterproof shell, and the Marmot Precip is on sale for fifty bucks most of the time. Anyone have an opinion on it's suitability to keep my upper half dry? Is there a superior alternative that isn't shockingly more expensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I grew up and stopped sleeping in the woods. Which sucks. So I've decided to spend the night in the state park tonight before my trail run tomorrow. I have a "two" man tent and my father in law's old airborne bag. Given that it's going to be above fifty tonight (but rainy) would I be crazy to impulse buy a Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip hammock from REI and an el-cheapo closed cell pad and take the tent along in case I'm too much a maladroit to tie a hammock to some trees with no previous experience? It looks like the hammock comes with both tree straps and a rainfly, so as far as I can tell I shouldn't need anything but that, a pad, my ancient bag, and a sack of clothes for my head. Also a couple of trees, but that's easy. Am I missing anything?

To be clear, I want a hammock for hiking and hopefully eventually fast packing some longer local trails anyway. I doubt I'll be willing to pay for the hyperlite.

Edit: 5'10" & 180 on a good day. Probably 185 today. :(

Loucks fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 11, 2015

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaving work this afternoon and driving straight to the park, so no opportunity to screw around with the hammock and rainfly indoors. I'd just be stopping by REI on my way.

It's not supposed to rain until tonight though, so maybe I'll get lucky!

Loucks
May 21, 2007

That Hennessy hammock was a huge success. Thanks to those who advised. I woke up to a great blue heron making some horrible noise that was most likely his version of cursing at me for invading his fishing space. :3:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Is there some sort of master list of quilt/bag recommendations? I hiked a few miles into a state forest carrying my Expedition hammock and the vintage airborne mummy bag I borrowed from my father in law. Verdict: gently caress huge, heavy bags. I'd rather pay for something reasonably light and compact.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m a giant nerd who lovingly roasts his own beans every few days, and I’ve found that even just portioned and shoved into a sandwich bag with the air squeezed out coffee doesn’t get too stale for a few days. It definitely stays better than anything you’re going to get outside of a speciality coffee shop.

Didn’t know that existed. Will order immediately. I love my Clever Coffee Dripper, but it’s huge.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Darn Tough socks are great. Other than a few pairs of Injinji toe socks that haven’t worn out yet they’re all I wear anymore.

I feel like Costco recommendations aren’t that useful unless you can already justify the annual membership fee by buying your food by the pallet load. Maybe there’s One Weird Trick to get a free membership. I’d love one of those cheap down quilts they’re selling to make a summerweight underquilt, but after adding the membership fee I could order a nice one from a cottage vendor for less.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

armorer posted:

Your link goes to a picture of a dog. Don't wear dog.

Don’t listen to this poster. Dogs are actually really warm. The trick is to let them carry themselves and then take advantage of the warmth at night.

Not great for the daytime though. Too heavy and slobbery.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

While I agree that carrying speakers on the trail is beyond the pale, I don’t think leaving bodies all over the place is sufficiently LNT.

Maybe just find an efficient way to deafen them. Perhaps swift application of stakes to the eardrums?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Just wear headphones you fuckers.

Is this addressed to the speaker-havers or the speaker-haters?

Because if it’s the later you should know that some people like to go into the woods to listen to the woods, not take their electronics for a walk.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’ve been to one, and it was just a free for all with the first couple of dozen people running through the store collecting armloads of stuff, then making huge piles to go through and keeping everything in good condition. I assume eBay was awash in lightly-used REI gear soon after. Don’t plan to try again.

Luckily the ultralight community is full of people who buy way too much expensive gear and then sell it at a discount soon after. Recently got a great deal on a Lunar Solo that way.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

I was just about to mention that! I don't know which is worse, Lyme disease, or stuck being vegan against your will

:rolleyes:

While alpha-gal allergy does cause a reaction to red meat, it doesn’t even force you to become vegetarian since fish and poultry don’t trigger it.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

If you have access to a sewing machine you can order the components from Ripstop By the Roll, otherwise spend a little extra and order something premade from Dutchware. Both can provide guidance wrt weight limits if that was the issue. Otherwise just keep sharp stuff out of it and you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Filling my pack with Fabergé eggs.