Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

In general, what are the options like for hiking and backpacking on a budget? My wife and I are starting out with 1-2 hour hikes while we improve our stamina, but would like to work up to overnight trips. We also happen to have a pretty low income and seeing casual talk of $200 sleeping bags takes the wind out of my sails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Thanks. I have no problem dealing with heavier unless my back gets as hosed up as the rest of me and I'll look around for things others have done. Since we're near a bunch of mountains, Craigslist will hopefully have things.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

What do any desert/high desert hikers among you do for water? There are no streams, arroyos are only in monsoon season and they're dangerous, and the mountains only have snow in the winter through mid spring. I'm still doing really short ones where I can just carry a Gatorade bottle or two full in my bag, but I'm trying to figure out the mechanics of longer treks.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Right now, the 32 degree cooling shirts from Costco are on sale for $5. They also have moisture wicking boxer briefs which I got because I hate swamp crotch.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Either here or in the TFR version of this thread, someone linked to lightweight hoodies that can cover most of a face in response to another poster being worried about skin cancer. My wife is on a medication that makes her really sun sensitive and I think this would be useful for her, but I can't think of the right search terms. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

That's exactly it, thank you!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Wife and I went on a longer hike than we're used to today and my legs are very displeased. My whole body is displeased, really, but mostly my legs.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Do any coats with hoods come in the ultra-portable form where they can be folded into themselves? It's been an oddly wet August here in New Mexico and I hate being caught out in a cold storm without something to keep me dry.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

What's the advantage of having specific hiking pants instead of durable, well broken in jeans?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

If that came across as snarky, I'm sorry. I'm capable of walking around my mountain city these days but that's about all and asked to get a sense of how much they might be worth getting for my longer, most active days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

If possible, people who have recurring foot pain or blisters despite trying multiple things might benefit from seeing a podiatrist if only to be told what Superfeet will help the best. I tried a different type of them this year to save a few bucks but had to go back to the green after getting painful calluses where I have bunions.