Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I fussed with and bought weird pillows for a while until I bought a good down puffy jacket. That thing stuffed into a pocket is THE BEST pillow.

...300 dollar pillow. Of course it's also light and warm.

I had the same problem with using my jacket as others have had with down pillows; it deflated very quickly. I have a Thermarest compressible pillow. It's bulky and kind of heavy, but it's an okay trade-off to me for a good night's sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey
There are a lot of packs that will fit both purposes, just browse online for daypacks. I have a Kelty Redtail that I've used for dayhikes, travel, and school.

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Tent: Eureka! Spitfire - Tent (sleeps 1) [https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EQ8VIS/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_rsw9ub0A0QWCN]

My review: this isn't a freestanding tent, it requires staking to stand up, and I just got it tonight so I haven't played with it much. It weighs as advertised, less with my MSR mini groundhog stakes actually.. Will wrote more after I've spent more time with it.

I have the Spitfire 2, and it's a good tent, especially considering the price and weight. It's held up well in bad weather and has a lot of interior room for a 2-person tent. We can fit in two people, a dog, and most of our poo poo pretty easily. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of vestibule space. I wish it were larger so that I could put my pack/boots under the vestibule when it rained. Other than that, it's great.

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey

Thoren posted:

Request: Can someone recommend me a light cup or two that can handle hot drinks? I am ditching this insulated stainless steel container to save weight.

I have this one from REI. It's reasonably light and cheap.

http://www.rei.com/product/889336/rei-tripod-mug-12-fl-oz-2015-closeout#tab-description

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey
I have really wide feet. Both my hiking boots and trail runners are New Balance. They are the only ones I've found with enough room in the toe box.

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey

Hollismason posted:

Okay, I am confused, what should I get for a Daypack from REI this will only be a 3 day day hike trip with rather short trails 4 to 7 miles and lots of time just spent admiring nature and the park. I do want to invest though in a good solid back pack. Just for Day Trips.

Honestly, any daypack should be alright for what you're describing. Pick the one that seems the most comfortable/that you like the best in the store. We have an old, cheap Kelty Redtail that we've abused the hell out of for these kind of trips, and it's still holding up just fine.

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey

Yooper posted:

Thanks! I should have added some more info.

Looking for ultralight, ~ 3 lb-ish. Price below $400. This'll be my Alaska / Trail running / Isle Royale kind of tent. If all else I'll go with the REI Half-Dome 2. I don't have any experience with Big Agnes stuff, though it definitely looks nice. This'll be my "return to hiking" tent now that I have a five year old. The bivy would be a touch tight with him inside. Ideally it's light enough that I can use it solo too.

Have you looked at Tarptent? The Double Rainbow seems pretty close to what you're looking for.

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey
We have a Eureka Spitfire 2. It's not too heavy (~4 lbs), and it fits my husband, me, our 25 lb dog, and most of our stuff comfortably. It MSRPs in your price range, but you can often find it on sale for about $120.

Cons: not free-standing and teeny-tiny vestibule

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey

Look Sir Droids posted:

I know this has been gone over recently, but I need hammock advice. I think my wife would like one. Not just for hiking purposes, but I'd like it to be packable just in case. I'm looking at the double ENO. I don't want a single so we have plenty of room. Is this the best choice?

I really like my Grand Trunk hammock, and they are usually easier to find on sale. If you live near any Meijer stores, the one near me recently had the Grand Trunk Double for 50% off.

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey
I use MotionX GPS. It does everything you're looking for. I haven't used GAIA, but I think it has more map options built in, and downloads are supposed to be easier. I was mainly won over by the cost difference. MotionX is $2, and GAIA is $20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey

The Midniter posted:

My wife and I spent the weekend in Blowing Rock, NC and made a morning of hiking to Macrae Peak on Grandfather Mountain. It was the most fun hike I've ever done. Anyone in the southeast have any suggestions for other similar hikes? We've done Crowders Mountain and Max Patch as well and are looking for some new spots.

It couldn't have been a more perfect day for it.

Check out Linville Gorge.