Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenixx
Dec 1, 2007

by T. Mascis
Yeah, cool, I've mostly stuck to solo backpacking and hiking in the past but I'd rather go with someone nowadays. (Tons of)Words of advice about and from eastern seaboard hikes, NY (where I reside now), PA down as far south as the Carolina's and Georgia. Hiked all over Europe as well, there are some great hikes to do if you're visiting, recently did the must see stuff in Norway (Troll's Tongue, Bergen - Voss, fjords upon fjords!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenixx
Dec 1, 2007

by T. Mascis

lavaca posted:

I live in Seattle and do most of my hiking (and snowshoeing) in the Cascades.

Climbing up to Sahale Arm by seanexmachina, on Flickr

However, work is sending me to Miami for three months starting in January.

Although I'm familiar with the joys of hiking in hot, humid places, I've never been to Florida. So: what are some good places to hike in South Florida? What are the general precautions I should take in the Everglades/Keys? Would I be better off just taking up cycling or kayaking instead?

Swamp boating is the big thing there I hear, I don't think there's much for hiking considering the territory down there. Listening with eager ears myself to hear otherwise!

Xenixx
Dec 1, 2007

by T. Mascis

Belmont Geoffrion posted:

Does anybody have any advice for estimating how long a thru-hike will take? I'm planning on thru-hiking the Superior Hiking Trail once spring rolls around, but I'm not sure how I should be calculating the amount of time I should be taking to do it. Also, do you guys have any recommendations for good foods/drink additives to take with so that I'll be actually getting a balanced diet while I'm out on the trail?

Depending on you and terrain it can look like this, 20-30 km or ~12-18 miles every 8 hours with a 45lb load. Cut that by half if going thru rough terrain, like snow or dense forest, climbing more than 1200-2000ft in elevation every 2 hours will have diminishing returns. You have to know how fast you walk with a load on, I've got years of practice in the Army so much so that I did a 80km trip and I knew exactly when I would finish, around 1pm on the 4th day, so you can get pretty accurate with it.

Xenixx fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 12, 2013