Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for a good first aid kit for small-group day hikes (1-2 people usually, 4 at the most). I think I read in the last thread that the Adventure Medical Kits are recommended due to the waterproofing; is this still the case or is there a different kit I should look at?

Edit: thought I put this in, but I'm in Colorado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've been looking through my clothing recently and I realized that with spring/summer coming up I'm woefully under-prepaired for outside adventures; hell, the only real winter coat I have is from J-Crew. I just got my REI dividend along with a 20%off one item coupon so I think I'm going to invest in some sort of jacket, but I have no idea where to start. I was up at the REI in Boulder a few weeks ago and there were a ton of different jackets with different features, insulation levels, & price ranges. This'll probably be a dumb question but is anyone able to do a small write-up on different types of jackets? Would a thin rain jacket be a good place to start with layering underneath?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MMD3 posted:

The type of jacket you should pick up first is really going to depend on what the bulk of your outdoor activity is going to consist of. If you don't plan on doing a lot of hiking in the rain then I wouldn't recommend a rain jacket as your first purchase.

Here's a really basic/quickly whipped together run-down of what types of jackets you'll want to have for outdoorsy stuff.

Fleece Jacket - insulating layer for wearing over a base layer (read short or long sleeve shirt). Fleece is great because it's lightweight, has good insulating properties, and is fairly breathable but it won't keep you dry.

Soft Shell - a cross between a fleece and a outer shell, personally I'd rate soft shells as the most versatile piece of outerwear if you could only buy one. They'll have some water repelling properties and some insulating properties and should be highly packable. Great for day hikes and as a piece to layer under or over other layers as you pick up other jackets. I wear my Arc'teryx soft shell over a base layer, or over a down sweater, or under a hardshell.

Hard Shell - the most water repellent layer, these are what are typically known as rain jackets, they'll keep you dry but the downside is they're less breathable than a fleece or soft shell and they won't have much insulating value.

Down Jacket - these can come in lots of weights, the patagonia-popularized down-sweater style is thin, super-lightweight, and highly packable, not your highschool North Face puffy coat. Lots of brands make down jackets in lots of fills, just don't get them wet because they lose insulating properties quickly if you do and take a while to dry out. Great for crisp/cool fall days or for putting on once you've set up camp and are hanging out in your tent or by the fire.

Hope this helps get you started, I'd probably suggest you look into a fleece or soft shell for your first jacket if you don't have those covered already.

This is great information, thank you! It sounds like a soft-shell is probably going to be my first pick-up then; I'm thinking about this: http://www.rei.com/product/844720/rei-carbon-river-jacket-mens

Luckily there's an REI right next to my work so I can go in on my lunch break and check everything out before making a final decision.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just gonna chime in and say thanks again for the softshell recommendation! I ended up going with a non-hooded version (which I may very well regret eventually) but I tried a bunch on and went with the one that fit like a glove when I put it on. For what I'm looking for (3-season jacket, spring/fall cool weather hiking and mild weather every day jacket) this thing is going to be perfect; it was 18 degrees, windy and snowing yesterday and the jacket kept out the snow/wind like a champ while I was shoveling the sidewalk & driveway and regulated my temperature really well. I'm sure eventually I'll have need for a few different types of jackets depending on the activity, but for a starter piece this thing is fantastic already.