Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I've got a five day trip to Big Bend planned in three weeks, and was hoping to get some recommendations from people who have been out there before. Our group of four is going to be staying in Lajitas, and would like to do a day trip hike, an upstream canoe trip to the Santa Elena canyon, and an inner-tube float. The canoe trip depends on the river level, because we've got beginners with us.

Anyone that's been to Big Bend before have recommendations for canoe rentals or guided trips up the river?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Wife and I roadtripped from Dallas to Big Bend to meet my two cousins and a girlfriend from Houston. We stayed in a nice house in Lajitas, right in the middle of the national park and the state park.

There's been a lot of rain lately, so the whole desert is blooming. Red ocotillo flowers everywhere!

We went up the Window trail to the pour-off in the Chisos basin.

And then the Grapevine Hills trail to see Balanced Rock. Looks like a penis?

The next day, we booked a Saddle and Paddle trip through the state park, here we are on the horse trail on the way to Solitario.

On our last day I was pretty tired but the rest of the group was wanting to go up Emory peak. They went and did that, while the wife and I did the easier Santa Elena Canyon trail.

We actually got off easier than them when the sudden thunderstorm rolled through. The canyon was like a windtunnel and there was pea sized hail coming down pretty hard, but they were on the way down Emory peak when it hit them. We got stuck behind flood waters for five hours trying to drive back from the trail head. I was in a car with low clearance so we waited for the water to go down enough to cross.

All in all, great trip and the wife wants to do more outdoorsy stuff. My other cousin (who did not go with us) is getting married in May and we're all going to the wedding in North Carolina, and plan on going up Crowders Mountain.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 17, 2015

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
A kbar could double as a trowel for digging a poo hole.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
My camping/hiking buddy is moving to Sacramento this week, so we're going on our last trip this weekend :(

Palo Duro Canyon State Park!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I'm taking my first multi-night backpacking trip in a month (Yosemite) and I'm wondering how large of a pack I'll need for three days and two nights. My current daypack (35L REI brand) is good for a single night, but will not hold enough gear/food/water for three days and two nights. I've been looking at https://www.rei.com/product/894563/osprey-farpoint-55-travel-pack, but I"m not sure if that'll be enough or is too much.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I was super confused the first time I visited a desert National park (Arches) because they were all over the trails. Sorry trail crews, I knocked some over thinking I was doing good.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
An exofficio boonie hat with a built in bug net if it’s sunny or buggy. Otherwise a variety of trucker hats.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Just got back from Yosemite (second visit) and kicked over a stack of rocks in the Merced river.

Tuolumne Meadows may be my new favorite part of the park. Got to see clear blue skies the day I spent there and then fire smoke rolled in the rest of the trip.

It was a lot less crowded than my last visit (Thurs-Sun before Labor Day 2017) but still pretty busy.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

Northside cabin. Welp... Maybe should have asked advice before getting tickets and a rental. The good news is the rental has a hot tub and is only for 3 days. Guess we will be spending more time indoors... Being a Midwesterner, I didn't think about elevation.

Any idea how Olympia is that time of the year? The remaining 4 days of the trip we are still sorting out. Got a rental with unlimited milage, and I actually like driving.

Olympia is a perfectly fine town, but if you meant Olympic, it’s a great park with a huge amount of variety. I went to the Hoh Rainforest in December when I moved to WA a few years ago. Stayed overnight and slept in the car. Easy hike along the river to see some alien landscape - temperate rainforest is awesome. You could go 12 miles out before hitting any elevation, so it’s not strenuous at all. Saw the Pacific Ocean for the first time on that trip at Ruby Beach - it was breathtaking.

Made a few other day trips over the last two years. Went up to Hurricane Ridge on the last weekend before it closed for the season. Great views of the Strait of Juan de Fuca and Canada from 5200’. Been to Sol Duc Falls and spent some time in the hot springs nearby. There’s tons of trails all around and lots of variety. Bring rain gear if you’re going to the west side.

Check the conditions report - some roads are prone to washouts/slides and end up closing trails and campgrounds. Some trails are on tribal lands that are closed to non-members. If you want to visit and book early because popular campgrounds fill up early especially with attendance getting back to pre-Covid levels of visitors.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Things should be better by Monday. Unfortunate timing, this is the first it’s been smoky all year.