Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
TBH, I only ever use iodine, no filter (or a coffee filter).
It sounds like you may be having contamination issues with untreated water getting into your bottle somehow. If you use any sort of electrolyte powder, that will make such issues worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Smoove J posted:

"Winter is Coming" and I need to learn about traction. I have a pair of microspikes, & I've been using the same pair of red plastic MSR snowshoes for two decades without a hitch, but now I'm thinking about crampons. I don't want any specialty boots and I don't want to climb waterfalls, but I know I'll be on steep icy/windy terrain. So far the snowshoes have gotten me up lots of mountains, but they can't do everything, & recently I've found myself wanting that little bit extra. That being said, ice cleats and snowshoes are amazing things.

What can you guys tell me about crampons? Tomorrow I'm doing Amphitheater Mtn, 16 miles with 6,000ft elevation gain, should be a good one.

You want mountaineering or alpine travel crampons. They're lighter, but their front points aren't suitable for vertical ice.

There are 3 types of attchment systems: automatic, semi auto, and strap. A strap crampon can be attacked to any boot. A semi auto needs a heel ledge, and a fully auto needs both the heel and toe ledges.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

If your boots will take a semi-auto crampon, I would recommend them over a pure strap.

Edit: VVV Doesn't look like it to me, they probably just meant that it's stiff. VVV

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 20, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Is it waste of money for me to look into $100 technical fleece jackets as an city dweller sitting around in cold weather? As far as I can tell, the Patagonia R4 is my warmest option: windproof, 13.5 oz fleece, and mesh lining to reduce static electricity buildup.

It's a great idea, but the R4 is a pretty hideous jacket. I'm seeing it listed from 145ish on-sale (279 MSRP), in that range you can start to find Arcteryx, Icebreaker, Kuhl, Patagonia, and Mammut jackets on-sale/clearance that will perform as well or better and look much nicer.

https://www.bentgate.com/mens-fleece-jackets

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

That type of silly fabric is always ugly - look at how shiny it is, and remember that all those individual fibers that stick out will catch dirt. I remember the Mountain Hardwear Monkey Man Jackets from a few years ago - they were warm as poo poo but the looked tacky as hell.

Compare it to the Covert Cardigan or Skandl Full Zip. They have a knit fleece that has a much more traditional sweater appearance. Or the Aconcagua Jacket or Reactor Jacket, which have a simpler flat fleece.

Edit: if you've been to the store & know what you're getting, then it's your choice. I think it's made from an ugly fabric and has a very boxy-looking cut.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 30, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Puffy jackets will always be much warmer than fleeces, that's just how insulation works: by trapping air. The trick is that they don't really fit under a waterproof layer very well, and will often be very silly looking or have a super boxy cut. Wind resistance varies a lot depending on face fabric (ultralights are often somewhat lacking), but will usually be better than a fleece (excepting hardfleece). That Columbia jacket is incredibly heavy for down, but that's not really technical. I do really like the way it looks, however.

http://www.bentgate.com/mens-down-jackets/browse/orderby/price-low-to-high
http://www.bentgate.com/mens-synthetic-jackets/browse/orderby/price-low-to-high

Of the ones listed in those links, I would think that the Tuner (15 oz) or Aphix (1 lb 0.1 oz) would probably be the most unobtrusive-looking in the city.

EDIT: A lot of technical companies are making city-specific lines nowadays. Also, are you looking for an outer layer jacket or a sweater? What city are you in? And how much insulation do you really want? For reference: I used a crappy store-brand (falls creek) softshell for years in Detroit and never found it insufficient.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 31, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Do you want longer over-the-cuff gauntlets or a shorter style (that could go either way, looks like)? Because that's the main difference. Personally, I prefer over-the-cuff for skiing, since I take them off a lot to play with my phone (I use BD Guide Lobsters).

Edit: I guess the Beta has a thinner lining over the palms? In practice you're unlikely to notice.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 3, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Arc'teryx down is new for this coming Fall, it's probably going to be excellent, but we don't know yet. Their Coreloft synthetic is great stuff.

Edit: I am literally posting this with boxes of new Arc'teryx Fall/winter stuff on the other side of the room. But it hasn't been received into inventory, so I can't start fondling the new down jackets yet.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 12, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I've noticed that some airports are much nicer than others. Denver tend to be jerks about everything. Detroit & Nashville are pretty chill. New York seemed like they just wanted to hurry you through.

Edit: pretty sure I've flown with fuel in my checked luggage within the last year

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Call them Five Fingers. Vibram is a rubber company.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Any recommendation on breathable waterproof pants? I plan on using them for winter camping but if possible in the summer during storms too if at all possible.

Arcteryx or Mammut are the Best. Choice is yours about hardshell or softshell. Really depends on the activity and conditions. I would generally prefer Mammut softshells and Arc hardshells.

The trick can be finding hiking pants instead of ski pants.

Unless you're on a budget, then idk, look at Marmot.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I think there's a bit more competition in jackets. Rab makes good stuff as well. But generally yes.

One thing about Mammut is that there's a very big range in quality between their best stuff and their inexpensive stuff. Arc'terys is just expensive stuff.

The reason those pants are reduced price at REI is because they're clearing out of the previous inventory. Nobody has last year's pants anymore. The current pants are made with a new fabric, and aren't likely to be available marked down anywhere for at least a month.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Yeah, for x-country a good pair of leggings and something to sit on are probably all you need. For downhill/touring you're almost surely going to be a lot more aggressive. Side-vents are almost standard now and that's where most of the temperature control will come from.

Flylow makes good pants, too, and you're a lot more likely to find them on clearance since it's less of a big-name. I tour in their bibs and I know several people with the Stash or Magnum BC as their touring pants. They don't use GoreTex, but they're still fantastic. I can't get excited about their coats though. The reason I didn't mention them earlier is because I thought you wanted more of a pure mountaineering pant.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

yellowjournalism posted:

What headlamps (and flashlights) do you guys use? I'm looking at Fenix lights right now but also hear good stuff about Zebralight, though they don't offer models as cheap as some of the Fenixes.

I could've sworn there was a flashlight thread somewhere, possibly on TFR, but I can't find it any more.

TFR had one, and there was probably one on GBS, but those always turn into nerds dick-waving their million-lumen self-defense flashlights. The three most popular headlamp companies (assuming you don't want a full-power caving light) are Petzl, Black Diamond, and Princeton Tec. Personally, my top choice for day-to-day use is the BD ReVolt, but just look at what you like in terms of features.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Truth. My biggest reason for carrying a tent is to keep mosquitoes from buzzing by my ears. Even though I have a bugnet for my head/face, the sound will keep me awake if I sleep outside.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Merino or poloypro synthetic. I use merino for hiking since I don't like stinking, and synthetic for climbing because it's more durable. Silk doesn't seem to be popular.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

How formal do you need? What's your price range? Do they actually need to be wool?

Wool slacks
Dead Bird
Organic cotton hippie crap that makes your rear end look good
It's not stylish, but man - is it functional
Are you a crazy euro?

Of the above, I'd say the most casual brand is Prana, but it's mostly cotton crap. Maybe their Brion pants? But there are a lot of options in the world.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Outlier & Betabrand look okay. Depends on which city you're in. I wouldn't wear it.

evil_bunnY posted:

Any of you tried the new black diamond apparel? It looks pretty well put together.

It's all softshell or insulation. So that's the first thing, there are no hardshells or true baselayers in the line. No down - all synthetic, I think it's Primaloft, but I forget.
The line as a whole is very ice-climbing oriented. Some of it is good for ski touring, and some of it for fall/winter cragging, but even that stuff would be good to bring for multipitch ice climbing.
They've got these really nice little pocket-within-a-pocket on a lot of the jackets that holds your cell phone very securely.
The softshell pants are very good. Need to think about whether I want them. Somewhat snug, but who wants baggy ski pants for hiking?
Next year, there will probably be twice as many styles. Women's clothes will probably hit sometime in 2015. Also, next year's T-shirts & gloves & hats will be from the same design team, so there will be more uniform cross-line styling.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Dawn Patrol Hybrid Shell. Will be buying one this fall, if they've got the size/color I want.

Sizing tends to be euro - try to go a little big. Sleeves aren't great for people with a positive ape index, I know guys with +3" and they were very unimpressed. The insulation pieces might feel roomy but that's because you're supposed to put them on over your shell when you're belaying.

Your local store should have their first shipment by now. There are some little things that will probably be ironed out next year, but the pricing is very competitive.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

I love Icebreaker. I use their v-necks as day-to-day shirts.

I have 3 of their shirts, and wear them all the time. No-stink 4 evah.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Too skinny, I'm not hipster enough for skinny pants. Even if they are 'in'

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

There's a surprisingly large amount of classroom-time. Bring snacks.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

The Light Eternal posted:

Are you planning on working in the backcountry in some fashion? If not, I would save your money and just do Wilderness First Aid. Much of the stuff in WFR depends on having professional gear which isn't worth the weight for a layperson.

I completely disagree. WFA is nothing but common sense and a couple helpful concepts. WFR is where you're going to get real, useful knowledge. WEMT is the over-extreme end of the spectrum.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

lavaca posted:

I hiked in Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest on Saturday. "Closed" just meant that they weren't servicing the trailheads (BYO toilet paper) or collecting parking fees. Forest roads aren't going to be gated unless they were already gated for some other reason but ranger stations and campgrounds are definitely closed.

That's the difference between a National Park and a National Forest. They're not really allowed to keep you out of the forests. One is a protected recreation area, the other is land being held by the government until it's ready for harvesting.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

In my experience, the bottom straps are used for the tent or the sleeping pad - not the sleeping bag.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Verman posted:

Anyone know of any front/panel loading internal frame packs between 38-50L? I've been looking for a smaller pack for shorter trips as well as traveling because I hate bringing real luggage and I don't check bags unless I have to.

I'm currently looking at a gregory savant and they have 38, 45, and 50ish liter sizes but was curious about any other options. I have a mountainsmith which is front loading and I love it but I need something smaller which they don't really carry.

There are literally a shitload of options. I use a Marmot Drakon 35* as carry-on luggage all the time - climbing packs are often pretty simple front loaders. The Osprey Atmos seems like it would fit as well.

You could step up in price and open up a bunch more options. Not sure what your limit is.

*Edit: I think the Drakon 45 is a better pack, but I'm not sure how it would do on airplanes. Also, it's definitely not as comfortable as a backpacking pack.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 3, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

You should be psyched. This year is already shaping up to be legendary for Colorado ice climbing. EVERYTHING is coming in strong.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Honestly: yes. But try to have a friend teach you for free.

You can't learn ice on your own like you can with sport or trad. You need to learn from someone. If you're lucky, your local gym will have ice-nights where you can dry-tool on the old lovely holds.

Edit: Slackr pants don't have as much stretch and will be more noticeable as outdoors-pants. The Brions are probably more versatile & stealthy. If you're willing to buy jeans, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of my Marmot Pipeline jeans. Pretty good stretch.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 7, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I work at Bentgate in Golden, we have Zions but not Brions - same material but in a the less-casual style. I wear my zions caving, so I'd say they're pretty loving tough.

Any climbing store that doesn't have Zions is shooting themselves in the foot. Kuhl is a little harder to come by.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 7, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I don't know if the Slackr is necessarily burlier. It's one of Kuhl's lighter pants. It may have heavier stitching.

Standing with it & the Zion in front of me, I have to recommend the Prana

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

BeefofAges posted:

Those pants look like they'd be okay for hiking. They are 35% cotton though, and cotton kind of sucks when you start sweating. Do you really need pants, though? I do most of my hiking in shorts or a skirt. If it gets cold I put on thermal leggings. I only wear pants if I'll actually be trudging through snow and encountering cold winds and such.

I'm like the opposite. A nice pair of nylon pants all day.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

We all own Zions because we like the pockets. If we didn't we'd have Brions, which are the casual version you were looking at earlier.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Fat Twitter Man posted:

So I need to get new socks and I'm kind of overwhelmed by the Smartwool product range. I want to get a couple pairs of nice winter socks that I can wear under regular hiking boots and then as long as I'm shopping get whatever ones are best for summer hiking. Can someone tell me what socks they'd recommend?

Buy Darn Tough, not smartwool. They are better-constructed and have a lifetime warranty.
"Cusion" is probably what you want for winter. Unless you are skiing, in which case go ultralight. "Full Cushion" and "Extra Cushion" are usually overkill.
Go no-cushion or mesh for the summer.

Get a height that works for your shoes. Unless you are worried about ticks. Then go for over-the-calf.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 12, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Icebreaker likes to say their socks are the best. They also have a lifetime warranty. But I like Darn Tough better because they're made in 'merica.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

This is a terrible idea.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Chroisman posted:

What's so bad about doubling up? I double up always, regardless of whether I am walking in summer or winter. I've never had a blister when I've doubled up and have only ever got them when I only wore one pair. It could be coincidence but then it would be a huge 8 year, many hundreds of kilometers coincidence.

The problem isn't with doubling up itself - I like to use liner socks for blister prevention. The problem is with wearing two pairs of regular socks instead of a liner and a hiker. When you double up on regular socks, you're going to run into circulation problems, and probably boot-fit problems.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Aluminum gives much better & more uniform heat transfer. Titanium cookware is pretty rare for that reason, and it tends to be much more expensive. Do you really need the weight savings that much?

Moving beyond that, are you sure that neither of those will accept a standard-sized lid? You can probably find something from rubbermaid, ziplock, or tupperware that will match the Evernew 265, which looks to be fairly normal-sized.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Sleeping pads.
There are more pad manufacturers than just ThermARest, Exped makes good stuff, but my personal favorites are the Q-pads from Big Agnes, which get around some of the comfort issues of traditional air-core pads. Of course, $40 to $80 is a ludicrous price range. You're pretty much limited to 3/4 pads and foam sheets at that.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I got my brother the Vars Hoody for this birthday last May, and I don't think he's taken it off since.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a down jacket that isn't sized for a fat man who doesn't go outside? Looking for general cold weather (above freezing, like 40 degrees), not like a mountaineering subzero giant puffy thing.

I swear I try on the Patagonia/South Butt ones and it's DADMODE ENGAGED. "Slim fit" has come to mean "up to 20 lbs overweight" in outdoorswear.

Buy from euro companies or dead bird Acr'teryx Equipment Inc. Marmot still makes some trim-fitting stuff, if you look hard enough.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Where do you live?
Used places will often charge more for shipping, if they ship at all.

Try craigslist for gear. Apparel will be trickier, but I still have to recommend CL, there are people who flip their old stuff & buy new every year.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 3, 2013