Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yes. Marmot has a much more serious outdoor pedigree. They're particularly excellent at down, but also make very good low-end rainwear (for the price). North Face is 'good' but more of a fashion brand.

At the upper end of eithers' range you are probably better off buying from a higher-end company like Arc' or Mammut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Smells *way* less. Seriously, not even on the same planet.

Ed: nanosilver washes out after about ten washes.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

There are merinos with dwr. They're very expensive sweater-jackets. Why you'd want dwr on a T-shirt is beyond me.

And my merino never gets stank, I don't know what your problem is. Though I don't buy the sweaters, only the tees and undies and socks.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Fwiw, Nemo makes 'dog-liners' for most of their tents to protect the floor against claws and make the fabric more comfortable for them.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Thoren posted:

So let's say I wanted to live in a few sets of t-shirts for a long time, rotating them every few days. Would synthetic be a better choice than wool? Point me to some products here, people. :unsmith:

This is wool's ideal usage scenario, and a nightmare for synthetic.

Icebreaker makes really nice tees.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

alnilam posted:

Not really hiking related question:

I generally travel with my pack as my only luggage, don't even own a proper suitcase. Does anyone have experience packing a suit in a backpack? Any tips?

The only thing I've found that works is to wear the suit on the airplane. With a bonus side effect of being treated better by airport staff and security.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Loucks posted:

I need a packable waterproof shell, and the Marmot Precip is on sale for fifty bucks most of the time. Anyone have an opinion on it's suitability to keep my upper half dry? Is there a superior alternative that isn't shockingly more expensive?

Most of the shells in that $90 to 125 price range are pretty similar, and the ones that usually retail for 50 are a lot worse. If it's one of the new precips, definitely get it. If it's the older fabric from three years ago, I'd still go for it.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Sea to Summit is really good

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Optimus Subprime posted:

Does anyone happen to have any recommendations for lightweight fishing gear for backpacking? I am not an experienced fishermen by any means, but I have often looked at bodies of water while camping and been like "you know, fishing right now would be pretty cool". Any good guides to get someone started?

Any good oudoorsman shop, like Cabella's or Bass Pro and even some REIs, should have lighweight fishing gear available.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Powdered alcohol is hitting the shelves this summer and is specifically designed for backcountry use

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

^^^ I'd decant it into a zip lock, but realistically a plastic bottle of Maker's is still better.

mastershakeman posted:

What happens if you just snort it

You get two nosebleeds before a buzz. It's like half an ounce of powder per shot.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

turevidar posted:

What do you all think of self inflating thermarest pads? I use a zlite pad now and I want something with a higher R value for cold weather.

I don't think I want to get a neoair style foamless pad. Too scared of leaks.
Get one. Thermarest prolite or equivalent.

Ggggeeeetttttttttttttt ooooonnnnnnneeeeeee.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Maybe overinflated, sure. But the NeoAir pads are supposed to be ultralight first and foremost, so I'm not surprised you found it a bit narrow.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've seen a lot of one-pot recipes online, but maybe they're better-adapted for steel pots - no way am I lugging cast iron anywhere. With the titanium pots do you think some basic sauteeing is out of the question? It seems like it would also be good for stews and other liquidy food.

Get aluminum instead of titanium? It's the compromise middle ground that does most things well.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

This is pretty much the consensus on Ti cookwear - it's more difficult to cook with, you're more likely to burn your food.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Tsyni posted:

Any recommendations for cheap synthetic long sleeved shirts? Button up or not. Also interested in hearing recommendations on gaiters. I have a decent pair but they up to my knee almost. Looking for something a bit less obtrusive.

Outdoor Research and Black Diamond make the best gaitors.

No personal recs on button up longsleeves, but a lot of the nicest tee's come in a LS version.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Canna Happy posted:

I finished my Arizona trail thru hike on wednesday and I'm now totally bored at home. I'm more than willing to answer questions if anyone is interested.

How often did you fart?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Boo loving hoo. I guess you'll just have to put money into the system like any other industry.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Saint Fu posted:

I too love Prana Zions. I wish they came without a cargo pocket though. I didn't love them for hiking because they don't breathe that well but they're awesome pants for biking around the city, running errands.

Look at the Brion

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

n8r posted:

The light doesn't turn on fully bright - it's just silly how complicated the thing is.

Why do you need it to start at full brightness of you're getting up to pee. Just wasting battery to do it that way.

I'm always turning my lights on and then dimming them down a bunch so it makes me happy that mammut and BD are having them start at low or mid.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I'm a big fan of the victorinox Climber model. Or the Camper of you think the saw is more useful than the scissors. I generally funny ever need more than that. And even then not more than once a season do I use it.

Though when I'm caving I always bring a multitool for the pliers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

They're rigged so both ends are on the ground.