Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I picked up a Talon 44 for overnight and weekend trips, and I love it. I'm in Central FL, hit me up if you wanna get out sometime. I'm doing a day hike in Circle B bar reserve in Lakeland tomorrow. I moved down from NJ about 6 months ago, and really miss hills :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

That was you! Thanks for writing this, I've been looking it over every now and then for weeks now to get ideas on a general packing list for both weekend trips and an eventual Northbound AT trip.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are there any active hiking forums that have sections devoted to regions? I'd like to have a place where I can talk and take pictures about central Florida trails with people who live in the area.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, gear is just an easy topic to talk about between the photography and trip reports, I don't see a problem with it, even if I don't have an REI membership and most stuff posted here is way out of my price range. I have nike trail runners, baggy shorts with deep pockets and under armor tops. What about socks in the summer? Is smartwool best for hot and cold weather or should I just buy the thinnest wicking socks I can find?

I finally ordered the guardian bugnet and a profly tarp for my doublenest eno hammock, gonna try to take it out to kissimmee state park in FL this weekend. Making the best of flat-rear end florida even if the heat and bugs kill me. :woot:

A question about the appalachian trail. How did you get the 4-10 grand to do it in the first place? It'd take a few years to work up that kind of money, for me at least, and when people say "if you're thinking about doing it, just do it." It bugs me. 6000, to go one way comfortably, is not "just do it" money to me :(

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Speleothing posted:

Smartwool isn't that good. Get one of Darn Tough's thinner styles.

We could talk about other stores having sales.

The 1/4 socks look like they would rule, thanks for the recommendation!

I tend to follow the chat in here, do a ton of research and watch youtube videos, then check ebay. I'm mostly just jealous of those of you with a store nearby!

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Got a chance to try out my full hammock setup this weekend at a campground. There were no trees near enough to each other or clear enough between them to hang, but there WAS an old fallen tree that looks like it's been used as a seat and mini-playground near the campfire for a while, with limbs spaced far enough to use!

I sleep on my side, and my butt rested lightly against part of the trunk, but it was a fun hang and a good night's rest!

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Have you ever wanted to hike the AT with a conga line of bears behind you? Eno bacon scented hammock coming soon :toot:

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/blog/introducing-the-bacon-scented-doublenest-hammock/

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tigren posted:

At least we won't have to dig poop holes anymore.

Jetboil Announces Breakthrough BioBoil Camping Stove and Power Recharging Products

Oh my goodness that's even better.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 1, 2014

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Whoops, quote isn't edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Turns out quote is still not edit!