Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Any advice/tips for hiking the Zion narrows? I've read Joe's guide to zion but would love some more first hand experience. My girlfriend and I are looking to go next week.

Just looking to go for a day hike, we'll be wearing our usual hiking shoes (New Balance minimus, non-goretex) each with a 2L camelbak (and extra carby water bottles each) and I'll probably be carrying a dry-pack with anything important in there. We've never used trekking poles or anything but read that they are nice to have at least one, any recommendations on something that would work well without being too pricey since we probably won't get much use out of them. I'm 6'5 and she's 5'4.

Help me not forget anything obvious as this is likely the biggest and most unique hike we've done, normally doing Blackstar Canyon or out near Laguna in Orange County.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Its pouring rain and thunderstorms in Zion which means no hiking for us today. :(

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
We got rained out of Zion but we ended up spending part of the day in the valley of fire on our way back to Vegas and had a blast. What a beautiful place. Even had some standing water by the white domes for my gf who had her heart set on the narrows of Zion.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

HarryPurvis posted:

Did a hike up Waterman Mountain in the San Gabriels this last Saturday. Very little snow, but a system came through on Sunday and Monday that dropped up to 14" in some places.

My girlfriend and I will have to work up to doing stuff like this, that looks awesome. We've been venturing out along the 2, but have been doing day hikes around Switzer Falls since it is only a half hour drive from her place. Hiking along a stream is pretty cool, the trail gets pretty rough when you get into Bear Canyon area, its fun to try and find your way through it.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

HarryPurvis posted:

Switzers is a great hike. And if you're pushing down into Bear Canyon its quite an adventure in trail finding!

If you both are looking to up your hiking game a bit more try Icehouse Canyon out by Mt Baldy. 7 miles round trip if you go up to the saddle and back. 9 miles if you decide to bag Timber Mountain. Probably one of the prettiest hikes in Angeles Forest.

The first time we did Switzers we parked up top and walked down the hill we thought was closed (and my gf is afraid of driving down steep roads) and we ended up going down the wrong trail since they aren't very well marked. Ended up going from Switzer to Red Box and back, which was fun. Second time we did it the right way and ended up about a mile passed the fork in where the two rivers meet from Bear Canyon, and yeah it was fun but we started losing the trail/having to blaze our own which wasn't as much fun since we are pretty novice hikers.

We'll definitely like to push forward further up the 2. This weekend we'll be in San Diego so she wants to go to the Potato Chip, which I've heard can have hour+ wait times to take a picture with due to crowds. I know she'll want to do that. :suicide:

She lives in Little Armenia/Hollywood area, near Vermont and Santa Monica so most of the time we'll drive from there. I live in Orange County so if we go from my place we'll do Crystal Cove or Blackstar or something like that. We'd eventually like to get into camping (out of a car for now), I'd love some info on some cool areas where there are multiple day hikes around one campsite you can park at in the Angeles. We have a weekend campsite booked with a group of friends in Big Bear for the first week of June.

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 26, 2015

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
The girlfriend and I are going to be in San Francisco for the weekend and were interested in getting a hike in one of the days, anyone have any recommendations on fun/cool day hikes that can be done in the area? We won't have access to a car so anything we do would have been be accessed via walking or bus/train. It looks like the 76x is the bus we want to take, as it puts us wherever we want along golden gate park. Any must sees? Looking at yelp reviews for hiking stuff, it looks like the Marin Headlands are the most popular thing to do.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
I bought an ENO doublenest hammock to try out when we go camping next week, just curious how extreme the 400lb limit is and if anyone tested it or gone over it can comment on it. We are probably just a bit over the 400lb limit, maybe 410-415lb combined. I thought I read something about the hang angle can affect the amount of tension on the straps and stuff, but just curious. I've never set up a hammock before. (I got the atlus straps as well).

Otherwise we can take turns using it, my 6'5 rear end would enjoy bigger one either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
My girlfriend and I are looking to plan a trip during her spring break (mid March) and are considering Havasupai & Grand Canyon areas. Any writeups or tips on day trips or single-night trips in those areas? Or alternate plans/ideas in the southwest (we are from SoCal) if you think that these areas will be too cold still in the next month?

We have the basics as far as backpacking gear is concerned but have only either done day trips or camped at a campsite accessible via car.