Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is it waste of money for me to look into $100 technical fleece jackets as an city dweller sitting around in cold weather? As far as I can tell, the Patagonia R4 is my warmest option: windproof, 13.5 oz fleece, and mesh lining to reduce static electricity buildup.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Speleothing posted:

It's a great idea, but the R4 is a pretty hideous jacket. I'm seeing it listed from 145ish on-sale (279 MSRP), in that range you can start to find Arcteryx, Icebreaker, Kuhl, Patagonia, and Mammut jackets on-sale/clearance that will perform as well or better and look much nicer.

https://www.bentgate.com/mens-fleece-jackets
The R4 looks normal to me :confused: though the best I could find in a large was $150, and that's with a 10% coupon.

I can get the Retro-X on clearance for $100 but it's only 7.5oz Synchilla compared to the R4's 13oz Polartec Windbloc, and there's no drawcord on the hem. :wtc:

Ropes4u posted:

It was 80 in colorado today, but minus 2209 degrees in the office, and I rocked my bright orange Patagucci nano puff like I was on everest...so I vote not its not a waste.
It gets crazy cold in my office too. I stopped by the Patagonia store today to try on the R3, Nano Puff, and Down Sweater. The guy said the R3 would be warmer than the Nano Puff, and the Down would be even warmer than an R4.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 30, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Speleothing posted:

That type of silly fabric is always ugly - look at how shiny it is, and remember that all those individual fibers that stick out will catch dirt. I remember the Mountain Hardwear Monkey Man Jackets from a few years ago - they were warm as poo poo but the looked tacky as hell.

Compare it to the Covert Cardigan or Skandl Full Zip. They have a knit fleece that has a much more traditional sweater appearance. Or the Aconcagua Jacket or Reactor Jacket, which have a simpler flat fleece.

Edit: if you've been to the store & know what you're getting, then it's your choice. I think it's made from an ugly fabric and has a very boxy-looking cut.
I didn't get to see the R4, but it's interesting you mention the Monkey Man since I think I had that same thought when I first saw it. Also, I haven't owned an actual fleece jacket in nearly a decade, in large part because of the dirt issue, so thanks for reminding me.

According to the REI website, even a heavyweight fleece can't compete with synthetic fill, to say nothing of down. This seems promising, 120g Primaloft Synergy (which I realize isn't as warm as Primaloft One): http://www.6pm.com/quiksilver-nomad-jacket-black

edit: Annnd we're ordered.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 30, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Alright, I promise this will be my (second to last) post. Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Just how warm is this going to be if I'm just mulling around? It's 700 fill down + Omni-Heat reflective, and it's $80 on The Clymb: http://www.columbia.com/Men%E2%80%99s-Modern-Logger%E2%84%A2-Bomber-Jacket/WM4098,default,pd.html I'd just order it to test it out in person but I can only return for credit.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

That's merino money.
Yeah, I realized I would have to up my budget to cover my performance expectations.

quote:

How much does that even weight?
According to Sierra Trading Post, 3lb 4oz which... seems really high to me?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What's the preferred DWR treatment? I decided to stick with my old Gore Windstopper softshell, but it's in serious need of a reapplication.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

REI has Granger for $3 cheaper than Amazon so I tried to pick some up just now, but even though they sell it on their site, they don't sell it in store. :wtc:

Amazon it is. :negative:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MMD3 posted:

I use Granger's XT Waterproofer, but mostly because someone at REI recommended it to me. I'd already dont some reading on my own and it was one of the ones I was looking at so it was more just that they confirmed it as a good one.

evil_bunnY posted:

I've used Granger's and Nikwax and both attained *great success*

Watch the instructions though. Usually you want to wash (double rinse) -> apply DWR -> tumble dry mid.
I treated my softshell and a pair of rain pants. The rain pants, even after the spin cycle, had soaked up enough water that it was dripping when I pulled it out of the washer. The softshell did a bit better and was only damp. I probably used way too much Granger's on my softshell (there were microbeads of liquid on the outside toward the end), but I suppose it's better to be overly thorough. Washed with liquid hand soap, extra rinse, doused with Granger XT, then into the dryer on low (mine only has low/medium).

In any case, the Granger's really worked! However, at $15 for 9oz, it's certainly not cheap. I might give the Nikwax a try next time since it's $30 for a 34oz bottle on Amazon.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How closely do your softshells fit? The Venta SV fits fairly large and long on this guy but he's a skinny fucker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7CYWr7vcLk

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Easychair Bootson posted:

I just posted a Mountain Hardwear Gore-Tex jacket for $80 shipped in SA-Mart here. No idea what it's actually worth so maybe it's a good deal that someone in this thread might be interested in.
Posted in your SA Mart thread asking for size info.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Hah! Yeah that wasn't very descriptive. I'm bipolar and tend to buy lots of stupid poo poo when I get on a high.
You can never have too many jackets :devil:

(That's not true, don't be like me)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If anyone is looking for a rain jacket, I've got a once-worn Marmot Precip for sale: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3590377

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does anyone know how MH's DryQ Evap performs? I'm looking to get either the Marmot Precip ($50) or MH Capacitor ($100): http://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens-capacitor-jacket-OM5178.html

Since these are budget shell, I assume the fabric isn't terribly breathable on its own, which gives a huge advantage to the pit zips and mesh pockets of the Precip.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 16, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Marman1209 posted:

Both of these jackets, assuming we're talking about a SP14 Precip, have an air permeable membrane. These are newish style laminates that sacrifice some waterproofness for a lot of breathability. I'm pretty sure Dry.Q Evap is 2.5L eVent, and the PreCip uses the new NanoPro stuff they just came out with.

I would get the Mountain Hardware jacket. It's lighter weight, probably higher quality in general and I just trust eVent more.

Marmot's low and mid level hardshells are noticeably lower quality than a lot of the competition (lower stitch count, fat zippers, etc), and the PreCip has long been known for being unreliable. Also, it looks like a shell from 10 years ago.

If you're looking at a past season PreCip I wouldn't even consider it.
I ordered both and it wasn't even a contest - the Precip is going back. From Googling the SKU, it does appear to be the 2013 model, but it didn't even get that far because as soon as I unwrapped the MH, I knew I'd be keeping it. I would never say that anything compares to Arc'teryx in fit and finish, but if this didn't have a logo, you could have fooled me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

HEY VAPER posted:

Uniqlo packable down jackets are on sale today if your size is in stock, also in stores http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/men-ultra-light-down-square-quilted-jacket-136939.html

Pretty good deal, I had a hard time passing it up but the last thing I need is more insulation options.
I got one of these in herringbone last year during a sale: http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/men-ultra-light-down-jacket-patterned-134578.html

It's nice enough and I wear it around the house a lot because I hate sweaters. It's okay during activity but not as warm as "down jacket" implied to me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

All I want for Christmas New Year's is an Arc'Teryx Gore-Tex shell for under $200.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I will suck a dick for a decently priced Beta AR.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My friend in Buffalo made the drive to the outlets on the Canadian side of Niagra Falls. The Arc'Teryx store had Beta LT seconds for $199 after Boxing Day sale + exchange rate, but I declined on account of it not having pit zips like the Beta AR.

I hope I do not regret the decision forever.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hungryjack posted:

If anyone is looking for a great deal on a better-than-average rain jacket, REI has a closeout on the Men's Marmot Precip rain jacket for $59.73 right now. Add on the coupon code OUTJAN16 and the final price with shipping is $44.73.
Does this have air-perm fabric?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hungryjack posted:

Hmm, looks like Sierra Trading Post has it as well for a comparable price with the coupon code: ES010516A. A good deal either way. STP has it in more colors besides black, but I don't know if it's the 2015 model or not.
Yeah, that's my concern since Precip switched to air-perm sometime recently.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

turevidar posted:

That said, my back is always sweaty when my precip is on, and it's actually kind of lousy at keeping rain out. If it's coming down consistently, I'm going to be clammy, cold, and wet.
The waterproofing is lackluster? Interesting.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Discounts on Arc'Teryx hasn't been great at my Atlanta REI garage sales. All I want is a Beta AR like everyone else.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

These are the ticks that had made it through my sock and attached to my foot. I had managed to get another couple hundred wiped off of my ankles with alcohol wipes.
Yeahhh I'm never going hiking and I'll just stare lovingly at my techwear in the closet.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I think I made a mistake buying a rain jacket without pit zips. Air perm is a joke.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I randomly browsed REI's website then ended up ordering this 800-fill down jacket from Steep and Cheap:

http://www.steepandcheap.com/the-north-face-quince-down-jacket-mens

The winter jacket obsession has started early this year. :negative:
Guys, I am in love with 800 fill down. My controlled and totally scientific test is sitting still at my computer and it's the first jacket I've had that actually warms me up. Jackets that have failed in that regard include a 650 fill down of similar weight and a heavy Primaloft.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm selling my almost new Mountain Hardwear eVent rain jacket (size Large): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788270

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 29, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

My current obsession is finding the perfect cold weather rain pants. I am looking hard at fishing bibs, but I am not sure how they will be for all day wear. The other idea is Kokodat kayaking pants, which would eliminate he need to worry about wet feet, but sense they are designed to be sat in all day I don't know how they will be to move in.
What about golf rain pants? A lot of golfers wear them as an additional layer when it's chilly and they're designed to be moved in

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

gohuskies posted:

You don't need a $650 jacket for around town.
Beta AR is so sexy though

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yooper posted:

Fjallraven makes some very similar packs.

I too like the looks but I've only seen Fjallravens on the backs of proto-hipsters in major airports.
Waxed cotton is so 20th century

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

drat, REI had a super advertised national mega garage sale this morning and I forgot about it even though I was awake in time.

Could've gotten a Beta AR for cheap.

And by cheap I mean probably still $350 :v:.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Don't all down jackets pretty much pack into themselves? Like my TNF Quince has never advertised that feature, yet...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It seems like as long as the hand pockets aren't super small, the rest of the jacket will pack into it.

I mean, why else did TNF never advertise it on my jacket?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 3, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Because the zipper isn't reversible.
Meh, not a big deal when you have zipper pulls.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Reformed Tomboy posted:

I agree, and do the same on my jackets, but that is why it's not a feature. Pretty silly if you ask me.
What's the reason for not including a reversible zipper? I can't be cost. I imagine it's maybe 5 cents more on a $250 jacket?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So... would reapplying DWR have helped?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The last time I checked in on down fill power, it was generally agreed that anything over 800 was basically marketing bullshit. But now I'm seeing 900 and 950 fill in a bunch of places. Is >800 fill legit now?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

edit

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 1, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Rain percentages are funny. A forecaster could be 100% certain it will rain, but only in 20% of their forecast area, so they will say there is a 20% chance of rain. It's not the only way they do rain percentages, but it is indeed 1.
I’m pretty sure this is an urban legend

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m not much of a hiker (yet) but I’m getting into it more. Just ordered some Arcteryx hiking boots from their outlet for $85. I know boots aren’t their best products, but I got them bc I only have an old (but lightly used) pair of Timberland Gore-Tex hiking boots. They’re super comfy but Reddit is adamant that unless it’s cold, the waterproof membrane is gonna cause the sweat from your feet to make the interior of the boot clammy and cause chafing. So I went with the Aerios non-waterproof. I tried on the waterproof version at my local Arcteryx store and they’re not super cushioned but they seem very durable, and I’ve read Arcteryx boots take some time to break in. And again, for $85, I’m unlikely to find anything better. Everything at REI, even their store brand, has a waterproof membrane, and everything Salomon is way more expensive.

https://outlet.arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/aerios-aura-mid-shoe

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm heading to Costa Rica later this week for 8 days where we're planning to do 4-5 hikes. The forecast is around 75F in the morning and 85F mid-afternoon without any rain. I'm relatively new to hiking and this will be the warmest weather I've experienced by far.

Given the weather, I would think to bring moisture-wicking polos and shorts, but since mosquitoes love me and there's a risk of malaria, I've been told to also bring loose-fitting moisture-wicking long-sleeve shirt, pants, and a hat. I'll be bringing non-waterproof boots since my understanding is my feet will be drenched in my Gore-Tex ones.

Any other suggestions? I do have a lightweight rain jacket I'll bring just in case.