Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

What is the name of those waterproof pack covers? Definitely need to grab two for our packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Going to Sequoia over the holiday weekend. Will probably hike the Wolverton Cutoff Loop but was wondering if any goons had other recommendations. Preferably above 5,000' to stay cool.

Last year we did the Crystal Cave tour which was pretty neat and saw General Sherman and Muir Grove.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Planning on a Joshua Tree NP camping trip this Halloween weekend and wanted to know any preferences you goons had for campsites and hikes. I've been once before and we stayed at Jumbo Rock which was pretty solid. We did some nearby trails and Ryan Mountain.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Going to Joshua Tree this weekend. What are your favorite day hikes? I think we'll do the Lost Palms Oasis but not sure what else to see. The last time I was there we did Ryan Mountain.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Lost Palms Trail just re-opened last week thankfully.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Welp. Sucks for them. If you boys aren't clever enough to make a system that can't be gamed then it sucks for you guys.

Game the system dude, gently caress it man. Besides, your an American taxpayer- your entitled to use the land within the laws. And it's legal to loophole dipshit rangers parks rules and quotas. So that's within the law. Go nuts.

Just, ya know, LNT or whatever.

:allears:

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

My wife and I are looking for a two-night backpacking trip in Yosemite in the next few months. Preferably somewhere out in the Tuolomne area where we could camp by a lake one night, anywhere really on the other night, then loop back to our car. Maybe a peak if possible. Any recommendations?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Anyone have any experience backpacking the Silver Moccasin Trail in the San Gabriels here in CA?

My wife and I hiked a short section of it over the weekend and want to do the whole 53 miles. Googling has turned up very little information as far as trip length/camping spots. Do people just camp wherever on that trail, or only at established campgrounds along the trail such as Horse Flats? I'd like to do it in 4 days/3 nights.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

6 hours from LA puts you in range of Sequoia/King's Canyon and Yosemite. Also Big Sur on the coast.

There are some trails running through the San Gabriel Mountains (Silver Moccasin Trail among others) that can keep you occupied for a few days. Just drive one hour up the 2.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Gropiemon posted:

Yeah I went up to the San Gabriels once and up to Angeles Crest a few times. I live off the 210 in the north valley so it's super close for me. Any places in Big Sur and Yosemite that you can point me towards? The info on the .gov sites are great but I don't really have any outdoorsey friends here that I can get some anecdotal advice from.

For the San Gabriels, I think the Silver Moccasin Trail is your best bet. It's 53 miles long with 15k of elevatioin gain (about 5d/4n). Start at Chantry Flats in Sierra Madre and end at Vincent Gap off the Angeles Crest Highway. Basic itinerary is Chantry Flats to Westfork (9 miles), Westfork to Chilao (11 miles), Chilao to Buckhorn (13 miles), Buckhorn to Little Jimmy (9 miles), and Little Jimmy to Vincent Gap (11 miles). You have to plan ahead for some of the sites and probably want to book them early. You also need to figure out your transportation.

For Yosemite/Sequoia/King's your options are really endless. Get a good map of the parks and just start connecting some dashed lines. I've only done day hikes in Big Sur but there are longer options.

EveryTrail, ModernHiker, and HikeSpeak have a lot of good trail information.

e- There's also the Trans-Catalina Trail that takes about 4d/3n on Catalina Island. My wife and I hiked the first section of it and plan to do the whole thing in the fall or next spring.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 2, 2015

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

bunnielab posted:

What are people's thoughts on sticking animal skulls on low hanging branches next to trails?

Cuz man, I don't think I could give that up.

If the animal didn't naturally die suspended in the tree in such a way that the rotting carcass leaves the skull propped up in the branches I have a serious problem with it!!!

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Levitate posted:

Since the west side of Sequoia NP doesn't seem to be opening again any time soon because of the Rough fire, looks like my Emigrant Wilderness plan is a go...which I'm fine with, but still kinda sucks. The higher parts of the Sierra in Kings Canyon and all are cool

Just got back from Sequoia over the holiday weekend. The fire canceled our planned hike to Jennie Lake booooooooo. Oh well, Dorst Creek campground was as beautiful as always.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Any suggestions for a good backpacking pad for side sleepers? I have had a therm-a-rest pro-lite inflatable foam pad for ages, but my hip and shoulder go straight through it and I hardly ever get any sleep.

I am looking at the Therm-A-Rest XTherm inflatable, but it is quite expensive.

On the food discussion:
A bag of rice with a variety of different spice combinations can last you forever.

I side sleep and love my Big Agnes Air Core. I have the long version (6'3"):

http://www.rei.com/product/846690/b...8&RRID=15312720

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

My wife and some friends want to do the first few days (2 or 3 nights) of the PCT starting in Campo. Is there a good website that breaks down the sections up into days with recommended spots to make camp for the night? Also trying to figure out if we need any permits for those areas in SoCal.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

What are all of your favorite non-valley car campgrounds in Yosemite? Thinking of going in late May/early June and have only stayed in the valley!

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Got up to try my hand at reserving Tuolomne this morning the minute it opened, but everything was booked instantly. :(

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

theHUNGERian posted:

I'll be hiking Mt. Baldy next week, and I wanted to ask about clothing for a cold day in full sun while being on a strenuous hike (=extra body heat).

When I am out at night in freezing temperatures, I usually wear a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, two sweaters, and one winter jacket. I also have winter socks, gloves, a Seirus face mask/shied (combo scarf?), and a hat. This combo leaves my warm and fuzzy at night in 32F weather while doing minimal activities (star gazing). How do many of these layers do you think I'll need in 32F weather in the full sun and minimal wind while hiking from 6000ft to 10000ft?

If you're hiking in the day I don't think it will be that cold. Also there is quite a bit of wind on the trail and especially at the summit.

e- Mt. Baldy in SoCal or a different one?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Ihmemies posted:

Ok so we went to an overnight hike with a couple of friends. Some lessons learned:

Edit: oh and I'm past using foam sleeping pads. Even with very nice moss and other undergrowth the result is not good. It's very hard to find a flat sleeping surface too so I'd imagine

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Agnes-Core-Long-Sleeping/dp/B008PMDKVQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474928112&sr=8-2&keywords=big+agnes+air+core

I'm 6'3" and use the long (78"), it might work for you. Very comfortable and packs up small. R value is only 1 though. Foam pads are much better insulators from the cold ground.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Man, you guys are making me want to camp this weekend. I'll post pics if I do.

Going back to Joshua Tree at the end of the month, can't wait!

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

The Aardvark posted:

Took my wife to Double Peak Trail in San Marcos, CA yesterday to change up our usual hiking day. She's from Toronto so all the outdoors stuff is very new to her and I hope to ease her into backpacking eventually.

View of the Batiquitos Lagoon and Pacific Ocean.

Looking east towards the Escondido

Parts of San Marcos

Very cool. I grew up in the Murrieta/Temecula area but didn't do much hiking til I moved to LA. Spent a lot of time between there, Escondido, San Marcos, Carlsbad, northern SD, etc. growing up.

Any other hikes you can recommend for the next time I'm down visiting family?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Yea your sit bones are going to hurt for a few days. The pain will sort of numb away but can be really bad at the start of the 2nd or 3rd day when you first hop in the saddle.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Arizona goons, heed my call!

Wife and I are going to take a 4day Thanksgiving road trip from CA to visit your National Parks. We will prob spend the least time at Grand Canyon since we've been before (will prob just drive through on the way back). What should we definitely see/do at Saguaro and Petrified Forest? What about camping there?

Any other awesome outdoorsy spots we should hit in the state?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Levitate posted:

? What does this mean? how do people know Lyme disease is bad on the trail?

Reported cases of Lyme disease have been increasing year over year for the past several. It's a lot worse everywhere (specifically NE USA), including hiking trails in tick areas.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Going to UT tonight and will be there for the weekend. Will be staying in Eagle Mountain (south of SLC/west of Provo across the lake) and am looking for some day hike options for this time of year! Strenuous is fine, but I'm not bringing spikes or crampons so snow is probably out of the question.

Any recommendations?

I feel like all of the national parks are a bit of a drive, but maybe there are some state parks or other areas known to locals.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Levitate posted:

The Kelty Cosmic Down 20 has generally been considered a good low cost down bag. It's not actually going to be comfortable down to 20 degrees but mid 30's might be a comfortable range depending on how warm you sleep. It's pretty cheap, pretty light...main thing really is just that it's not going to be as warm as a real good expensive bag, but if you don't need it to handle below freezing temps it should be good

Seconded. I have this bag and love it, but it only sleeps comfortably until you get to the lowers 30s. I've used it down to 19 degrees before (not a fun night), and just this past weekend used it down to 28 (still didn't sleep great from 3am-5am).

Why haven't I gotten a lower rated bag yet???

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Verman posted:

I loving hate snakes. I've learned to tolerate the non poisonous varieties as I got older but I'm still pretty terrified of the poisonous ones. Pheasant hunting is always a double edged sword for me.

I know the statistics (moose kill more people in NA than most other animals) but give me a moose or a bear any day over accidentally stumbling within striking distance of a rattlesnake.

Accidentally came within ~5ft of a rattler last month while out hiking. It was near the summit of a peak and he was nestled in some rock crevice just off the trail where I stopped to take a rest.

Hopefully that's my one rattler encounter for a few good years.

e- here he is (she?)

Was very calm, didn't really move much, never rattled. This is in Griffith Park (Los Angeles).

khysanth fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 20, 2017

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Josh Lyman posted:

Don't all down jackets pretty much pack into themselves?

No?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Levitate posted:

I need to make plans to go to Yosemite in the winter. Rent a cabin or something. It's a beautiful place but so crowded in the summer...the valley when there's few other people around would be amazing.

Actually headed up there next weekend for some camping at Tuoloumne Meadows. If things are going alright I might try to grab a walkup overnight permit to Glen Aulin or something, but this is our first "big" camping trip with our kid so if night times are a pain in the rear end maybe we won't do it. kind of worried about that and him having a rough 1st night at least but I figure if worse comes to worse and we can't get him to sleep, I'll go for a night time drive for a bit (and hopefully not hit a bear)

Do you have reservations at Tuolomne or are you just going for the first-come sites? Two years in a row I haven't been able to get reservations for the weekend I want. They fill up literally the minute reservations open and I'm really unlucky. And the drive is pretty far (5+ hours) for me to attempt a first-come site I think...

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Axeface posted:

I'm a city kitty just trying to get into backpacking and camping in a semi-serious way, and financially what seems to work best right now is gradually making decent mid-range investments to slowly build out a kit. I've got cheap, heavy equipment that covers (almost) everything I need so far, so I'm mostly looking to make upgrades that will last me a few years while I figure out what I'm doing and prepare for more intense challenges. My price range for pretty much everything is going to be in the $300 range, but I can push that for particular items that will really last me the distance past my learning curve.

So, I'm looking at backpacks right now. The majority of what I've done so far is long hikes and car camping, but I've recently moved up to backpacking out and plopping down for 4-5 days at a time, and after huffing and puffing like a moron with uncomfortable, overstuffed bags, I'm looking for something that actually fits my purpose. Ideally, I'd like to be able to push my trips out to two weeks or so as well. After doing a substantial amount of window-shopping and research, I'm looking at the REI Flash 65, both because of the price tag and because it seems to check off most of my boxes at the moment. Its capacity seems a nice range for the gear I'm carrying and the length of the trips I'd like to plan.

Any thoughts, suggestions or alternatives before I take the plunge on this one? I'd appreciate any advice you'd all be willing to offer.

Upgrade your other systems first (shelter, sleep, cook) to lighter weight and smaller options. Once you know how much weight you're carrying, and what capacity you need, then decide on a backpack that fits those needs.

You'll typically shave off the biggest chunks of weight upgrading your shelter and sleep systems.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Leaving tomorrow for my first solo wilderness backpacking trip in a long time. Just two easy days/nights. Wife meeting me at the end to drive me back home on Sunday.

Doing the first two sections of the Silver Mocassin Trail. Here's my map:

https://caltopo.com/m/EH41

And my lighterpack:

https://lighterpack.com/r/d1d26h

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Electoral Surgery posted:

Give me your friends. This weekend I was the only person out of six without an SLR. You already got that waterfall from two other positions and we have 15 miles to go :argh:

I'm married to a professional photographer and like to cover distance quickly. I've learned to bite my tongue on hikes while internally screaming.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

That is some dense forest. I need to fly up and explore some Canadian wilderness.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

marshmonkey posted:

Doing Rae Lakes loop in King's Canyon over 4 or 5 nights next week. Bit nervous as this is only my 2nd backpacking trip after wussing out after only 1 night on the trans-Catalina trail.

I'm much more prepared gear and technique wise this time though, so hopefully it will be a great trip.

Can anyone who has been up there recently report if there is much fire smoke in the area?

I just got out of SEKI this weekend and the wildfire smoke was intermittent, although we were a bit south of where you'll be. The shifting winds throughout the day, and the afternoon thunderstorms at elevation, really helped to clear it out. One morning was particularly bad, though.

Be careful crossing the south fork of the Kings River. Still a dangerous flow.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a website that has weather forecasts for trails?

I like to use the National Weather Service (http://www.weather.gov/)

You can zoom into any part of the map and click for a detailed forecast for that particular area. Works for campgrounds, trailheads, etc.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Yea I find I need 5L+ of water each day of hiking myself to stay hydrated. I wonder how much variance there is from person to person. I'm 6'3" and 175lb, but if I don't drink 5L I won't pee at all.

My last weekend trip I woke up, hiked 11 miles with 3000' elevation gain. Drank 4L throughout the day. Didn't pee once. It wasn't until I was in camp for 4+ hours and about to go to sleep that I managed to pee a nominal amount.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Definitely would not have paid anything toward canoe rental if I brought my own canoe.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Tsyni posted:

Kayaks are better than canoes, imo. Why didn't you rent some of those?

You can bring a lot more gear for longer trips out in a canoe. Much easier to portage with all of said gear as well.

Bangkero posted:

We also didn't want to portage an extra boat since it was our first time to visit this provincial park and weren't sure how hectic the trails were.

Which park? Algonquin?

khysanth fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 3, 2017

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

charliebravo77 posted:

What temps have you used one down to and what is your tent/pad setup? I will be likely seeing temperatures in the 20s, possibly even teens. I just don't know that a quilt will keep me quite as warm as a regular bag will, or be as easily used with a liner for added warmth.

If you're going to be seeing temps in the teens, you'll probably want a 10deg bag at the least, and I'd consider a 0deg bag for sure. That rating isn't the bag's comfort rating. The comfort rating is usually 5-10 deg warmer than the listed lower-limit rating. My Kelty Cosmic Down 20 for example is not very comfortable below 30deg. I spent one awful night in it at 19deg, did not sleep well.

Quilts vs mummies is a preference thing. It's hard to know if a quilt will work for you without actually testing one. It depends on your sleeping habits, how well you can keep it closed around you, etc.

For your ground pad, you're going to want an R-value greater than 4 if you are going to be sleeping in the teens. R-value is additive, so you can put a foam pad underneath an inflatable to stack insulation.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Function > Fashion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Ihmemies posted:

Nice :) My 20F version was too cold for me without a proper hood. Today also my Aegismax Down bacalava arrived. Maybe $16 from Aliexpress, 1 month shipping time. My head size is 60cm and the hood is large. It fits a beanie inside and still has lots of extra room. Weight is 75g, also the neck portion is very long so it should suit even the longest-necked people. I'm 200cm and my neck is quite tall...

So if you ever feel like your head is too cold with the quilt, I can recommend one of those unethical chinese down hoods. MLD hood would have been $130 incl. shipping, customs and tax.

Yea, I also went the Chinese route and got 2x balaclava, 2x down booties, and 2x down pants for me and the wife. Our UGQ Bandit quilts should be arriving in ~3 or so more weeks...

If we ordered all of that stuff from cottage American manufacturers, it would have cost nearly ~5x as much. Sorry Chinese ducks/geese... :(

If anyone is wondering, the largest booties they sell barely hold my men's size 13 US. Pretty snug but not uncomfortably so on the heel and toe. The pants link is for the men's only. The women's are available here in the color/size option area.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 30, 2017