Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I like to move quickly and carry lightly, so my regular life pour over coffee addiction is swapped out for Starbucks Instant Via coffee on the trail. It does the job.

I'm even considering just switching to caffeine pills for backpacking. Maybe I could ween myself off the 'feine that way too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

underage at the vape shop posted:

Do you guys have any recomendations for small tents I could take hiking? I live in Queensland Australia, so it doesn't need to be able to withstand snow, but it does need to be able to survive a tropical thunderstorm (strong wind, keeps me dry in torrential rain).

What's your budget and how big are you? Do you use trekking poles? Do you want a traditional free-standing tent that uses poles? Do you want to try a tarp setup?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Ihmemies posted:

I don't really get bivys. You can get double walled tents for under 1kg. It is worth every gram to haul a lightweight tent with you.

I think most people who use bivys do so under a tarp. Full weather and bug protection at ~10-12oz and <$150 is attractive to many styles of backpackers.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Time Cowboy posted:

What are some decent but kinda cheap hiking socks? None of that $25 a pair stuff.

Just FYI the $20/pair Darn Toughs have a legitimate lifetime warranty. Once they wear out you just exchange them at a retailer that sells them, or ship them to the company in VT.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Ihmemies posted:

You just haven't used a good one yet :) I personally like https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008S9DYLC/

Quite lightweight, easy to clean, you can swap to a bite valve if you like them more etc.

The bladder is almost 1/2 a pound! Not very r/ultralight :viggo:

I used a bladder for a long time but now just carry two 1L smartwater bottles and a Sawyer Squeeze for filtration. If I'm doing a big desert hike that requires more carrying capacity, I'll throw the bladder back into the mix.

Platystemon posted:

Speaking of water, how unusual is it to boil water as a primary treatment method?

I feel like it has fallen out of favour, but when it’s a viable option, I take it.

If I’m carrying a stove and pot anyway the extra fuel requirement isn’t onerous over a weekend.

I don't think it's very popular at all. A 3oz Sawyer Squeeze or Katadyn BeFree is going to do the same job, much faster, for way less weight. I only boil if there are quality restrictions in place that require it.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 20, 2017

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

A friend of mine is trying to convince me to do the PCT in 2019 -- taking only four months to do it. :chanpop: I'd really like to, but I can just see my body falling apart at that kind of pace.

That's about ~22 miles/day average. Not super fast but definitely not slow. I think many people start hitting mid-20s days once they get their hiker legs.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Those boots are probably fine if she picked them out/has tried them on previously. Very hard to give shoes/boots as a gift because everyone has different feet and needs.

Personally I stay away from the GTX versions because they are "waterproof" which translates to DOES NOT BREATHE WELL, WILL EVENTUALLY GET MOISTURE INSIDE BY RUNNING DOWN YOUR LEG, OR FROM YOUR FEET SWEATING. Salomon is a respectable boot brand though.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Dukket posted:

I went snowshoeing for the first time today and loved it.

That is all.

Where about? What snowshoes did you use? Been wanting to do this some time as well.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Josh Lyman posted:

The last time I checked in on down fill power, it was generally agreed that anything over 800 was basically marketing bullshit. But now I'm seeing 900 and 950 fill in a bunch of places. Is >800 fill legit now?

850+ FP is "better" in that you get the same amount of warmth for slightly improved weight. The cost is generally not worth it. 800 is kind of the sweet spot for bags, and maybe 550-750 for jackets.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I have a Mountain Hardwear down jacket that's leaking a lot of feathers. Is there an easy fix for seams that don't seem to be holding, or should I just have it replaced under warranty?

If it's still under warranty, definitely have it repaired/replaced professionally.

Out of warranty, duct tape/gorilla tape will be fine to patch up small holes. Not sure about seams.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

M42 posted:

Sup! I’ve done a lot of day hikes (all sorts of terrain) over my life, but never anything involving overnighting or multi day stuff that involves tents etc. Is there a good guide on beginner gear for a simple one night hike? Basically not sure I need a crazy frame hiking backpack for the short stuff.

Here is a very good resource on budget ultralight backpacking gear. Give it a read:

https://lighterpack.com/r/776crf

Here is a list of some alternatives from the same person:

https://lighterpack.com/r/ea9q48

Basically you're going to need:

Big 4 - Tent (stakes, guylines), pack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad
Appropriate clothes
Food and some way to cook or prepare it and eat it (stove, fuel, pot, utensil - or go cold-soak/no cook)
Water and some way to carry it and filter from a source (or carry it all from the start)
First aid kit (leukotape, bandages, ibuprofen, etc.)
Navigation stuff (maps, compass)
Utility stuff (headlamp, small knife)
Poop kit (trowel, tp, soap, sanitizer)
Misc stuff (bug spray, sunscreen, chapstik, toothbruse/paste/floss)

This is my gear list for example:

https://www.lighterpack.com/r/egbf8v

e- There's also the backpacking/camping gear thread

khysanth fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 15, 2018

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Levitate posted:

Anyone here ever done the Tahoe Rim Trail?

I'm thinking of throwing together a crazy plan to hike it this summer with my wife, a friend of ours, and our 1.5 year old kid

It's partly insane but on the other hand we already hike with him a lot and can easily cover plenty of ground. He likes being in the carrier and also falls asleep and naps a long time in it, we'd just have to make sure we take a long lunch break so he can run around, but it's doable to think we could do 10 miles per day. We already camp with him and he has his own little sleeping quilt that's plenty warm. Biggest issue will be things like diapers but I figure planning to resupply more often rather than going long stretches can make that work.

But realllly I guess my point in asking is what kind of resupply plan have people done? How many days in between, any really long stretches, etc.

https://tahoerimtrail.org has a ton of useful info for you, including resupply points.

10 miles a day will take you about 17 days.

Bear cans are NOT required on any part of the TRT.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So I am going to be in Joshua Tree tomorrow for a night. Any good day hikes I should look into that are recommended?

The hike to Lost Palms Oasis is nice if you're near the southern end of the park.

The hike up to Ryan Mountain has some spectacular desert views.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Tai posted:

Anyone have a zpacks tent? Thinking of picking up the 3 man/triplex to use myself and partner for hiking. Heard good things but wanted a bit more feed back before I hit go on a tent that is double the price of other tents.

I don't have a Zpacks tent but I'm really familiar with their products and the offerings from other smaller ultralight manufacturers. What are you looking for in a tent? Fit 2+? Double-wall or single-wall important to you? Trekking pole supported or free-standing? Budget?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Tai posted:

Super light (so I guess single wall/tarp), super durable and either trekking pole or two poles. Basically what the zpacks triplex is. Just wanting to know is it poo poo hot before I drop money into it (or other/better companies who are cheaper but just as good).

The Triplex will probably be fine for you guys. I wouldn't take it out in super windy or snowy conditions, but for basically all mild 3 season/shoulder season weather you should be good.

Tai posted:

Does it need a foot print/ground sheet under it? Heard people don't but still...digging for the finer details.

It uses 1.0oz/sqyd DCF for the floor so you probably don't need any sort of footprint. If you want to be extra careful, just buy some polycro and cut it to the bathtub footprint size. Weight will only be ~2oz.

Also do you really need the Triplex? How big are you guys? Are you planning on bringing a 3rd or a dog? The Duplex might be plenty big for you and will save $100 and some weight. The Triplex is just a wider version of the Duplex. You can fit a lot of gear in the vestibules. If you guys are fine with a 2P shelter, that opens up more options from other cottage manufacturers who don't really make 3P shelters:

Gossamer Gear The Two - $389, 2P silnylon, similar to Duplex, 29oz

Some other options from Yama Mountain Gear, Hyperlite Mountain Gear, Six Moon Designs, TarpTent, etc.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 20, 2018

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Gotcha. I'm 6'3" and use a Six Moon Designs Haven Tarp and NetTent. We have the cuben/DCF model from 2015 that is no longer produced, so it's pretty light as well.

Double-wall, two person tent for a total of about ~28oz. 114" long (compared to 100" long on the Duplex/Triplex) with an offset peak (compared to center peak on Duplex/Triplex) make for much better sitting up head room.

The silnylon Haven plus NetTent would set you back about $400 seam-sealed and weigh ~36oz roughly.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

On days 3+ of backpacking I literally can not stop eating. The hiker hunger becomes real. I will eat nearly anything edible that is put in front of me.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Just hiked Cactus to Clouds starting Saturday morning at 3:15am.

Two months of training, 9/10 in the group made the summit. One guy had a recurring injury from an old surgery flair up just a few miles short.

Recommend this only for people really into type 2 fun.

Ended up doing nearly 22 miles and just over 11,000' of elevation gain (three of us hiked from the tram where most people left, back up to the campsite a few miles in and stayed the night).

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Fall Dog posted:

Crossposting this from the Take a Hike subforum:

My partner and I are looking at spending some time in Zion National Park and are wanting to experience as much as we can while avoiding the crowds. I know in recent years that the parks have become bloated with tourists, which kinda sucks, so I figure that by doing at least one multi-day hike we will get somewhere isolated.

So far we've got The Narrows and Angel's Landing on the list. Our plan was to catch a shuttle from Las Vegas up to Zion, spend however long in Zion and the head back to Vegas for a few days. If we had a car we'd be able to store our luggage in that while we went hiking, so does anyone know if there's the ability to rent a locker to store a suitcase for a couple of days at the park?

Any recommendations for what to see nature-wise in Vegas would also be appreciated. I missed out on seeing Hoover Dam last time, so that's on the list. Grand Canyon has already been done. Are the Valley of Fire and Red Rock Canyon parks any good?

What about the more civilised activities in Vegas? We were planning on doing a bunch of shopping, dining and day activities out post-nature before heading home.

Another goon suggested taking a shuttle to the Western Rim trail and hiking back to the canyon. We're looking at visiting in a few months so I'm trying to get a bombproof schedule as soon as I can. I'm not so concerned with budget or length of hike at this stage. I'd rather get all of the suggestions and cherrypick what works best for us on the day.

You won't be escaping the crowds by hitting The Narrows or Angel's Landing, but if you manage to get ~3+ miles away from most other trail heads, you'll find a lot more solitude. If you have 4 or 5 days, you can backpack across the entire park (Zion Traverse).

Outside of Vegas, Red Rock Canyon is definitely worth checking out -- even if you just drive the loop and get out at a few of the view points. There are some trails too if you have more time.

Civilization wise, I like to spend very little time on the actual strip in Vegas. Use yelp and go to places that locals eat (hint: none of it is on the strip). Downtown (north of the strip) is a fun experience too. Cheaper hotels/gambling/drinks.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Dayhiked Mt. Whitney this past weekend -- a guy in my hiking group got some permits so we went for it.

Sea level to 14,508' in 24 hours was not fun. Everything above ~12k was pretty brutal. One guy got altitude sickness pretty badly and had to turn around with his friend before Trail Camp.

First time using an ice axe and microspikes. Going up the chute was strenuous but also kind of fun. Two hours to get up, and only five minutes to glissade down! Switchbacks still iced over/closed so there isn't another way up from the East except the even more difficult Mountaineer's Route.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Careful Drums posted:

hey this is just barely on topic but what the hell.

imagine i'm going snowshoeing in sub-zero temperatures. which of these coats would work best, would the $500 be worth the extra money?

$500 https://www.columbia.com/womens-outdry-ex-diamond-heatzone-long-parka-1682971.html?cgid=sale-women&dwvar_1682971_variationColor=010#start=22

$250 https://www.columbia.com/womens-outdry-ex-mogul-jacket-1738591.html?cgid=sale-women&dwvar_1738591_variationColor=837#start=10

(actually i just want to get my wife a really loving warm coat because shes always cold in michigan winter, and saw columbia is doing a sale)

Layer up.

Get a thermal weight baselayer (moisture wicking properties), an insulation layer (like a fleece), and shell(s) like a puffy down jacket and a waterproof jacket for rain/snowfall.

Lots of other options than the ones linked depending on your budget.

Take off as you get hot/sweaty, add back on as you get cold. Moisture management is really important in those temps. Don't let sweat build up.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 8, 2018

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

theHUNGERian posted:

Hey thread,

I am starting training for a long trip next year (mountaineering seminar in Alaska) and I am curious what I should be doing to prevent blister agony. Are there certain socks that can help? Can I minimize the forming of blisters if I train barefoot and get used to it?

Kind of varies from person to person.

I use trail runners (Altras) and a thin pair of Injinji liner/toe socks. Haven't had a blister since making the switch.

If it's cold, I'll throw a pair of Darn Toughs on over the liners.

If you DO get a blister, cover it with a piece of leukotape. That stuff will stick on you for weeks, even through stream crossings and showers, and makes it possible to continue hiking on in relative comfort.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is Mt Whitney a glaciated peak? The Mazamas website thinks so (they require you to have summited a glaciated peak to join) but I can't tell, and it's the only one on the list I've climbed.

I'm not even clear on what that means exactly. Google points you toward https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramidal_peak but Whitney doesn't really fall into that category at all IMO.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

ShaneB posted:

4L of water is a crap ton. How long was your planned hike, for how many people?

4L is not a ton for dayhiking San Gorgonio (nearly 6k elevation gain/loss and ~17 miles)

Echoing the other posters saying use trekking poles (or pole) to save your knees on the downhills.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Has anyone here successfully gotten back into backpacking after suffering a spinal disc hemorrhage? I just had one and now I’m terrified that I’ll have to abandon my favorite hobby...

Time heals all wounds

Start digging into r/ultralight and getting your pack weight down as much as possible to help

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Chard posted:

I am trying to find an app that will ask me simple questions about a plant I'm looking at (shape of leaves, flowering y/n, region, etc.) and help me determine its taxonomy. Something roughly equivalent to the Merlin Bird ID app. So far all I've been finding are apps where you take a picture and some nebulous group maybe eventually gets back to you about what it is - not very useful on a hike. Has anyone found something like this, ideally for Android?

iNaturalist might be closer to what you're searching for. It doesn't really ask you questions, but you can narrow down the list of flora/fauna in each location by color, type, etc and usually find whatever it is you're looking at.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

underage at the vape shop posted:

I'm planning on doing the Overland Trail in Tasmania in November (summer). I'm a pretty experienced hiker (as much as you can be living in an Australian city, our mountains are weak), but I've never actually bought myself a pair of proper hiking shoes. I've never needed them, you can easily get away with skate shoes on 95% the hikes within 10 hours of my house.

The Overland trail is pretty different to anything I've done though. For one, it gets snow at any time of the year. I've done overnight hikes and weeklong camps but I've never done a 7 day hike. From what I've read on the internet, your feet are just going to be wet all week, because it doesn't get hot enough to dry your boots out and the trail looks like this:

I know absolutely nothing about boots or shoes and I'm getting a bit of decision paralysis. There's so many different boots to choose from and there's people on the internet (like reddit etc) saying to just get trail runners. Where do I even begin? I'm estimating my pack will be 17kg, that seems to be the average.

You'll regret getting anything that doesn't dry quickly. Another trail runners vote here. Make sure you use them out on the trail well before your planned hike -- you'll need to build up your foot and ankle muscles with them.

I used Altra Lone Peak 3.5s all last year, including going up the snow chute to summit Whitney with microspikes and an ice axe in June. I had on waterproof gaiters that went up to my knee as well.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Levitate posted:

Maybe because I never replaced the default insole but Lone Peak 3.5s just seemed too sloppy on my feet, not something I wanted to take off trail or rocky terrain.

Sounds like you need lower volume shoes than Altras. Check out some La Sportivas like the Bushido and Wildcat.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Icehouse is probably still very snowy. Do you have traction for your feet? Poles or an axe? If so, you can probably make it up to the saddle (about 3 miles one way). After that it gets really hairy.

The front range is probably the only snow free area at the moment. You can start at Chantry Flat and do the Mt. Wilson loop (~14 miles).

Strawberry Peak hike would be good too.

Check road conditions (specifically the 2 / Angeles Crest Hwy) before heading up.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 13, 2019

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Yea those are the poles.

Another option are the monoprice poles: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15319

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Alltrails is good.

Pulling up the area you're searching around in https://www.caltopo.com is also great. Build your own trail!

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

xzzy posted:

This might be a weird question out of nowhere, but anyone in here ever had a scary encounter on a hike with wildlife?

I've got a solo trip planned in the rockies (both in Montana and Canada) this summer and have a couple spots picked out I want to try to overnight. I'm not a complete outdoors beginner, I've been around the block. But I'm no veteran either.. all my backcountry stuff has been with large groups and fauna was a distant concern. I've done google searches and it's pretty easy to find lots of horror stories motivating you to never step foot on a trail without a machine gun but there's also lots of veteran hikers out there that regularly go out solo.

I'm just having trouble getting a sense for how often encounters actually happen (especially in the rockies, where I have very little time spent) and how you deal with them. Reading bear spray tutorials is helpful and all but are light on practical advice that you'd pick up hanging out with a more experienced hiker, so anecdotes are also helpful.

If my idea is asinine I'm fine with that too, I'm not hard committed to these solo hikes so feel free to talk me out of it.

In grizzly territory, I'd probably carry bear spray and keep it readily available (on my hip or whatever) and know how to use it (unlock, aim, and fire within a few seconds if I'm being charged).

Make a big mist/cloud that the bear has to run through. Each brand will tell you how far theirs shoots, etc.

Statistically you are unlikely to have any negative wildlife experience. But be prepared if you do.

Black bears will usually be more afraid of you than you are of them. If they do fight you, attack back and fight for your life.

Brown bears are different. In general they do not care about you, and certainly aren't afraid. A grizzly may bluff charge you. If it decides to attack for real, lay down on your stomach, spread out your legs so it can't flip you over, and protect the back of your neck and head as much as you can. Play dead otherwise, make yourself seem non-threatening.

Be aware of where you might likely surprise a bear, which is the most dangerous way to encounter one. Blind turns on trail, near water sources, berry patches etc. In general, make some noise while you're hiking around to alert wildlife of your presence. Never get between a mother bear and her cubs. Never run. Talk in a loud clear voice and slowly back away. Don't maintain direct eye contact.

Again, the statistical chance of something like that happening is incredibly small. Your life is in much greater danger on your drive to/from the trailhead.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 29, 2019

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I have super wide feet and had to size up a full size in my Lone Peaks. Haven't gotten a single blister since I switched two years ago.

Shoes are very personal. Have to try on many to find what works for your foot shape and gait.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I would stay away from any waterproof shoes or boots unless you're actually going to be hiking in snow.

Further reading from our lord and savior Andrew Skurka:

https://andrewskurka.com/2012/why-waterproof-shoes-will-not-keep-your-feet-dry/
https://andrewskurka.com/2016/conditions-hiking-waterproof-footwear-winter-system/

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Hey thread! Going on a short trip with my buddy and our dogs next weekend, and we’ll need to purify water. I have a pump filter, but I haven’t used it in years. How long do these things usually last in storage? It’s been stored at relatively the same temperature (maybe around 70-75 degrees) and hasn’t been exposed to light.

Alternatively go to Walmart and buy a Sawyer Squeeze for ~$30 and never look back. Lighter and faster than any pump.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Finished my 2nd Cactus to Clouds hike this past weekend. The first part of the hike up to Long Valley was easier for me this year because I've been doing a lot of leg strength training, but the second part from the valley to the summit involved mostly snow travel that slowed us down. Last year it was bone dry by May.

My final stats were:

21.2 miles
11,181' vertical gain
37:43 min/mile average
1 very long day

Started at 2am with a 25lb pack (overnight gear, 5L water, 4,000 calories food). The hike should only really be attempted in the early spring/late fall due to temps. There are some awful horror stories about people dying on this hike.

Pics:

https://imgur.com/a/Jrxetrt

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

fknlo posted:

So far, so good with the Altra Lone Peaks. Paired with toe socks and a band-aid blister thing on my little toes I've had zero issues the last 2 hikes. They were both shorter hikes, but I get blisters on those as well as longer ones, so it's a good start!

That's my exact footwear combo. Zero blisters since I made the switch.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Rolo posted:

I was still drinking plenty of water, which was making me pee about every 10 minutes or so, totally clear urine.

You're actually over-hydrating if you're urinating this often. At proper hydration levels, an ordinary hiker will be peeing every 2-3 hours-ish and it should be light yellow.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Kaal posted:

Ziplock bags nestled within ziplock bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Alamoduh posted:

I need a recommendation for custom length tent poles.

I pack my tent in my motorcycle saddlebags, but the poles have to go in on a diagonal. If the fiberglass segments were an inch shorter, I could just pack them in normally.

Pretty sure Ruta Locura will make custom poles that work for you.