Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

The InReach Mini is what I would get if I were buying today. Pair it with your phone/app via bluetooth and the usability and weight are impossible to beat.

If I just wanted a cheaper/standard HELP SOS deal with a few preset messages like "I am safe, arrived at camp for the night" and "HELP NOW, NEED RESCUE" I'd get a SPOT Gen 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Electoral Surgery posted:

My hiking/climbing pants are getting too blown out to sew up again. I’d appreciate any suggestions that fit these criteria:
- not prana zions
- cinch or stretchy waist that will be comfortable under a harness
- slimmer cut

Outdoor Research Ferrosi pants?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

DreadLlama posted:

Good thing I only asked a dumb question on the internet instead of spent hours looking for something that shouldn't exist. Thanks for the info. Instead of wear anytime pants, I'm looking more for, well specifically, pants for digging maple trees out from the side of the road before the municipality gets them with a brushcutter. I'd rather have pants that say "don't hit me with your car" if you know of any.

Consider getting one of these to throw down before you sit down:

https://www.thermarest.com/seating/seats/z-seat

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Morbus posted:

Honestly I have a stash of routes I'd like to try with 2-3 at the top of my list at any moment, and narrowing things down is usually handled for me by some combination of weather, water/snow/bug conditions, ease of getting a permit, driving distance, and time constraints. I guess doing everything at the last minute has the advantage of making it impossible to agonize over too many choices..

This is basically also how I figure out my weekend trips.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Person Dyslexic posted:

Hello! New to this thread as I just discovered it but I'll try and start adding some pics of my adventures in the White Mountains of NH; My fiance currently holds all the pictures hostage on her phone or I'd put some up now...

Anyways, question for all of you; What's the best way to eliminate heel slip in a new pairs of boots? I have oddly shaped feet and ideally take a 12.5 W, but almost no shoe company on the planet makes these apparently. I just scored some LL Beans off ebay that are 13 W but are SLIGHTLY too big and I am noticing a bit of chaff on the back of my heels while breaking them in this week at work (I walk 2-3 miles around the office on most days so it's a decent testing ground.) I tried doubling up my socks and that seems to work reasonably well, but I don't really want to use double layers unless it is under 50. Planning on doing around 30 miles this weekend and really don't want to end up with two giant blisters instead of feet since that would probably kill most of my plans.

I've read that thicker insoles can help, but I really don't know what brands are decent or even what kinds might be ideal for taking up a bit of extra space. Any advice? (Hoping the advice isn't going to be "Get smaller shoes" because these are insanely comfortable aside from the slight slipping).

As an aside I also scored some size 13 Lowa Renegade III GTX LO's for cheap and holy crap they are the most uncomfortable shoes I have ever tried on. They also grip like ice skates; I found them losing traction in a slight rain on PAVEMENT.

I would recommend trying different lacing techniques as well, and being mindful of where you keep your laces tight on the boot and where you keep them loose.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

So something I've been wanting to do is develop my ability to do back country navigation. I mostly just stick to pretty established trails and would like to do some more adventurous hikes. Of the people I go hiking with, I'm the one whose most keen, so I'm not getting those skills here.

I was curious if anyone had any good online resources for this sort of thing? Youtube vids or whatever. I'll find a place that offers navigation courses (I'm not going to watch a video and then wander off into the bush to die) but was thinking it would be nice to become a bit more familiar with the theory before I do.

Our lord and savior Andrew Skurka has two good videos on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWaR_hWqm4E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGX8DB_3OzQ

Just start small. Go hiking on an established trail and pick a destination somewhere on the map you need to off-trail to get to a short ways. 1-2 miles. Make your way there, then head back to the trail. This will build your confidence up.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Size 14 Altra Lone Peak / Timps / Escalante checking in. Best shoe I've found for my wide bois. I get ~400-500 trail miles out of the trail runners, and the Escalantes are still going strong with a load of road miles on them.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

black.lion posted:

Thing 1: Boots!
Thing 2: A Tent!
Thing 3: A Backpack!

Prelim packing list:

Boots - every person is different, you really really really have to go try stuff on. Nobody can give specific recommendations for what will work for you. PERSONALLY I do all of my hikes and backpacking trips in trail runners, unless it's snow/winter. Then I use boots.

Tent - 3 season tent is the default, otherwise you get a 4 season if you plan to do winter/snow camping. I would recommend these for 3 people or 2+ dogs -- both are pretty light and won't break the bank:

https://www.tarptent.com/product/cloudburst-3/
https://www.rei.com/product/110841/rei-co-op-quarter-dome-3-tent

Backpack - should be the last thing you buy so you know how much volume you need to fit your gear. I won't recommend the really expensive ultralight cottage brands because you can't really try them on before you buy. The REI Flash line is pretty light, pretty cheap, and gets good reviews:

https://www.rei.com/product/148589/rei-co-op-flash-55-pack-mens
https://www.rei.com/product/126709/osprey-exos-58-pack-mens
https://www.gossamergear.com/products/mariposa-60-lightweight-backpack

Prelim packing list - here are a few of my packing lists. I don't really bring too many comfort items, so if you bring your own version of each thing on this list you won't be forgetting anything essential:

https://lighterpack.com/r/egbf8v
https://lighterpack.com/r/d6rzfw

For your water filter, just grab a pair of Sawyer Squeezes (not Sawyer Minis or Sawyer Micros) and never look back. They can screw directly onto the top of standard water bottles (most people use smartwater bottles/ tall and skinny) and you can drink directly from them.

Personally I would not take a camp chair or hammocks but I like to go light (and my knees and back thank me). Skip the deodorant, you're all going to stink anyway and it will do nothing but attract curious wildlife. Bring a trowel (I recommend Deuce of Spades) so you can dig proper Leave No Trace catholes for your poops. Bring extra baggies to pack out used TP and trash.

Good luck and have fun!

khysanth fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 13, 2020

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Boots don't protect you from rolled ankles -- strong support muscles do.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Since we're still on footwear chat:

I wear trail runners with gaiters to keep rocks/sand out pretty much all Spring/Summer/Fall with microspikes when necessary. I've enjoyed the Altra Lone Peaks and the Altra Timps so far. I wear a size 14 and have wide feet.

For most of my easy class 3/4 Winter/mountaineering, I have some B1 boots (a little bit of flex) to pair with my strap-on crampons (with flex bars installed so they don't pop off). Lowa Renegade GTX Mid hiking boots are my choice since they come in wide models. Almost no break-in period on these either.

For anything more difficult or sustained class 4/5, rigid B2/B3 boots with crampons. La Sportiva Nepal Cube GTX.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 9, 2020

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Just takes commitment and willpower honestly. Get all your poo poo ready the night before so that you can wake up, throw on your clothes, grab your pack, and go. This is how I manage to wake up at 4:15am on a Saturday to drive 90 minutes to a trailhead to beat the heat for my big day hikes.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Wife and I did the High Sierra Trail over 5 days (9/2 --> 9/6).

Got super lucky with smoke from all the fires. First day hiking in from Crescent Meadow to Hamilton Lake it was a bit smoky, but cleared up that night.

Night two at Morraine Lake was the smokiest -- it started blowing in as we arrived and got pretty bad when we went to sleep.

When we woke up in the morning though, clear blue skies! We dropped down into the Kern the next day and stayed north of all the smoke. Slept like babies at Junction Meadow Trail Camp.

Got up early on morning four and climbed up to the east to Guitar Lake. Again, clear skies.

Woke up at 2am and made the Mt. Whitney summit in time for sunrise. Didn't hit smoke until we got down to Lone Pine Lake, about an hour before getting to our car at Whitney Portal.

A++ would recommend our luck.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Just went snowshoeing this past weekend in a few feet of fresh powder. Trail was not broken, they were a lifesaver. On the way down, a dude was following our tracks up wearing just microspikes and he was post-holing up to his knee, even on the snow that we partially compacted with our snowshoes.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

a friendly penguin posted:

I'm trying to break into backpacking without knowing anyone in the area who does (Maryland) and just need a couple more things before I finally just go solo. Any recommendations for best water filter for east coast backpacking? I keep wanting to go into my local shop and ask, but the covid thing is making me go further away from people.

Get a Sawyer Squeeze

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

PCT is my bucket list hike for sure. Will probably do it in sections because life.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Not a Children posted:

Re: Extending hikes
- We're hoping to eventually be up for overnights or entire weekend hikes. Is there a way to ease into that or is the best way to just buy a tent/pad/sleeping bags and a pack to shove all that in and just go for it?

Lighter gear will make backpacking more enjoyable. https://www.reddit.com/r/ultralight

For your first overnight trip, general wisdom is to keep it very low stakes and short. Somewhere you can park, hike in 3-5 miles with all your gear, set up camp and stay the night, the hike out the next day. If anything goes wrong or something isn't working out, you're only a couple hours away from the car. It'll help you figure out what you want/need to adjust before getting into higher stakes/longer trips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Topping out of Zen Chute on Mt. Baldy on 1/8. Started the hike at 5a and began the climb up the bowl at 6:30a before the sun started hitting it. Perfect conditions. Way too many people down below starting a bit late, and even more not starting until 11-noon at even greater avalanche risk.