Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
http://nhpr.org/post/new-york-hiker-found-dead-white-mountains

Sometime died in the Presidential Range in the Whites yesterday while doing a hike. This is a pretty common hike in the summer and I've attempted it a few times in the winter, but always turned back due to high winds. Even when it's single digits, the windchill brings it down to negative temperatures easily. I don't know what would have convinced her it was alright to continue beyond the tree line solo without a partner in conditions where most of the time you can just barely be standing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
EMS recently changed their return policy, they used to be like REI with a Lifetime Satisfaction Guarantee but now it's no returns for anything used :(
This sucks because I was just about to exchange a fleece and a pair of Microspikes.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Speleothing posted:

Boo loving hoo. I guess you'll just have to put money into the system like any other industry.

It's one thing to return a pair of boots I've had for 4+ years and hiked countless miles in. But what about my Microspikes that broke after 2 trips? Sucks that people abusing their policy caused them to change it.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

lollybo posted:

Anybody have a favorite smartphone GPS app? I currently have the backcountry navigator demo installed and it is pretty decent, however the interface sucks and you have to pay for the good maps. I heard from some people that Gaia GPS has worked better for them, but I thought I would ask you all if anyone has had good experiences with any apps.

Caltopo.com is a great resource for printing out your own topographic maps, since you pretty much always want a paper backup anyway.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Putting Dr Bronners Peppermint Soap on your balls is amazing :feelsgood:

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Hey guys, I want your opinion: night hiking in the northeast in a state park where black bears are known to roam, what's the line between crazy and reckless?

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Aug 29, 2015

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I know Spot trackers aren't very highly regarded because their functionality is very limited compared to a real professional-grade GPS transponder, but is there an app that can do much of the same task for phones? Like an app that will get your phone to ping a position every time interval and place it onto a map that can be shared to others?

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Anyone have recent trail conditions for Mt Mansfield or Camel's Hump in VT?

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I want to hike with my dog but he's old so I need a pack that can also carry him when he's tired :(

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I thought I was sold on trail running shoes for hiking in the north east but then I twisted my ankle badly when fallen leaves obscured the terrain and I stepped in some pretty uneven dirt while descending. Maybe I'll keep them for spring/summer hiking. Also they seem to be more lacking in traction on some slippery rocks but I'm not too certain my heavy vibrant-soled boots could have done much better.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

eSporks posted:

Consider a Hammock, I would try and borrow one before you invest though.

At home I am a side sleeper, and I toss and turn from side to side all night long. I wake up with all the blankets twisted around me like a tootsie roll. There is something about the way a hammock cradles you that is incredibly comfortable for me. I can sleep the whole night through on my back without waking up at all.

You probably mean like a twizzler or lollipop (the helical kind). Tootsie rolls are relatively cylindrical.

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 27, 2015

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
My experience with microspikes was that they were good for mixed trails with rough patches of ice, as well as packed snow. But if the terrain is too steep, crampons are far better especially since you get spikes at the toes. The silicone strap for microspikes is pretty durable but I did snap one while putting them on my hiking boots. Glad Kahtoola has a good warranty though.

Anyone have good recommendations for a winter boot? I don't want something heavy like Sorels, but I'm not in mountaineering territory so I'm looking for extremely rigid boots either.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

chef posted:

School me on winter hiking and possibly snowshoeing. I just moved to Seattle and am really sick of sitting around this depressing city. What do I need to get out for day hikes in the snow- and how do I go about it? I have winter clothes for skiing. I'm not talking any mountaineering or anything, but I would like to go for a long walk on a trail and hopefully see some views. No overnights.

Gaiters I know will be on the list, but what about footwear? Do I need a full on winter boot? I do have waterproof hiking boots, but they are mid rise and no insulation and I tend to run cold in general.

Then what about traction? Microspikes for 1-4 inches or so? Then snowshoes after that? How do I pick a good trail for winter? I know I'll be slower, but by how much? Thanks!

Snowshoes provide float and some traction, while microspikes and crampons provide traction only. Basically, for lightly packed snow, you'd need snowshoes. You can get by with snow boots for packed snow.

When you need light traction, you can use snowshoes or microspikes. Since microspikes are only held on by silicone straps, crampons work better if you're going up steep terrain. And since you're starting out, honestly, microspikes will work for 90% of everything you hike.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

talktapes posted:

REI at least has a return policy (EMS doesn't). Also it's over an hour to drive to the nearest one whereas there's an EMS 10 minutes up the road

EMS's return policy was until 2 years ago at least as good as REI's (now it's just 30 days? 1yr? with receipt), and while EMS doesn't have a dividend, there's pretty much a 20% off coupon at least once a season. Also if you have a student ID EMS should be 15% off. Got a lot of gear this way. Shame if they're going out of business. Their wilderness school/guide program is top notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

theHUNGERian posted:

Can anybody recommend sunglasses for hiking? If it matters, I'll be at 10000 ft, but I don't expect any snow/ice.

Edit: I ended up ordering a Julbo Bivouak with Camel lenses.

I'm ambivalent with the people saying to use whatever glasses. You definitely want polarized which is a little bit more but an anti-fog coating is very very nice to have when you're doing stuff in the winter, especially if you're bundled up so your breath goes straight up your face. I had Julbos (Run with Zebra lens) which were great but I became so paranoid about losing them. I ended up dropping them and couldn't pop the lens back in fully, so back to EMS they went.

I tend to use sunglasses as eye-protection in the New England woods, nice to not have to worry about small twigs and branches. I wear Sunskis, their price point is fine and they're very light.