Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I have sadly fallen out of my habit of hiking/backpacking since graduating college. As a result I have grown soft and fat. What are some good places in NJ that are nice weekend hikes for me to get my groove back on? Thinking AT/Harriman mostly but wondering if there are any other hidden gems for short treks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Hungryjack posted:

I got the email that it had arrived, so I swung down to REI to pick up my expensive new toy tonight. I think this will work out just fine. Now to order some Tyvek on Amazon and make myself a custom footprint for it and I'm good to go.

I find it to be extremely roomy, yet light and surprisingly sturdy. I like the two doors and the rainfly makes a vestibule over each of them for even more covered storage space. Although it would be overkill from a space standpoint, I could even see myself taking this for solo camping until I figure out which bivy I want to get.

That pole setup looks kinda complicated. How many separate pieces is it in?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

How does everyone like the Sawyer mini? I've been using drops for my water, but it seems like a decent step up in the world. Any reasons why I may hate it?

I've heard good things about the Renovo Trio. Filtration is a bit finer as well (but not enough to really make a difference I don't think).

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

So I see a lot of talk about people doing 2+ weeks at once. My question is: How much food do you take along and what kinds? The idea of carrying several weeks worth of food is somewhat intimidating.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

If you can't get more food somewhere, you carry two weeks of food. Plan it carefully, bring calorie rich foods. Two weeks of food at ~1.5 lbs (depending on person/exertion/moon) is ~21 lbs. If you're base weight is say, 12 lbs., you'll be okay. It gets lighter as you go, of course.

Planning food carefully is more important than anything else for me, anymore. Being hungry, not eating enough for a day's exertion, and eating unsatisfying meals is a big drag. Hot cereal, warm dinners, and snacks I actually look forward to are huge helps. The days of surviving on Clif bars and raisins are loving gone, and good riddance.

I wash up a little with water only in the middle of sunny days, maybe every 3 days. More often if it's really dusty/messy.

I can respect the sentiment of not wanting to eat clif bars for every meal. I like them from time to time but would probably leap into a gorge if it was nothing but those and gorp for 2 weeks.

Can you give some actual examples for your meal planning? Everything I see indicates fat- heavy foods for maximum energy density. Accurate?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

What do you people do that you can take off 2+ weeks at a time to backpack? And how do I get in on that?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Where are some places to camp for free on the way coast? Seems everywhere I look there are Reservation fees for camping areas. I just want to be able to walk till I've had enough, find a clearing, spend the night and keep moving the next day.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Levitate posted:

what's "way coast"?

do you mean west coast or am I missing something.

My phone autocorrect sucks and I didn't notice.

I actually meant EAST coast. I did some looking and apparently there is no dispersed camping allowed anywhere in New Jersey. PA also seems spotty.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

So I'm hiking the Batona trail in mid November and am interested in a good/decent underquilt for my hammock. Probably looking at around <30F at night so something with a good temp rating is ideal. I'm more flexible on weight.

Anyone know something good in the range I'm looking at that won't break the bank?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Agreed to both of you. I usually put down a layer of reflective material, followed by a foam pad, followed by the sleeping bag. I usually have an issue when the pads slide around under me and I lose insulation so thought I'd give a quilt a try and maybe lose the foam and reposition the reflectix.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

eSporks posted:

What is this?

Also wondering this. Assuming rogue autocorrect.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

What's everyone's favorite sleeping pads?

Also murder fish for their tasty flesh.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

bonds0097 posted:

Have you ever tried to eat a still living fish? It is not easy.

First step is to rip its spine out with your teeth :black101:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

So I know it was mentioned previously but can't find it now. Looking for anti-chaffing/blistering powder/cream. I think it was this monkey butt brand stuff?

What's your preferred method of not having the skin of your inner thighs grind off while hiking?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Ended up grabbing some Reebok 10$ nylon boxers. They worked pretty well but rode up after a while and my thunder thighs started rubbing. On the whole they worked well, though. Might look into 9" versions.

Did a nice 12 mile hike today in Wharton State Forest to check out the route for the backpacking trip I am taking my scout troop on in a couple weeks. It was a perfect day for hiking in the Pine Barrens.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Planning an overnight trip next weekend but my backpack is torn to shreds from my trip to New Mexico years ago. What are some good medium- size packs I should look into? Hear a lot of good things about Osprey brand stuff.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Hypnolobster posted:

You can't go wrong with Osprey for an ultra durable and endlessly warranty repair/replacement backpack. I slid down a crappy PA mountain years ago on my Aether 70 and tore it basically in half and Osprey sent me a new one. If they could have fixed it instead, they would have.

There isn't really any dud in the lineup, so just pick something the size you want and go for it. The Atmos 50 is probably about right.

That is a helluva glowing recommendation.

Might check out the Atmos 65 just because is like to maybe do some longer treks in the future and I couldn't justify buying multiple hiking packs to my girlfriend. I could rationalize it internally, but they expensive.

Can the Atmos be custom fitted like the aethers and ariels?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

So picked up an Atmos 65 per thread recommendation. Going on a trip this weekend. pack weighs 28lbs sans water (have food packed in but 2 Mountain House meals and cliff bars don't weigh like anything). That seems... very heavy, but am mentally justifying that by saying I need more stuff cause camping in Nov gets chilly. Is that good logic or am I just bad at this?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I think you'll be fine but you can probably go lighter. My base weight with the same pack, no food or water, is 21 lb, and I haven't cut weight that aggressively.

I'll list off the crap I got in here:

-pack cover
-light rain jacket
-clothing (2 pairs hiking socks, boxers, baselayer, extra pair of pants)
-Grand Trunk Double Hammock (1lb 7oz)
-underquilt (900g according to site)
-down mummy bag being used as top quilt (~2-3 pounds)
-Kelty Noah rain 9x9 fly (1lbs 12oz)
-5' reflectix (weighs effectively nothing)
-Folding fiskars camp saw
-light weight stove and butane
-First aid kit probably <1lb total
-Kataydn Water pump filter
-Hiking poles (0.5lbs each according to amazon but they sure don't feel that heavy)

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Tigren posted:

Why do you need a camp saw?

Why do you need 1lb of first aid equipment?

Why do you need an extra pair of pants for what sounds like one/two days?

If you're using your hiking poles, don't add them to your total weight. They're not on your back, right?

- It's just a little guy for cutting stuff for a fire. Could certainly get by without you, you're right.

- I oversimplified. The bag containing my first aid stuff also contains toiletries, a trowl, meds, body glide stick, etc. It weighs a half pound at max.

- Because I will be camping by a stream and it has been raining a lot recently and I don't want to have wet pants while expecting temps in the low 30s. That seems like a bad idea.

- This is true. They will not be on my back for the most part.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Looking for a good quality outer shell/rain jacket that won't break the bank. 200$ range ideally. Needs to be pretty rugged too or Imma break it real quick.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I bought a Marmot last time at rei but returned it two days later cause it discolored in the rain and looked grungy as hell after a single rain. Was not pleased. I take it that's not common in their products?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I am very distrustful of steripens conceptually. Can someone who has one let me know how well they work. I understand the science behind them, but for some reason that ain't convincing me.

Filter and then use the pen? Don't bother with filter? How do I do this?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Going camping this weekend to mid 50s and possibility of a little rain. In February.

The nights will be chilly though so a great chance for me to try my new hammock setup :dance:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I actually had a really good store bought dehydrated boil-in-bag meal I got at rei that was black beans and rice with peppers and Jack cheese and stuff. Was very good and very dense. Also vegetarian if you're all about that life. I just grabbed it cause black beans and rice is bulletproof.

Edit: brand name Maryjanesfarm

Crazyeyes fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 1, 2016

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I remember hiking in New Mexico and seeing a big as hell bear. That bear up there is much bigger and hellish.

Bears are cool, but terrifying, things.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I don't sleep perfectly flat in my hammock. The only way for me to accomplish that is the hang it super tight and then the sides squeeze my shoulders too much. If I had a Hennessey with asymmetrical hang I might be better off in that department but I don't and I won't for a while, if ever.

I don't mind sleeping with a little curvature, though.

Crazyeyes fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 13, 2016

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Fall Dog posted:

I ordered a pair of Altai boots that someone posted about a while back. I was a little hesitant because it was a blind purchase but they were super comfortable right out of the box, didn't need much effort at all to break in and definitely live up to their waterproof/breathable claim.

http://www.altaigear.com/shop/waterproof-tactical-boot/

I wore them for a total of 12 hours over 2 days around the house before hiking 22km during an overnight weekend away. Didn't notice any hot spots or rubbing but the only thing I'd need to do different would be a lacing configuration to make them more comfortable with steep uphills or crouching. The sizing advice on the site is pretty spot on and it looks like if you're in the US you can get a refund if you're not happy with them. My feet did feel a bit sore on day 2, but that was more to do with me not being used to carrying 1/4 my body weight all day.

The trip was to test out a bunch of my gear and I've decided I'm not happy with my bivvy bag/sleeping bag set up so I'm in the market for a 1 person tent. I've narrowed my choices down to the MSR Hubba NX and the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 with a slight favour to the Big Agnes. Do you guys have any experience with these to help me make a choice? I'm also interested in getting a camo tarp to give a little extra shelter and lower the camp signature if I decide to do a day hike or something after putting the tent up.

This must be providence. I was just talking about needing to get a new pair of boots, I decide to check out this thread after a while and here you are talking about your fancy boots.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah I'm reading reviews and info on their page. They have a discounted version in a discontinued color, so it's an attractive situation.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

taqueso posted:

I've always used the normal bottle lid and kept the pump with the stove. Now that you have me thinking about it, I'm not sure if you can get away with keeping the pump on the bottle, I never tried.

I always thought gas would leak out if you left to pump on the bottle. I always capped it.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Look at you goons walking on solid ground and not energy sapping sand!

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

EPICAC posted:

I've read a bunch of comments like this heaping praise on hammocks, but it seems like it would only be comfortable if you're a back sleeper. I'm a stomach sleeper, and can't imagine a hammock would work for me. Is it possible to comfortably sleep on your stomach in a hammock?

As a stomach/side sleeper myself, I can tell you it is not only possible, but very straightforward once you get the hang dialed in. Good hammocks aren't even really meant to be slept in in the way you might envision. A diagonal lay is much more comfortable than the "banana" method.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Not exactly stable footing, but with perseverance and dedication, I reckon so.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

The only issue I have with my hammock is the sides squeezing my shoulders a little bit when on my back. It can be a little uncomfortable and have not quite figured out how to alleviate that strain without sagging low and putting my fat rear end on the ground.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Piss bottle keeps you warm.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Go to REI (or whatever local flavor of camping store you have by you) and get an emergency bivy bag. It will be in the first aid section. They are cheap, weigh nothing, and can save your life.

If you've never done overnight camping before, I wouldn't suggest the "under a tarp" strategy for your maiden voyage.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

gohuskies posted:

Get a filter. It's easier to filter water than to carry a ton of it and I usually end up using more water than I expect I will.

This. It is by far better to bring a filter and not need it than the inverse.

Edit: if there are no water sources where you're going then plan accordingly with extra extra water.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

turevidar posted:

sawyer mini is super popular, I have a katadyn hiker pro that I like, it's bombproof, more expensive, and heavier.

Have one of these as well. Good for filtering lots of water quickly. Excellent for group camping.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Looks great. Really dig the cabin, by the way. Very jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I used to scoff at trekking poles, but then started doing a little more research. I now use them so that my 26 year old knees are still able to move properly when they are 60 year old knees. Backpacking can be very hard on the lower joints, and poles alleviate a significant amount of that stress. They are also great to use on uneven ground to avoid rolling ankles/blowing knees/whatever by giving more points of support.

They take some getting used to, but I expect they will help me keep hiking years after many others had to quit due to joint problems.

Crazyeyes fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 18, 2016