Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Hypnolobster posted:

Dirty girl gaiters and trailrunning shoes (or just hiking shoes, there are no trailrunning shoes that fit my wide gently caress feet) is the greatest combo ever. The first time you step into something wet and water gets inside your big heavy goretex hiking boot, you're hosed.

Asics makes some trail runner in 3E - 4E, maybe try those out. As someone who requires a 13 2E I feel your pain (from narrow shoes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Aluminum is light, but has a tendency to permanently deform and become weaker as it is bent and twisted. Titanium has a tendency to stay stronger for longer, as it is more durable in the bend and twist type motions.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've gone through more camp cookware than anyone should in a lifetime. Aluminium in my experience is a bend dont break type material. Titanium seems to be more durable up until the point it just breaks. I will say that I think aluminium is easier to cook on. Maybe it's just the stoves I've used but they seem to heat faster and burn food quicker.

Science explanation:

Aluminum when bent tends to permanently deform (plastic deformation) and when stretched narrows extensively (necking) before breaking. As such aluminum noticeably wears before breaking

Titanium when bent tends to snap back into shape (elastic deformation) and when stretched narrows only slightly before breaking. As such titanium seems to catastrophically fail with little warning. Also as a harder material it tends to micro crack so without a microscope wear can not be seen.

Titanium is a good metal for high impact applications while aluminum is okay for most purposes otherwise. When testing these materials in a durability situation titanium is superior, as it snaps back into shape easier and can stand more cycles before becoming noticeably weaker.

Apprentice Dick fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 15, 2015

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
ALPS self inflating sleeping pad is $30 on Amazon Prime Deals right now

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Hungryjack posted:

I like Underarmour 6" boxer briefs. They also make a 9" length. Alternately, tri shorts work, but some people are weird about tight-fitting clothes as the outside layer. But that worked for me through 24+ hour hikes in the past with no chafing.

Adidas makes Climalite branded underwear that are almost identical, but they are half the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Yooper posted:

Salmon talk. What kind of salmon? I can't stand tuna and most canned salmon I've tried seem to taste strangely tuna-ish. I've brought vac packed smoked salmon on trips before and loved it but I'd like to find a tuna substitute that isn't bad canned salmon.

I like the pouches of flavored salmon that Chicken of the Sea and Starkist make. They are decent enough that I have them on hand regularly for lunch plus they don't need drained like cans.