Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
For blisters you can always throw some EGNO patches (https://goengo.com) in your gear. They're great for when you find out you have a hotspot in the middle of a trip but if you have persistent problems they're probably not the best choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Thirding or fourthing the vote for poles. Poles are super handy on the downhills or rocky trails in general. They saved me from going turtle with my big rear end pack on my back multiple times. Only time poles are a bad idea is if you're my friends' autistic son and they somehow cause you to hike slower.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

I hate, HATE making bear hangs... just find a limb at least 15 feet in the air with no other limbs underneath it, then toss the line over it about 6 feet away from the trunk! Easy! Maybe I can find loving Hoffa's body while I'm at it! It might be easier elsewhere but hanging a bear bag in the New Mexico mountains has been a pain just finding a suitable tree every time.

I think maybe 3 or 4 times I've found a technically correct limb for a bear hang. Usually camp is surrounded by pine trees that at best let you get your bags off the ground 15 feet... but roughly 4 inches from the trunk.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I used to go backpacking as the chaperone of a youth group. The group isn't around anymore so how do other adults find people to backpack with when all their friends aren't into it?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
In the WI area is the Superior Hiking Trail, Porcupine Mountains, and Isle Royale but there is nothing really on Wisconsin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

charity rereg posted:

On most trips I absolutely carry a light, soft, comfy cotton T in a separate ziploc and I treasure it with my life. It is my reward at camp, only to be worn at camp at night. It feels like heaven. It can easily be "sun washed" on nice days by laying it out over your pack while you hike. I have a pair of really lightweight soccer shorts too that I'll sometimes take if it's warm, not sleeping in anything you "move" in is nice.

We'd always tell kids on youth group trips for clothes you should have clothes to wear, clothes to change into when those get wet, and then clothes to sleep in. One kid I double checked his pack when he could fit any group gear and removed like 5 additional pairs of underwear.