Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I don't know how freaky or unusual this is but I rarely wake up with a desire to eat breakfast, in fact my stomach seems vacuumed shut, and it comes with the consequences of an empty stomach such as low energy. This is an absolute nightmare when I have to step up to the plate at 5am and get moving.

My slow rear end morning self probably needs 2hrs upon waking up to become a normal person because I am a weenie by nature. I still force myself to do cool stuff though!

I'm the same way in the morning. I have to force myself to eat something and then feel a lot more awake. Fruit is good for this because it's easy to just eat a little plum or an apple and peanut butter or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
What we bring for car camping:

Cribbage (miniature board) and deck of cards
Books / magazines
Drone if allowed to use it
Inflatable tubes, hand pump, and rope if on water

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Kawalimus posted:

What's a pair of boots or shoes or what have you that will keep my feet dry if I walk through wet grass or step in a small puddle? That's all I want. I don't care about whatever else and can deal with some drawbacks as long as those are fulfilled. But doing boot shopping is pulling teeth to me.

I love my Merrill hiking boots, but not every style is waterproof (all are water-resistant from what I can tell).

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

DeesGrandpa posted:

Crosspostin, since hiking to fish without catching anything is just hiking:

Got a Sunday permit for RMNP, I decided to forego the tough all day hikes to hit a few lakes I'd never fished in. Tons of beautiful trout that are either not hungry or real jerks or both.

I want to go to there. What lakes are these?

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Bottom Liner posted:

Zion last week

Gorgeous. How crowded was it? We visited in summer 2019, and it was jam-packed. Due to mudslides, the only real trail open was Angel's Landing, which we opted out of. Nothing less fun than a yak line. (Kolob Canyons was terrific.)

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

gohuskies posted:

Personally I think the best base layers in the world are Patagonia capilene. They are expensive but I wear them all the time so they're a place where I am willing to spend a little. For a cheaper option, I recently had Terramar Transport t shirts recommended to me, I think I will pick some up to see how they do. At this price it'd be silly not to: https://www.sierra.com/s~transport/

For the ladies (and gents? don't know) I love the 32° tops and leggings. I run cold in all seasons, and 32° tops are a delightful base. They don't pill much and stretch enough for boobs and hips.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Verman posted:

I also love how Jansport went from being the cheapest backpack you could possibly get for school in the 80s/90s to a trendy hipster fashion icon. Then brands like Herschel basically made the same thing and charges $100 for it.

Jansport wasn't cheap back in the day, but that lifetime guarantee! My mom bought Jansport bags with busted zippers at garage sales and would get the company to replace it for free. Even L. L. Bean cracked down on the "lifetime guarantee" idea after people were doing that.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

mod sassinator posted:

I've never really been wronged by any REI brand piece of gear too. Like their half dome tent--it's not the lightest thing, but it's also not a heavy boat anchor. If you can snag stuff on a sale or even lightly used/returned it's usually a great deal for someone getting started.

I got my REI brand backpack either on sale or at one of the garage sales, and it's been terrific. I don't remember the model, but it's very sturdy and has great zippers.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
Did the Massanutten South Trail today. We picked it up from the 211 access parking lot and went as far as the Yellow Cliffs Overlook. The leaves were quite treacherous for me as I didn't have my boots, but it was beautiful.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/virginia/massanutten-south-trail-to-yellow-cliffs-mountain-overlook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Did Mt. Kilimanjaro in mid-December. It was amazing and I would recommend it as a bucket-list kind of thing for anyone who enjoys hiking and has the means and opportunity. Was going to ask if anyone wanted an effort post, but I figured it would be nice to write it down somewhere, so in the spirit of selfishness and :justpost: enjoy:

Will end it here - if anyone has questions, I'm happy to try and answer them.

Amazing post! I'd love to do this route someday, but I think I'd need to get in better shape on a stair master for sure. Thank you for all the info and pictures!