Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I just got done backpacking in Big Sur's national wildernesses, and the ranger's tales of mountain lion encounters have cured me of my bear fears, totally, for life.

Anyway, if you lived in Chicago and wanted to do a 2/3-day weekend winter overnight backpack, where would you do it? All I can come up with is Kettle Moraine North. Loosely transit-accessible is preferred. Loosely basically means transit+hitchhiking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Yea its often faster to take public transit to the airport and fly anywhere in the country then rent a car than drive anyplace cool from Chicago. My cousins do winter backpacking in the McCormick wilderness in the up every year but it's like a ten hour trip. I honestly usually just go camp on my dad's farm in northern Illinois since it's a lot colder and snowier than Chicago. Not very exciting but it's accessible.

Yeah, I believe it. Sounds like if I want to keep doing regular weekend hikes, I'm going to have to get a bit more casual about hopping on an airplane. In winter, one could make their way across frozen farmland in a way they obviously couldn't in any other season, but I do wonder how long it would take me to get hassled/arrested. The railroads are also a trail substitute, since the actual trails are for jogging and bike commuting. Also there's always the I&M Canal. It's a pretty lackluster bike, but it's neglected and underdeveloped enough to be a serviceable hike.

I mean you're both completely correct. There may be no worse metro for outdoor rec than Chicago.
Maybe I could get a hold of a car to go do a segment of the North Country Trail, for which I thank you for the tip.

e: Maybe I'll just join a climbing gym.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 23, 2013

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Best source for used outdoor apparel?
Best source for used backpacking gear?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Holy poo poo just finished Wernor Herzog's doc on Timothy Treadwell. Worth watching because:
1. better bear footage is impossible to produce
2. if you find yourself surrounded by bears and forced to live among them, do exactly as he does and it will take them twelve years to realize you're made of delicious meat, or even become more than annoyed by you.
3. cutest animal in known universe is the fox who likes to climb up his tent and chill there

I love the hatemail from suburban Alaskans, who are naught-less-than enraged that this golden-haired, lisping, childlike gently caress from Malibu convinced hungry bears not to end him, like a half dozen times a week for thirteen summers. Rather than empty his bladder and curse every animal in existence. Though he did pray heartbreakingly hard for rain when he realized he was being eyefucked by an older grizz who was not having much luck at the salmon run. Anyway this is an awesome thing to watch, and you don't have to feel bad/voyeuristic since Tim hated civilization and longed to die with the Grizzlies.

If you're scared of bears, the first 7/8 of this movie will probably help a lot. The rest, eh you know, not so much.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Any books on trailblazing? I want to know much more about trails and how they got there, so I can get better at finding them if I get lost.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

jamal posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good shell/outer layer? Trying to avoid a straight up plastic rain jacket, and goretex is a little out of my price range. So breathability is important but I still want a hood and decent weather protection. So I'm not sure if I should be looking at regular shells or softshells or neoshells or what. I wear my light down jacket as an outer layer and it is usually good enough, but if it is below about 20f or snowing I would like a little extra, and also have something to wear instead of the down when it's not really cold or we're on the way up.

I have the REI Taku which I wear as a sturdy four-season wind/water/snow shell. They're not expensive if you can still find one, and they look really good.

http://www.backpacker.com/fall-gear-guide-09-gear-review-rei-taku-waterproof-jacket/gear/13431
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-REI-Taku-technical-rain-shell-jacket-medium-PERFECT-/151202662652?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item23346188fc

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 8, 2014

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

Speaking of defense, does anyone hike with a gun? Some people I talk to about hiking (esp solo backwoods stuff) say that they do/I should carry a gun for bears and/or meth producers, but that seems loving silly.

I'm not anti gun, I grew up in a hunting family but :shrug:

Guns don't always work like people think they do. Pepper spray almost always does, and I think it's way, way more useful for us. Still, it's a personal choice, so w/e. Guns need a bunch of ancillary poo poo and accessories. I'm anti-gun, but I wouldn't fault someone alone in the backcountry for having one.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 18, 2014

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Levitate posted:

Honestly a random guy pulling out his gun to show you is a lot more scary than a bear.

There's definitely a right and wrong way to let it be known that you are packing. I guess I'd rather know than not know, but it's damned tricky to show a stranger your weapon without leaving the residue of a threat all over the exchange. That's the whole point of showing someone your weapon. Probably better to draw absolutely no attention to the dangerous bit of machinery. Sometimes I pop over to the large BLM sites and make friends, two times there have been pistols laying around their pop-up campers. Certainly hijacks your attention, but I calm myself and accept the hospitality. Travelers got to play it cool all the time.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
People who come up with actual pack weights under twenty lbs also make major sacrifices most of us would not be comfortable making. Ultralight backpacking can also be very dangerous if you didn't guess the weather right. Also it's really loving expensive.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
You searched for "backpacking guitar"
Perhaps you're looking for banjo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
snoe-show, snow-show, snoe-shoe
I cannot google this footwear to save my life. Luckily REI rents them in CO.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Anybody do Long's Peak in CO? Recommend it to a noobish solo hiker/boulderer?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

It's about a difficult as a "hike" can be in Colorado. No technical ability is required, but if you're stupid you'll probably die and I don't know you, so ??? People die on that "hike" nearly every year.

gently caress it I'll do Elbert.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Oxford Comma posted:

Long shot but does anyone know if a place within an hour of the SF Bay Area where I can hike off-trail? Ideally with some trees?

Hmm.
Can you make it to Reno?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Man, gently caress all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I wish I had a picture. I did an impromptu three-night in Utah with an Osprey commuter pack. Used kayaking straps to lash everything (tent, 15 degree bag, 1.5 liter bottles) real tight together into a 35-lb pack, and cut up the lower quarter of my sleeping pad into hip and shoulder pads. Scrampled up the slickrock no problem. Do not recommend, because I'd be up a variety of creeks if it all came apart, though I think it was pretty one-piece.

Love Osprey packs and their warranty.