Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Levitate posted:

Yeah tbh I just use maps and dont carry a compass. Maybe I should but a good scale map in the mountains can make it pretty easy to navigate and not need a compass

Get an emergency whistle that has an integrated compass. You really ought to have the whistle anyway, so might as well get the compass as a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Any thoughts on using convertible wheeled luggage like:
http://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Conver...ASIN=B00DNTHZS0

Instead of a dedicated backpacking pack? I don't do much hiking/backpacking and I do need new luggage for airport traveling so I was thinking of combining the two into one pack. This one, at least has a daypack that will seperate off the main backpack/luggage and can be used as a hydration pack and storage for a day trip, or I could take the whole thing for a 3ish day vacation. I should also theoretically be able to use it as both a carry on and a personal item for airplanes as well since the two split apart.

Here's a review. They seem fairly positive about it, but I'm still a bit on the fence.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Carry-on-Luggage-Reviews/Osprey-Ozone-Convertible-22

Dumb idea, good idea, or something in between?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Tomato Soup posted:

In my experience, the convertible rolling bag/backpack is pretty much mainly for roller use and you only wear the backpack when you can't roll it. It's not particularly comfortable to wear either with the wheels digging into my hips. That was an old one, it might be better now or they put lots of padding around the wheels so you don't feel them.

The review only talks about it for adventure travel and not how it'd do on the trail. I'd suggest that you get something like this. Small enough for carry on, straps/hip belt with decent padding, built in cover to tuck in the straps when needed, side carrying handle (good for airline travel), lock loops on the zippers for the main pack.

If you get something with an attached daypack, don't expect that you'll be able to wear it attached. You have to wear it on your front or it fucks up your balance. I have a similar pack and eventually I got tired of the attached daypack and started taking a different one that was more packable and less ugly :v: Don't let the attached daypack make or break your purchase.

Okay the Deuter transit 50 looks to be just what I want. Thanks!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

db franco posted:

Hi Friends,

My name is Drew and next week I will be taking my first proper backpacking trip.

One of my friends just got out of the Marines, and thought it would be a good idea to get the high school gang back together for a trip. We graduated in '09 and usually do one or two things a year, so this is this summer's Hoo-Rah.

I'm wondering if anyone has hiked through "The Bob" or the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area. That is where we are going and planning to do ~80 miles in 5 days.

We are leaving on Sunday and I am a big unsure about where to start with my packing efforts. First thing's first I need a pack, so I'll probably head to REI or Midwest Mountaineering for that. He says 75 liter should be good for our uses.

I also need a compression sack. And food.

No questions, just wanted to share that with you all. Going to read through this read to pick up some tips from the experts. I will post pack with pictures!

I dunno man, I'd personally do like half distance for your first real backpacking trip.

At the very least take a rescue beacon in case you roll your foot 40 or so miles away from civilization.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Speaking of water,

Would a filter and a UV sterilizer or chemical sterilizer be a good addition my pack? Or is the filter/UV combo unnecessary or too heavy for what you get? Just want the option to get tons of clean water in case I gently caress up and need to survive for a longer time than I packed water for.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Isn't the Potomac full of really nasty stuff? It was a Superfund site like a decade ago. I don't think you want to be drinking from that regardless of your filter.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

bongwizzard posted:

The goal is to hike the entire 148 miles, which at fishing pace will take me like two weeks. It goes through some little towns where I could fill up, but in the fall I am going to want tea constantly and that will add up quickly.

The lower tidal river is pretty rough, but the upper isn't super awful if it hasn't rained a ton. There are a bunch of feeder creeks and rivers as well, but they have the same access issues.

You're fishing too?

My god man. Are you trying to poison yourself? The safest fish are only okay to have 4 times a month. Some are dangerous with just one meal.

You need to pick a different river to navigate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2016/02/11/for-your-own-safety-please-do-not-eat-these-fish-from-the-potomac/

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Does anyone have any exclusive hiking in south Florida. Like the only poo poo I can find down here are swamps and wetlands. Like the absolute least appealing places to go. Are there any places I'm somehow missing or is all hot muggy garbage down here?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Always start with stairway to heaven.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Also, are you carrying most of the weight on your hips? I've found that if I don't have the hip belt cinched tightly enough, it puts too much strain on my shoulders.

This x1000

The hip belt and chest straps being fit right fixed my similar issues.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

What all do you guys bring for medical supplies on a longer hike? Obviously, how much you need depends on your time away from civilization, but what are the most important items?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Thanks, these are helpful.

I'm an amateur radio operator so I have access to some pretty effective radios that I always bring out with me. So I'm not super concerned about not being able to contact people. It's definitely bulkier and heavier than handheld satellite communicator though.

I hadn't thought about some of those dual uses for the drugs or doubling up on NSAIDs and Tylenol if needed. Those are good suggestions.

It's obviously pretty unbearably hot right now but I'll definitely make sure to include some additional cold weather gear as necessary when it gets cooler.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

Weather turns remarkably fast, especially if folks in your party are unprepared for all possibilities. And are wearing cotton.

I always carry a spare artificial down jacket and an emergency blanket is in the first aid kit.

Not sure how or where you are hiking but radio in the mountains can be sketchy depending on frequency, atmospheric conditions, and direction, which I assume you know. My little Garmin inReach mini rarely loses satellite connectivity. It was well worth the price (Russian hackers notwithstanding)

Yep, that's what a HF radio and skywave orientated antenna are for, so I can communicate with people out of LOS, but still in the US rather than halfway around the world.

You'd be surprised how you can communicate with people a thousand miles away on just a 5 or 10 watt HF radio with the right antenna.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

If I'm going to be in range of a repeater and don't need over the horizon capabilities,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R7LXR7S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_G5JhFbK7DV3DV

Which is IP67 water resistant, good enough for a rain storm. Cheap as hell to replace too if needed. I also pack along a cable to connect it to my phone so I can do digital modes on it like APRS, which is also useful for getting weather updates by directing the packet to WXBOT, and scanning the APRS frequency, 144.390, for 15 minutes is a great way to see which repeaters you can contact, since pretty much all of them broadcast their r and x frequencies on APRS packets every few minutes.

Icom has some IP7 (fully submergible) ham radios as well that I might get once I'm done adding to my kit.

I'd really like to get the ICOM 705 for the hf stuff. But for now in eastern PA, at the places I go, I'm within range of a repeater, since the clubs out here put up towers in the parks.

If I head out to middle PA deep in the Appalachian mountains, I'll either need to add an HF radio or a PLB to my kit. If the 705 isn't available in the next few months I might go with the KX2 from Elecraft

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I really want to get into amateur radio. I got the technician study book but man that's long. I'm too lazy to study. :( I'd love to take a radio into the woods and just play around with trying to listen to people all over. Right now I just have a cheap Baofang with a slightly longer antenna. I want more!

I really recommend it. The technician test is actually quite easy. Read the technician study book through once and then start doing flashcards with something like anki Droid if you have an Android phone.

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/2113417210

Here is the study cards I used.

I did that for about a week and knocked out all the questions. And then took some practice exams on https://hamexam.org/.

When I got 90% on three consecutive tests I went and signed up for an exam. They're available online now so you don't have to go in person.

https://hamstudy.org/sessions

I got a 100% in my exam.

rinse and repeat the operation for the general if you want to continue on to be able to use high frequency bands.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Are those tests that you posted able to be taken online? It looks like it but all of the other ones I've seen have been in person. I'd rather not go to anything in person right now.

Yep they can be taken online if you look at the last link in my post and includes a list of upcoming tests and it will say whether it's on site or online.

There's also a goon discord for ham radio if you're interested.

We have a bunch of people at all the ham levels including those studying.

https://discord.gg/bTum73q

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I use OSMAnd (which is for Android)

It has downloadable maps including a bunch of overlay information and even Wikipedia information. Which can be really useful in off-grid situations.

If you're in a party it also has the ability to take in and pin GPS locations that you get from other people, for instance if they are being transmitted via radio or in my case APRS. You can also share planned routes with folks who have the same app so you can make sure you follow the same trails or end up at the same location.

Offline directions as well of course.

In terms of just managing following a trail I use AllTrails. It has an excellent database of trails and user ratings for them and of course can download the maps for offline use.

I should mention that both of these have purchase options as opposed to subscriptions which was a major selling point for me.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 30, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

What pack?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

What blows me away about the inReach is that the SOS won't work if you don't have the subscription. Like their satellites will straight up pick up your SOS and they'll just ignore you.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Dangerllama posted:

It’s not hosed up. It’s how you get features like SMS (including two-way comms if you hit the big red button) and GPS tracking. Those are recurring costs for Garmin and, thus, recurring costs for users. Moreover, if SOS always worked, it would break the business model, meaning that the other features would either cost more of cease to exist. It’s also clear communicated that SOS capabilities require a subscription.

If you want SOS-only capabilities, there are a number of solid options with no subscription fee. No one is forcing people to choose inReach devices or go into the backcountry in the first place.

Just like how 911 always working even if you don't have a sim in your phone means that it breaks the business model of cell phone companies?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Slimy Hog posted:

I am not, I was basing my comment on this:

If this is the case and you're okay with Garmin doing ignoring SOS calls because they didn't get paid for it, you're a horrible person and I hope to never meet you in real life. (This isn't directed at you FCKGW)

quote:

SOS - There will be no active SAR services. GEOS will NOT provide SOS services without an active subscription.

https://support-inreach.roadpost.ca/kb/articles/using-the-inreach-explorer-while-suspended-or-deactivated

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

They'll get a transmission indicating an SOS from a device that doesn't have an active subscription and they will ignore the transmission. They'll ignore people in distress.

Edit: either that or they will require validation of a current subscription before you leave cell phone coverage and if that isn't in place they will disable the button for SOS. I don't know how that's any better though since in that case they're instructing their device to ignore a user who's attempting to call for help as opposed to instructing their receiving antenna to ignore a call for help.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 31, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

You're probably in good shape since you walked that far, but the obvious suggestion if not is to lose weight.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

I'm 200cm/90kg which is around 6'6" 200lbs. I am a fat rear end, I know it. It is probably the backpack's belt squeezing all that butt fat together..

I used Sloggi cotton maxi briefs. Maybe I should look at some sports underwear. Garments which go into my butt crack feel very uncomfortable even during casual walks around the city, so I like to use tight underwear.

I bought some zinc lube which is used for baby diaper problems. Some say bepanthen also works. Those are just a band-aid.. not a real solution.

Today I woke up and went to morning pee.. and realized I was camping in a spider forest:

200/90 is a healthy BMI of 22.5

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It's better to filter or boil or treat the water your dog is drinking. Obviously it's pretty hard to prevent them from drinking out of any water source they please. But they're as vulnerable to getting parasites as a human is.

I would just make sure that you provide them with a good frequent supply of safe water and don't worry too much if they take a nibble here or there of other water sources.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Has anyone tried The Haven tent? It looks like a pretty nifty hammock with an integrated bug screen and rain fly.

I saw them also set it up as a bivvy and it looked way more spacious than a typical hammock bivvy setup.

https://haventents.com/collections/frontpage/products/october-pre-order-with-insulated-pad-forest-green

https://youtu.be/idAB8jnlryU

Since I don't currently have any sort of sleeping system I'm wondering if I should wait for this to become available again.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I watched a Shug video about it.

Seems like an overbuilt bridge hammock to me. It could be a decent introduction to hammocks, but people usually start out with traditional hammocks then move to a bridge because they like the flatter lay. Its totally a personal preference though, I find bridge hammocks to be more like annoying floating cots than anything else.

If you have NO sleep system currently and are interested in hammocks I'd probably steer you towards a budget setup to get started first. You could get a double layer hammock and use a sleeping pad as a cheap introduction. Otherwise try and get a cheap REI 2 man tent like HalfDome or QuarterDome or Passage or something.

What would you recommend as a cheap starter that isn't trash?

Or are they the sort of things you can just get whatever is available on Amazon and it doesn't matter?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

You're probably right that I should go with another sleep system. I would have to wait 2 months for this one anyway, it's on the heavier side for hammocks, and it's a much harder platform for me to operate some ham radio equipment out of than a tent.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

BaseballPCHiker posted:

What kind of shelter are you looking for exactly? What features are you looking for in a shelter?

Also I too am a Ham operator! I just use my little 2 meter handheld though from time to time, nothing fancy.

I'm probably looking for a single person tent. The passage one or passage two that you suggested earlier seemed like good potential options.

My plan is to bring a QRP setup along with me for HF operation. So that means, most likely, the radio, a small 12-volt LiFePo battery, folding solar panel, and something about the size of a buddistick for the antenna.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

BaseballPCHiker posted:

For a setup like that, yeah I would stick to the ground.

REI passage is a good tent at a great price. I own an older Quarterdome2 and a new HalfDome2+ right now. Both are great tents, that you can usually get pretty cheap with a 20% off coupon if you're a member. If it'll just be you and your gear either one would work no problem and you'd be happy with it. The QuarterDome weighs a bit less and cost more and is smaller. The HalfDome2+ is a tent palace for one, but comes in around 5 pounds which is a normal tent weight for me. If you live out west and dont have to deal with bugs or humidity as much you could probably go lighter with a bug bivy and tarp setup but personally I'd prefer a tent to operate out of.

Oh I forgot about the 20% off per month for one item coupon for REI members. I joined like 3 years ago and I don't think I've ever used that.

I'm definitely going to look into the REI tents then with that in mind. I'll probably go with a lighter one since the ham radio setup will probably be pretty heavy shaving any weight I can here and there will be a welcome improvement.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

xzzy posted:

I feel zero need to poo until about five minutes after I start walking. Workin' them glutes works the doody out.

So I park far from the trailhead or do a couple laps while the wife is getting ready to make sure there's no surprises.

Oh dredging this back up because I had an opportunity to use something this last weekend I'd purchased but never had a chance to use until all the park toilets were closed for covid is a camping bidet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L448T4K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_soEmFbR1K1MTA

Fits over basically any water bottle and works like... well a bidet. For obvious reasons I don't want to use my drinking bottle for it so I bring a roll up bottle like this for it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008W0I7RS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JkEmFbAQF1BTG

I don't bother to fill up the bottle before hand and just sacrifice some of my drinking water to it if the need arises. I bring a water filter even on day hikes so not a big deal since I'm not in the desert.

I still bring a bit of toilet paper to dry off, but you could forgo it for leaves or whatever.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Here's something really rad that I just discovered. It basically lets you line up any map you find whether online or something you take a picture of at the ranger office or along the trail and then after lining up two to four points with the corresponding Google maps locations it will overlay your location onto the map.

The app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.custommapsapp.android

The explanation of how to use it:

https://youtu.be/qVuQenIzwik

And an example of a map of a nearby park to me

If, for instance, the rangers map had a lot more information about camping locations, restrooms, water fountains, etc you could use this to have a GPS linked map on your phone while you're on the trail.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Hey goons, what do you normally take for food if you're going a) day hiking, or b) camping?

For day hiking I usually bring a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a pickle, chips, something sweet like either fruit or some candy, and a drink of some sort.

That's in addition to the normal trail snacks I might bring like energy bars. I always bring enough unperishable food in case I have to spend an unplanned night out if I somehow get lost or hurt myself and can't get to help.

2l of water is generally enough for me for a 3 to 4 hour hike even in hot summer weather where I'm sweating a ton. But I still bring a water filter just in case I need to fill up some more.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Crouching down, without lying down and without putting your hands on the ground Will also help to reduce your risk of a lightning strike. Don't lie down and don't put your hands on the ground while crouching because you don't want to increase the number of contact points with the ground as that reduces your resistance to the flow of electricity and makes you a more appealing target.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

My new pack was a success. I did an 8-hour hike and have no fatigue for my shoulders after all that time. The waist strap and chest strap worked exactly as designed. I probably could have gone even longer but my left foot's arch really started to hurt about 2 hours before I got back so I had to bail on my original harder hike out and choose the easier one.

There are a few things I want to change about the stuff I brought. I think I want to change the dirty water bottle for scooping up water from streams. The one that came with the Sawyer mini was not great to use. I've seen people use smart water bottles on YouTube so I may try one of those.

other than that I just need to tweak a couple of things that I'm bringing in my pack and I think I have a pretty good setup for day hiking.

I did order some trekking poles that should be arriving next week. hopefully those will help a lot with ascents and descents, and they may help to take some of the pressure off of my feet which could help with my arch issue.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

single-mode fiber posted:

I use a pair of Salomon Quest 4D from 1 or 2 update cycles ago and I've been happy with them in that regard. It takes a pretty prolonged exposure to water, either standing in a body of water for several seconds, or brushing through wet plants for a few miles before I notice any dampness getting in.

Also, if you are wearing a non-breathable boot like a leather boot then you can spray it with waterproofing spray to substantially improve its ability to resist water. There are silicone sprays like kiwi camp dry that work pretty well. Just keep in mind that it's going to get in around the tongue and shoelace area as well as that big hole where your leg goes in regardless so this really will only help with the water resistance to the sides of the shoe.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Koth posted:

This has probably been covered in the thread already, but what are some small container suggestions for carrying olive oil?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZT6FK52/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_n88vFbV771GT6

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I personally just watch for REI sales for boots and then I try to pick up leather ones because it's easy to waterproof them with cheap sprays as opposed to getting expensive Gore-Tex boots that cost two or three times as much.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

DeesGrandpa posted:

Curious about that as well. I tried to get into hammock camping a few years back but even in the summer at altitude I froze my rear end off compared to a tent, and would love to see what people are using to winterize hammocks, and especially how much weight/bulk that winds up being compared to my fall/winter tent camping stuff.

Did you get an underquilt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Betazoid posted:

For the ladies (and gents? don't know) I love the 32° tops and leggings. I run cold in all seasons, and 32° tops are a delightful base. They don't pill much and stretch enough for boobs and hips.

I am a guy and I replaced almost all of my clothing with 32° stuff. It’s comfortable doesn’t hold onto water because it’s synthetic and most importantly cheap.

If you’re not in a super hurry to get the clothing sign up for their newsletter. They run pretty frequent sales that can save you a pretty significant chunk of change on their website.