Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Has anyone ever sewn straps to a backpack? My Osprey Stratos 36 is awesome. Except if I throw a sleeping bag in, 75% of my space is gone. I'd line to tie it to the bottom of my bag. But there are no straps! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Yeah I have my bag in a compression sack, but its still kinda bulky. Its actually not super-huge but it takes up a ton of room inside my pack, and its annoying. Maybe I'll return the pack to REI - I bought it about a year ago give or take. Can I still do that?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
I have another Osprey in 70L or thereabouts. It's great for longer trips. I wanted something smaller for a daytime or overnight bag. The Stratos 36 is perfect except if I decide to take my sleeping bag space can get kinda tight. I'll look at it again tonite and see if I can rearrange things.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
I returned my Osprey Stratos 36 to REI yesterday. Got a Kelty Redwing instead. It's not quite as nice or comfortable as the Osprey, but I'm very happy with it. I really dislike bags with a bunch of mesh and such on the outside. It always seems to get snagged on something. So the Redwing gets a plus in that dept. oddly enough, when I bought the Osprey the Redwing was my second choice at the time. Anyways, will post a trip report when I can.

Edit: not gonna lie, really want that Frost River pack made of waxed canvas.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Do the cargo pants from 5.11 work well for hiking? Specifically, these? All I know about 5.11 is its the apparel of choice of mall ninjas throughout America.

Also, how is a dedicated GPS unit superior to using my iPhone?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

BeefofAges posted:

Those pants look like they'd be okay for hiking. They are 35% cotton though, and cotton kind of sucks when you start sweating. Do you really need pants, though? I do most of my hiking in shorts or a skirt. If it gets cold I put on thermal leggings. I only wear pants if I'll actually be trudging through snow and encountering cold winds and such.

Shorts are the best, I agree. But sometimes, especially during damp spring when I'm kinda standing around, pants are nice to have. :)

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

MMD3 posted:

I just finished up my 10 day NOLS Wilderness First Responder class today. Such an awesome experience, so not looking forward to going back to the office tomorrow.

Highly recommend for any outdoorsy individuals, tons of wisdom packed into a short period of time and a great opportunity to meet some great like-minded individuals.

If anyone has questions about the WFR course I'm happy to answer.

I would actually like to know as much about this course as you can tell me. :allears:

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Anyone use any of the LEAF backpacks by Arcteryx?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
If anyone is interested in buying a Hennessy Hammock, please buy mine.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Suggestions for a decent skillet? Ideally something I can store a plate in.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

i_heart_ponies posted:

Do you have a specific size you are looking for? This one is 7", and is compatible with MSRs cook sets. Most of the time I just use the mini-skillet / fry pan off the top of my Primus LiTech pot and eat directly out of it rather than carrying the weight of an extra plate so I can eat like a civilized human.

I usually do that with skillets as well. But sometimes I'm not alone and then its nice to put our food on individual plates.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Suggestions for some comfy flannel shirts?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Mary loving Poppins posted:

Has anybody ever been to Siuslaw National Forest? I'm trying to plan a multi-day camping trip to either Oregon or Washington and I'd like to do it in a rainforest-like environment. When is the earliest you could expect to swim in the creeks? And what kind of weather can you expect in spring compared to summer?

Wet.

Oregon summers are dry and gorgeous. Any other season is going to be very wet.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

If anyone is looking for a rain jacket, I've got a once-worn Marmot Precip for sale: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3590377

FWIW, I also have this jacket and have been very pleased with it.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Para cord is awful for a tarp ridge line. It stretches. Suggestions for something better?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

mystes posted:

Accessory cord?

This is what I'm after. Thanks!

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

marsisol posted:

Does anyone have the Sawyer Squeeze? I've been thinking about picking one up. Seems like a pretty neat system for 1-2 people.

I do. Pretty nice system. Super lightweight. It lives in my bag and I never take it out because it's so light.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Hammocks are great but just like a tent you DO need a pad or underquilt, or else you WILL get cold.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Anyone looking for a knife should spend $15 in a Mora and call it a day.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

Speaking of defense, does anyone hike with a gun? Some people I talk to about hiking (esp solo backwoods stuff) say that they do/I should carry a gun for bears and/or meth producers, but that seems loving silly.

I'm not anti gun, I grew up in a hunting family but :shrug:

Depends. Up in Oregon I was more worried about running into HIDDEN METH LAB than bears.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Guns have a place in the backcountry. I probably wouldn't bring one to a well-populated park like Yosemite. But if I'm going to BLM land in central California or the Willamette Valley, I would consider bringing something. I'm not sure how it is now, but in Oregon in the 1980s, random pot farms on BLM land weren't uncommon. My best friend's dad was a game warden and would occasionally tell us the spooky poo poo he ran into in the forests of Oregon. But that's just me.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

Then why two fixed blades?

I take two and a Benchmade folder because I own two and a folder.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
P

d3k0y posted:

Kind of what I figured. So since that idea is out the window, does anyone have any suggestions on a lightweight waterproof/resistant tarp? 10x8, 12x10 is the size I am expecting.

That also said, if anyone has done hammock camping, has anyone tried a waterproof cocoon. Instead of having a big tarp overhead, instead using a tube around the hammock, hanging off a separate line. I have similar with my bug netting, maybe I can run a "tarp tube" around me on the same line, so I can peel back the layers if it isn't raining.

Bushcraft Outfitters has some awesome silnylon tarps in various sizes. I own one and love it.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
I have a Sawyer water filter that I tried out today and I was really disappointed in it. No matter how hard I'd squeeze the bag, I couldn't get more than the barest, most meager trickle of water. Actually, more like drops than a trickle. I know it takes a bit of water to get the filter primed, but after ten minutes I gave up. Anyone have any thoughts?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Verman posted:

Gravity filter and don't look back

Probably, but since I already own a Sawyer, I'd like to figure out what is wrong with it rather than buy a new one.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Long shot but does anyone know if a place within an hour of the SF Bay Area where I can hike off-trail? Ideally with some trees?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
So my water filter just isn't flowing at all. Something is wrong with it, compared to the other videos I've seen of it. I want to return it to REI but I bought it over a year ago. Will REI accept an exchange if I'm returning something defective for the same item? Their return policy is somewhat ambiguous on this matter.

Edit: I suppose the best answer is "call them" but as a goon, human interaction terrifies me. :ohdear:

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Speleothing posted:

Have you backflushed it at all in the year you've been using it?

Yes. Also, I have only tried using it once. It's been sitting in a box, forgotten, until a few weeks ago.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Verman posted:

That's weird. What kind of filter is it?

Sawyer Squeeze.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Anyone ever get insomnia while camping? My body is super-fickle about being comfortable when sleeping, and fussing with a bag, small pillow, and air mattress don't help. It's something I can wrestle with even when not camping. Tried 50mg of Benedryl without success. Any thoughts?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
For me it's more of a mental issue: I start thinking about being unable to sleep and get so anxious and stressed from it that I can't sleep. Ugh. Anyways maybe I'll talk to the Goon Doctor about it since thus subject is really beyond the scope if this thread. Thanks!

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Be careful with that though, I tried it on my last camping trip because I'd been having trouble sleeping outdoors and I had some pretty intense nightmares and woke up screaming. It really freaked me out.

Did you ever find anything that works? I was recommended Valarian root or Trazadone.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Kaal posted:

It is, that's a depression medication. Though apparently it's sometimes prescribed as a sedative. Don't rely on that person's medical advice unless they're a doctor, Oxford Comma.

Actually, the person who suggested it *is* a doctor (I'm a nurse and Trazadone is the sleeping med we proscribe more than any other.) She also gave me other suggestions, as well, before trying Rx meds.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
I "sleep" on an Exped Synmat and love it. For a pillow I use a stuff sack with a pillow case over it.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Speleothing posted:

The way we do it with our cave packs is to take the pad and roll it as a hollow tube that goes around the inside of the pack, then everything else fits inside the core of the pad.

Works with foam or self-inflating pads. The real air core pads don't have enough structure to them.

Cave packs? Tell me more.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Speleothing posted:

There's a whole micro-industry of companies that make cave packs and don't give a poo poo about advances in internal frames or hydration sleeves.

I use a Gonzo Guano Gear PEP Duff as my basecamp pack, and switch to either the blue or red Swaygo pack for day-use. Lost Creek is the third major caving brand, and I'd say there's a fairly even split between the three, I just prefer Swaygo for the waterproofness.

Sorry. I meant tell me more about caving. :allears:

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Speleothing posted:

Where do you live? I can try to get you in contact with someone I know.

Caving isn't really like any other sport. You'll hike for hours to reach the entrance, climb 4th class and 5.5 in muddy wellington boots, scramble up scree slopes, crawl for thousands of feet, ascend and rappel fixed ropes, learn to duck-walk without slowing down, and sit with your head between your knees in total darkness eating energy bars while you wait for your team. Then, if you're worth anything at all, you'll reach either a scientific, exploratory, or photography objective and dick around for hours.

A beginning caver needs two or three headlamps, a helmet, kneepads, and a set of dedicated caving clothes & shoes. As you get more into it, you'll start picking up extras like elbow pads and cave-suits and multiple SRT kits and packs of all sizes and survey gear and specialized lights, and all sorts of sundries.

Some caves are friendly, some are hellholes. Some are joint-controlled mazes and some are simple lava tubes and many many are based on flowing water, like a swirling nest of 3-d rivers and tributaries.

God I love caving.

Bay Area of California.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

HolaMundo posted:

I need sleeping bag recommendations.
I'm looking for something that goes down to around 0ºC (doesn't need to go lower) and more importantly that it's small when packed since aside from backpacking I also plan on carrying it when bike touring/bikepacking.

Since I'm going to SF in some days (I don't live in USA) I was planning on checking out REI and North Face so if you have some other places to check out there, that'd be great.

Come to Gilman St in Berkeley. Not only is there an REI but also a North Face Outlet that has some very good deals.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Speleothing posted:

Okay, wnt through my contacts on this and I don't know any cavers in the Bay Area well enough to give you a reference. My West Coast peeps are in San Diego and Oregon. But you can probably find yourself a newbie trip through this link:

http://www.nssio.org/find_grotto_overview.cfm?state=CA

I'll check it out. :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
TFR thinks OC is usually a dumb, stupid idea.