Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

I love hiking, although I didn't get into it until relatively recently, and it's now my preferred way of seeing the world or spending my holidays - three longer vacations this year were spent hiking in some form. I am based in Europe, unlike most of you I gather, so what knowledge I have to offer probably won't be of any use to you unless you decide to venture over here (I won't pretend to any expertise in general hiking/backpacking matters, as I haven't had a chance to do a lot of it).

With that said, the following are hikes that I've done and that I can highly recommend (sorry for the picture dump):

Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park, Georgia

IMG_3122 by Norrskensren

Svaneti, Georgia

Tetnuldi by Norrskensren

Gozo, Malta

Gozo by Norrskensren

Kungsleden (the King's Trail), Lappland, Sweden

Radunjága by Norrskensren, on Flickr

King of the kalfjäll by Norrskensren

GR7, Andalucía, Spain

Tarifa by Norrskensren

Pembrokeshire Coast Path, Wales

IMG_8453 by Norrskensren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

smilehigh posted:

Please tell me more about this, thanks.

I'm moving to the UK in 3ish months and I want to do as much hiking as I possibly can.

Have you done any other UK trails/paths?

Certainly! The trail is actually quite long and runs from Amroth to St Dogmaels, always along the coast, so you can do parts of it going from town to town, or you can stay in one place and just hike different parts each day (public transport is your friend here). You're walking up and down the cliffs a lot, and you never lose sight of the sea. It's not really a hike to choose if you want to be far away from civilisation because you're always in the vicinity of settlements. However, it is really beautiful, and if you're lucky like I was you'll get to see some fuzzy baby seals hanging out in the coves. And little flocks of Welsh ponies seemingly firmly attached to the most impossible of cliffs.

It's not a difficult hike. The constant up and down can get a bit tiring with a heavy backpack, but you're not going to kill yourself. Bring walking sticks, your knees will thank you.

I walked the northernmost part (from St David's to Pwll Deri) since it was supposed to be the most beautiful and remote one. It's possible to hike it with tents, though you're only allowed to pitch them in campsites. Because the emphasis for me was on "holiday" I opted to walk between youth hostels. The path is pretty well served with accommodation and a good bus network catering specifically to hikers. The downside is it can all get kind of crowded, but if you're interested in meeting like-minded people from all walks of life it's fantastic.

I haven't done much hiking elsewhere in the UK, though I've been for day hikes in the Peak District before, an area I would highly recommend you to explore! I've also heard many good things about the Pennine Way (which I almost did before ultimately deciding for Pembrokeshire, mostly because I was born in a coastal town and felt the sea call) and the South West Coast Path. Other areas worth checking out are Snowdonia (Wales) and all of Scotland, which I sadly have no personal experience of so far.